MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

Abby’s keys were in the house, along with her phone. She is my neighbor in Houston and our girls went to school together. Abby is a happy, kind, generous lady who would happily help someone who claimed to be lost or injured. I think she met someone on her walk and offered to give directions or help in some way. That’s the kind of person Abby is. She would NEVER leave her family. It breaks my heart that it’s been a year now with no updates. I haven’t been able to bring myself to tell my girls that she is missing. There is no closure, just a huge void that is Abbys quiet yet strong personality. I pray that if something bad happened it was quick and she didn’t suffer. She is a wonderful lady and she and her family didn’t deserve this heartbreak. God bless them all
I am very sorry that you've lost your friend. I continue to hope for closure for all of Abby's loved ones. It must be grueling not knowing what became of her. I have to believe that LE continues to follow all leads and agree, too, with others about the possible abduction case not long after Abby's disappearance at a nearby beach being related. If it's not in the news, it doesn't mean that LE isn't looking into it.

The more I think about this, the less I think she "Accidentally" fell into the water. It doesn't make sense. The staging of the house doesn't lend itself to an impromptu walk, and then someone who has lived in that town for a while wouldn't normally just "Accidentally" fall into the water, especially since I seem to recall she liked to take walks.

The more I think about this, the less I think she "Accidentally" fell into the water. It doesn't make sense. The staging of the house doesn't lend itself to an impromptu walk, and then someone who has lived in that town for a while wouldn't normally just "Accidentally" fall into the water, especially since I seem to recall she liked to take walks.
That's true and thus the term "freak accident". They're not normal. They're not expected. But they happen.

Abby’s keys were in the house, along with her phone. She is my neighbor in Houston and our girls went to school together. Abby is a happy, kind, generous lady who would happily help someone who claimed to be lost or injured. I think she met someone on her walk and offered to give directions or help in some way. That’s the kind of person Abby is. She would NEVER leave her family. It breaks my heart that it’s been a year now with no updates. I haven’t been able to bring myself to tell my girls that she is missing. There is no closure, just a huge void that is Abbys quiet yet strong personality. I pray that if something bad happened it was quick and she didn’t suffer. She is a wonderful lady and she and her family didn’t deserve this heartbreak. God bless them all

So sorry for the loss of your neighbor and friend. She seemed like a wonderful person and someone I would love to have as a friend/neighbor. My sense has always been that she was taken. So easy for someone to pull ahead of her while she is walking, stop the car and get out asking for directions - or stop at the end of her driveway with the hood propped up in your van and say radiator overheated etc . This area is incredibly safe but also so very quiet in the off season with lots of the homes vacant over the winter- the quiet and lack of people can leave you vulnerable to the unexpected.
It seems there was a rush to judgement by LE that she somehow ended up in the water. I give them credit for their very diligent searches of water and abutting land.
Having followed crime for a very long time, it seems to me that since she is a woman of a "certain age" there is not a lot of thought put into stranger danger by LE. I wish it were not so but some how the narrative of her slipping into the water took over.
I also wish there was something we could all do to help

What's meant by "the staging" of the house? Is it the fact that she had made preparations for a party? Only asking because "staging" means something very specific with respect to crime scenes and I had never heard the house referred to as such.

It seems like you're saying it doesn't make sense to take an impromptu walk with guests scheduled to come over soon. But how do you reconcile the fact that she apparently told a family member (over the phone) that she planned to take a walk? Do you think that was a misunderstanding or an incorrect assumption behind that person telling police that those were her plans?

What's meant by "the staging" of the house? Is it the fact that she had made preparations for a party? Only asking because "staging" means something very specific with respect to crime scenes and I had never heard the house referred to as such.

It seems like you're saying it doesn't make sense to take an impromptu walk with guests scheduled to come over soon. But how do you reconcile the fact that she apparently told a family member (over the phone) that she planned to take a walk? Do you think that was a misunderstanding or an incorrect assumption behind that person telling police that those were her plans?

I’m inclined to think she took a walk and fell. I understand that some think a walk before guests doesn’t make sense...it does to me. Even a casual get-together means light cleaning and preparation - and a walk can be a welcome break, IMO.

JMO

Continuing to hope for news on Abbie.

Does anyone know if her dog is missing as well? I had thought from earlier news accounts, that her dog was at home, along with her phone and keys.

I watched a Youtube report recently, which implied that it could not be confirmed that she left her dog at home.

Just wondering...

Continuing to hope for news on Abbie.

Does anyone know if her dog is missing as well? I had thought from earlier news accounts, that her dog was at home, along with her phone and keys.

I watched a Youtube report recently, which implied that it could not be confirmed that she left her dog at home.

Just wondering...

Gloucester Police Chief Conley had answered that the dog was found in the home and was fine. You can see a video of his interview back around page 5 of this thread..

Gloucester Police Chief Conley had answered that the dog was found in the home and was fine. You can see a video of his interview back around page 5 of this thread..
Thanks so much for the reminder. I had thought I heard or read that, but wondered after watching the Youtube report. If anyone is interested, it's a Crime Chat video. Just search Abbie Flynn and Crime Chat and you'll get it. I found it useful in that the reporter went to the area and walked one of the trails out to the area of water (I forget the actual name) that Abbie frequented and along the streets by her home; although it appears the reporter was there during the spring/summer.

Every time I log on here and see that little red alert notification, I silently hope it is someone on this thread posting about a break in this case.

I've spent the last few days combing through this thread and putting together an Evernote document with all the information thats been released. I have 25 separate sources, and yet...I feel every bit as lost as I did when I first started looking into her case.

I hope, for Abbie's sake, it was a sudden and painless medical event and her body simply hasn't been found. However, I am of the belief that the water took her.

Whatever happened, I hope it was quick and I hope her family has found some peace in the last year.

A question just for the sake of discussion, setting aside all assumptions like "suicidal people don't plan a party" because I think research clearly shows that not everyone's behavior who commits suicide shows a lack of short or long term planning.

Let's say that Abbie's family knew or suspected she was depressed or had suicidal ideation in the past. If they suspected that the most likely reason for her disappearance was suicide, how would you expect them to act differently than what they have done? They've asked for privacy. They haven't made public pleas for her return from a kidnapper. They haven't issued calls for the public to turn in tips of anything suspicious. In short, they haven't acted like her disappearance is unexplained. The media has portrayed it as unexplained, and the public has jumped to the conclusion that it is unexplained.

I guess my question is, what if the reason for her disappearance is explained, and they are just trying to recover her body at this point? What if they aren't asking for answers, because they don't need any?

Granted, we aren't used to seeing this in missing persons cases because very often the family doesn't know or is in denial that their loved one is suicidal, so it's just one option among many that could explain what happened to them. Therefore, the family's lack of urgency in this case is viewed as inexplicable to us. In reality, there could be a good explanation and one that is very private. It's making me think that seeing all the posts like "Is anyone still looking for Abbie?" "We need justice for Abby" etc could be quite painful for them.

A question just for the sake of discussion, setting aside all assumptions like "suicidal people don't plan a party" because I think research clearly shows that not everyone's behavior who commits suicide shows a lack of short or long term planning.

Let's say that Abbie's family knew or suspected she was depressed or had suicidal ideation in the past. If they suspected that the most likely reason for her disappearance was suicide, how would you expect them to act differently than what they have done? They've asked for privacy. They haven't made public pleas for her return from a kidnapper. They haven't issued calls for the public to turn in tips of anything suspicious. In short, they haven't acted like her disappearance is unexplained. The media has portrayed it as unexplained, and the public has jumped to the conclusion that it is unexplained.

I guess my question is, what if the reason for her disappearance is explained, and they are just trying to recover her body at this point? What if they aren't asking for answers, because they don't need any?

Granted, we aren't used to seeing this in missing persons cases because very often the family doesn't know or is in denial that their loved one is suicidal, so it's just one option among many that could explain what happened to them. Therefore, the family's lack of urgency in this case is viewed as inexplicable to us. In reality, there could be a good explanation and one that is very private. It's making me think that seeing all the posts like "Is anyone still looking for Abbie?" "We need justice for Abby" etc could be quite painful for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back