Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/ Murder in the First Degree #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a complicated personal life he led.

Illustrative of his attitude of invincibility, and cocky self-assuredness that he could continue to manipulate everyone around him - even his apparent nearest and dearest - with complete success and zero consequence. (imo)

Don't count on that date as an approximate date of which the trial will start Snooper...being as DM is representing himself. He seems to have a habit of dragging his feet and manipulating the system. Here's hoping the judge puts his foot down on any such nonsense DM tries to pull off, and the sooner the better. DM is going to make a total jackazz idiot out of himself...oh wait he did that a long time ago. Jackazz idiot is putting it mildly actually.

So do we have word on reporters will be covering LB's trial on a daily basis?

My deepest condolences goes out to Laura's family and friends during this most difficult time. Justice will prevail. ALL MOO.

Don't count on that date as an approximate date of which the trial will start Snooper...

Yeah, the 23rd is only the earliest date possible. I don't see the trial beginning before then. We'll see what happens with delays...

Does anyone else see a real possibility for a mistrial here? How long do we think Dungey is going to take to ask for one?

I feel so bad for LB's family. What a disgrace.

MOO

Does anyone else see a real possibility for a mistrial here? How long do we think Dungey is going to take to ask for one?

I feel so bad for LB's family. What a disgrace.

MOO
Yes. What a nightmare. I wonder if that is the plan anyway to begin with.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Interesting info:

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/lesage_code/chapter_7.php

[h=1]Chapter 7 - Managing the Unrepresented Accused[/h]Whatever the reason for his or her status, the self-represented accused is usually ill-equipped to conduct a criminal trial. He or she comes to court with a rudimentary understanding of the trial process, often influenced by misleading depictions from television shows and the movies. His or her knowledge of substantive legal principles is limited to that derived from reading an annotated Criminal Code. He or she is unaware of procedural and evidentiary rules. Even once made aware of the rules, he or she is reluctant to comply with them, or has difficulty doing so. The limitations imposed by the concept of relevance are not understood or are ignored, and the focus of the trial is often on tangential matters. Questions, whether in examination-in-chief or cross-examination, are not framed properly. Rambling, disjointed or convoluted questions are the norm. The opportunity to make submissions is viewed as an opportunity to give evidence without entering the witness box.

I remember awhile ago, it being discussed that DM seemed to be trying to manipulate the timing of the trials... where the Crown wants the LB trial to go first.. but DM has seemed to try every trick in the book to make it occur after the WM trial... I wonder if this is yet another scheme to have the LB trial mistried, so that it can occur AFTER his father's case... I wonder what the reasoning is for him wanting the order changed.. but going on what was written and what was said by the courts previously, they are ON to him... so I am sure they will be very on the ball for keeping him in line. We can all hope, anyway??

Yes. What a nightmare. I wonder if that is the plan anyway to begin with.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Well I think the plan is to f@#k with the system in every which way that he can because it amuses him. Wherever that takes him and the rest of the players in this sorry saga is not of any concern to him.

MOO

Interesting info:

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/lesage_code/chapter_7.php

[h=1]Chapter 7 - Managing the Unrepresented Accused[/h]Whatever the reason for his or her status, the self-represented accused is usually ill-equipped to conduct a criminal trial. He or she comes to court with a rudimentary understanding of the trial process, often influenced by misleading depictions from television shows and the movies. His or her knowledge of substantive legal principles is limited to that derived from reading an annotated Criminal Code. He or she is unaware of procedural and evidentiary rules. Even once made aware of the rules, he or she is reluctant to comply with them, or has difficulty doing so. The limitations imposed by the concept of relevance are not understood or are ignored, and the focus of the trial is often on tangential matters. Questions, whether in examination-in-chief or cross-examination, are not framed properly. Rambling, disjointed or convoluted questions are the norm. The opportunity to make submissions is viewed as an opportunity to give evidence without entering the witness box.

Interesting reading. Thanks for posting. Hopefully the judge takes control of this very quickly.

My understanding is that even if unrepresented a court appointed attorney is with the Defendant to explain and help with the process. Not that it's going to help that much but at least it's something. So essentially a lawyer is present whether DM wants him or not.

Can anyone confirm that?

Susan Clairmont‏ @susanclairmont
Jury selection tomorrow in Laura #Babcock murder trial. Dellen #Millard & Mark #Smich accused. I won’t be covering this one. #hamont
10:19 PM - 11 Oct 2017

A little more on one of the 3 Matthews, MW:

In one arrest, LE seized drugs from 4 locations:

111.04 grams of cocaine, 58.29 grams of crack cocaine, and just over $7000.00 from a hotel room;

29.76 grams of crack cocaine from his car;

1772.56 grams of powder cocaine with an estimated street value of $141,769 to $177,200.00;
8.55 grams of crack cocaine with an estimated street value of $720-$900;
173.21 grams of heroin with an estimated street value of $20,400 to $27,000;
1273 grams of marijuana with an estimated street value of $9000 to $11,250....from a condo;

AND 13.67 grams of cocaine from MW's home.

Cell phone evidence strikes again:

On January 22, 2014 Homicide Squad officers obtained search warrants to examine the two cell phones that the police seized from Mr. Wawrykiewicz in December 2013. The police examined the images on the phones. The phones contained photographs and videos. There was a video of Ms. Poulter counting money. In the background of the video was a digital scale, a box of baking soda, and packages of a white substance. The police believed that the packages contained cocaine. There was also a photograph from a window which permitted the police to identify 105 The Queensway as the address where the video was filmed.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/d...AAAAAQAMV2F3cnlraWV3aWN6AAAAAAE&resultIndex=2

Mr. Wawrykiewicz is currently 31 years old. According to Mr. Lafontaine, his father raised him. He has a close relationship with his father and his father’s wife. He graduated from high school. The information about his employment history is sketchy. There is no documentation at all regarding his employment since he graduated from high school. According to Mr. Lafontaine he has worked as a labourer at a bakery and loading trucks. Apparently he has some construction skills. According to Mr. Lafontaine, Mr. Wawrykiewicz inherited 83 Humbercrest from his grandfather. While he was on bail he renovated it. When he inherited the property it was appraised in 2014 at $500,000.00. After Mr. Wawrykiewicz renovated it he sold it for $1.8 million, thus yielding a substantial profit. Mr. Wawrykiewicz provided no documents or other evidence to support this contention, but I am prepared to take him at his word on the point. There is no other evidence of employment, post-secondary education, or community involvement, or family relationships or friendships.

The offences involve professional drug dealing at a high level. Furthermore, the existence of the bullet-proof vests, the brass knuckles, and the stun gun suggest a more robust type of criminality than one usually finds in the average drug dealer.

I find that Mr. Wawrykiewicz is a large-scale professional commercial drug dealer. A court does not need expert evidence to come to that common-sense conclusion. The large quantity of drugs, the large amounts of cash, the weapons, the personal protective equipment, the lack of any other significant employment, and the continued drug activity in the face of outstanding charges are all indicators that Mr. Wawrykiewicz makes his living from drug trafficking. And a lucrative living it is – he was partying at the Marriott Hotel, he was using a condominium as a work location in addition to his home, and he was shopping at expensive stores such as Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen.

Mr. Mitschele argues for the Crown that Mr. Wawrykiewicz was trafficking at the kilogram level. The police seized empty packaging consistent and with kilogram level trafficking from the Queensway location. He also points to the very large amount of cash seized by the police.

(recall MWJ was busted with 1/2 kilococaine too.)

I suppose that is a dilemma for a professional drug dealer where the police have found some, but not all of his or her inventory, he is released on bail, and he needs to liquidate it. The inventory is vulnerable to attempts by the competition to rob it. Mr. Wawrykiewicz likely had the weapons and personal protective equipment to guard it. In fact, I do so find beyond a reasonable doubt. Mr. Wawrykiewicz must have also had quite a lot of money tied up in that inventory. He may well have purchased the cocaine on consignment, which could have meant serious trouble with people other than law enforcement in the future. There is no evidence one way or the other, and I must not speculate about it. That said, it is not exactly the kind of dilemma that generates any sympathy. I do not agree that I should look at the second drug seizure as part of one transaction. I find that continuing to commit further serious drug offences while on bail is a serious aggravating factor. I note as well that Mr. Wawrykiewicz finds himself in custody again on another set of drug charges, although I am mindful that he enjoys the presumption of innocence on that offence. I am also mindful of Mr. Lafontaine’s comments that he appears not to be a major player in that offence.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/d...AAAAAQAMV2F3cnlraWV3aWN6AAAAAAE&resultIndex=1

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03
Jury selection gets underway today in Laura Babcock murder trial. Trial of Dellen Millard, Mark Smich expected to begin Monday, Oct 23. 1)
7:03 AM - 12 Oct 2017

Four days set aside for jury selection. 2)

Only for subscribers. I'm trying to discover a way to pay journalists to deliver this type of coverage to readers who want it. Mainstream 1)

ABro is tweeting a bit from her @TrialLive account which is by subscription.

I will likely be going to the trial when possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex PiersonVerified account @AlexpiersonAMP
Who is the judge?

Justice Michael Code

Code was appointed to the Supreme Court in 2009. Before that:

Michael Code, B.A. (Toronto) 1972, LL.B. (Toronto) 1976, LL.M. (Toronto) 1991 is one of Canada's most outstanding appellate lawyers and has argued many ground-breaking Charter cases at the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He served as Assistant Deputy Minister of Justice in Ontario, and as part of his duties oversaw the lengthy Bernardo prosecution and the infamous plea bargain of Bernardo's wife and co-accused, Karla Homolka. Prof. Code also served as defence counsel in the "Air India" terrorism trial and is currently working on a project on the mega-trial. He received his call to the Bar of Ontario in 1981. From 1981 until 1991, he practised with the Toronto firm of Ruby and Edwardh where he specialized in criminal and constitutional litigation. Prof. Code has lectured in criminal law at Woodsworth College, U of T, and in evidence law at Osgoode Hall Law School. He was an editor of the Canadian Rights Reporter from its inception in 1982 until 1996. In 1996, he returned to private practice with the firm of Sack Goldblatt Mitchell. He was a visiting scholar at the U of T Faculty of Law in 2005-06.

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/news/press-releases/four-new-faculty-join-u-t-faculty-law

Is Ann Brocklehurst‏ the only one covering the trial?

I haven't been able to find an article about the fact that Millard is self representing, only a tweet.

Is Ann Brocklehurst‏ the only one covering the trial?

I haven't been able to find an article about the fact that Millard is self representing, only a tweet.

Yes, there seems to be no one on this right now except Brocklehurst. She is tweeting some info on @TrialLive, which you sign up for through her Patreon account (just go to https://twitter.com/TrialLive and there is a link there.)

Lots of cutbacks in the news industry and the majors aren't covering this (yet?) so this seems to be the only channel for news right now.

Yes, there seems to be no one on this right now except Brocklehurst. She is tweeting some info on @TrialLive, which you sign up for through her Patreon account (just go to https://twitter.com/TrialLive and there is a link there.)

Lots of cutbacks in the news industry and the majors aren't covering this (yet?) so this seems to be the only channel for news right now.

Thanks for the info! I'm already signed up to @TrialLive, I backed AB's earlier indiegogo campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde