MN MN - LeeAnna Warner, 5, Chisholm, 14 June 2003

wondering22 said:
I'm bumping this thread, it will soon be the 3 year anniversary of the dreadful day this sweet angel apparently vanished into thin air. Three years. How sad.

I was just looking at the pictures of this little girl on the Missing Children website and the first picture of her really bothers me. She has on a blue top or dress and her hair is short. It's her eyes that bother me. They look so sad and empty. Like something is not right in her little life. The other picture of her when she must have been maybe a year younger is totally different. He eyes are smiling and she looks really happy. Has anyone else noticed that picture?

So, a 5 year old was allowed to walk from her home to someone else's home, a block away (is that what 'round the block' means?) by herself??
I find it incredulous that people let their kids roam the streets by themselves.
It reminds me of the three Beaumont children who went to the beach by themselves and were never heard of again.

narlacat said:
So, a 5 year old was allowed to walk from her home to someone else's home, a block away (is that what 'round the block' means?) by herself??
I find it incredulous that people let their kids roam the streets by themselves.
It reminds me of the three Beaumont children who went to the beach by themselves and were never heard of again.

Hi, the way I remember it, is that the family spent several hours at the beach, and when they came home, Leeanna wanted to see her friend who she played with everyday. Her friend lived a few houses away, just around the corner --- so, no, not a block away, but just a few houses away.

If we could transport you from Australia to the many tiny rural towns of an economically depressed northern Minnesota... where in some respects, it seems that time has stood still for many decades... then you might understand why many small children are permitted to travel such distances by themselves.

Even in larger American cities, I've seen four, five, and six year olds permitted to visit houses of friends "down the block" unaccompanied by any adult.

However, there are also plenty of Americans who'd never permit that until the child was at least 8 years of age.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the public at large really has any idea how potentially downright dangerous it is out there for youngsters.

Bobbisangel said:
I was just looking at the pictures of this little girl on the Missing Children website and the first picture of her really bothers me. She has on a blue top or dress and her hair is short. It's her eyes that bother me. They look so sad and empty. Like something is not right in her little life. The other picture of her when she must have been maybe a year younger is totally different. He eyes are smiling and she looks really happy. Has anyone else noticed that picture?

I am certain that the photograph you're referring to is from video footage of Leeanna and in the actual video itself, Beaner doesn't appear to be either sad, empty or depressed. She's a little sweetie, and I hope you have a chance to see it sometime.

It would be a miracle if the family could put some closure on this case.

Her tiny little smiling face was on the news here for a long time, to no avail. It is very sad for the community. She vanished without a trace.....

wondering22 said:
Hi, the way I remember it, is that the family spent several hours at the beach, and when they came home, Leeanna wanted to see her friend who she played with everyday. Her friend lived a few houses away, just around the corner --- so, no, not a block away, but just a few houses away.

If we could transport you from Australia to the many tiny rural towns of an economically depressed northern Minnesota... where in some respects, it seems that time has stood still for many decades... then you might understand why many small children are permitted to travel such distances by themselves.

Even in larger American cities, I've seen four, five, and six year olds permitted to visit houses of friends "down the block" unaccompanied by any adult.

However, there are also plenty of Americans who'd never permit that until the child was at least 8 years of age.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the public at large really has any idea how potentially downright dangerous it is out there for youngsters.
Hi wondering
I was going to ask how big the town would have been in Minnesota....I thought it might have been a small rural town, without googling...
I just don't understand some parents.
Where I live in Australia, we have attempted abductions happen more and more often lately...and it never ceases to amaze me when I see little kiddies walking or riding their bikes by themselves. It's like their parents just don't care or don't watch the news, one or the other....

It must be absolutely heartbreaking for the parents of missing children and my prayers are with these families, LeeAnna's included.

narlacat said:
I just don't understand... It's like [they] just don't care or don't watch the news, one or the other....

Hi, narlacat...

I think it's much more pervasive than just the situation with parents not knowing where their kids every single minute 24/7.

It seems that we humans are hardwired with some strange psychological trait which translated into action equals something along the lines of, "Oh, don't be silly, that can never happen to ME, to US..."

I found it utterly confounding that so many people stayed in New Orleans during Katrina, and I became enraged when I realized how many people were in attics, WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER and none of the attics had an axe.

When I started ranting and raving that City Code for NOLA should have insisted by strict law that EVERY single attic be equipped with an axe and a minimum week's supply of water --- well, my mate simply hushed me up and repeated again & again & again, "NOBODY believes it will happen to 'them,' absolutely NOBODY."

Until one month ago, I knew absolutely nobody who is prepared to shelter in place for a couple weeks incase of natural disaster or terror attack or avian influenza. NOONE else, and now I know of ONE other family.

And that's it.

WHY?

Well, WHY prepare - that's "paranoid," right, that's "overreacting," we all know that something like THAT can't happen here, .... right?

Anyway, when I do happen to see unaccompanied youngsters, I stick around unobtrusively until I see a parent re-unite with the youngster ---- happens really frequently, particularly in grocery stores.

And will continue to happen ALL of the time, cuz most people have a basically trusting naive outlook upon life in general.

WasBlind said:
Leanna's parents have been cleared. You would know that, had you taken time to read the whole story instead of just posting without any regard for their feelings.

Please post as if the family was going to read it every time, and then you will have nothing to worry about. Consider people's feelings, and bind your tongue (fingertips), please.

To Leanna's parents, I am truly sorry if you are hurt by any comments on this forum. May God bless you and keep you until Beaner is home.
Much love to you, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

I've seen the parents on local TV many times, and they are totally convincing, a sweet young couple who are utterly unpretentious and have always seemed totally forthcoming.

At the time that Shasta Groene was finally located, Leeanna's parents were frequently on TV in the USA, because everyone wondered if her abductor was responsible for the disappearance of Beaner.

I personally remain very suspicious of Joseph Duncan who wrote in his online blog that he was afraid that he'd be accused of her disappearance.

I know that LEOs have examined JED's alibi and decided he couldn't be implicated..... but that man simply gives me the creeps, and I will always wonder about him... I'd like to know more about exactly how his alibi checked out, and if the individuals vouching for his location can actually be trusted.....

I'm very suspicious.

Hi wondering

<<Anyway, when I do happen to see unaccompanied youngsters, I stick around unobtrusively until I see a parent re-unite with the youngster ---- happens really frequently, particularly in grocery stores>>

I do too lol.
I watch the kids wander all through the store by themselves....and wait until I see them re unite with their parents before taking my eye off them.
I can't help it, I can't bring myself to walk away until I know they are with an adult and are safe.

<<cuz most people have a basically trusting naive outlook upon life in general.>>

I think you might be right, there's really no other explaination.
We think it can't happen to us.

I, too, am from MN. The Iron Range cities are a different breed - pretty much retroactive to the 1950's, when kids could freely roam around. If you understood the area at the time, I don't think you would blame the parents so much.

All of MN is not the same. In the TC kids definitely should not walk a block unsupervised, but northern MN (until this incident) had always been considered a safe place to live and raise a family. And, I'm guessing that before L disappeared, every family allowed their kids outside unsupervised.

It is sad that the world is like this now. No matter how small or rural a town is, it doesn't mean it is safe. People should NEVER feel like anywhere is safe. The monsters out there have proven it time and time again. It isn't fair, but that is the way it is now. You really can't trust anybody. Very said IMO

Trino said:
I, too, am from MN. The Iron Range cities are a different breed - pretty much retroactive to the 1950's, when kids could freely roam around. If you understood the area at the time, I don't think you would blame the parents so much.

All of MN is not the same. In the TC kids definitely should not walk a block unsupervised, but northern MN (until this incident) had always been considered a safe place to live and raise a family. And, I'm guessing that before L disappeared, every family allowed their kids outside unsupervised.
I am from the area too........your so right Mn is not the same.
Jacob Wetterling & Little Leanna.

I sincerely hope parents really start to keep a better eye on the little ones. To many sickos out there.

cheko1 said:
I am from the area too........your so right Mn is not the same.
Jacob Wetterling & Little Leanna.

I sincerely hope parents really start to keep a better eye on the little ones. To many sickos out there.

Joseph Edward Duncan, the monster who abducted Shasta Groene and murdered her family, he spent quite abit of time in Minnesota, so I hope the local media is impressing the danger of crimes against their children to midwestern parents.

She is such a little sweetie, it's so tragic.

Bumping for Beaner on the eve of the anniversary of her disappearance.

cheko1 said:
I am from the area too........To many sickos out there.

I'm only posting this because you're from MN. Please understand that I'm not a person to cry wolf.

At about 8:50 a.m. today I was in the REI parking lot (Bloomington, MN). I assumed it opened at 9:00. There was one other car in the lot, and I stupidly parked nearly next to it. I got out and was going to wait at the store door, but midway across the drive I noticed the hours as 10:00 a.m., so I headed back to my car.

As I neared the other car with a male occupant, he got out and quickly approached me, trying to get me to stop. I broke into a run and was able to get in my car and lock it. Honestly, he was at the side of my car when I slammed the door. This guy was definitely not the REI type.

If you're not familiar with REI, the front of the store is made to look like a hiking area - lots of trees, water, etc. The front door cannot be seen from the lot. Additionally, the lot is surrounded by trees, separating it from nearby roads. Sure. It looks nice, but maybe nice isn't the same as safe.

I was so shaken that I called the Bloomington Police.

http://kstp.com/
06/13/06
The Chisholm Police Department and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) have released an age-enhanced image of Leanna Warner, the 5-year-old Chisholm girl who was reported missing on June 14, 2003.

"Though three years have passed since Leanna was reported missing, this is still an important, active investigation for us," said Chisholm Police Chief Scott Erickson. "This image will help us show the public what we expect Leanna to look like as an 8-year-old girl."

Leanna, now age 8, was 5 at the time she was reported missing. She was last seen walking to a friend’s house in Chisholm, wearing a denim dress with a belt. She has brown hair and brown eyes, 3 feet, 2 inches tall, weighing about 48 pounds. She has a mole on her left leg, just above her ankle, and she goes by the nickname "Beaner."

The BCA arranged for the enhanced image in cooperation with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. More than 600 children nationwide have been found as a result of age-enhanced photos.

"

I don't know if anyone was watch Catherine Crier today but they had a segment on about Leanna, they are speculating that possibly Joseph Duncan had something to do with her disappearance. At least that is how it appeared to me, I was half listening. Did anyone else catch this?

Oh, there is no updated picture in the post from Blueclouds ;{

Scandi

MrsMush99 said:
I don't know if anyone was watch Catherine Crier today but they had a segment on about Leanna, they are speculating that possibly Joseph Duncan had something to do with her disappearance. At least that is how it appeared to me, I was half listening. Did anyone else catch this?
Duncan was investigated and ruled out as a suspect, I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back