MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know who DAH was. all I could remember from the past was that the media said a man who worked on a TURKEY farm and who had molested lots of boys was dismissed as the oerp.

I know for 99% that the media said it was a turkey farm. They said he was a laborer.

I was so excited because I thought he was the one. So it was etched in my memory. No name was given in the articles I read years ago.

The name was because of ELOC's search.

So I have no idea why it was reported as a turkey farm.

Maybe to protect the farm from unwanted attention?

Or perhaps he did work at turkey farms.

Thanks Human. I thought sure I read turkey farm in an article last week, but I can't find it now.

Actually it was Jbrown that first discovered Hart's name by looking through archives of the Paynesville Press. If I remember correctly you were sometimes asking about a farm worker from Paynesville, that may have inspired her search.

shergal...thx for the map! 2 things I noticed:

1. St Cloud Ice Arena just north of Old Fingerhut Area. Can't remember is this is where Jacob played hockey?
2. Mossad's map of Tornado Alley....the yellow path on the eastern edge of this map extends very close to the Old Fingerhut Area

Yes, that is where Jacob was practicing for hockey - when his dad was with him and didn't see him for a minute.

Good observation!

This may be digressing to earlier posts in earlier threads but looking at R Bahner, Sr's obit... he worked at 4 places: Franklin Mfr, Ferber Concrete, Quality Landscaping, Midway Iron. I found Ferber + Midway...they are both downtown St Cloud generally in the vicinity of the Old Fingerhut Area. His obit picture shows his ears sticking out noticeably and to me he looks like the sketch of the 'artist'. It seems not much is known about him but with his work history he may have travelled to + fro within the area.

This may be digressing to earlier posts in earlier threads but looking at R Bahner, Sr's obit... he worked at 4 places: Franklin Mfr, Ferber Concrete, Quality Landscaping, Midway Iron. I found Ferber + Midway...they are both downtown St Cloud generally in the vicinity of the Old Fingerhut Area. His obit picture shows his ears sticking out noticeably and to me he looks like the sketch of the 'artist'. It seems not much is known about him but with his work history he may have travelled to + fro within the area.

Franklin is now known as Electrolux. It's on the corner of 33rd Ave. North and 8th Street North. (The same could be said for anyone from this area though, as far as traveling to and fro in the area.) St. Joe is only about 7-8 miles from downtown St. Cloud.

A $50,000 reward that had been established for Jacob's safe return was abrubtly quadrupled to $200,000 in early May, 1990. Sheriff Charlie Grafft explained the reward was being increased had two components. Half the reward for Jacob's safe return, while the other half was for information leading the arrest of a suspect. The reward structure was developed in an attempt to get a woman who had called with credible information earlier to call again. "The caller had specific involving a suspect in Jacob's abduction and it was indicated that the call was being made within a couple of miles of the abduction site," Grafft said. "We want to draw her out. The task force requests that the caller recontact the task force." The caller had indicated that she might be calling back with more information, but she never did.

What was unusual about the timing of Grafft's plea is that the woman's original call had been made six months prior, on November 1, 1989. She had described the possible suspect but more information was required to identify the man. Authorities were unable to positively identify the man after considerable investigation.

Patty Wetterling joined Grafft in a public request to ask the woman to call again regardless of whether or not the man resembled any of the sketches. "Forget the composites," she pleaded. "If anyone has anything about anyone suspicious they should call in. She had an interesting story. Whether it will lead anywhere, I don't know. Eventually someone will tell."

Source: various St. Cloud Times articles, summer 1990

Franklin is now known as Electrolux. It's on the corner of 33rd Ave. North and 8th Street North. (The same could be said for anyone from this area though, as far as traveling to and fro in the area.) St. Joe is only about 7-8 miles from downtown St. Cloud.

Thanks. I don't think I explained my thought process very well. 2 items:

1. Sam Soda....I've read a bunch of the JG case, it's a bit of a rabbit hole. Very interesting that you made a connection in that SS was in St Cloud in 1989. Beyond that I don't know what to think. Your map of Old Fingerhut Area lead me to item #2.
2. RB,Sr and the map(Tornado Alley). Regarding RB,Sr's worklife, I was trying to pinpoint his work locations along highways 23 + 55 and see if they corresponded to this map. I've only connected Paynesville with downtown St Cloud, nothing to the west. His obit lists his residence as Clearwater. However, his brother Robert(deceased June 9, 2012) lived in Paynesville and worked at AMPI for 30 years. Robert's obit states he attended Paynesville schools so I assume RB,Sr lived there at one time. Additionally, RB,Sr's obit picture appears that he has a ruddy complexion(eczema?). Both brothers worked at a mink farm but I do not know where that was,is located.

A $50,000 reward that had been established for Jacob's safe return was abrubtly quadrupled to $200,000 in early May, 1990. Sheriff Charlie Grafft explained the reward was being increased had two components. Half the reward for Jacob's safe return, while the other half was for information leading the arrest of a suspect. The reward structure was developed in an attempt to get a woman who had called with credible information earlier to call again. "The caller had specific involving a suspect in Jacob's abduction and it was indicated that the call was being made within a couple of miles of the abduction site," Grafft said. "We want to draw her out. The task force requests that the caller recontact the task force." The caller had indicated that she might be calling back with more information, but she never did.

What was unusual about the timing of Grafft's plea is that the woman's original call had been made six months prior, on November 1, 1989. She had described the possible suspect but more information was required to identify the man. Authorities were unable to positively identify the man after considerable investigation.

Patty Wetterling joined Grafft in a public request to ask the woman to call again regardless of whether or not the man resembled any of the sketches. "Forget the composites," she pleaded. "If anyone has anything about anyone suspicious they should call in. She had an interesting story. Whether it will lead anywhere, I don't know. Eventually someone will tell."

Oh my goodness! I was not aware of this! I wonder why the lady didn't call again? I wonder what the credible info was that she gave?!?! Damnit it bugs me to no end when someone may know something, and they hide behind anonymity!!

If the call came in on November 1, 1989 - that was what, 9 days after Jacob was taken? This makes me think that maybe he was being held somewhere? Or someone had vanished from the community and she was calling it in to tell them about it??? OMG - Lady!!! Where ARE you?! What secrets might you have held about Jacob's abduction and abductor?!?!

Has DR's mom passed?

If so, did she or any other female member of his family pass within six months to a year after that phone call was made.

Has DR's mom passed?

If so, did she or any other female member of his family pass within six months to a year after that phone call was made.

Nope. Both parents are still alive today.

The one interesting event that occurred between November and May, was the murder of Ambrose "Butch" Wolf in January, 1990. Not suggesting this is related to Jacobs case, but it is interesting from the standpoint that Butch was the son of Betty Wolf and a member of The Deutschmeisters.....and, it was Butch's wife that committed the murder.

Here are 3 snippets from some archived articles online about Butch wolf and his wife:
(no links because these are from a paid subscription to a newspaper archive site. Dates and name of newspaper are listed though.)

1. Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities
January 7, 1990, Page: 05B
Column: Around Minnesota

Two guns used to kill man, autopsy shows
Band leader Ambrose (Butch) Wolf was shot several times by two weapons, an autopsy revealed Saturday, according to Stearns County Coroner Lawrence Theines.
Wolf was shot to death in his home in Cold Spring, Minn., apparently on Thursday night. Authorities were called Friday morning after a family member found the body, Theines said.
It was originally believed that Wolf had been shot only once. A hunting rifle was found at the scene.
Meanwhile, a suspect remained in critical condition in St. Cloud Hospital after an apparent overdose of anti-depressant pills.
Wolf, 47, lead the Butch Wolf Concertina Band, a polka, country and western group that performed around the region.

2. January, 1990 St. Paul Pioneer Press
POLICE HAVE SUSPECT IN COLD SPRING DEATH
Dateline: ST. CLOUD

Authorities have a suspect but have made no arrests in the shooting death of a Cold Spring band leader, Stearns County Sheriff Charlie Grafft said Saturday.
Grafft would not name the suspect.
Ambrose "Butch" Wolf, 47, of Cold Spring, bled to death 5 to 10 minutes after being shot while in bed, said Dr. Lawrence Thienes, Stearns County coroner.
Thienes said that after Wolf was shot he walked downstairs from his second-floor bedroom, through the kitchen and into a bathroom before he died.
Authorities found Wolf's body Friday after receiving a 911 emergency call and obtaining a search warrant to enter the house. Police would not say who made the telephone call.
Wolf's wife, Marcella, 47, also found in the home, was taken to St. Cloud Hospital by ambulance for treatment of what appeared to be an overdose of prescribed anti-depressants, Grafft said. She remained in critical condition Saturday.
Wolf was the leader of a polka, country-and-western and variety band that performed in the Upper Midwest and Canada.
Authorities said one bullet went through headboard of the bed and into a wall after striking Wolf. A high-powered hunting rifle was found in the house, and may have been used in the shooting, authorities said.
Grafft said Saturday that Wolf was shot more than once and that investigators are searching for a second weapon.

3. Star Tribune: November 24, 1990
Section: NEWS
Page: 03B, Column: Around Minnesota

St. Cloud / Band-leader's wife is not guilty
The wife of the late old-time band leader Ambrose Wolf has been found innocent by reason of mental illness in the shooting death of her husband.
Judge Bernard Boland ruled Wednesday that Marcella Wolf, 48, of Cold Spring, Minn., did not understand the nature of her crime when she fatally shot her husband at their home in January.
During her trial, Marcella Wolf, who has been diagnosed a paranoid schizophrenic, testified that she shot her husband because he beat her.
The judge ordered that Wolf be held at the Minnesota State Hospital in St. Peter until a hearing next month to determine how long she should be institutionalized.

Wow. Never ever heard this.

Has DR's mom passed?

If so, did she or any other female member of his family pass within six months to a year after that phone call was made.[/QUOTE

Nope. Both parents are still alive today.

The one interesting event that occurred between November and May, was the murder of Ambrose "Butch" Wolf in January, 1990. Not suggesting this is related to Jacobs case, but it is interesting from the standpoint that Butch was the son of Betty Wolf and a member of The Deutschmeisters.....and, it was Butch's wife that committed the murder.

I was talking with a former co-worker this morning who lived in St. Joe back in 1989, and I mentioned this Wolf situation and asked if he had ever heard about it. He said it was quite a shock at the time, because many people knew him from his band. My friend remembered RUMORS at the time that Wolf's wife had made accusations that her husband might have either been involved in Jacob's disappearance or have covered for someone who was involved, and some people thought that was why she killed him. But my friend said, once it came out that she was mentally ill, the rumors died down and everyone figured she had just imagined it all.

Please note: This is just local rumor and not fact.

I was talking with a former co-worker this morning who lived in St. Joe back in 1989, and I mentioned this Wolf situation and asked if he had ever heard about it. He said it was quite a shock at the time, because many people knew him from his band. My friend remembered RUMORS at the time that Wolf's wife had made accusations that her husband might have either been involved in Jacob's disappearance or have covered for someone who was involved, and some people thought that was why she killed him. But my friend said, once it came out that she was mentally ill, the rumors died down and everyone figured she had just imagined it all.

Please note: This is just local rumor and not fact.

I just wanted to point out something here that is kind of interesting, but may just be an unusual coincidence. The parents of both Dan Rassier and Wolf were gone to Germany at the time of Jacob's abduction.

I just wanted to point out something here that is kind of intering, but may just be an unusual coincidence. The parents of both Dan Rassier and Wolf were gone to Germany at the time of Jacob's abduction.

Thanks. I was just wondering where Wolf's parents were at the time of the abduction and whether he lived with them.....

Thanks. I was just wondering where Wolf's parents were at the time of the abduction and whether he lived with them.....

Wolf lived with his wife who shot him. I don't think they would have lived with Wolf's parents, maybe near them.

They did say the woman who called in a tip and never called back lived close to the scene, I think it was within 2 miles if I recall correctly. So it could have been her, or anyone else from St. Joe who called in a tip.

I just wanted to point out something here that is kind of interesting, but may just be an unusual coincidence. The parents of both Dan Rassier and Wolf were gone to Germany at the time of Jacob's abduction.

That is pretty interesting, even though it may be coincidental. I don't find alot of information about Ambrose, and even less about Marlys, except that she currently resides in Willmar (at the institution perhaps?). Looking further into this. Very curious.

ELOC, I think you can scan a bit of the article where it talks about the $200,000 reward

That is pretty interesting, even though it may be coincidental. I don't find alot of information about Ambrose, and even less about Marlys, except that she currently resides in Willmar (at the institution perhaps?). Looking further into this. Very curious.

There is a Marcella Wolf in Cold Spring, MN and another in some other town in MN. Not sure if Wolf's wife would be out now though or still institutionalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa