MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article243202666.html

June 2, 2020

Chauvin, who was arrested Friday, was reportedly not at the Florida home at the time of the protests. Two women vandalized the Florida home of the former Minneapolis police officer who is charged with George Floyd’s murder, deputies say.

Katelin Benoit, 18, and Kimberly Guzman, 20, were arrested Friday on criminal mischief charges after throwing paint on the front door of Derek Chauvin’s home, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

@Jax49 kindly provided (post #111) the following news article:

Expert details why other officers in George Floyd's death haven't been charged
"Friedberg said the attorney general, who is now in charge of the case, will likely have to amend the complaint and charge Chauvin with first or second-degree murder before anything else happens with the other three officers."

"He could be charged with intentional but not premeditated second-degree murder. He could be charged with unintentional second-degree murder with force, which is called felony murder. Either one of those two crimes you can have accessories to."

@Jax49 kindly provided (post #111) the following news article:

Expert details why other officers in George Floyd's death haven't been charged
"Friedberg said the attorney general, who is now in charge of the case, will likely have to amend the complaint and charge Chauvin with first or second-degree murder before anything else happens with the other three officers."

"He could be charged with intentional but not premeditated second-degree murder. He could be charged with unintentional second-degree murder with force, which is called felony murder. Either one of those two crimes you can have accessories to."

How could it be unintentional after they knew he had no pulse? If they think they can prove it, I'm holding out for 1st degree.

How could it be unintentional after they knew he had no pulse? If they think they can prove it, I'm holding out for 1st degree.

Dear @Gardenista,

I'm with you!

My hope is great that it will be 1st or 2nd degree murder announced in the upcoming press conference from A.G. Ellison. I agree wholeheartedly that this calls for 1st degree murder and I also understand that prosecutors sometimes charge a lesser charge in order for a successful outcome.

We shall see and I am so very hopeful. I have faith in A.G. Keith Ellison.

Dear @Gardenista,

I'm with you!

My hope is great that it will be 1st or 2nd degree murder announced in the upcoming press conference from A.G. Ellison. I agree wholeheartedly that this calls for 1st degree murder and I also understand that prosecutors sometimes charge a lesser charge in order for a successful outcome.

We shall see and I am so very hopeful. I have faith in A.G. Keith Ellison.

MN might be one of the states that allows them to be convicted on a lesser charge if the jury doesn't think they proved the case on the higher charge. If so, surely they will go for 1st.

Minnesota AG: Prosecutors working on potential officer charges | kare11.com

June 2, 2020:
Ellison: Prosecutors working 'as fast as they can' on potential officer charges in death of George Floyd

"We are pouring through it (case files) as fast as we can,"MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota’s Attorney General says prosecutors are working as fast as they can to determine whether more charges will be filed against officers involved in the death of George Floyd, but they also have to work carefully and methodically.

I would be greatly interested in finding out who's police car Floyd was placed in. We know that he was not resisting prior to this and there is a short clip of what seems like an officer pushing him in. Was he in Chauvin’s cruiser or was he being taken out of another cruiser to be put in Chauvin’s car?

Last edited:
I would be greatly interested in finding out who's police car Floyd was placed in. We know that he was not resisting prior to this and there is a short clip of what seems like an officer pushing him in. Was he in Chauvin’s cruiser or was he being taken out of another cruiser to be put in Chauvin’s car?

Video evidence show Floyd being handcuffed and later taken across the street and put in a cruiser. Later footage shows an officer apparently punching Floyd while he was in the back of the cruiser then another officer pulls Floyd out of the other side of the cruiser and puttimg him on the ground. While the four officers had Floyd pinned to the ground they ordered him to get back in the car but didn’t release him to make it possible. The New York Times put together a good video showing all of this. I will see if I can find a link.

George Floyd protests: Derek Chauvin charged with 2nd degree murder, 3 other officers charged

George Floyd’s family calls charging decisions against officers ‘bittersweet’
Update 2:40 p.m. EDT June 3: The family of George Floyd called the decision Wednesday to charge three more officers in the 46-year-old’s death and to upgrade the charge against Officer Derek Chauvin to second-degree murder “bittersweet.”

“We are deeply gratified that (Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison) took decision action, arresting (and) charging ALL the officers involved in (George Floyd’s) death (and) upgrading the charge against Derek Chauvin to felony second-degree murder,” Floyd’s family said in a statement shared by Crump."

I am not sure if we can discuss Chauvin's soon to be ex-wife. I wonder if she was truly appalled and immediately wanted a divorce. Or, if it was more pragmatic, to separate her financial situation from his, as there will no doubt be a civil lawsuit against Chauvin as well.

Either way, it was super quick. I don't know if I could end a ten year marriage that fast.

Believe me, they are not underpaid. They usually pad their salary with overtime pay, shift differential pay. They can "moonlight" at security jobs, while wearing their official uniform.

And since their pension is based on the "High 5", that is why the Florida officer, who was "retired" after the Parkland shooting, is making $8,700 a month in a pension!
Disgraced Parkland school deputy is collecting a six-figure pension

(Note: this is a discussion on the perception that police officers are under paid, not whether or not the salary is sufficient for the job).
@mickey2942 thank you for pointing out that police officers earn far more than than their base pay. OT pay is where they make their money and it's available whenever they are needed. Answer a call during a meal break - OT. Finish paperwork - OT. Event detail - OT. Protests & Riots - all the OT they want.

Most PD offer stellar retirement options. At 20 years, 50% of their highest year and a full benefit package. As a result of committing murder, Derek Chauvin was terminated months shy of 20 years.

Chauvin's arrogance must have been over the top, when he should have tread lightly to meet that mark.

I am not sure if we can discuss Chauvin's soon to be ex-wife. I wonder if she was truly appalled and immediately wanted a divorce. Or, if it was more pragmatic, to separate her financial situation from his, as there will no doubt be a civil lawsuit against Chauvin as well.

Either way, it was super quick. I don't know if I could end a ten year marriage that fast.[/QUOTE

In my opinion, there is no way that Chauvin could have been a decent husband or even human being prior to this. It appears that the man has no conscience. His arrogance in casually killing a man in front of a crowd and cameras screams narcissism to me.

I’m sure that his wife suffered at least mental and emotional abuse prior to this if not physical abuse. Nice guys don’t just decide to beat up and murder a handcuffed man. She may have been holding out hope that someday he would change. I’m sure that all hope was quashed quickly when she saw the video of her husband torturing a man to death.
Great big MOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member