Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.12.17 - Final Charge - *Verdict Watch*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
8m8 minutes ago

Meneses testified that she loved #Smich but he mistreated her and called her "the b!tch." She didn't like Millard; he made her feel uncomfortable, "she ends up having a difficult time with both of them." #LauraBabcock

Meneses saw a gun at Millard's house and expressed a desire to shoot it, so Millard took her to his farm to shoot at targets. She denied going across the border to get ammunition for Millard, or smuggling it across the border. She remembered shopping at a mall. #LauraBabcock

Meneses agreed she lied to police May 22 2013 in her first interview with police, about having seen the incinerator and other things, bc she was young and nervous. She also admitted lying on the stand about never having fired the gun. She corrected herself after. #LauraBabcock

Much of Millard's evidence came out in the cross examinations, Justice Code says, much of this has already been summarized. Millard tendered five admissions, which have also been summarized. #LauraBabcock

Millard submitted further text messages between he and #LauraBabcock, and a number of text messages where the words "that girl" are used in different contexts.

I'm going out on a limb here....I think they jurors will reach a verdict very quickly. I'm basing this on the various tweets about their body language i.e. rolling eyes etc. I think they are thoroughly disgusted with these two.

I think you’re correct and I agree with All that said Friday or before Friday.

What a great Christmas present for the Babcock for Both DM and MS to be found guilty of M1. It doesn’t bring LB back or undo what these monsters did or repair the broken hearts but it will finally be some closure for her family!

Rest In Peace LB, Justice is almost here :rose:

I thought that a verdict would be forthcoming very quickly after during the TB trial and was very surprised that it took as long as it did for the Jury to come back with a verdict. In fact I thought it was a slam dunk based on the wealth of evidence.

I'm going to take a conservative approach here and say that a verdict will be delivered by Friday, probably early afternoon and I see a gulty of M1 for both. I think DM will be found guilty immediately. I think discussion is going to ensue over MS. He's the wild card in this one I think but I have faith in the Jury. I believe they will see their way to convict him as well.

Code goes through some of the court admissions brought forward by Millard.

One of them is about the gun Millard purchased days before Babcock disappeared, that was eventually found in his home in the fall of 2012.

The admission says the gun was sold to Millard without bullets.
by Shannon Martin 10:41 AM

Code reminds the jury about the "large number of text messages about Mr. Millard's sleeping habits" that Millard entered as evidence.

Code says these texts also include references to Millard's girlfriends.

In July 29, 2012, for example, Millard's friend Andrew Michalski asks "how's things with you/Jen and you/Christina."

Millard writes back, "Jenn's in Europe with her bf. Christina's asleep in my bed."
by Shannon Martin 10:46 AM

He's wrapping the Meneses evidence. #LauraBabcock

I didn't realize that Justice Code was a musician as well as a judge.

I sure hope MS is enjoying it.....

Thanks for picking up Lisa Hepfner's tweets Kamille, Shannon misses a lot... :gaah:

I have a question regarding a comparison of US trials vs. Canadian Trials.

Does the Judge is the US charge the Jury by going over every piece of evidence, or do they just explain the charges and how to find the defendant guilty or not guilty?

I find this particular Charge to the Jury extremely detailed and I have to admit, I'm confused. I don't remember this at the TB trial. I do remember the decision trees which I haven't heard Judge Code discuss yet or else I've skimmed over it.

TIA

After following Code's charge and review of the evidence (some of which I must have missed) I have to agree that they are both going to get M1. When you consider the totality of the evidence against MS, it really is clear that he was involved in the preparations and he had to know that LB was going to be murdered.

I also concur with Friday afternoon. Jurors typically hate to deliberate over the weekend and that should be enough time for them to strong arm any holdouts.

BBM, I totally disagree. In fact I think there is an absence of evidence linking him to the planning of this crime. A few texts about bones? It has been showed time and time again that Millard was using either the garbage or animal incineration story to explain the incinerators presence. You are assuming that Smich was the only person he told of his true intentions. Smich suggests testing on a dog, which would be in line with what he was told.

That said, the judge did not make it overly clear in his charge to the jury that Smich's assistance needed to be before or after the actual killing. So technically Smich assisted in the crime by helping dispose of the body (I think we all agree on that). Is that M1? I'm not sure at this point?

6m6 minutes ago
Millard often complained about not getting enough sleep, or working long days, & needing naps. He also has lots of girlfriends evident in his messages. "i have girls... asking to sleep over and I'm not even interested cause I keep thinking about Jenn or Christina." #LauraBabcock

5m5 minutes ago
July 29, 2012, upon a Michalski inquiry, #Millard writes, "Jenn's in Europe with her bf. Christina's asleep in my bed." #LauraBabcock

3m3 minutes ago
Millard's book-keeper Lisa Williams testified about the writing at the bottom of the incinerator invoice, which was found in Millard's Yukon upon his arrest. Williams recognized Millard's father's handwriting, her own, and Dellen Millard's writing. #LauraBabcock

2m2 minutes ago
Williams said MillardAir was to do maintenance on aircrafts. She didn't ask why a "cremator" was being purchased for this business, or ask whether it was a legitimate expense. She's married to Charles Dubien, who had heard Millard was starting a pet incineration business.

55s56 seconds ago
Gabe Austerweil also testified for #Millard. He's a corporate recruiter whose son had a 3-month relationship with #LauraBabcock at the beginning of 2012. She would sleep over at their home several times a week. He had met her parents.

Code now summarizes the testimony from Millard's family book keeper, Lisa Williams, who remains on the Millard payroll.

She told the court Millard's father, Wayne, had signed off on the incinerator purchase.

Here is our story on Williams, scroll partway through:
smich-millard-babcock.jpg
Accused killers Millard and Smich won't testify at Laura Babcock murder trial
After weeks of speculation over whether accused killer Dellen Millard would put himself in the witness box, the Toronto man who has been acting as his own lawyer confirmed in court Wednesday that he won't.
by Shannon Martin 10:52 AM

BBM, I totally disagree. In fact I think there is an absence of evidence linking him to the planning of this crime. A few texts about bones? It has been showed time and time again that Millard was using either the garbage or animal incineration story to explain the incinerators presence. You are assuming that Smich was the only person he told of his true intentions. Smich suggests testing on a dog, which would be in line with what he was told.

That said, the judge did not make it overly clear in his charge to the jury that Smich's assistance needed to be before or after the actual killing. So technically Smich assisted in the crime by helping dispose of the body (I think we all agree on that). Is that M1? I'm not sure at this point?
What was the purpose of the gun?
MS hooked DM up with MWJ...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Code reminds the jury about Gabe Austerweil's testimony. His son briefly dated Babcock.

Austerweil told the court that he thought he saw Babcock in a Toronto nut store, when he was buying dried goods, in October 2012 - though this date conflicts with what he later told police.

He believed Babcock went missing "on her own accord."
by Shannon Martin 10:57 AM

Code reminds the jury that when the Crown presented Austerweil with this photo of Babcock, he did not recognize her.

f558008b-4be7-4645-9333-4bea45e51235_500.jpg
Court exhibit

by Shannon Martin 10:59 AM

I get where you're coming from andreww. If they're going to use the knowledge and procurement of the gun(s) and the incinerator against MS for M1 in this particular case, I've never quite understood how they justify what MWJ and SS probably knew of DM's plans for them as well. The way I see it is that MS is facing the charge because he was there in the house on the night she died and he helped with the incineration 20 days later. Still don't see any proof that he knew DM was going to kill LB that night or that he took part in it. :dunno:

MOO

The judge now moves into Millard's third defence witness, Dr. Scott Rufolo, who was allowed to give evidence in the field of zooarchaeology, which is the analysis of animal remains at archaeological sites.

Rufolo's speciality is the study of ancient history and human antiquities. He'd never testified in court as an expert and does not study human bones.
by Shannon Martin 11:05 AM

11m11 minutes ago

Austerweil thought #LauraBabcock's parents were nice people. He heard the media reports when she went missing. One day he was shopping at a nut store and saw a woman he believed to be #LauraBabcock at the cashier. Shopping for dietary hemp.

Austerweil was 97 per cent sure that it was #LauraBabcock's voice and face, and he was shocked because he knew she was missing. This woman was a lot thinner, and was dressed in tight clothes, "like a hooker," unlike the #LauraBabcock he had known.

Austerweil did not contact #LauraBabcock's parents or police because he had formed the opinion that she had wanted to go missing, judge recounts. He assumed she'd left the country to take an acting job somewhere. Police contacted him later.

Austerweil was confused on the stand about when he saw the woman in the nut store.. thought it was October, not the following spring like he had first told police. #LauraBabcock

Austerweil was also shown photos of #LauraBabcock and did not think they were true images of his son's former girlfriend. That was still his position when he saw the photos in court.

Millard played the video of #LauraBabcock that was captured on her phone July 1st by Stefan Blasiuk for Austerweil, and played it three times. Austerweil was asked, do you recognize this person? Austerweil replied no, no.

Then Austerweil was asked if he recognized "anything" and he changed his mind, and said there was one camera angle that looked like #LauraBabcock. The voice and hair was different from the woman he knew, who had dark and and a confident voice.

Here is a photo of Dr. Rufolo on the day he appeared in court:
52b9e3b7-90f5-4741-a31b-7a3004cc6809_500.jpeg
CBC News
by Shannon Martin 11:06 AM

Dr. Rufolo was confident two objects photographed burning in the incinerator were bones, but he waffled whether they were human or animal bones.

Here is our story from his testimony:
Millard calls expert in zooarcheology to testify at Laura Babcock murder trial
03622b80-232d-4b61-bef8-01e408078363_500.jpg
Dellen Millard called three witnesses Tuesday, including an expert in animal bones, at the Laura Babcock murder trial in Toronto. The accused killer is acting as his own lawyer in Ontario Superior Court.
by Shannon Martin 11:08 AM

4m4 minutes ago
Scott Rufalo was called by #Millard and gave his opinion in zooarcheology. He works as a research assistant a t the Canadian Museum of nature in Ottawa, in Palaeobiology. He's not a forensic anthropologist like Tracy Rogers. His training is in ancient history.

6m6 minutes ago
Rufalo had the two blurry photos that appear to depict something burning at the bottom of the incinerator. He is not an expert in human bones, but animal bones, and was asked if what was in the incinerator could be deer bones. He concluded they are bones, difficult to tell.

3m3 minutes ago
Rufalo focused on two bones with "spool-like" ends and "depressions" leading him to believe one was a humerus (arm) bone, and he thought they more resembled a deer humerus, but he could not be certain because of the poor quality photos. #LauraBabcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member