MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree this tragic and occurs way too often in the United States, let's not start US bashing..I have a feeling that would lead to nothing but bad things. moo

I don't see how you can separate the USA from the incidents of American police officers killing citizens, and especially in this case because the victim was Australian.

this whole thing is very odd.

The Mayor Recognized Noor’s Arrival on the Force, Where He Was the First Somali Officer in His Precinct

Mayor Betsy Hodges has been very vocal in expressing concern about the Damond shooting.

In 2016, though, she wrote a length Facebook post that praised the hiring of Noor.

“I want to take a moment to recognize Officer Mohamed Noor, the newest Somali officer in the Minneapolis Police Department,” she wrote.

“Officer Noor has been assigned to the 5th Precinct, where his arrival has been highly celebrated, particularly by the Somali community in and around Karmel Mall. The community even hosted a meet and greet event (see pics) to welcome him. A wonderful sign of building trust and community policing at work. Welcome Officer Noor and all of the new officers in their new precinct assignments across the City.”

Noor Has Degrees In Business & Economics

Whart is odd about it?

An update on the officer involved: http://kstp.com/news/mohamed-noor-o...ond-fatal-minneapolis-shooting/4544324/?cat=1

Multiple sources have confirmed to KSTP Monday morning that the identity of the Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed a woman Saturday in southwest Minneapolis is Mohamed Noor.
Noor joined the department in March 2015 and is currently assigned to the 5th Precinct in the southwest part of the city. ...

He has a business degree from Augsburg College, which is a respected school.

Hoo boy. Curious as to how the national press will cover this now. Hopefully with consistent outrage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Imo - one of the main reasons this continues to happen. Slightly indifferent, much acceptance of what happened according to LE.

Sorry those of us waiting to educate ourselves on each and every incident causes cop to shot. :shame: I'm not accepting anything that anyone says because we literally have NOTHING but this woman was shot by cops. Far to many people jump to conclusions based off past cases. I will continue to wait till I hear both sides of the story because that is how one should form an opinion.

Edit to add: I'm not here to argue, just stating an opinion.Yep, and the officer was from Somalia. I just think it's possible that people in the military, have family in the military, people who are very patriotic, etc. may take strong offense to generalize comments about the US. We are the home of the brave even with all our problems (and we have MANY). Moo
I don't see how you can separate the USA from the incidents of American police officers killing citizens, and especially in this case because the victim was Australian.

Whart is odd about it?

What isn't odd about it? This officer shot an unarmed middle aged woman wearing pjs, multiple times, while she was standing and talking to his partner. Odd by any measure.

Know mattter what happened this is a complete tragedy. There are so many people that will be effected by this. It's time for change - it's really time for change!

There's so much violence & hate within the world today - it's sickening. Why can't we all respect one another and agree to disagree? Why is it so difficult to co-exist? It really shouldn't be so d@mn difficult.
***sorry rant over***:blushing:

While I agree this tragic and occurs way too often in the United States, let's not start US bashing..I have a feeling that would lead to nothing but bad things. moo

Who is bashing the US? Is there a post I missed?

I'll back out of this discussion. I think my posts are being misunderstood, and I don't want to cause problems..I do think this is tragic.
Who is bashing the US? Is there a post I missed?

Edit to add: I'm not here to argue, just stating an opinion.Yep, and the officer was from Somalia. I just think it's possible that people in the military, have family in the military, people who are very patriotic, etc. may take strong offense to generalize comments about the US. We are the home of the brave even with all our problems (and we have MANY). Moo

I'm an Army veteran. Freedom of speech is one of the things we sign up to defend.

Whart is odd about it?

There are slight differences between various police shootings, but after all these years and murders none of them strike me as odd.

Justice is the only thing that's ever odd.

The laws and rules of states and municipalities are often different, although usually not drastically. Plus each police department has its own policies. There is nothing wrong with that, and in many ways is preferable to "one size fits all" rules.

I agree that this shooting seems very unnecessary and it is odd for one officer to shoot out the other officer's window. But, as in all cases of police shootings, there is often a rush to judgment. We should be learning more soon. As for the body cameras, they work in different ways. But my understanding is that they are not "always on". But are usually activated when the officer exits the car etc. If the woman approached from the side, obviously the dash camera wouldn't have caught anything. But obviously the Minneapolis Police will have to be doing a LOT of review and training perhaps. They had the Philando Castile shooting previously, which personally I found to be completely unjustified. And recently the shooting of the two dogs in the backyard of a home. Plus, if the report is true about the identity of the officer that did the shooting in this case, there will be the added politics of him being the first Somali officer.

Like many WS people, I came to this thread to get a sense of what exactly happened. I can only add that maybe body cams aren't turned on unless a peace officer exits the car.

But maybe the dash cam was on, even if it is just audio. So that dash cam, hopefully, will be released immediately. If there wasn't a dash cam, the mayor/police chief needs to say so immediately.

So far the cops won't even say what was recorded.

http://kstp.com/news/mohamed-noor-o...e-diamond-fatal-minneapolis-shooting/4544324/

The laws and rules of states and municipalities are often different, although usually not drastically. Plus each police department has its own policies. There is nothing wrong with that, and in many ways is preferable to "one size fits all" rules.

I agree that this shooting seems very unnecessary and it is odd for one officer to shoot out the other officer's window. But, as in all cases of police shootings, there is often a rush to judgment. We should be learning more soon. As for the body cameras, they work in different ways. But my understanding is that they are not "always on". But are usually activated when the officer exits the car etc. If the woman approached from the side, obviously the dash camera wouldn't have caught anything. But obviously the Minneapolis Police will have to be doing a LOT of review and training perhaps. They had the Philando Castile shooting previously, which personally I found to be completely unjustified. And recently the shooting of the two dogs in the backyard of a home. Plus, if the report is true about the identity of the officer that did the shooting in this case, there will be the added politics of him being the first Somali officer.

With all due respect, there is something very wrong when LE has rules in one location and not another. Not a united country imo.

We'll learn more soon? Does that mean we will learn all we need to know? Or just that we will learn what LE wishes to release? There can be a difference - but you must know that given your capacity.

As for the cameras activating when an officer exits a car - is that automatic or does the officer need to activate the camera?

Suspect PTSD on the part of the officer - jmo. If that turns out to be the case, how was he screened and accepted?

Let's not bash the police quite yet. I'm guessing it was an accidental discharge. People are jumping down the throats of the cops assuming the worst. I don't think in this day and age, the police want to make any statements unless they are absolutely positive they know what happened and have a handle on things. Let's give them the day to get their act together.

What isn't odd about it? This officer shot an unarmed middle aged woman wearing pjs, multiple times, while she was standing and talking to his partner. Odd by any measure.

What you posted was about a Somalia man who graduated from college and was honored by the Mayor. Your quote that you chose to post from the article was that part.

Then you said, "Odd". Hard to extrapolate from your quote that is wasn't all about the officer.

What you posted was about a Somalia man who graduated from college and was honored by the Mayor. Your quote that you chose to post from the article was that part.

Then you said, "Odd". Hard to extrapolate from your quote that is wasn't all about the officer.

First, I said it was odd, referring to the bizarre situation in general.

Then I posted the portion of the article which described the officer, being celebrated for being the first Somali officer, brought on as a way to incorporate community policing.

So that is also odd, that he would shoot an unarmed woman multiple times, from inside the patrol car.

Whatever else you are insinuating, I don't know...

Let's not bash the police quite yet. I'm guessing it was an accidental discharge. People are jumping down the throats of the cops assuming the worst. I don't think in this day and age, the police want to make any statements unless they are absolutely positive they know what happened and have a handle on things. Let's give them the day to get their act together.

I agree about giving them a day to figure things out.

But hard to believe it was accidental discharge because it is reported that she was shot multiple times. [ we will see if those reports are accurate]

Hard to imagine why he even had his gun out of the holster, at that point in time though...

What the hell? Can't wait to hear the reason/excuse for this.

Actually, my patience with these shootings is gone, done, used up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1