Lion Air Flight JT610 plane crashes in Indonesia, 29 Oct 2018 *lawyer Tom Girardi charged in 2023 with defrauding victims*

Very good CNN article. Well written and researched... unlike the first-to-the-publish freelance type articles from other "news" organizations.

This crash is very peculiar. Why would the pilots, being so far off course, wrong altitude and direction, not either turn to come back as requested... OR call in an emergency? Way too many minutes passed by where they could have called in if they were physically able.

Did they get overcome quickly with a flash fire? Could they not talk over the roar of the windshield being broken? The autopilot tried to fly the plane but could not? Did they try to manually fly the plane and autopilot overcorrected?

This one is hard to understand. Thank goodness for the black boxes (flight data & cockpit voice recorders)...this will give investigators the most likely root cause of this terrible tragedy.

My guess is that there was a struggle in the cockpit, but it was man verse machine. The aircraft was new and has an extremely sophisticated auto pilot. The planes can almost fly themselves. Normally, this is a good thing as it reduces pilot error.

But, poorly trained pilots are sometimes not fully informed about the auto pilot. As others mentioned, the airline has a history of safety issues which could include less than fully trained pilots. This possibility is increased by the fact that auto pilots are not always completely on or completely off. Rather, auto pilots can be partially on or partially off.

Then factor in the possibility of a partially on auto pilot leading to the pilots fighting each other while also fighting the auto pilot. In these cases, the pilots have only minutes to avoid a disaster by communicating effectively with each other, coordinating their efforts, then figuring out what is going on with the auto pilot.

Airlines train for these scenarios using simulators. But.... simulators are expensive to own or rent. Thus, some airlines are tempted to reduce simulator time.

There is a TV show that shows airline disasters; very eye opening.

Very sad this plane crashed. I'm wondering what we can apply about debris to the Malaysian flight that hasn't been found yet. Why has no one found the amount of debris that this flight had? That flight supposedly dropped out of the sky too.

There is a TV show that shows airline disasters; very eye opening.

Very sad this plane crashed. I'm wondering what we can apply about debris to the Malaysian flight that hasn't been found yet. Why has no one found the amount of debris that this flight had? That flight supposedly dropped out of the sky too.

Personally, I feel that they must have been looking in the wrong place. Though I guess it also depends on how MH370 broke up when it crashed.

Doomed jet that crashed off of Indonesia 'was like a roller-coaster' on previous flight and went up and down so many times due to engine 'losing power' passengers were panicking and VOMITING

Lion Air crash: Doomed jet suffered engine trouble the day before | Daily Mail Online

If it was like this the day before why on earth was it flying again the next day?

Wow. Catching up.

JMO
Interesting about the previous problems which I am guessing is going to be the cause of this accident too.

I agree with others that I dont think it was ever really fixed.

This article seems to describe engine problems rather than instrument problems.

It sounds like the engine would die and then the pilots managed to restart or get them going good again and plane would climb drastically and then engine would putter out again. Over and over again like a roller coaster. If people were throwing up then it was really bad. Lots of severe ups and downs.

If the pilots tried to climb really fast after getting the engine back then they could also stall the plane which could cause it to dive again.

The interesting thing to me is it does point to engine issues because the take off was delayed due to an unusual roar from the engine. If that sound was that noticeable then it does sound like engine issues.

And that sounds like an issue that could not be fixed really quick without lots of testing to be sure plane was safe again. They should have never put plane back into service after that first issue the day before IMO. They should have done test flights without passengers for a couple days at least.

"Travellers flying from Bali to Jakarta on Sunday on board the same jet which later crashed told how take-off was delayed due to an 'unusual roar' from an engines.

When the plane finally took off it seemed to be losing power and dropped suddenly a few times, passengers said, making it feel like a 'roller coaster'."

Lion Air crash: Indonesia orders ALL Boeing 737-MAX airliners to be inspected | Daily Mail Online

JMO
If any pilots here or people experienced in flying I do have a question I have been wondering about.

I watch a lot of those shows that document airline disasters and I am always amazed why a plane in trouble cannot glide in and do a bellow flop in the water rather than going in nose first and violently crashing.

I have heard so many times that planes should be able to glide even with no engine power but I am starting not to believe that because of how many times we hear of planes going nose first into the ocean or ground.

In this accident it says this below quoted in the aritcle. So why couldnt the pilot glide it in and belly flop it instead? Im beginning to think its not true that planes can glide without power. I am starting to think that depending on the type of issues that all controls can be lost too. So many accidents seem like they go nose first and are totally out of control.

"Two witnesses described the plane as swaying or rocking as it came down, adding that the nose hit the water first and there was a tall column of smoke afterwards"

Lion Air crash: Indonesia orders ALL Boeing 737-MAX airliners to be inspected | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Interesting question @Hatfield . I just read this on Wiki

Water landing - Wikipedia

Thanks. There is lots of really good information there.

We know "ditching" and belly flopping can be done sometimes because there were good examples of that in that article and also the famous Hudson ditching in NYC.

I remember when Sully successfully glided in and belly flopped in the Hudson river in NYC.

I suppose it just depends on if controls are lost in the cockpit. Maybe sometimes all controls are lost and that could be why so many planes go down nose first.

Thanks. There is lots of really good information there.

We know "ditching" and belly flopping can be done sometimes because there were good examples of that in that article and also the famous Hudson ditching in NYC.

I remember when Sully successfully glided in and belly flopped in the Hudson river in NYC.

I suppose it just depends on if controls are lost in the cockpit. Maybe sometimes all controls are lost and that could be why so many planes go down nose first.

The Hudson landing was amazing but I think he was flying lower and slower as he'd just taken off, would that make a difference perhaps? Mind you, this one hadn't been in the air too long either. Going back to MH370 I've often wondered if that somehow landed on it's belly and slowly sunk, hence lack of debris.

The Hudson landing was amazing but I think he was flying lower and slower as he'd just taken off, would that make a difference perhaps? Mind you, this one hadn't been in the air too long either. Going back to MH370 I've often wondered if that somehow landed on it's belly and slowly sunk, hence lack of debris.

Good theory on MH370 which could explain lack of debri. That missing plane is one of the most interesting cases in a long time. Wish they would find the fuselage. I recall a couple pieces did wash up in Austrailia or was it Africa I believe and somewhere east of Africa too but not many pieces were ever recovered. The main fuselage has not yet been found.

I always suspected the pilot purposely did something because of how quickly it went in wrong direction and rumors about his marital issues.

Your theory about belly flopping could be right because it seemed he went so far it could have run out of fuel and pilot or autopilot may have coasted it down to the water. A few pieces may have broke off as it sunk which could explain the few pieces that got washed ashore. Main part may have sunk mostly intact.

ETA. Link below shows the location of the few pieces that eventually were washed up in different places.

MH370: Here's what's been found from jetliner 3 years after it disappeared - CNN

Last edited:
Thanks Hatfield! Since I’m a frequent flier!

I hear ya. I would make sure to avoid that particular plane at least till the cause of this recent accident is determined to be resolved.

btw It can be difficult to get information from an airline about the type of plane they are going to use on a flight. I once figured out that a propeller plane was going to be used on a flight I had booked. I quickly changed my schedule to a later flight with a jet engine aircraft. I dont like propeller planes or puddle jumper planes because I had a bad experience one time in bad weather on one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back