MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The public statements from the university and meeting with students are a marked contrast from the way the university handled an investigation into the death of student Laura Dickinson almost exactly six years ago.

Dickinson’s body was discovered in her dorm room in December 2006 nude from the waist down, with evidence of a sexual assault. Despite that, officials did not warn EMU students that Dickinson was murdered until they arrested Orange Taylor III for the crime two months later. Taylor was eventually convicted of the crime.

The failure to inform students was a violation of the federal Cleary Act. The federal government issued a $350,000 fine against the university. Three top administrators, including university President John Fallon and Public Safety Director Cindy Hall, lost their jobs in the ensuing fallout.
http://annarbor.com/news/ypsilanti/...owing-death-of-student/?cmpid=mlive-@aa-river

Message from President Susan Martin: Today's tragic news saddens EMU community; campus safety forum today at 4 p.m.

Our understanding is that police were called to Julia's apartment after a suitemate reported not having seen her for several days. The Ypsilanti Police Department is continuing to investigate the case. The EMU Police Department is working closely with Ypsilanti Police and we will report additional information as we obtain it, and as events may warrant.

http://www.emich.edu/univcomm/releases/release.php?id=1355342262

Isn't a suite mate the same thing as a roommate? I'm confused. How is the suite mate saying she hadn't seen Julia for several days but Julia was found at her apartment?

Isn't a suite mate the same thing as a roommate? I'm confused. How is the suite mate saying she hadn't seen Julia for several days but Julia was found at her apartment?

yes, the apartments have separate bedrooms with their own bathrooms with shared common areas

I am as confused as you are about the bolded part! what the hello?

that is my question.. Unless a suite mate is a person living in the apartment unit... And not in the same apartment... As Julia?

JMO

the apartment link said that the multiple bedroom apartments have separate bedrooms with doors that lock on the inside

so was her door just shut and no one checked on her???? or was she hidden??? makes no sense especially considering it is a homicide investigation.

??????

something is off here.

.....Or if her roommate was staying elsewhere for a few days; not in her shared apartment with Julia...

Like maybe the roommate was staying at a friend's place for a few days... And had not had any contact with Julia....Or seen Julia at classes.... Or had not seen her at social engagements?

JMO

.....Or if her roommate was staying elsewhere for a few days; not in her shared apartment with Julia...

Like maybe the roommate was staying at a friend's place for a few days... And had not had any contact with Julia....Or seen Julia at classes.... Or had not seen her at social engagements?

JMO

Yes, but why not go home and check on her? This person just went ahead and called the police first. Perhaps the suitemate was out of town and couldn't get to the apartment to check on her. Of course we don't know where Julia was found in the apt or in what condition (I apologize for the mental image) either. If you catch my drift. Gulp.

her twitter has pictures of her with her "roomies" (there are three of them all together)

also: I know from my relative that this week and next are finals. Lots of studying going on and cramming for tests. My relative passed out his take home final last week and it is due tomorrow. Maybe they thought she was at the library or something????? IDK

Yes, but why not go home and check on her? This person just went ahead and called the police first. Perhaps the suitemate was out of town and couldn't get to the apartment to check on her. Of course we don't know where Julia was found in the apt or in what condition (I apologize for the mental image) either. If you catch my drift. Gulp.

Judging by her twitter feed, she posted most days, there's nothing there after December 7th. There is talk of finals, I wonder if the finals were last week? Maybe students off campus after they're done?

the apartment link said that the multiple bedroom apartments have separate bedrooms with doors that lock on the inside

so was her door just shut and no one checked on her???? or was she hidden??? makes no sense especially considering it is a homicide investigation.

??????

something is off here.

Something odd about a twitter post on the 5th too...hopefully it's in jest.

her twitter has pictures of her with her "roomies" (there are three of them all together)

also: I know from my relative that this week and next are finals. Lots of studying going on and cramming for tests. My relative passed out his take home final last week and it is due tomorrow. Maybe they thought she was at the library or something????? IDK

thanks for the inside info, Nurse....

Stilll ... If she was in the apartment.... With the door closed.... Deceased.....wouldn't there be some uh... Er... "Signs" of her throughout the apartment?

(sorry for graphics... But certain,odors?)

you are so right about the twitter inthedark14...

"a few days" would fit with her twitter silence as well :-(

Judging by her twitter feed, she posted most days, there's nothing there after December 7th. There is talk of finals, I wonder if the finals were last week? Maybe students off campus after they're done?

Something odd about a twitter post on the 5th too...hopefully it's in jest.

Hope it was in jest... but still. Strange coincidence.

Twitter is saying she was found in her bedroom after a roommate reported not having seen her in several days.

https://twitter.com/kfeldscheraacom
(paraphrasing)
A reporter from annarbor.com states via twitter that Det. Eberts confirms that she was found in her bedroom, she had two suitemates one of which called police after she hadn't been seen for days :(

jeez... I would hope that one of my roommates would have opened my door to check on me before that!

She had to have missed work and classes... she was a very busy person based on her twitter, other online things, and based on what her teachers have said about her.

What a shame :-(

So what prompted them to finally call at 2130 last night????

Also, I am sure they tried to call her... so wouldn't they hear her phone ringing in her bedroom???

I wonder when she last spoke to her family?

they seemed so close!

I wonder where her twin went to college...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname