Mariah Carey’s Disaster Performance on New Year’s Eve 2017

If you have twitter and want some entertainment, just type her name into the search. The comments are hysterical. My favorite (and it seems it's pretty popular with a lot of others as well)

[video=twitter;815423854164246529]https://twitter.com/toddycst/status/815423854164246529[/video]

I just have two words for Mariah Carey: Sober Up.Get off the booze or the drugs or whatever it is, or you'll never live to see 2018.

She/they seriously did not know what time the ball would drop? Also, look at thes pics and vids of her. This woman has a problem:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ake-sure-isn-t-late-Times-Square-NYE-gig.html

Getting caught up and glad to see I am not alone on this one. I found the comments brilliant as well - just funny stuff.

Don't know where it was , but apparently did not know that the city she was playing was in a different time zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAyKWe0WY6QGive. Me. A. Break. Almost scary!

then this a total lie!!!

and then listen to the last like 30 seconds she is so off pitch --I am sure touring is rough but hurts!

In t fairness was her first number - so they got to it all working !! Always fascinating whatever song they do first means their over singing it!! Get the pipes oiled!!

[video=youtube;cLQxPwvaYvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQxPwvaYvI[/video]

Favorite from Josh Grobin

"How many people woke up this morning feeling like Don Lemon's pierced ear?" he asked.

Saw him he was awesome just awesome!!

Dick Clark Productions, according to TMZ, alleging that the technical difficulties happened purposely to goose ratings...

ABC dominated New Year’s Eve viewing with its four-hour telecast, formally titled “Dick Clark’s Primetime New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest.” From 8-11 p.m., the special grabbed 8.2 million viewers and 2.4 rating/9 share in the adults 18-49 demographic, according to preliminary Nielsen estimates. In primetime, ABC beat the combined 18-49 ratings of CBS, NBC and Fox.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/mariah-carey-new-years-lip-sync-1201950940/

experienced technical difficulties during her set at the Times Square show, prompting her to lose her place while lip-syncing, a common practice at high-profile events televised live

http://www.eonline.com/news/819028/josh-groban-deletes-snarky-tweet-about-mariah-carey-s-new-year-s-eve-performance-here-s-why.

Breaking news: Mariah Carey has just been invited to sing at Trump's inauguration

Russians sabotage Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve performance. A furious Obama deports Russian choreographer

With 15 minutes remaining before the New Year, 2016 claimed its final victim: Mariah Carey’s career.

How come Mariah Carey gets to do karaoke in Times Square?

JUST IN: 16 US Intelligence Agencies claim The Russians hacked Mariah Carey's earpiece.

2017 is trying to one up 2016 by preemptively killing Mariah Carey on live TV.

http://www.brit.co/14-of-the-most-lol-worthy-tweets-about-mariah-careys-nye-disaster/

http://www.cp24.com/entertainment-n...jects-mariah-carey-s-sabotage-claim-1.3224271
Carey was visibly upset during the performance and afterward tweeted "(expletive) happens." Her representative Nicole Perna blamed technical difficulties, and in an interview with Billboard she said Dick Clark Productions hampered Carey's performance.
In a statement released on Sunday, the production company called such claims "absurd."

"As the premier producer of live television events for nearly 50 years, we pride ourselves on our reputation and long-standing relationships with artists," it said. "To suggest that dcp (Dick Clark Productions), as producer of music shows including the American Music Awards, Billboard Music Awards, New Year's Rockin' Eve and Academy of Country Music Awards, would ever intentionally compromise the success of any artist is defamatory, outrageous and frankly absurd."

Oh welp.

Once she mentioned that she needed holiday time too. That pretty much said it all about her mental state.

Because times Square isn't packed on new years eve to see Mariah.

They would have been partying just the same if Honey Booboo was up there singing kiddie songs. Lol

But seriously. Maybe MC should wake up and realize that she has kids and it's time to exit the limelight and be a mom.

Jmo
Would you be saying this to male performers/singers?It is not the 1950's anymore and she can have children and a profession. jmo.

The answer to Mariah Carey's technical difficulty explained by a sound engineer.

“Sound from the front of house line array (PA speakers pointed towards the audience) are VERY directional. It's difficult to hear the sound clearly when standing behind a line array. In addition to this the physical distance from her position on stage to the speakers was roughly 30 to 50 feet. That translates to about 3 to 5 milliseconds of sound delay. Imagine trying to sing along with music that has a delay in it! It's very distracting and basically impossible.

Had production taken the time to swap out the in-ear monitors for a working set the show would have gone on just fine. -ALWAYS good to have backup gear ready to go!”

http://imgur.com/topic/The_More_You_Know/TqQef

This explains some of the tech difficulty. The backup ear buds would be from her team as they are custom fit. Also, we in TV land don’t hear the volume of a million revelers. That sound is way lowered for broadcast. Dancers can feel and rely on the beat.

In fairness, I’m sure that fiasco was the last thing she would have wanted. Especially the piece where her high notes are piped in for lip sync. Kind of like the Oz curtain got pulled back. That’s not to say that she couldn’t have winged it better. Performers are trained for such times.

Even though she’s been a pro for decades, I am actually surprised they booked her for the main act as her live performances are known to be uneven.

I'm a professional musician a bass player.

I started playing at age 13 and have been playing music for a living since 1989 for almost 28 years.

I've been very fortunate and blessed to have performed with some well known artists none that have lipped synced or used a lead vocal in a backing track. With that being said.

1: Can Mariah Carey sing?
Yes she can but for whatever reason her vocal ability has diminished greatly since her debut in 1990. 25 Plus years.

The 2016 NYE Performance:

The song Emotions which was released in 1991.
The original key of this song on the album is A Minor. The key of the track from NYE is
F Sharp minor which is lower by a minor 3rd. This common for a singer to lower the key because the range of a vocalist can diminish over the years and it's more to comfortable perform in a lower key.

So it's obvious that she normally sings along with a pre recorded lead vocal track.
On NYE the lead vocal was missing from the backing track of Emotions.
In my estimation there are a few ways for this to happen.

1: They used they wrong track:

If a stereo track was being used for the NYE performance it was the wrong backing track minus the lead vocal.
Which is how many artists perform on occasion minus the lead vocal on the backing track. This is commonly referred to as a "TV Track"
So there could have been 2 Emotions tracks one with Lead Vocal one without Lead vocal and the wrong one was used.

2: The backing tracks being used were part of a multi track session and the lead vocal was muted.

Many if not all major pop artists use the computer recording program Pro Tools or some other program in their shows with pre recorded multi track material
In this case you could have the music on one track and her vocals on another track. If somehow the vocals were muted or for some technical reason the vocal track wouldn't play.

The song We Belong Together:

I believe that song was released in 2005 so she's 10-11 years removed from that.

I believe at the start of this song on NYE she said "This is the album version" while moving with the dancers. This makes sense.

The album version of this song is in the key of C Major. The key of track from NYE is also C Major.
So it's not a lowered version.

Here's the tricky musical part.

As I mentioned before The original key of Emotions from the album is the key of A minor. The Key of A minor and The
Key of C Major are the same.
All Major keys have what is called a relative Minor Key. The relative Minor key C Major is A Minor.

So the original version of Emotions is A minor
The original version of We Belong together is C Major both the same key.

But the Emotions track for NYE was a lowered version to F Sharp Minor which obviously is more comfortable for her to sing along with.

The version of We Belong Together being used on NYE was not a lowered version which would make it very difficult for her to sing along with.
She could hear this immediately because she has a good ear for hearing a key change and the fact she probably has been singing along with the lowered version for many years.
I'm almost certain that a lowered key version of We Belong together was meant to be used.
The jump down from C Major the album key to A Major which I believe would have been the performance key is a huge change for a vocalist. If a vocalist can't perform comfortably or in this case sing along comfortably in the higher key it's a big deal. The large key change from album version to performance version is a indicator of how her vocal range has diminished over the years.

The majority of vocalist I have performed with may go half step or a whole step lower in key.
For Mariah NYE performance of Emotions the key change was a whole step and a half lower. This is not unheard of just a indicator of where her range is now.

So what happened to Mariah Carey on NYE is what can happen when using pre recorded tracks which is the wrong one being played or something is missing from what is being played.

Is Mariah Carey a fraud?

I don't believe she is. Her early recordings are proof of that.
As I said in the beginning her vocal ability has diminished a great deal over the years. At 46 she can't vocally do what she did at 20. But this is true for many in any profession.

It can be argued that she is fooling the audience by using pre recorded lead vocals but a lot of artists do this. As a musician I don't like it but it is what it is in the business these days.

The voice is a natural instrument. There are things that can affect that instrument like no other. Age, Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking, Even Milk and Cheese or Acidic foods.
It can be frustrating to have this amazing gift and have it diminished for reasons of her own doing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just flipping thru channels......heard that a lot of people believe this was a publicity stunt for her reality show. Not sure where that came from.

snippets from link below and or mariah's people excuses

with malfunctioning sound gear.

her inner ears were NOT working

equipment to malfunction

through which the singer can hear her music and people talking to her

While Dick Clark Productions declined to respond, a source claimed the real sound issue was that “Mariah didn’t rehearse.”

A few hours after the show, Mariah took to Twitter to declare, “S–t happens. Have a happy and healthy new year everybody! Here’s to making more headlines in 2017.”

The drama came two years after Carey kept fans waiting for three hours in freezing rain before pre-taping a number for the 2014 Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting.

She ended up performing live at the lighting the next night, and later blasted that show’s producers for leaking audio of her failing to hit the high notes on her hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You.”

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/01/maria...-ratings/?_ga=1.88156306.860237716.1483020130

Just my 2 cents. I have a hard time with the thought that music she was going to sing to was from recordings that she didn't know about or from when they were from.
Her people failed her, she should probably retire and let her recording go forward. She failed and so did Dick Clark productions for having her there. jmo

=Sherlock Homie;13040357

So what happened to Mariah Carey on NYE is what can happen when using pre recorded tracks which is the wrong one being played or something is missing from what is being played.

Is Mariah Carey a fraud?

As I said in the beginning her vocal ability has diminished a great deal over the years. At 46 she can't vocally do what she did at 20. But this is true for many in any profession.

It can be argued that she is fooling the audience by using pre recorded lead vocals but a lot of artists do this. As a musician I don't like it but it is what it is in the business these days.

The voice is a natural instrument. There are things that can affect that instrument like no other. Age, Alcohol, Drugs, Smoking, Even Milk and Cheese or Acidic foods.
It can be frustrating to have this amazing gift and have it diminished for reasons of her own doing or not.

RTBM: Sherlock - thank you for informative post. And bbm: explains a lot. It sure seemed like something was very awry.

By comparison, one can really feel and hear the difference in Gloria Estefan's live, obviously well rehearsed performance with a great band.

The Las Vegas glitz that Carey may think is necessary for image and act I almost think competes with her music. She has some wonderful hits. -I think back to her MTV Unplugged performance in all its glory where she and her musicians were unencumbered by the image theatrics and where the sheer power of her pipes and musicality came through.

snippets from link below and or mariah's people excuses

with malfunctioning sound gear.

her inner ears were NOT working

equipment to malfunction

through which the singer can hear her music and people talking to her

While Dick Clark Productions declined to respond, a source claimed the real sound issue was that “Mariah didn’t rehearse.”

A few hours after the show, Mariah took to Twitter to declare, “S–t happens. Have a happy and healthy new year everybody! Here’s to making more headlines in 2017.”

The drama came two years after Carey kept fans waiting for three hours in freezing rain before pre-taping a number for the 2014 Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting.

She ended up performing live at the lighting the next night, and later blasted that show’s producers for leaking audio of her failing to hit the high notes on her hit “All I Want for Christmas Is You.”

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/01/maria...-ratings/?_ga=1.88156306.860237716.1483020130

Just my 2 cents. I have a hard time with the thought that music she was going to sing to was from recordings that she didn't know about or from when they were from.
Her people failed her, she should probably retire and let her recording go forward. She failed and so did Dick Clark productions for having her there. jmo

The real thing to me is she has been doing this a long time. Your crowd is blasted 62% of the crowd staring at her legs, and breasts and could care less.

She can sing somewhat better than most of us in the shower, just do it - when it all messed up.

Noone would care or know if she hit a flat C or D- or whatever - most were blasted, exhausted, cold, tired - it is not the setting where your house is all freshly showered and ready for a show!

Its a street carnival - move your mouth and have something come out of your throat no one cared!!!!!!!!!!

moo

Some people were hooting and hollering as she walked to the left and back to the right then back to left--we are people-- we have no idea of the scales !!
HA!

I started playing at age 13 and have been playing music for a living since 1989 for almost 28 years.

I've been very fortunate and blessed to have performed with some well known artists none that have lipped synced or used a lead vocal in a backing track. With that being said.

Yes she can but for whatever reason her vocal ability has diminished greatly since her debut in 1990. 25 Plus years.

The original key of this song on the album is A Minor. The key of the track from NYE is
F Sharp minor which is lower by a minor 3rd. This common for a singer to lower the key because the range of a vocalist can diminish over the years and it's more to comfortable perform in a lower key.

So it's obvious that she normally sings along with a pre recorded lead vocal track.

If a stereo track was being used for the NYE performance it was the wrong backing track minus the lead vocal.
Which is how many artists perform on occasion minus the lead vocal on the backing track. This is commonly referred to as a "TV Track"
So there could have been 2 Emotions tracks one with Lead Vocal one without Lead vocal and the wrong one was used.

2: The backing tracks being used were part of a multi track session and the lead vocal was muted.

Many if not all major pop artists use the computer recording program Pro Tools or some other program in their shows with pre recorded multi track material
In this case you could have the music on one track and her vocals on another track. If somehow the vocals were muted or for some technical reason the vocal track wouldn't play.

I believe that song was released in 2005 so she's 10-11 years removed from that.

I believe at the start of this song on NYE she said "This is the album version" while moving with the dancers. This makes sense.

The album version of this song is in the key of C Major. The key of track from NYE is also C Major.

As I mentioned before The original key of Emotions from the album is the key of A minor. The Key of A minor and The
All Major keys have what is called a relative Minor Key. The relative Minor key C Major is A Minor.

But the Emotions track for NYE was a lowered version to F Sharp Minor which obviously is more comfortable for her to sing along with.

The version of We Belong Together being used on NYE was not a lowered version which would make it very difficult for her to sing along with.
She could hear this immediately because she has a good ear for hearing a key change and the fact she probably has been singing along with the lowered version for many years.
I'm almost certain that a lowered key version of We Belong together was meant to be used.
The jump down from C Major the album key to A Major which I believe would have been the performance key is a huge change for a vocalist. If a vocalist can't perform comfortably or in this case sing along comfortably in the higher key it's a big deal. The large key change from album version to performance version is a indicator of how her vocal range has diminished over the years.

The majority of vocalist I have performed with may go half step or a whole step lower in key.
For Mariah NYE performance of Emotions the key change was a whole step and a half lower. This is not unheard of just a indicator of where her range is now.

Is Mariah Carey a fraud?

That was an awesome post !! TY!

Is Mariah Carey a fraud?

Dear sherlock

you should know better ! You cant come here and tell us this without giving us some info like:

What star was neat

what star was a a *****

etc etc

we want all the nuance and behind the scenes info!

When you are saying Lead vocal (live) are they singing , the mike working , or is it just like singing along or is it nothing live kinda like a drag show- just moving your mouth??:Qurstions

So, does it mean everytime we see and artist with stuff in their ears they are doing tracks?

What would have happened if she just started singing the lead track?

Woud we have noticed?

What is your opinion of auto tune ?

What percentage of folks do not use it or something like it in the studios these days.

How can this not seem like cheating ?

I would prefer to hear a song done differently live --I have the track at home !!

Lauper is amazing at this . Very rarely (seen her a lot!) is it ever the same. That to me is a true vocalist.

Loved Vicki Sue Robinson. Will skip the long story but will never forget one night she said (they got her their late and she had another gig ) and she goes (background track started for the encore) "no, no no,their are other people waiting to "hear" me I am sorry I have to go "

It so registered to me- for you guys that is what we are doing - paying to "hear" you . We say went to see Vicki Sue Robinson not wanna hear Vicki - it was such a neat distinction to me, and it was just natural for a pro. Hear vs See!

How many of the folks you have worked with feel like slitting their wrists playing their big hits! Endlessly! For life!

In the old days were their sound checks? Did you walk on at curtain at do your thing and leave?

Natural real authentic.

What does a click track mean ?

We want to know all the info of the stars

TIA!

Is Mariah Carey a fraud?

So are we talking about MORE than one FU on the production peoples fault?

Or to put it another way they got 66% of their job wrong?

The Lang sang song or whatever it is called (makes me want to slit my wrists!) was awful IMO was that totally live ??

Why cant I just sing along in the lower key and let the track be the higher key - do they have to match as far as the audience goes? Would any of us, non pros, really "hear" any of this??

Can she sue them??

So cool to "talk" with someone who can explain it.

This explains some of the tech difficulty. The backup ear buds would be from her team as they are custom fit. Also, we in TV land don’t hear the volume of a million revelers. That sound is way lowered for broadcast. Dancers can feel and rely on the beat.

In fairness, I’m sure that fiasco was the last thing she would have wanted. Especially the piece where her high notes are piped in for lip sync. Kind of like the Oz curtain got pulled back. That’s not to say that she couldn’t have winged it better. Performers are trained for such times.

Even though she’s been a pro for decades, I am actually surprised they booked her for the main act as her live performances are known to be uneven.

Just mo I think this is cause she is so addicted to showing her range- i am into female vocalists. But from day one , it always sounded like she just sticks in runs for no other reason that she can.

IMO runs need to add to the meaning - not just thrown in . I think that is why her music has always been agitating to me - wail away my dear when the song calls for it, (typically at the end) in the place the material needs- dont just go off screeching in the middle of every verse - its quite annoying!!!!!!!!!!

Every track of Vicki Sue's fades were incredible - she throws dust to the wind and scants!! Ad lib!

moo

Would you be saying this to male performers/singers?It is not the 1950's anymore and she can have children and a profession. jmo.

Hummm.........I am sorry to say when I first read this I thought oh my goodness , no, I would not think this about a male performer.

Boy that is a awful wakeup notion!!

Interesting point.

I am going to be soo cool now and say

my bad

Hate the expression, to go around saying that can not help ones self esteem - its shaming and blaming !

talk about off track!! Huh!

Boy if this is not a passive aggressive referral to drugs/ alcohol I don't know what is ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• I can’t comment beyond that and don’t know what her nontechnical issue may have been.”

There are several references to the crowd being drunk or blasted. FYI, it is illegal to drink in public in NYC and security is at an all time high. Just for those who actually believe the majority of the crowd was drinking.
I would feel bad for Mariah if she were the least bit likeable and not a total diva. If you wanted a holiday you should have said no and went the heck on holiday. I think you could have managed to afford it!

Mariah intends to launch her own investigation into this disaster

"Now, according to The Sun, Mariah wants a full-blown investigation after having done a soundcheck the same afternoon to ensure that everything runs smoothly.

“Mariah is fuming and has been left very upset for the past couple of days. She won’t let this go and believes somebody tried to sabotage her,” an insider told the newspaper.

“She is launching her own investigation into the incident.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/embarrassed-mariah-carey-launches-investigation-9553940

"Just one more thing"

It's a pity Columbo can't be hired to solve this mystery.

Question #1
In ear monitors are what a performer has in their ear. They are essentially earphones.
Having these in doesn't mean a performer is using backing tracks.
In ear monitoring has basically replaced in some instances stage monitoring where there are speakers on the stage in front of each musician.
In the case of using tracks it's better to have in ear monitoring where there could be a click track.

#2 Well if she actually had a problem with her in ear monitors and couldn't hear the music it would have been difficult for her to just start singing. This hard to answer without hearing what she was hearing. I've seen singers do it but I was able to hear what they were hearing.

#3 You probably would have noticed.

#4 Auto Tune back in the day was used to correct pitch now it's used as a effect for vocals and has become a style.
There are more powerful tools used today to correct pitch on vocals in the studio.

#4 Well as far as pitch correction and what artists use it. It's hard to say. Sometimes you can have a vocal performance in the studio that had a great vibe but there could be some flat or sharp notes. You can fix those notes and keep the essence of the performance.
Then sometimes a vocalist could have terrible pitch and the whole performance can be fixed to make sound more pleasing to the listener.

#5 Depending on the situation it is cheating.
For example if you have a singer that looks amazing is sexy and a amazing dancer but who sings pitchy very flat or sharp and you make this artist into something they are not it is cheating but the music business and the public these days says it's okay.

#6 I agree. As a musician it's refreshing to play it different from the studio version.

#7 Many artists do get tired of performing a hit but they must because their audience may demand it. Especially if it's something they are really known for.

#8 Definitely sound checks in the old days. Still today especially important when using on stage monitoring.
Some big music festivals you do what's called a line check just to make sure everything is working properly like microphones and audio lines from guitar amps etc.

#9 A click track is a essentially a tempo track. It's usually the sound of a wood block counting 1-2-3-4 on and on.
When using tracks in a live performance it's the guide for keeping everyone in sync.
In the studio basically the same thing you play along to a click track to keep you in relative sync with any previously recorded tracks or programmed music.

I've had the blessing of performing with some artists that I grew up listening to that I consider legendary and they were some of the most down to earth people I've ever met in the business. And some that aren't so legendary that were not nice but that's true with all people we may meet everyday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back