Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niner said:
maybe police should check the refridge in that apt - or maybe all close by apts... for Maddie's DNA - !! - no??
CaliKid said:
While the McCanns were still in Portugal, Gerry claimed they needed a new refrigerator and volunteered to take the old one to the dump. Very suspicious, especially with the DNA testing being done on the clothes in that bag.

soooo... did anything come of this? Did he take the refrig to the dump?? Did anyone see him?? And if so, was it AFTER Maddie went missing??
TIA!

That phrase, "They regret very much that they were not with Madeleine when she was taken" implies that someone was with her, all right. Just not them.

I really hate that wording.

And as it's been pointed out here before, if they'd been with her, she wouldn't have been taken.

Of course it's against the law in Great Britain to leave young children alone. It's just worded so that it can be enforced as necessary, and not applied to every person who actually IS dining "in the garden."

If the refrigerator story has been verified its big news. How the heck did Gerry take it to the dump? He didn't have a rented car then. And moving a refrigerator is a big job. I don't think he could tie it to the top of a car let alone lift it.
And the refrig belonged to the apartments. Why would they let a resident dispose of a refrigerator without permission? Or, give permission?

I've mentioned before that the case is like several others -- Chandra Levy 's body found a year later--strong suspect but not enough evidence to be charged. Same with Natalee Holloway--never found, strong suspects, can't charge them. And JonBenet-- they found the body but could never charge the suspects.

This maybe the case with Maddie--not found, strong suspects, not enough evidence to charge. I think there's someone else who was never found but I can't recall who. But three are three too many.

Zelda, there are a lot of them. Stephanie Condon, IIRC, they have a possible suspect but not enough evidence, etc.

From the above link, http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article468622.ece

Mr Mitchell said: “We will not comment on this, other than to say Kate and Gerry have committed no offence under UK law, indeed any other country’s law.

Unfortunately, it would be an offence in the US, but since it didn't happen here I don't know if the McCanns can be prosecuted. I've heard conflicting reports about whether UK law applies to them in Portugal.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Yourchildssafetyinthehome/DG_070594

There is no legal age limit for leaving a child on their own, but it is an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk. Parents can be prosecuted for neglect if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’ (Children and Young Person’s Act).

Like I said before...CHANGE THE LAW. The McCanns can/will claim what they have been claimig all along..."We felt safe...bla, bla, bla" The lawsuit is a waste of money that could be used to CHANGE the law.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Yourchildssafetyinthehome/DG_070594

Like I said before...CHANGE THE LAW. The McCanns can/will claim what they have been claimig all along..."We felt safe...bla, bla, bla" The lawsuit is a waste of money that could be used to CHANGE the law.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. From your link

The most important factor to consider is how mature the child is......babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone

Children and Young Persons Act 1933 c 12...neglected, abandoned, or exposed, in a manner likely to cause him unnecessary suffering or injury to health ....that person shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and shall be liable--
  • (a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds, or alternatively ... or in addition thereto, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding two years
It is a crime and they have been able to get around it to my thinking.

I was reading one of the links to the Sunday Mirror that someone posted and found these statements interesting!! Sorry, if you guys have already discussed this... but I didn't 'see' anything that pertains to this...

it's called:
I'm Sorry Madeleine:
...snip...
Clutching the pink Cuddle Cat toy which has been a constant cource of comfort to her (Kate) since it was left lying in Madeleine's bed the night she was taken...

aaahhh... wasn't the Cuddle Cat toy ON the shelf???

and this:

Recalling the moment she found her daughter's bed empty, Kate says: "There was 20 seconds of disbelief where I thought, 'that can't be right'. I was checking for her. Then there was panic and fear. That was the first thing that hit. I was screaming her name. I ran to the group. Everyone was the same. It was total fear.

sooo... she didn't run onto the balcony according to this statement... :confused:

From the above link, http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article468622.ece

Unfortunately, it would be an offence in the US, but since it didn't happen here I don't know if the McCanns can be prosecuted. I've heard conflicting reports about whether UK law applies to them in Portugal.

It would not necessarily be an offense in the US. Child abandonment laws are creatures of state. Thus each state has its own law on the books (or has no law). You can't make any blanket statements about what the law is in the US on this subject.

The UK child abandonment law that Rino posted is probably very similar to the kinds of laws found in US states. Most significantly, it doesn't make explicit what "abandonment" means. How long must you leave a child alone for it to be abandonment. Is mowing your lawn with earplugs in while your child plays inside child abandonment? Is sitting out on your neighbor's deck after you've put your child to bed in your house child abandonment? And what if the child is 8? Or 12? Or 15? The statute in the state I live in doesn't contain an age limit.

Under most statutes, whether a child has been "abandoned" turns on the specific facts of the case. You cannot say definitively that what the McCanns did would be an offense in the US.

Niner, that's odd that the article says the toy was left in the bed. Could be just a careless error--as in, "I told them I last saw it lying in her bed" or suspiciously sloppy as in I didn't catch that because the toy was never on the shelf at all.

Thoughtfox, thanks for posting the pics of Madeleine and the Bosnian girl. The girl really doesn't look anything like Madeleine. Is every blonde child with a chin-length bob and heart shaped face in any country except England going to be called in as a Madeleine sighting?

I was reading one of the links to the Sunday Mirror that someone posted and found these statements interesting!! Sorry, if you guys have already discussed this... but I didn't 'see' anything that pertains to this...

it's called:
I'm Sorry Madeleine:
...snip...
Clutching the pink Cuddle Cat toy which has been a constant cource of comfort to her (Kate) since it was left lying in Madeleine's bed the night she was taken...

aaahhh... wasn't the Cuddle Cat toy ON the shelf???

and this:

Recalling the moment she found her daughter's bed empty, Kate says: "There was 20 seconds of disbelief where I thought, 'that can't be right'. I was checking for her. Then there was panic and fear. That was the first thing that hit. I was screaming her name. I ran to the group. Everyone was the same. It was total fear.

sooo... she didn't run onto the balcony according to this statement... :confused:
Can you post the link to this article please Niner, I would like to read it, TIA!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312091,00.html

The private dectective is very close to finding the woman who took Madeline? And, of course, this is being publicized. Give me a break.

You would always publicize that, right, because that way the person you are about to catch would know it.

Just like you would release baby photos of a missing preschooler because that would help identify her to anyone.

:banghead:

You would always publicize that, right, because that way the person you are about to catch would know it.

Just like you would release baby photos of a missing preschooler because that would help identify her to anyone.

:banghead:

Exactly texana, if this was true it would make 0 sense to publisize it. It is like issuing a death sentance on Maddie if she is alive and captive. Totally not belivable to me.

mjak

Originally Posted by Trino
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312091,00.html

The private dectective is very close to finding the woman who took Madeline? And, of course, this is being publicized. Give me a break.
Not realistic at all. Stupid, is what it is.

A few news links - not sure if these have been posted somewhere yet:

*sigh* - There has been another Maddie sighting - or rather, she was seen a long time ago right after the disappearance. Where in the universe has this person been all these months?

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/breakingnews/article_212115369.shtml

Sure, sure - any baby wrapped in a blanket had to be Maddie. *eyeroll* How extremely convenient that this is released just after Jane Tanner's interview, backing up her story.

This one says Kate refuses to take a lie detector test:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=494765&in_page_id=1770

This one based on statements from Auntie Phil about Kate screaming "No! No! No!" when the police offered her a deal to tell the truth and go to jail. This one is to show that Kate was being railroaded, I presume:
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Madeleine+McCann

(Or she could have taken the lie-detector test back then, and there wouldn't have been any railroading, but never mind . . . )

Finally - Murat's mother speaks out on his behalf:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071119/wl_afp/portugalbritainmissing;_ylt=A0WTcVgs_kBH4jMB5xZvaA8F

It's odd that Kate refuses to take the lie detector test,because it's inadmissable in Portugal, when she knows very well that to the rest of the world, the lie detector/polygraph test is a kind of a step one hurdle to making one's innocence clear.

Am I mistaken, or did John Walsh and Mark Klass both take one, voluntarily, very early on in their children's disappearance?

The comment that the McCanns will not take the test because "they know they are innocent" is so disingenuous, to put it mildly. They may know that, but the rest of the world does not. The whole purpose of the test is for others--not for the test-taker, who clearly knows themselves what is, and what is not, reality.

Thanks for the links, Thoughtfox. :blowkiss:

Why not take the LD test? That is certainly a way for Kate put alot of negative thoughts about her to rest.

You were right, both Walsh and Klass took LDT. IIRC, Klass begged to take one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter