MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so tragic and no, does not make sense. Looking forward to getting more details. RIP Justine.

this whole thing is very odd.

The Mayor Recognized Noor’s Arrival on the Force, Where He Was the First Somali Officer in His Precinct

Mayor Betsy Hodges has been very vocal in expressing concern about the Damond shooting.

In 2016, though, she wrote a length Facebook post that praised the hiring of Noor.

“I want to take a moment to recognize Officer Mohamed Noor, the newest Somali officer in the Minneapolis Police Department,” she wrote.

“Officer Noor has been assigned to the 5th Precinct, where his arrival has been highly celebrated, particularly by the Somali community in and around Karmel Mall. The community even hosted a meet and greet event (see pics) to welcome him. A wonderful sign of building trust and community policing at work. Welcome Officer Noor and all of the new officers in their new precinct assignments across the City.”

Noor Has Degrees In Business & Economics

http://www.startribune.com/woman-ki...ed-shooting-in-south-minneapolis/434782213/#1

The woman called 911 to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home.

'Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.'

The body cams weren't on and there is no recording of the incident.

What the heck happened here????

Isn't there a rule about not shooting while in a vehicle? I thought that came up after Terrence Sterling was shot.

I have no idea what the police story even is. As far as I can tell, this woman was standing there in her pajamas and she wasn't armed.
Police hasn't released a reason as to why they shot and killed her.

They're brainstorming for what might possibly be an acceptable excuse. When they arrive at it they'll let us know. Maybe she reached to her waist because her pajamas were slipping.

None of this makes any sense at all.

That poor family. :(

Ill wait till we even know the story. With the information we have right now no one should be taking any sides.

Not wearing body cameras signals bad intentions. Can't think of any other excuse to avoid them.

Especially because they weren't just driving around. They were in a specific place for a specific reason.

I lived in the Twin Cities for nearly 6 decades. This makes zero sense. Tragic.

Why weren't the body cams on? There seems to be a problem with officers using them.

The Mpls police chief seems to be an effective leader ~ I want to know the the H happened. The officer in the passenger seat shot her through the driver's window??

At the very least isn't that putting the other officer's life at risk? He could have missed, the driver could have moved, it was dark. If he'd had time to communicate something like "Lean back while I shoot her" they would have had time to just hit the gas and get away.

None of it makes sense.

Ill wait till we even know the story. With the information we have right now no one should be taking any sides.

Imo - one of the main reasons this continues to happen. Slightly indifferent, much acceptance of what happened according to LE.

It's really bizarre. There's nothing about her that even fits any kind of 'profile' that would get an officer on edge, (rightly or wrongly). She was a slim, attractive, white, blonde, woman without any apparent mental illness, was by all accounts happy, isn't homeless, etc etc. The kind of person who would probably feel would never, ever be the target of a police shooting. The kind of person who anyone would think would be safe from a police shooting.

The police just HAVE to give their side of the story here. Is there more to the story??? Who IS safe from a police shooting? Anyone?

(please note I'M not saying slim white blonde women >>>>>> everyone else, just that from a police perspective, if you're on edge about being shot and think you'll shoot first, if you're going to profile - and we know that profiling happens, and it's often/usually based on gender/race/size etc ... just being realistic here, NOT saying I endorse it)

With all due respect, my interpretation of what you are implying (and all the necessary apologies) is, this should not happen to a white women.

It does happen - often. Too often and it should not happen to anyone. Another observation is - the cop that shoots usually has a max of 5 years on any force. It looks like the training to me along with the type of personality attracted to the job these days. Training as in - shoot first. Jmo.

A few years ago we had an incident with a family member acting out with someone next door to us. Those people called the cops who descended on us with three patrol cars. Two of the biggest guys I ever saw came to our door and wanted to come in to talk to my family member.

There was a time when I would have let them in without thinking. This time I said no. If they felt it necessary they could get a warrant. Otherwise I'd be glad to discuss with them what happened on the porch. We did, they were satisfied and left after cautioning us to deal with the matter. They seemed very taken back, I found myself thinking they could kill the family member or one of our pets. It's sad, it has come to this, I just do not have the trust in them I once had. Too much militarization, inadequate training whatever. I hate it. and I do not know the answer or where this goes.

Glad you denied entrance by LE and are here today to discuss it.

Isn't there a rule about not shooting while in a vehicle? I thought that came up after Terrence Sterling was shot.

A rule? Where? No two states seems to have the same rules and or laws - which is why other countries are not embarrassed to say these days 'the Ununited States'.

Without unity the US is a long way down a poor path. Jmo.

Whatever the outcome in this particular case, it is clear that more and better training of police officers is needed. We should not be living in a civilization today where many average citizens are becoming afraid to call the police. This is particularly true if a family member has a mental illness. Police work is very dangerous and there are so many wonderful officers out there. Nonetheless something is going drastically wrong. IMO.

Imo - one of the main reasons this continues to happen. Slightly indifferent, much acceptance of what happened according to LE.

Right, before the information finally drips out most people have moved on to the next thing. Controlling the flow of information is an effective way of controlling the reaction.

A few years ago we had an incident with a family member acting out with someone next door to us. Those people called the cops who descended on us with three patrol cars. Two of the biggest guys I ever saw came to our door and wanted to come in to talk to my family member.

There was a time when I would have let them in without thinking. This time I said no. If they felt it necessary they could get a warrant. Otherwise I'd be glad to discuss with them what happened on the porch. We did, they were satisfied and left after cautioning us to deal with the matter. They seemed very taken back, I found myself thinking they could kill the family member or one of our pets. It's sad, it has come to this, I just do not have the trust in them I once had. Too much militarization, inadequate training whatever. I hate it. and I do not know the answer or where this goes.

What I recently learned - if a cop knocks on your door (for whatever reason, even if they claim to have a warrant) do not open the door. If they don't go away, call 911 and ask if an officer is supposed to be at your door. The 911 operator should call the officer and you will hear him or her get the call. If 911 says no cop should be there and/or the officer doesn't get a call from 911 keep the door closed and tell 911 to send an officer.

It sounds crazy, I know, but it's an effective way to keep yourself safe.

A rule? Where? No two states seems to have the same rules and or laws - which is why other countries are not embarrassed to say these days 'the Ununited States'.

Without unity the US is a long way down a poor path. Jmo.

I think the rule is about shooting into a car (which happens often enough despite the rule), not firing a weapon from inside their own car. Or maybe not. It's like you said - no one has the same rules or laws.

While I agree this tragic and occurs way too often in the United States, let's not start US bashing..I have a feeling that would lead to nothing but bad things. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike