Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who kindly responded to my post. Points taken on board, and I don't dispute the fact that the McCanns could have been a lot more careful. However I'm not my brother's keeper. and I'm not responsible for their actions. That is their prerogative. I'm only responsible for mine, and in the end that is ALL that I will judged for.

Now, turning to the original issue. From the Daily Mail:
"British police have also said they are certain that Mr McCann has nothing to do with his daughter’s disappearance."

That's it! The McCanns are not suspects. I wish I could say that this will be the end of the story, but, sigh, sadly I know it will not be.

Have they issued such a statement about Kate McCann?-not being snarky; it just seems strange that it only relates to him

I do have a question that somebody here could maybe answer-if Madeleine's disappearance happened in Portugal, how is it that the main investigative body is SY? I know that our FBI frequently turn up at investigations overseas, but doesn't the investigation stay in the hands of the country where the crime happened?

I understand that the Portugese are no longer investigating the case, having closed it a while back, so SY are not running the Portugese investigation, they're simply running their own with permission from the Porrugese.

Have they issued such a statement about Kate McCann?-not being snarky; it just seems strange that it only relates to him

Fair question and I thought someone might bring it up. The context of this was the issue of the Efits, as some were suggesting that the primary suspect might have been Gerry McCann. Naturally, in that context, only GM fits the bill, hence the reference to him and not Kate. But by implication, of course, Kate isn't a suspect either, because you can hardly suppose that Kate acted all alone.

This seems like a lot of missing children for a small country, doesn't it?

Nope. Six cases a day. Compare it to 2,185 cases a day in U.S. Hell, even Ireland, with a population being a half of the portuguese one has something like fourteen missing kids per day.

Nope. Six cases a day. Compare it to 2,185 cases a day in U.S. Hell, even Ireland, with a population being a half of the portuguese one has something like fourteen missing kids per day.

It is a lot if they were never found... but not sure about statistics in Portugal

LE make all sorts of announcements which are designed to speak directly to the perp.

That's why half the time they seem to contradict themselves. Deeply confusing for your average :websleuther:

I was just watching about Danny Rollins the serial killer, LE had arrested someone else for his crimes. The DNA came back proving their arrested guy was not the one.

They told nobody. They left DR literally ripping women apart in Gainesville and let the public believe the perp was in jail. Sounds almost criminally incompetent, but it was an investigation tactic.

Questionable to some but my point is, LE can and do manipulate what is published if they think it will help an investigation or even cause a perp to become cocky, sloppy or boastful.

:moo:

6pm: Kate takes children back to apartment while Gerry goes to an hour-long tennis lesson.

6.30pm: Gerry asks David Payne, one of the so-called "tapas seven", to check on Kate and the children at the apartment.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/apr/11/madeleinemccann

A timeline from an old article.

Was it ever explained why GM needed or wanted DP to check on Kate and the kids?

This sounds extremely strange to me. Kate is a grown woman, why does anybody need to check on her? I think she ought to be able to manage an hour or a half. And if not, if GM had reason to worry why didn't he go himself?

I live in Ireland, and if there were 14 children disappearing a day, there would be no children left. I doubt that statistic somehow.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/apr/11/madeleinemccann

A timeline from an old article.

Was it ever explained why GM needed or wanted DP to check on Kate and the kids?

This sounds extremely strange to me. Kate is a grown woman, why does anybody need to check on her? I think she ought to be able to manage an hour or a half. And if not, if GM had reason to worry why didn't he go himself?

Whatever it was, that check is part of it.

The checker, Payne, says it was a 5 minute visit.

Kate says he didn't even come inside, more like 30 seconds, she was in the shower.

Someone was/is/has always been lying about that little incident.

:scared:

It would force the McCann into a witness box, something which has never been achieved before.

:seeya:

Didn't they both give evidence in a Portuguese witness box recently? Nobody forced them there, but I'm sure they were cross examined.

I live in Ireland, and if there were 14 children disappearing a day, there would be no children left. I doubt that statistic somehow.

I think most missing children don't get publicity because they're either known to be runaways who usually return or parental abductions.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...reports-investigated-in-past-decade-1.1508737

50,000 missing children reports investigated in past decade
Average of 18 reports on missing children filed in the State each day last year

It doesn't mean that they all remain missing.

The figures show 207 children who were reported missing between 2003 and 2012 “remain untraced”, with the whereabouts of a further 174 adults who went missing in the same period also unknown.

Didn't they both give evidence in a Portuguese witness box recently? Nobody forced them there, but I'm sure they were cross examined.

If you're talking about the libel trial it was reported they wanted to but that at least Gerry was unsure if he would be allowed. I haven't seen any articles saying that they have already testified but I could have missed something

http://news.sky.com/story/1152016/madeleine-mccann-kate-wants-to-testify

The McCanns' spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, has confirmed that lawyer Isabel Duarte lodged an application last week for Mrs McCann to take the stand as well.

If the judge grants the application, the couple will return to Lisbon.

It is thought that if they do give evidence, it will be at the end of the trial next month.

As far as the missing kids statistics, there's kids and there's kids.

There are children who run away, who are seduced away, etc.

There are precious few under the age of 12 who hit the streets.

There are even fewer who don't come home eventually, or located alive and well somewhere they shouldn't be.

I want to know the missing child stats for toddlers taken from hotel rooms and never recovered, before I go getting excited about a pattern or using the stats to support a otherwise baseless argument.

:rolleyes:

207 children disappeared over the course of nine years sounds more realistic. I bet most of them are parental abductions and runaways though. Cases of children like Mary Boyle who disappear into thin air would be very rare.

More realistic than what?

No, they haven't given evidence yet, they've only spoken in court to ask the judge to allow them to...

The tormented mother of Madeleine McCann has said she wants to defend herself in open court for the first time against Portuguese police 'smears' over her daughter's disappearance.

Kate McCann has asked a judge for permission to address a libel trial brought after a controversial book suggested the McCanns may have hidden their daughter's body and staged an abduction.

The author of The Truth Of The Lie is ex-police chief Goncalo Amaral, 56, who was tasked with investigating Madeleine's May 2007 disappearance.

Kate's husband Gerry and Mr Amaral have already applied to speak in the Portuguese court.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ns-mother-Kate-wants-defend-court-smears.html

So, it doesn't seem like much forcing is needed to get them in a witness box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BasicallyAnxious