MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

Recently moved back to our beloved Massachusetts, and find this to be so sad, as well as scary. My heart goes out to Abby’s family. She looks to be a beautiful person. My only takeaway from this is that Abby was staying alone in this home. Despite having close friends, we understand she was retired, and I’m sure relished her time here, husband in Texas, children at school or in New York. My only question would be, how often was she alone, and who knew she was “alone”? And again, if she took her walk, again, she was alone.

Whatever has happened, a health issue or hopefully nothing worse, it seems that however a safe area we live in, it’s so sad but we need to be so careful as women.

Recently moved back to our beloved Massachusetts, and find this to be so sad, as well as scary. My heart goes out to Abby’s family. She looks to be a beautiful person. My only takeaway from this is that Abby was staying alone in this home. Despite having close friends, we understand she was retired, and I’m sure relished her time here, husband in Texas, children at school or in New York. My only question would be, how often was she alone, and who knew she was “alone”? And again, if she took her walk, again, she was alone.

Whatever has happened, a health issue or hopefully nothing worse, it seems that however a safe area we live in, it’s so sad but we need to be so careful as women.
welcome back to MA and to the board. It’s a sad fact, but yes she could be targeted as a woman living alone, particularly in a wealthy area.

From what the articles upthread stated , sonar water searches occurred at Brace Cove and Niles Beach. I’ve not read anything about searches on the breakwater.

Easy to be knocked unconscious on those rocks. If she fell in there, I agree ocean currents and undertow could sweep her car away. JMO
Quoting myself because it's confusing that my post says "car" when I meant far.

Also this link says the breakwater area was searched. Does that mean underwater though?

Friends hang flyers as police search cove, breakwater for Abbie Flynn

The breakwater narrows Gloucester Harbor so I suspect the tidal current are pretty harsh. Gloucester is on Cape May, which is actually an island. Attached is an image of Gloucester Harbor, with the breakwater in the lower left. You can see the currents "flowing" south on the outer ocean side shore; I don't know if this is tidal (changing) or related to general ocean currents. Not sure if she would be found from the ocean, but Tracy Coen went into the water near here and her remains were found on a beach 60 miles away.

I can't stand all the nitpicking that happens on these threads so please take this question in the way it was intended (which is not to catch you out in an inaccuracy), but DO we know that Theresa Coen went into the water near here? We know that police believe she left on foot, or they thought so at the time. But when they announced she'd been found on a Chatham beach (they don't say which one, I'm wondering if it was Lighthouse Beach since it's the only ocean side beach in Chatham) it gave me a horrible feeling thinking that her remains traveled that far through the ocean and then (to me, improbably) washed up on the Cape. That made me wonder if at some point in their investigation LE may have learned she went on to Cape Cod, perhaps by ride share or something. They certainly were convinced from just a few days in that she ended her own life.

My question, though, is relevant to Abbie Flynn because I'm wondering how far someone could really end up if they entered the water near Brace Cove, for example.

Quoting myself because it's confusing that my post says "car" when I meant far.

Also this link says the breakwater area was searched. Does that mean underwater though?

Friends hang flyers as police search cove, breakwater for Abbie Flynn

"The sonar can see the bottom of the seabed for about thirty to forty feet. The boat will crisscross Brace Cove until the floor of the cove has been thoroughly scanned. Sometimes rocks or other anomalies get in the way and they return to an area."

They refer to the breakwater before this, but I think they scanned the water around the breakwater too, since there is nothing to search on the breakwater beyond a quick walk.

But having just typed this; these NE breakwaters are made of large granite blocks with some gaps large to trap someone if they fell. So no doubt they checked it out thoroughly.

I can't stand all the nitpicking that happens on these threads so please take this question in the way it was intended (which is not to catch you out in an inaccuracy), but DO we know that Theresa Coen went into the water near here? We know that police believe she left on foot, or they thought so at the time. But when they announced she'd been found on a Chatham beach (they don't say which one, I'm wondering if it was Lighthouse Beach since it's the only ocean side beach in Chatham) it gave me a horrible feeling thinking that her remains traveled that far through the ocean and then (to me, improbably) washed up on the Cape. That made me wonder if at some point in their investigation LE may have learned she went on to Cape Cod, perhaps by ride share or something. They certainly were convinced from just a few days in that she ended her own life.

My question, though, is relevant to Abbie Flynn because I'm wondering how far someone could really end up if they entered the water near Brace Cove, for example.

KITTY HAWK, N.C. — The body of a 4-year-old boy who was swept away by a wave last week on the Outer Banks here was recovered Monday, Kitty Hawk police said.

Currituck County sheriff's deputies found Wesley Belisle's body about 7:40 a.m. ET on Carova Beach, about 34 miles from where he was last seen at Kitty Hawk.

Body of 4-year-old, swept away while walking on beach with mom, found

I don't think anyone knows what happened to Theresa and LE based their findings on the best available information, probably in no small part due her state of mind (which we don't know).

Here is a link showing a body moved 34 miles in 5 days. In this case the body went north during summer.

So I don't know anything beyond this, or how far a body can travel at sea. But I would think a body would have to move somewhat fast before being consumed by sea critters.

Nice, that is helpful.

As I mentioned earlier, the rocks are pretty flat and actually atypically well placed for a NE breakwater. Still you can see some gaps on the oceanside, that could conceal someone if they fell, but they must have checked it out it thoroughly.

Nice, that is helpful.

As I mentioned earlier, the rocks are pretty flat and actually atypically well placed for a NE breakwater. Still you can see some gaps on the oceanside, that could conceal someone if they fell, but they must have checked it out it thoroughly.
Personally I can't think of any other location she could have walked and disappeared so completely. If indeed she walked and disappeared. JMO

Personally I can't think of any other location she could have walked and disappeared so completely. If indeed she walked and disappeared. JMO

I agree. It was high tide, so if she fell into the water on the bayside, it would be hard to get out of the water with the steep rock wall.

If indeed she walked and disappeared.

Hello all, been following this thread and don’t believe I saw this posted yet. The article speaks to some theories discussed about links to other missing persons from the are. LE states there is no connection
'Zero connection to any other missing person'
It has been posted...but thanks for reposting. Never hurts. We all skip over reading all posts on a thread from time to time. I should say, I do.

I just can't wrap my head around this. I love walking by the beach and am about the same age as Abbie. Can't imagine going out on the breakwater or rocks on a Feb afternoon as it's getting dark, too afraid of slipping. Unless. And a cold ocean would not be a fun way to go.

Perhaps she stumbled into an old well or hole somewhere? Was there snow on the ground that day? I'm reaching, I know.

During the JC and CC podcast on 2/6 (at about the 22.09 point) JC mentions Evelyn Howe (not Theresa Coen or Susan Nilsson who have been referred to numerous times here, and have no connection with this present case per LE). According to reports, in May of 2013 Evelyn Howe along with David Machado drowned somewhere in the same area where Abbie may have taken a walk. Evelyn apparently had a favorite place where she liked to hike around the Eastern Point Retreat House. Evelyn, David and his wife Kristen, had gone for a walk on a path near the water and it seems David slipped on the rocks as the tide was sweeping in and pounding the shore. He was swept away. David struggled to get out of the water to no avail, and Evelyn dove in after him. She was also swept into the water. Kristin tried to extend her leg so David could reach it, but the rocks were too slippery and a massive wave quickly rolled in and David disappeared from sight. According to reports, shortly after 5:00 p.m. Kristen called police to Brace Cove. The Coast Guard and a Gloucester Police boat were launched within moments of the 911 call. At approximately 5:53 p.m. the two were found face down on the ocean floor not far from shore. Evelyn and David did not survive.

Also, in the podcast (at about the 22:44 point) JC says that it was mentioned by "K" that Abbie was known to regularly walk in the same or similar area where Evelyn and David drowned. I think there is a high probability, and entirely possible, that Abbie may have taken the same path or a similar path and had an accident somewhere between Bemo Ledge and the ledges off the Eastern Point Retreat House. Anywhere along there would have been a short walk from her house, and would afford beautiful views and a sunset. If she left for a quick walk she would (I think) want to get back to her house before dark and before her guests arrived at 6:00 p.m. Perhaps she stayed too long looking at the sunset and rushed to get back in the dark, or maybe she never got to see the sunset. Sunset was a few minutes before 5:00 p.m. with total darkness by 5:30 p.m. on that day, high tide was at 5:23 p.m., seas were 3-5 feet, winds probably 15-20 kts., water temperature 39 degrees. I have been to the rocky ledges off the Retreat House in summer when the ocean was calm. The rocky ledges down to the sea are impressive and formidable. Unfortunately, I think this scenario is the most likely, and is why there have been no further clues in her disappearance, and why she hasn't been found.

If Abbie did slip into the water sometime between 3:30-6:00 p.m., and LE was notified by her friends that she was missing at 7:00 p.m., then a number of hours would have passed before the search got underway, which according to CC was a couple of hours after they were notified at 7:00 p.m. There was a very thorough land search. Helicopters and aircraft, with the very best in thermal imaging and heat signature detection devices were used , and flew patterns over the water. Boats were deployed, but it was very difficult to get close to shore because of the seas (3-5 feet) at the time. The search went on until 3:30 a.m. and was resumed at 6:00 a.m. the next morning. Nothing was found. In the podcast (at about the 22:55 point) CC says that if she did go into the water it could explain why after 24 hours of using the very best in heat detecting equipment they were unable to pick up any heat signals at all.

Early in the morning 2/4, there was some activity with a GFD rescue boat searching Niles Pond. Nothing was found. The water search continued to be hindered by bad weather in the area practically the whole week after her disappearance. It was especially windy here for days and nights, and then some days were very foggy. Finally, it wasn't until 2/11 when the weather broke enough so LE crews were able to resume the water search and do a sonar scan of Brace Cove. On 2/11 and 2/12 they searched Brace Cove, Niles Pond, the Dog Bar breakwater, and along the seashore. Nothing was found. Ten days later on 2/13 we heard dive searches turned up no evidence.

It seems everyone who disappears here on Cape Ann ends up in the water. It may take some time for a body to be discovered. It depends on many factors such as currents, winds, tides, etc., and a body may be found miles from where it entered. The Martha Brailsford incident, which I referenced in an earlier post, is an example. In 1991 her body entered the water 2-3 miles off Gloucester. She had an anchor around her legs, and a weighted diver's belt around her waist. She eventually was found approximately a week later by a lobsterman pulling up a trap off Children's Island (formerly Cat Island) at the mouth of Marblehead Harbor. She was caught on the lobster trap. It was a miracle she was found.

During the JC and CC podcast on 2/6 (at about the 22.09 point) JC mentions Evelyn Howe (not Theresa Coen or Susan Nilsson who have been referred to numerous times here, and have no connection with this present case per LE). According to reports, in May of 2013 Evelyn Howe along with David Machado drowned somewhere in the same area where Abbie may have taken a walk. Evelyn apparently had a favorite place where she liked to hike around the Eastern Point Retreat House. Evelyn, David and his wife Kristen, had gone for a walk on a path near the water and it seems David slipped on the rocks as the tide was sweeping in and pounding the shore. He was swept away. David struggled to get out of the water to no avail, and Evelyn dove in after him. She was also swept into the water. Kristin tried to extend her leg so David could reach it, but the rocks were too slippery and a massive wave quickly rolled in and David disappeared from sight. According to reports, shortly after 5:00 p.m. Kristen called police to Brace Cove. The Coast Guard and a Gloucester Police boat were launched within moments of the 911 call. At approximately 5:53 p.m. the two were found face down on the ocean floor not far from shore. Evelyn and David did not survive.

Also, in the podcast (at about the 22:44 point) JC says that it was mentioned by "K" that Abbie was known to regularly walk in the same or similar area where Evelyn and David drowned. I think there is a high probability, and entirely possible, that Abbie may have taken the same path or a similar path and had an accident somewhere between Bemo Ledge and the ledges off the Eastern Point Retreat House. Anywhere along there would have been a short walk from her house, and would afford beautiful views and a sunset. If she left for a quick walk she would (I think) want to get back to her house before dark and before her guests arrived at 6:00 p.m. Perhaps she stayed too long looking at the sunset and rushed to get back in the dark, or maybe she never got to see the sunset. Sunset was a few minutes before 5:00 p.m. with total darkness by 5:30 p.m. on that day, high tide was at 5:23 p.m., seas were 3-5 feet, winds probably 15-20 kts., water temperature 39 degrees. I have been to the rocky ledges off the Retreat House in summer when the ocean was calm. The rocky ledges down to the sea are impressive and formidable. Unfortunately, I think this scenario is the most likely, and is why there have been no further clues in her disappearance, and why she hasn't been found.

If Abbie did slip into the water sometime between 3:30-6:00 p.m., and LE was notified by her friends that she was missing at 7:00 p.m., then a number of hours would have passed before the search got underway, which according to CC was a couple of hours after they were notified at 7:00 p.m. There was a very thorough land search. Helicopters and aircraft, with the very best in thermal imaging and heat signature detection devices were used , and flew patterns over the water. Boats were deployed, but it was very difficult to get close to shore because of the seas (3-5 feet) at the time. The search went on until 3:30 a.m. and was resumed at 6:00 a.m. the next morning. Nothing was found. In the podcast (at about the 22:55 point) CC says that if she did go into the water it could explain why after 24 hours of using the very best in heat detecting equipment they were unable to pick up any heat signals at all.

Early in the morning 2/4, there was some activity with a GFD rescue boat searching Niles Pond. Nothing was found. The water search continued to be hindered by bad weather in the area practically the whole week after her disappearance. It was especially windy here for days and nights, and then some days were very foggy. Finally, it wasn't until 2/11 when the weather broke enough so LE crews were able to resume the water search and do a sonar scan of Brace Cove. On 2/11 and 2/12 they searched Brace Cove, Niles Pond, the Dog Bar breakwater, and along the seashore. Nothing was found. Ten days later on 2/13 we heard dive searches turned up no evidence.

It seems everyone who disappears here on Cape Ann ends up in the water. It may take some time for a body to be discovered. It depends on many factors such as currents, winds, tides, etc., and a body may be found miles from where it entered. The Martha Brailsford incident, which I referenced in an earlier post, is an example. In 1991 her body entered the water 2-3 miles off Gloucester. She had an anchor around her legs, and a weighted diver's belt around her waist. She eventually was found approximately a week later by a lobsterman pulling up a trap off Children's Island (formerly Cat Island) at the mouth of Marblehead Harbor. She was caught on the lobster trap. It was a miracle she was found.

Brilliant post.

This is so well written and summarized.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back