Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.12.17 - Final Charge - *Verdict Watch*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the jury has worked straight through dinner the last two nights and possibly tonight, IMO means they are close to a decision. If they were far from unanimous I can't seem them working through the dinner break.

Does anyone have a link to the article that quotes the text from ss to dm about getting personalized plates for the trailer that said something along the line of "byebye"....

Considering the jury has worked straight through dinner the last two nights and possibly tonight, IMO means they are close to a decision. If they were far from unanimous I can't seem them working through the dinner break.

DeaconBrodie, What are your thoughts on this?

Something came up on my twitter feed that I thought if some of you shared your thoughts -Canada would benefit!

The Government of Canada (www.tcjs-tsjp.ca) is undertaking a broad review of Canada's Criminal Justice System!
To make sure it is fair and promotes a safe,just,compassionate, etc etc Canadian Society and looking for input in this consultation they say will help the department understand what we all want to expect from the criminal justice system.
I saw this on Facebook also!

If it's not too daunting, I might actually do it. Just because I'm a special kind of nerd. I want to read between the lines and figure out what elements they are actually trying to reform, and if we can give input, then well, that's pretty cool.

DeaconBrodie, What are your thoughts on this?

I don't have a great personal record of predicting what might be going on inside a jury room based on jurors actions and expressions etc. but it makes sense to me.

One thing that I have noticed that is often true is if a jury is close on a Friday then they'll get it done on Friday so that the can go home and rest over the week-end before heading back to work on Monday because trials are extremely grueling on them particularly this one. I stand by the consensus on here that the verdicts will likely be in tomorrow afternoon.

Does anyone have a link to the article that quotes the text from ss to dm about getting personalized plates for the trailer that said something along the line of "byebye"....
Bye Bye could apply to DM soon I hope, he will be gone , gone , gone for a long time.

I thought that the Jury opted to skip weekends when Justice Code earlier gave them the option?

Last week (Friday, I believe) Justice Code gave them the option of sitting through the last of his charge on Saturday and starting deliberations last weekend but they opted to have the weekend off and resume the charge this past Monday.

If they need this weekend, my guess is that they'd opt to work on deliberating.

It did make both them and I emotional when we first met. Apparently CB is not a hug person (his wife and sister attested to this) but he gave me a big bear hug. We spent over an hour talking and laughing and although I'm not going to put our conversations on here for their own privacy, they are just so down to earth and sweet.

Thanks Mozzagirl, hearing first hand about Laura's parents helps us all better appreciate the gravity of the crime, and their enormity of their personal loss of a loved daughter.

I am not sure if I am allowed to say this on here or not but I know one of the bailiffs at the University Avenue courthouse who said that he finds DM peculiar and unnerving (not breaking eye contact). He has come across a lot of alleged criminals and DM gives him the creeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet he does give people the creeps. He was very arrogant and got away with so much , DM to me is a very , very disturbed person and he was able to cover up a lot.

Apparently during the trial DM complained to the judge that he needs time outside for vitamin D and the lack of vitamin D has effected him and his thought processes, or something like that. Code responded with saying there are pills for vitamin D that he can buy at commissary.

Justice Code must be so ready to be done with this circus.
That is such a hilarious story, I needed agood laugh ,the poor judge he must be going crazy to have to deal with DM.

Normally, once the jury begins their deliberations they are either locked in the jury room or their hotel rooms until they complete their deliberations.

Nobody gets to go home for week-ends.

I've also heard that often if the jury is pretty much decided in the evening, they will agree to all sleep on it and make sure they all still agree in the morning.

I'm not sure what the statistics are on evening verdicts coming in, but this made sense to me...

edit: unless it's a Friday :p

I've also heard that often if the jury is pretty much decided in the evening, they will agree to all sleep on it and make sure they all still agree in the morning.

I'm not sure what the statistics are on evening verdicts coming in, but this made sense to me...

edit: unless it's a Friday :p

That makes a lot of sense. It gets me wondering though, if they reach a decision at 8:00 in the evening, will it be read that late? All parties still there at that time? Does the Judge have to stay that late every day? My goodness, those are some hours! I’m already feeling that whatever Judges’ are paid, it can’t be enough!!

That makes a lot of sense. It gets me wondering though, if they reach a decision at 8:00 in the evening, will it be read that late? All parties still there at that time? Does the Judge have to stay that late every day? My goodness, those are some hours! I’m already feeling that whatever Judges’ are paid, it can’t be enough!!

About $250K+ per year. They continue to receive close to that amount post ‘forced’ retirement at 75. A lot continue to lecture at Universities etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a thought today that CN does not appreciate how lucky she is. If DM was not caught, he'd probably give he an express divorce few months or years down the road.

She should be the one filling in all the details.

Normally all the players are within 20 minutes of the Courthouse whenever the jury is deliberating.

Hmmmm. What's the difference between segregation and protective custody again?

I can't speak to all the details, but segregation in provincial jails isn't as isolated as protective custody. When I was a volunteer for an agency working with young offenders (mostly), I had a tour of a large provincial jail (not in Metro Toronto). At one point I was ushered into a room where a group of inmates were doing different things - using a computer, reading, talking in small groups, etc. I was informed these were inmates in the segregation unit. I was not told why these particular men were in segregation, but it was clear from observation that quite a few had either cognitive disabilities, physical disabilities, or both. I would infer that some may have had mental health issues as well. Most were quite personable and happy to explain about what they were doing before we moved on. There was a social worker or some such person (not uniformed) in there facilitating things.

I would imagine many of these individuals might have had great difficulty coping with the general population and would probably be seen as easy marks or targets for abuse, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500