MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been no updates on Chauvin since he was transferred to Oak Park Heights Maximum Prison.

Minnesota Corrections:
Adult Facilities
4 Level Custody Classification System

Minnesota's correctional system has four levels of classification for adults
  • Minimum: Stillwater, Lino Lakes, Faribault, Togo, Willow River, Red Wing (Adults)
  • Medium: Lino Lakes, Moose Lake, Faribault
  • Close: Rush City, St. Cloud, Stillwater
  • Maximum: Oak Park Heights

https://mn.gov/doc/facilities/oak-park-heights/

Interesting. Chauvin is being held at Oak Park, the same prison that former Officer Noor is also incarcerated.

Maybe they are sharing a cell.

They cite this for the reason for the move:

During a press conference Sunday night, Commissioner of Corrections Paul Schnell said that Chauvin has been moved partially due to COVID-19 concerns, especially considering the number of protesters who had already been arrested on Sunday.

And, I remember that it has one of the highest safety records. He must have a target on his back anywhere they place him. I also wonder if he is a suicide risk.

Believe me, they are not underpaid. They usually pad their salary with overtime pay, shift differential pay. They can "moonlight" at security jobs, while wearing their official uniform.

And since their pension is based on the "High 5", that is why the Florida officer, who was "retired" after the Parkland shooting, is making $8,700 a month in a pension!
Disgraced Parkland school deputy is collecting a six-figure pension

(Note: this is a discussion on the perception that police officers are under paid, not whether or not the salary is sufficient for the job).

This is such an unfair practice, IMO. It seems that two of the officers involved in GF's death are still receiving pay as well. (Not pension pay).

Video shows Minneapolis cop with knee on neck of motionless, moaning man who later died

[...] "Two of the officers involved have been "relieved of duty status," Arradondo said. The officers are still receiving pay, but have no law enforcement duties". [...]

Interesting. Chauvin is being held at Oak Park, the same prison that former Officer Noor is also incarcerated.

Maybe they are sharing a cell.

Dear @mickey2942,

They are both in the only designated "maximum" prison in Minnesota.

Perhaps because they are both police officers with such high profile charges/sentences?

Dear @mickey2942,

They are both in the only designated "maximum" prison in Minnesota.

Perhaps because they are both police officers with such high profile charges/sentences?

Yes, Oak Park is the only Level five Maximum Security prison in Minnesota. Very safe, probably because everyone is securely locked up most of the time.

Yes, they are very safe, tucked into their private cells. With blankies, and tv. :mad:

I checked the inmate search for Chauvin at Oak Park Heights.

The message that popped up:

"Please note that it may take several business days for newly sentenced offenders to display on the MNDOC Offender Locator."

Noor's information shows up, so I will check again tomorrow for Chauvin's information.

Noor, Mohamed Mohamed
10/20/1985
Incarcerated
Offender Search Results

The following news video shocked me. I didn't expect to see a group of prisoners in a room with just a few security officers!

This attack at Oak Park Heights Maximum Facility caused serious injuries to the security officer.

There is a video in the following news link:
800VideoKSTP.jpg

Oak Park Heights Prison security video captures serious assault on corrections officer

Last edited:
Dear Jax49,

Thank you for posting this!

In the article, the lawyer is quoted saying the 3 won't be charged until the charge against Chauvin is upgraded. This does make sense to me if it's the case.

"I can tell you the Attorney General, Keith Ellison, knows this has been screwed up," Friedberg said. "The Attorney General has a problem, he's looking at a complaint that doesn't fit."

"So where does the case go from here?"

"Friedberg said the attorney general, who is now in charge of the case, will likely have to amend the complaint and charge Chauvin with first or second-degree murder before anything else happens with the other three officers."

"There's no question that Officer Chauvin should have been charged with second-degree murder," Friedberg said. "

"He could be charged with intentional but not premeditated second-degree murder. He could be charged with unintentional second-degree murder with force, which is called felony murder. Either one of those two crimes you can have accessories to."

WOW that is huge. I did not know the other 3 can't be charged as accessories to third-degree murder.

WOW that is huge. I did not know the other 3 can't be charged as accessories to third-degree murder.

I was hoping that if the 3rd degree was the way they went that all 4 would be charged with 3rd degree. The accessory issue is interesting. I had wondered why DA Freeman was relieved of the case so quickly. He blundered through all of the initial stuff and I didn't like the 3rd degree charge but to make it so the others would be unable to be held accountable--well that is too big a blunder to continue on, IMO.

My own opinion is that the statement from AG Keith Ellison could be interpreted that he may be in the process of upgrading the 3rd degree murder charge , then charging the 3 officers as "accessories" to that charge.

"Attorney General Keith Ellison, who has been appointed to lead the prosecution of any cases arising from the death of George Floyd, said he plans to charge the four officers involved to "the highest degree of accountability that the law and the facts will support."
Minnesota AG says 4 officers will be charged to 'highest degree of accountability'

News article @Jax49 kindly provided (post #111):
Expert details why other officers in George Floyd's death haven't been charged
"Friedberg said the attorney general, who is now in charge of the case, will likely have to amend the complaint and charge Chauvin with first or second-degree murder before anything else happens with the other three officers."

"He could be charged with intentional but not premeditated second-degree murder. He could be charged with unintentional second-degree murder with force, which is called felony murder. Either one of those two crimes you can have accessories to."

Last edited:
Minnesota prosecutor’s charges might lead to an unjustly easy sentence for George Floyd’s killer - The Boston Globe

"One of us (Albert Goins) is a criminal law practitioner with decades of experience in criminal defense and the civil prosecution of police misconduct in Minnesota. The other (Laurence Tribe) is a legal scholar, teacher, and advocate with a half-century of experience in interpreting legal texts and applying constitutional principles to their enforcement. "

"It took several excruciating days before the county’s chief prosecutor, Michael Freeman, finally saw fit to file criminal charges against Chauvin, and then only for second-degree manslaughter, an offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison but usually resulting in a much lighter sentence, as well as something Minnesota calls third-degree murder, a crime punishable by up to 25 years but applicable only where someone unintentionally causes death by “reckless or wanton acts … without special regard to their effect on any particular person”like shooting aimlessly into a crowd."

"No one remotely familiar with Minnesota law would regard either of those charges as the right ones to bring in this case — a case where, even if intent cannot be proven, a second-degree felony murder charge, punishable by 40 years in prison, is manifestly justified. Under a quirk in Minnesota law, second-degree murder can be charged where an assault — such as the first-degree assault evident from Chauvin’s placement of his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes — unintentionally results in death."

Last edited:

Let him get the Virus. That should be the least of his concerns. He wasn't too worried about the virus when he had his leg on George's neck last week. He's lucky that he probably still has backers willing to stand by him. Beyond that, he has a target on his head. I'd wonder if there's a prison Anywhere in the country, where he could become part of the general population.

Perhaps the death penalty is too easy a way out for him. He deserves to spend the rest of his life in isolation, as a pariah.

don't blame her... I think I would too!

Kellie Chauvin, Derek Chauvin's wife, requests to change her last name in divorce filing - CNN

June 2, 2020

(CNN)In her filing for divorce from former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, Kellie Chauvin requested a last-name change and the titles to both of their homes.

Kellie Chauvin separated from her husband on May 28, the day before he was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for the death of George Floyd, according to the filing.
The filing cites an "irretrievable breakdown of the marriage" that was beyond saving. The couple has been married since June 2010, just under 10 years.

Chauvin said in the filing she wants to change her last name, among other requests. She didn't say in the filing which surname she'd take once the divorce was finalized, but the petition notes that she was formerly known as Kellie Thao and Kellie Xiong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare