MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so confused. BBM above: what should be done?
A blood gas test that determines the amount of carbon monoxide in GF's blood that would indicate if he had died (or was at least a contributing factor to his death) as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from the squad car exhaust.

hemoglobin oxygen was at 98%
the maximum of other gases could be 2%

I just don’t understand how his blood oxygen level was so high if he died from lack of oxygen.
I tried to do some research - will keep looking - but according to this article (Evaluation of post-mortem oxymetry with reference to the causes of death - PubMed) it says:
O2-Hb in the heart blood was usually very low (under 10%) in fatalities from asphyxiation

anyone with more expertise in who could chime in would be greatly appreciated!

Well that’s all folks! Defense went out with a whimper IMO. DC not testifying was the right call! For a second I thought ohhhhhhhh Nelson is asking him the questions maybe he’s defying Nelson’s advice but alas we were deprived of the best ever cross of a defendant from Schleicher the sly fox!!!

Dr. Baker did not include the specific test that the prosecution wanted to bring in as "new evidence." The judge ruled that since the prosecution knew about Fowler's claim of potential carbon monoxide poisoning, they should have inquired about it before. However, they wouldn't have known about second test since Dr. Baker left it out of the report. He apparently called them last night to let them know.

Anyway, it seems they didn't need it because Dr. Tobin was able to refer to the test result that was initially included, which was the blood sample showing 98% oxygen, which would mean it would be impossible for the carbon monoxide level to be more than 2%. (I think his level was 1.5, but that information was not allowed)

At least that's the way I understood it.
Thank you for explaining this. I was in PT this morning and missed the whole thing and was trying to figure out what happened.

So, Dr. Tobin to the rescue... again

The court is in recess until Monday. So nothing to air until then.

Oh, ok! I had thought that the counsels were going to discuss jury instructions and motions that are still outstanding prior to such. (Assume BIG TIME this is one which will be broadcasted.. how they will do so quick and have jury in at the time they stated.. wow!)

Good to know!

Did he specifically state that Monday would be when that was done? I know they cut it close... but why not in the next two days they have open to nail down jury instructions?

Well that’s all folks! Defense went out with a whimper IMO. DC not testifying was the right call! For a second I thought ohhhhhhhh Nelson is asking him the questions maybe he’s defying Nelson’s advice but alas we were deprived of the best ever cross of a defendant from Schleicher the sly fox!!!
And now the jury must be wondering why Chauvin didn't bother to explain or defend himself. Or maybe not. They probably already know the answer.

*still searching for live feed for such*

TIA if anyone has as WaPo has cut feed without explanation.
Friday was already scheduled to be a day off for jurors so they could prepare over weekend to be sequestered next week. Defense did not call final witness and rested. Prosecution's rebuttal was very short. Prosecution rested. Today ended earlier than expected. Judge said they will not alter pre-determined schedule and will continue as planned. Monday closing arguments will begin.

If it is a simple as Tobin says, i.e. 98% O2 saturation means max 2% CO (but more likely other gases too) which would be normal levels, then I'm rather confused why a forensic pathologist would try to claim carbon monoxide poisoning..

I just don’t understand how his blood oxygen level was so high if he died from lack of oxygen.
I tried to do some research - will keep looking - but according to this article (Evaluation of post-mortem oxymetry with reference to the causes of death - PubMed) it says:

?? He had death ---> brain death prior ?? But with the mechanical ventilation and the pumping by mechanical, it kept his blood moving? He had heart electrical activity?

As we have followed here on some extraordinary cases of such?

I’m interested in this too. I know less than nothing about it so if you happen to find an answer, let us know! TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502