London Ontario - Tori Stafford murder trial begins jury selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this article, there is some new information:

The 21-year-old, who admitted to being high on Oxycontin, told the court she took the girl to the rural area, but not before making two stops: one at a Home Depot for a hammer and garbage bags and the other, at a Tim Hortons for tea.

We didn't know about the stop at the Tim Hortons. There is a TH right beside the Home Depot at the Petro Canada gas station.

http://www.canada.com/life/Jury+selection+begins+Tori+Stafford+murder+trial/6214807/story.html

Great find Matou! As far as I know, Timmies has surveillance cameras. Let's hope LE has a video. And if this was the Timmies, the gas station surely will have surveillance.

Does anyone know if cameras will be allowed in the courtroom as long as the footage isn't shown to the public until the ban is lifted?

Trials in Canada are never recorded live like they are in the US. Generally, if you are not at the actual trial, you have to wait until the evening paper and/or early morning edition, to catch up on what transpired that day in court. Tweeting, etc. is also very rare and the courts in Canada frown on it, as a witnesses outside waiting to be called, can actually read what is going on prior to entering the courtroom and can affect the outcome of the trial.

does anyone know what was done in the first trial in terms of coverage?

There was no coverage, and it was just a plea and a sentence, and it was all done under publication ban and was partially lifted in December.

Great find Matou! As far as I know, Timmies has surveillance cameras. Let's hope LE has a video. And if this was the Timmies, the gas station surely will have surveillance.

I'm fairly confident that there are cameras at TH. Did they go through the drive-thru or go inside? Tori was ALIVE at this time since it was revealed that Tori died at the remote area in Mount Forest. Poor Tori....omg.

I'm fairly confident that there are cameras at TH. Did they go through the drive-thru or go inside? Tori was ALIVE at this time since it was revealed that Tori died at the remote area in Mount Forest. Poor Tori....omg.

If they stopped at that particular Timmies, at the gas station, you have to go inside. There is no drive thru I don't believe. Most Timmies at gas stations are set up that way. I imagine there would be plenty of cameras set up, different angles, inside and outside. That poor baby. I won't be surprised if TM doesn't go for most of the trial as I bet there is going to be some pretty gruesome details to come out. Matou do you have a google map link for that location you speak of?

"If" MR and TLM were caught on surveillance at Timmies, I believe his fate is sealed. JMHO. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the jurors rule tho.

In this article, there is some new information:

The 21-year-old, who admitted to being high on Oxycontin, told the court she took the girl to the rural area, but not before making two stops: one at a Home Depot for a hammer and garbage bags and the other, at a Tim Hortons for tea.

We didn't know about the stop at the Tim Hortons. There is a TH right beside the Home Depot at the Petro Canada gas station.

http://www.canada.com/life/Jury+selection+begins+Tori+Stafford+murder+trial/6214807/story.html

How can anyone go for tea in the middle of abduction and murder? Unbelievable.

Here's a streetview shot of the Tim Hortons at the Petro Canada gas station located at 59 Woodlawn Road West, Guelph. Right beside (just east of) the Home Depot parking lot.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=tim+ho...=kAXDLCgpPmgvX9M5scAetw&cbp=12,318.97,,0,5.41

Thank you for the link Matou. It looks like it's quite possible this Timmies has a drive thru. There is a vehicle right to the left of the Timmies sign, maybe that's the drive thru. Yes there's a HD also on the left. Thanks again for that link. :seeya: Right across the street from this HD and TH is a large cemetery...creepy.

Now there are SEVEN jurors chosen.

LONDON, Ont. - Seven people were chosen Wednesday to serve on a jury in the trial of a man accused in the death of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Michael Rafferty pleads not guilty to killing Tori Stafford; seven jurors chosen

Five women and two men have been selected so far as lawyers seek to choose a jury of 12 people and two alternates.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Michael Rafferty pleads not guilty to killing Tori Stafford; seven jurors chosen

7 people already, halfway there. The move to London was a good choice, there seems to be people there who are willing to hear the evidence first before forming an opinion.

Michael Rafferty pleads not guilty to killing Tori Stafford; seven jurors chosen.

LONDON, Ont. - Seven people were chosen Wednesday to serve on a jury in the trial of a man accused in the death of eight-year-old Victoria Stafford.
Michael Rafferty, 31, was formally arraigned Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, sexual assault causing bodily harm and kidnapping.
Dressed in a three-piece suit, Rafferty stood looking out at the jury pool and said he was ready for his trial.

http://www.newstalk1010.com/NationalCP/Article.aspx?id=324140

**He looks old!! And has gained a lot of weight!

The accused, Michael Rafferty, sat quietly throughout the proceedings in the prisoner’s box, dressed in a grey suit and a purple tie as jurors were brought into the courtroom to be questioned by the judge. Mr. Rafferty, 31, is charged with sexual assault causing bodily harm, kidnapping and first-degree murder in death of the Grade 3 student nearly three years ago.Outside the courthouse, Mr. Rafferty’s lawyer, Dirk Derstine says the upcoming evidence in the case may be a surprise to the public. “I expect that the evidence to be called will be different than what everybody is perhaps expecting,” he told reporters.

Personally and JMHO I view the purple tie as very distasteful being purple was Tori's favourite colour and it was very well publicized from day one. I'm sure at least his defense team was well aware of that fact. I remember reading in the CA case it was the women on her team who selected her clothing for her trial. Wonder who's idea the purple tie was. :waitasec:

My second bolded part. I believe many people will be surprised by the evidence as we do not know what the Crown has as evidence. We can only guess by what we've heard up until now. I would say Mr. Derstine chose those two words wisely; may and perhaps JMO.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/27/jury-selection-begins-in-tori-stafford-murder-trial/

I know this is probably a bit out there, but is it possible that the two stopped at the tea shop not just to get tea, but to do something criminal too? Maybe they knew someone there or something.

Stopping for tea just seems so out there, and I agree it makes this crime all the more hideous. Just wondering though, who's ever heard of criminals stopping at a coffee or tea shop in the middle of a kidnapping? Shivers.....

Did Rafferty or TLM like tea? It's pretty specific. I associate Tim Hortons with coffee, not tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member