MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not bash the police quite yet. I'm guessing it was an accidental discharge. People are jumping down the throats of the cops assuming the worst. I don't think in this day and age, the police want to make any statements unless they are absolutely positive they know what happened and have a handle on things. Let's give them the day to get their act together.

An accidental discharge would make sense.........................except......................why did he have his gun drawn in the first place and obviously pointed at her? And his partner in the line of fire, no less. Hopefully, as someone else pointed out, there is an audio recording even if there isn't video.

Let's not bash the police quite yet. I'm guessing it was an accidental discharge. People are jumping down the throats of the cops assuming the worst. I don't think in this day and age, the police want to make any statements unless they are absolutely positive they know what happened and have a handle on things. Let's give them the day to get their act together.

It happened Saturday night. They've had almost two days now. I'm afraid getting their act together simply means getting their stories straight and they'll come out with some of the same lines we've all heard before.

Accidental discharge? Was the gun in the holster or pointed at woman in her pj's?

Looking forward to LE getting their act together on this.

With all due respect, there is something very wrong when LE has rules in one location and not another. Not a united country imo.

We'll learn more soon? Does that mean we will learn all we need to know? Or just that we will learn what LE wishes to release? There can be a difference - but you must know that given your capacity.

As for the cameras activating when an officer exits a car - is that automatic or does the officer need to activate the camera?

Suspect PTSD on the part of the officer - jmo. If that turns out to be the case, how was he screened and accepted?

Yeah, I was wondering about ptsd too, given that the officer was from the most brutal he11holes on the planet. And maybe he had incredible pressures to be perfect as his new safe American life depended upon it.

First, I said it was odd, referring to the bizarre situation in general.

Then I posted the portion of the article which described the officer, being celebrated for being the first Somali officer, brought on as a way to incorporate community policing.

So that is also odd, that he would shoot an unarmed woman multiple times, from inside the patrol car.

Whatever else you are insinuating, I don't know...

Insinuating? It is your post that was curious. Focusing on the officer and stating it was odd. Hard to get things across in a written form sometimes. I don't like to take a long time explaining things either because people do not read long posts.

I agree about giving them a day to figure things out.

But hard to believe it was accidental discharge because it is reported that she was shot multiple times. [ we will see if those reports are accurate]

Hard to imagine why he even had his gun out of the holster, at that point in time though...

Wow---I haven't seen anything about her being shot multiple times. You're right---that's not an accidental discharge. What the heck?

Curious as hell about what the driver, Matthew Harrity, will report happened.

Is there a report specifically stating shot multiple times katydid23? Or is that an opinion? Not sure.

One article states "The officer in the passenger seat then shot Damond through the driver’s side door, the three people told the newspaper." Do they mean window or through the actual door (metal, plastic and glass). Again, accidents happen and through the door would point more towards an accident as I don't imagine that is where you would aim a gun if you were trying to shoot someone.

Is it unusual to go to a police car window to talk to them in the US?

It happened Saturday night. They've had almost two days now. I'm afraid getting their act together simply means getting their stories straight and they'll come out with some of the same lines we've all heard before.

They better think hard. I can't for the life of me come up with any kind of explanation. Accident doesn't work---having the gun pointed at her in the first place was no accident.

An accidental discharge would make sense.........................except......................why did he have his gun drawn in the first place and obviously pointed at her? And his partner in the line of fire, no less. Hopefully, as someone else pointed out, there is an audio recording even if there isn't video.

Thanks for this Rocco. Was going to type this exact same thing.

I hope they did alcohol and drug testing on the officers. I'm hoping these people are subject to psychological testing too, before being hired.

From the same article:

Noor has two open complaints against him from 2017 and one from 2016.

http://www.kare11.com/news/mpls-police-officer-who-shot-killed-woman-identified/457339023

Maybe there's a language or cultural barrier involved here. Somalia, is a country with an extremely violent history. Same situation for neighboring countries. Legendary problems with police and military violence against citizens. Those things can be difficult for an immigrant to overcome when they've been raised in that violent, chaotic culture.

https://www.hrw.org/report/2010/06/17/welcome-kenya/police-abuse-somali-refugees

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/136346150003700306

It looks like there has been violence against Somali's in the past by Minneapolis policemen. In this case from 2015, it was believed to have partly been the language barrier:

[video=dailymotion;x2r53gc]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r53gc[/video]

Is it unusual to go to a police car window to talk to them in the US?

I wouldn't think so, especially if you were the one who called them you might want to say "He's over there" or something.

You're in Australia, right? I was going to ask if you found it unusual.

eta: The last time I called the police (about a sick raccoon) I waited on my porch until they got out of their car.

FWIW - Minneapolis has the largest Somali population in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph