LA LA - New Orleans, WhtFem 32-45, UP848, in vacant lot, decayed teeth, scar, Feb'02

Spoke to the MP detective today. He is going to make contact with the NOLA folks and see what happens.

thanks for keeping on this case! i still think its a solid possibility! hopefully you can give this UID a name soon!

I was just catching up on UID cases and thought I would comment on this. I lived in New Orleans (Irish Channel area) during the months when this UID was found. My daughter was born that January, and I still remember that it was a remarkably mild winter, and rainy. Don't know that it makes much difference IRT this doe or decomposition thereof, but there you have it.

Haven't heard anything on this case yet - not that I expected to just yet, but I had a minute to look around and found this site, which answers at least one of our questions:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/?n=mg_history

This shows the weather during Mardi Gras in 2002 was a high of 59 and a low of 36. So I can see how if she was lying there for up to 24 hours with no clothing there could have been some exposure trauma. The Doe Network page says police think she was "killed" so I'm guessing exposure was not the cause of death, and that perhaps the cause of death is being held back by LE for investigative purposes.

Haven't heard anything on this case yet - not that I expected to just yet, but I had a minute to look around and found this site, which answers at least one of our questions:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/?n=mg_history

This shows the weather during Mardi Gras in 2002 was a high of 59 and a low of 36. So I can see how if she was lying there for up to 24 hours with no clothing there could have been some exposure trauma. The Doe Network page says police think she was "killed" so I'm guessing exposure was not the cause of death, and that perhaps the cause of death is being held back by LE for investigative purposes.
Irish Eyes, Mardi Gras was on February 12 that year, but her body was found on February 24, 2-24 hours post mortem. The Weather Underground link I posted previously shows the temperatures were a little warmer on the 23-24 -- 48/60-ish -- with little precipitation the entire month.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNEW/2002/2/24/DailyHistory.html

Ugh. There are 12 ruleouts but Janet is not one. Here are the ruleouts:

Carol Donn 1963 Florida
Terrill Girard 1963 Florida
Kim Gonzalez 1959 Virginia
Nelda Hardwick 1959 Louisiana
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Tereasa Knuth 1958 Colorado
Paula Merchant 1973 South Carolina
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Gwendolyn Suchy 1954 Texas
Nadine Timm 1935 Illinois
Vernette Wester 1947 Arizona

However, Janet and Doe both have DNA in system - though not sure if both have same kind. The LSU FACES lab is now the case contact in NAMUS. Would they have checked this do you think?

Ugh. There are 12 ruleouts but Janet is not one. Here are the ruleouts:

Carol Donn 1963 Florida
Terrill Girard 1963 Florida
Kim Gonzalez 1959 Virginia
Nelda Hardwick 1959 Louisiana
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Tereasa Knuth 1958 Colorado
Paula Merchant 1973 South Carolina
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Gwendolyn Suchy 1954 Texas
Nadine Timm 1935 Illinois
Vernette Wester 1947 Arizona

However, Janet and Doe both have DNA in system - though not sure if both have same kind. The LSU FACES lab is now the case contact in NAMUS. Would they have checked this do you think?

and you never heard back about the submission?

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I'm new so I throw this out there...could she have been a stripper? I have a friend who has been a dancer for a while & whenever a Super Bowl comes to town, dancers go there bc they make a lot of money over that weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I'm new so I throw this out there...could she have been a stripper? I have a friend who has been a dancer for a while & whenever a Super Bowl comes to town, dancers go there bc they make a lot of money over that weekend.

Hi, Jacee, and welcome. You make an excellent point. It also was carnival season, which draws many adult entertainment workers to the city each year. The fact that no one reported her missing -- meaning she wasn't here with family or friends -- supports that idea, too.

bergen_kayla.jpg
324UFLA.jpg

Kayla Sue Bergen

Bergen's eyes appear to be truly brown.

that would be a long time to be off the radar before being killed. how does LE usually handle minor drug or prostitution arrests? is it possible to give an alias and just be booked under that without any official ID?

Yes Jerri. It happens all the time with prostitution arrests especially before things were computerized. Gal gives fake name and if she has no ID on her that's all they use, probably making a note it could be an alias.

Actually I just checked the Charley Project & it said she had 2 tattoos. Disregard this one.

I think what they were saying is that they have DNA, Dental, and Fingerprints on her, but were unable to make any matches via the national databases.

I thought it was odd that a body dead for less than 24 hours would be damaged from exposure. Even considering how hard it rains sometimes in New Orleans, I can't imagine that a single day of exposure would damage a body .

i have been to new orleans a few times at that time of year, it was quite warm and humid. im not sure how it was in 02, but isnt humidity and heat hard on a pm body?

Some info about the Superbowl in 2002, just as a backgounder. All just info from wikipedia that caught my eye as I tried to work out how likely it was she was attending the game.

-New England Patriots defeated St Louis Rams on Feb 3rd.
-The game had originally been scheduled for the 27th of Jan, but had to be rescheduled as a consequence of the terrorist attacks on the 9th of September 2001.
-Moving the date of such a major event with less than six month's notice was a very difficult thing to accomplish and included having to move forward the date of a National Automobile Dealers Association Convention that was booked to the sporting facility.
Source, wikipedia.

Mardi Gras 2002 was Feb 12th.
Source http://nutrias.org/facts/mgdates.htm

Also, New Orleans seemed to be a very busy city in 2002 and if she was visiting to attend an event she could just as well be associated with any of the dozens of trade conventions or cultural events like music festivals that happened there.

agree, its very unlikely to me that she was in town for the superbowl, as it was weeks prior and she had ony been deceased about a day. unless she was a prostitute on the "circuit", and business was good and she stayed around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back