MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

I don't ask this in an argumentative fashion, but do we KNOW that she even went for a walk and if she did that it was short? I think her son reported that around 3:30 she said she might take a walk.
And do we know if she had a car? Could she have ordered out for a last minute delivery of salsa, appetizers or condiments? She is reported to be a detailed oriented hostess.
I have reviewed the information put out by LE and there was video of someone out walking in the area in the timeframe Abbie may have been out, but it was grainy and they can’t say for sure that it was her. As a matter of fact, LE said that the images don’t line up with Abbie’s stature.

There was a woman a couple of years ago who went missing outdoors/on a walk. It took months to find her and she was very close to home...a matter of a few hundred yards, I believe. She had suffered a heart attack or stroke.

I don't ask this in an argumentative fashion, but do we KNOW that she even went for a walk and if she did that it was short? I think her son reported that around 3:30 she said she might take a walk.
And do we know if she had a car? Could she have ordered out for a last minute delivery of salsa, appetizers or condiments? She is reported to be a detailed oriented hostess.
Is her car at home? They did not report her car found anywhere! If she ordered something to be delivered, who knows who showed up. It could have been someone who took her, maybe even had a gun! That's more plausible than drowning or a medical mishap. I guess that means calling around to see if she ordered anything.

I've read in one or two places that there was speculation about coyotes being involved. Does anybody local know if coyotes there are aggressive? I live a few towns away and the coyotes seem to be a danger to only cats and small dogs but I'm wondering if one could have threatened her, leading her to seek safety at the water's edge where she could have slipped. None of these scenarios seem individually probable but one of them must have occurred.

I've read in one or two places that there was speculation about coyotes being involved. Does anybody local know if coyotes there are aggressive? I live a few towns away and the coyotes seem to be a danger to only cats and small dogs but I'm wondering if one could have threatened her, leading her to seek safety at the water's edge where she could have slipped. None of these scenarios seem individually probable but one of them must have occurred.
There are coyotes and fisher cats, however, I've not heard of any incidents where they have attacked people in this area.

I've been thinking about this, her scent ended at the end of her driveway. That means someone was parked there and took her away. Doesn't that make sense??
Please listen to the Chief's interview at this link:
'
GloucesterCast 383 Chief Ed Conley Search Update For Missing Gloucester Resident Abbie Flynn 2/6/20

19:00 Joey Ciaramitaro: Did the canines pick up any scents...was there any feedback from the canine units at all?

19:00 Chief Ed Conley: No, uh, we had two incidents during the search on Monday where we found blood. Blood splatter, blood splattered on a trail, blood splatter on a tree ... those two things the canines did hit on but it was totally confirmed animal blood.

'
GloucesterCast 383 Chief Ed Conley Search Update For Missing Gloucester Resident Abbie Flynn 2/6/20

19:00 Joey Ciaramitaro: Did the canines pick up any scents...was there any feedback from the canine units at all?

19:00 Chief Ed Conley: No, uh, we had two incidents during the search on Monday where we found blood. Blood splatter, blood splattered on a trail, blood splatter on a tree ... those two things the canines did hit on but it was totally confirmed animal blood.

Thanks for the transcription.

Dogs did not pick up Abbie's scent. Inconclusive, but this suggests she did not go on a walk, since the dogs were brought in less than 24 hours after she disappeared.

I would assume that cadaver dogs were brought in as well, since this minimizes the time and risk for searchers. No evidence that her body is there.

So I'm not sure she went on a walk, but if she did-

The land area that can be searched is pretty limited, since there is ocean on three sides of the point. There is also Niles Pond, which has a walking trail that I assume Abbie has been on before.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, the light house that Abbie mentioned visiting at the point has a long breakwater jutting into the bay. I have fished off this, and while the top rocks are flatter than most and generally OK for walking on, it is a pretty tall breakwater, maybe a sharp 10-15 feet to the water on the bay side. The lighthouse is a little over mile from her house, and a "logical" destination for a walk, IMO.

In the unlikely chance that she ended up in the ocean, this seems like a very logical place for an accident.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.48.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.48.11 PM.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.56.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 4.56.02 PM.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 49
'

OK. I was repeating what someone said on here, that her scent ended at the end of the driveway. Now that, that is not true, I have no clue what happened to her. :(

Thanks for the transcription.

Dogs did not pick up Abbie's scent. Inconclusive, but this suggests she did not go on a walk, since the dogs were brought in less than 24 hours after she disappeared.

I would assume that cadaver dogs were brought in as well, since this minimizes the time and risk for searchers. No evidence that her body is there.

So I'm not sure she went on a walk, but if she did-

The land area that can be searched is pretty limited, since there is ocean on three sides of the point. There is also Niles Pond, which has a walking trail that I assume Abbie has been on before.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, the light house that Abbie mentioned visiting at the point has a long breakwater jutting into the bay. I have fished off this, and while the top rocks are flatter than most and generally OK for walking on, it is a pretty tall breakwater, maybe a sharp 10-15 feet to the water on the bay side. The lighthouse is a little over mile from her house, and a "logical" destination for a walk, IMO.

In the unlikely chance that she ended up in the ocean, this seems like a very logical place for an accident.
How far is that from her house? MOO

About 1.2 miles. For a regular walker of her age, that would be less than hour roundtrip IMO. The walk around Niles Pond, and walk to the lighthouse seem the two most likely places to go.
Thank you. What do you think the chances are of her being found if she went into the water around the lighthouse? And, Niles Pond? (I don't know this area at all.) MOO

Thank you. What do you think the chances are of her being found if she went into the water around the lighthouse? And, Niles Pond? (I don't know this area at all.) MOO

I think if she is in Niles Pond, her body will be found when it surfaces. The pond looks weedy and overgrown in summer from the images, but in late winter a drone should be able to scope the pond.

The breakwater narrows Gloucester Harbor so I suspect the tidal current are pretty harsh. Gloucester is on Cape May, which is actually an island. Attached is an image of Gloucester Harbor, with the breakwater in the lower left. You can see the currents "flowing" south on the outer ocean side shore; I don't know if this is tidal (changing) or related to general ocean currents. Not sure if she would be found from the ocean, but Tracy Coen went into the water near here and her remains were found on a beach 60 miles away.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.00.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.00.17 PM.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 38
Did the water search include the area around the breakwater? I assume it did- I just can’t keep track of the various waters nearby.
I think if she is in Niles Pond, her body will be found when it surfaces. The pond looks weedy and overgrown in summer from the images, but in late winter a drone should be able to scope the pond.

The breakwater narrows Gloucester Harbor so I suspect the tidal current are pretty harsh. Gloucester is on Cape May, which is actually an island. Attached is an image of Gloucester Harbor, with the breakwater in the lower left. You can see the currents "flowing" south on the outer ocean side shore; I don't know if this is tidal (changing) or related to general ocean currents. Not sure if she would be found from the ocean, but Tracy Coen went into the water near here and her remains were found on a beach 60 miles away.

From what the articles upthread stated , sonar water searches occurred at Brace Cove and Niles Beach. I’ve not read anything about searches on the breakwater.

Easy to be knocked unconscious on those rocks. If she fell in there, I agree ocean currents and undertow could sweep her car away. JMO

I wonder if LE has been able to determine who it was on the grainy image they have of someone out walking in the timeframe Abbie may have been; just to 100% rule out that it was Abbie.

If I were expecting guests with pizza dough rising, (meaning she still had to make pizza and would want to do that ahead of the guests arriving, I imagine), the only walk I would take would be a very quick local one, maybe around the block.

Taking one out to the ocean that would take about an hour just doesn’t sound logical, IMOO.

This is baffling.

I wonder if LE has been able to determine who it was on the grainy image they have of someone out walking in the timeframe Abbie may have been; just to 100% rule out that it was Abbie.

If I were expecting guests with pizza dough rising, (meaning she still had to make pizza and would want to do that ahead of the guests arriving, I imagine), the only walk I would take would be a very quick local one, maybe around the block.

Taking one out to the ocean that would take about an hour just doesn’t sound logical, IMOO.

This is baffling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back