LA LA - Nanette Watson Krentel, 49, found dead in house fire, Lacombe, 14 Jul 2017

My husband is a Lt. in his fire department and I sent him the sept. 13 article. I texted it to him and said "Fire Chief is in trouble". He replied "He's a chief. He knows that a gun shot wound to the head would show up. She started the house on fire then killed herself or killed herself and left something on the stove. " it didn't say anything in that article about suicide.

I don't know that I agree that she killed herself, but he also said that he could of killed her other ways and it not show up. That he would of known a bullet would show.

Yes, of course. That would be an a rational assumption. Murdering someone is not a rational act though. Her murder could have been the result of a fit of rage and the fire an afterthought. Whoever did this might have took the gamble that the coroner would miss the bullet whole or conclude it was suicide. Also a gun would have had to have been nearby for this to first been labeled a suicide, because the absence of such would be an obvious homicide.

I wonder who's gun it was. If it wasn't registered to either Nanette or Steve, then it might have been an unknown person to either of them. Maybe she came home to robbery? But a thief wouldn't care to make it look like a suicide.

So the real question remains, why would someone want to make it appear to be suicide?

Yes, of course. That would be an a rational assumption. Murdering someone is not a rational act though. Her murder could have been the result of a fit of rage and the fire an afterthought. Whoever did this might have took the gamble that the coroner would miss the bullet whole or conclude it was suicide. Also a gun would have had to have been nearby for this to first been labeled a suicide, because the absence of such would be an obvious homicide.

I wonder who's gun it was. If it wasn't registered to either Nanette or Steve, then it might have been an unknown person to either of them. Maybe she came home to robbery? But a thief wouldn't care to make it look like a suicide.

So the real question remains, why would someone want to make it appear to be suicide?

I'm not sure someone intended to make it look like a suicide. This is just my personal opinion, but 1) either the gun wasn't found (or not near enough to be deemed suicide), or 2) the location of the bullet would was inconsistent with suicide. Perhaps both.

A thief probably wouldn't bother to try make it look like a suicide, but what if the perpetrator left behind DNA? Hypothetical scenario: Perhaps there was a struggle, she fought back, the perp was injured and bled on the carpet. Maybe the perp set the fire to destroy his or her DNA. Just a thought.

I'm not sure someone intended to make it look like a suicide. This is just my personal opinion, but 1) either the gun wasn't found (or not near enough to be deemed suicide), or 2) the location of the bullet would was inconsistent with suicide. Perhaps both.

A thief probably wouldn't bother to try make it look like a suicide, but what if the perpetrator left behind DNA? Hypothetical scenario: Perhaps there was a struggle, she fought back, the perp was injured and bled on the carpet. Maybe the perp set the fire to destroy his or her DNA. Just a thought.

You mean like if she was raped. Totally plausible. But I'm betting a gun was there. A thief, who is trying to make money in illegal terms, isn't about to leave behind an expensive item (all guns are costly). And if a thief with a possible record, guns are hard to obtain.

My money is on someone that knew she would be there alone, who knew her routine. A frequent family member, friend, neighbor. And really, who was the last to see her alive? Typically, people are killed by someone they know rather than random. But of course that does happen. But seemingly Nanette had no enemies.

You mean like if she was raped. Totally plausible. But I'm betting a gun was there. A thief, who is trying to make money in illegal terms, isn't about to leave behind an expensive item (all guns are costly). And if a thief with a possible record, guns are hard to obtain.

My money is on someone that knew she would be there alone, who knew her routine. A frequent family member, friend, neighbor. And really, who was the last to see her alive? Typically, people are killed by someone they know rather than random. But of course that does happen. But seemingly Nanette had no enemies.

Yes, that thought (SA) crossed my mind, too.

Good point about a thief not wanting to leave a gun behind.

I wish we knew whether the gun was found at the scene.

Force Ten, what do you make of the thought that her pets were also shot?

"Meanwhile, the St. Tammany Coroner's Office confirmed the pets found in the fire with Nanette, we're told two cats and a dog, underwent necropsies at LSU. The results of how they died have been received, but aren't being released at this time. Court documents, filed by the family to get an independent autopsy done on Nanette, indicate the animals were shot too."

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nor...ls-in-the-murder-of-nanette-krentel/474955976

Yes, that thought (SA) crossed my mind, too.

Good point about a thief not wanting to leave a gun behind.

I wish we knew whether the gun was found at the scene.

Force Ten, what do you make of the thought that her pets were also shot?

"Meanwhile, the St. Tammany Coroner's Office confirmed the pets found in the fire with Nanette, we're told two cats and a dog, underwent necropsies at LSU. The results of how they died have been received, but aren't being released at this time. Court documents, filed by the family to get an independent autopsy done on Nanette, indicate the animals were shot too."

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nor...ls-in-the-murder-of-nanette-krentel/474955976

It is curious. Seems more to validate that this was a personal vendetta.

It is curious. Seems more to validate that this was a personal vendetta.

I thought the same. A dog being shot, if it was trying to protect its owner, might not be shocking (sad but not shocking). Shooting two cats, though....

(Assuming the article is correct.)

No enemies, but maybe a husband having an affair with a co-worker.

No enemies, but maybe a husband having an affair with a co-worker.

Does anyone know how the state Fire Marshall or LA equivalent is contacted in the event of a fire? I'm not sure if they investigate all fires or only if the fires are suspicious. If they are contacted in the event of a fire, it seems that the fire chief would likely be the one to make the call. Admittedly, I'm clueless how this all works and could be terribly wrong on all counts.

I'd be curious is there had been any locals arrested for arson in the time NWK's husband has been chief. Specifically, any that had been recently released or one that was never officially charged but was a suspect/POI in the investigation.

Does anyone know how the state Fire Marshall or LA equivalent is contacted in the event of a fire? I'm not sure if they investigate all fires or only if the fires are suspicious. If they are contacted in the event of a fire, it seems that the fire chief would likely be the one to make the call. Admittedly, I'm clueless how this all works and could be terribly wrong on all counts.

I'd be curious is there had been any locals arrested for arson in the time NWK's husband has been chief. Specifically, any that had been recently released or one that was never officially charged but was a suspect/POI in the investigation.

Thanks for the fresh eyes. This article linked below mentions the state fire marshal's office: Brant Thompson, chief deputy with the fire marshal's office.

A little back story: sheriff Randy Smith assumed office as St. Tammany Sheriff on July 1, 2016 after winning the seat from long time incumbent, Jack Strain. Smith was the former police chief of the city of Slidell, located within in St. Tammany Parish.

A Louisiana parish is the equivalent to other state's counties. St. Tammany Parish comprises several cities, towns and villages, including Slidell, Pearl River, Lacombe, Mandeville, Madisonville, Covington, Folsom, Bush, Abita Springs and a few others.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_eb1e0626-70c0-11e7-9c84-37564f135c4c.html

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nor...de-ruling-in-fire-chief-wifes-death/474381187

I cannot seem to link the correct Facebook post by WWL TV. If you go to their FB page and scroll to their post on Thursday, 9/14 around 10:22 am, read the comments.

there are some interesting comments by WW who shares the same name as Nanette's sister ...scroll and view photos. Posted two hours ago? Am I reading this correctly?

It almost feels like someone mad at the husband.... to lose his wife and pets and his house, all set on FIRE.... the exact thing his life works to control. Feels more against him than her. Maybe they need to look for HIS enemies

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It would seem that if he were having an affair that would have been discovered by now. An affair certainly gives motive and I can not imagine clearing him so quickly if this is the case. Why is it taking so long to get answers to relatively simple questions? Either he was or was not having an affair, this would take less than an hour to determine, the gun was either near her or it was not and what other tests were the high sheriff waiting on in order to be of one mind with the coroner? I understand the need to not release details of the investigation but this is coming off as more of a cover up than a professional inquest.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/nor...de-ruling-in-fire-chief-wifes-death/474381187

I cannot seem to link the correct Facebook post by WWL TV. If you go to their FB page and scroll to their post on Thursday, 9/14 around 10:22 am, read the comments.

there are some interesting comments by WW who shares the same name as Nanette's sister ...scroll and view photos. Posted two hours ago? Am I reading this correctly?

Good catch. I only saw one post from WW but I've seen the name of the person in the picture in different discussion threads.

This is where the complete absurdity comes in. For me, YES, the state Fire Marshall should have been involved from the beginning when it was determined she had been shot. The home was burned down for cryin out loud. Now imagine if this were a police chief's wife, that same office would not or should not be investigating but another source like the state police.

There might be some legs growing on this.

I'm quoting myself because I cannot edit my previous post but didn't want to send anyone on a wild goose chase. One of the comments has been deleted altogether and the other edited so the context is no longer clear (name and hashtag deleted).

Here's an article from 9/25 in which Nanette's sister and father were interviewed. There were several brief audio clips, well worth listening to, which discusses:

* that the scene of the house fire was never secured as a crime scene and released to the husband/fire chief

* that the husband/police chief appeared surprised when COD (gun shot) was released

* the theory that there was a lightning strike near the house and Nanette must've been overcome with smoke and therefore couldn't escape with her pets

* the mention of one person of whom Nanette was afraid (this person is not named a suspect so I cannot name him here per TOS...but he is named in the article and audio clip).

http://kscj.com/2017/09/25/family-slain-sioux-city-native-hopes-answers-justice/

Here's an article from 9/25 in which Nanette's sister and father were interviewed. There were several brief audio clips, well worth listening to, which discusses:

* that the scene of the house fire was never secured as a crime scene and released to the husband/fire chief

* that the husband/police chief appeared surprised when COD (gun shot) was released

* the theory that there was a lightning strike near the house and Nanette must've been overcome with smoke and therefore couldn't escape with her pets

* the mention of one person of whom Nanette was afraid (this person is not named a suspect so I cannot name him here per TOS...but he is named in the article and audio clip).

http://kscj.com/2017/09/25/family-slain-sioux-city-native-hopes-answers-justice/
OMG.I'm speechless the fire was never secured as a crime scene.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back