MN - Morgan Evenson, 27, survives brutal knife attack, Minneapolis, 13 Dec 2017

You know, I'm sure, that police departments don't have press conferences for every murder that happens within their jurisdiction, especially in cities as large as this one. I dare say police-led press conferences about murders they're investigating are the exception, not the norm.

I disagree. This was a HIGHLY unusual, very violent, brazenly perpetrated attack, in a safe neighborhood, with the attacker on the loose on foot. Absolutely nothing the victim was doing would have predicted this attack, or even made it more likely to have happened. No where in the entire state is this a typical crime. That's why it is so astonishing and appalling that it was handled so incompetently.

The police exposed numerous people, including children, to a violent attacker on the loose on foot, armed with at least one deadly weapon, and didn't take any basic steps to ensure public safety. That's a HUGE big deal, whether the attacker is "Somali" or not.

But I'm truly incredulous that anyone could believe that the reported description of the attacker played "no part" in how this has unfolded by police and the media, IMO. That's denial of the obvious. Bordering on delusional.

Minneapolis has in excess of 50,000 Somalis. They *are* distinctive in dress, appearance, and behavior. Morgan had no reason to unfairly or fraudently report her attacker's characteristics. In her interviews, she does not at all come across as someone with an "agenda" to unfairly identify her attacker.

To the contrary, she comes across as completely unprejudiced and unbiased. She described him. Period. And that description, IMO, became the basis for suppressing, avoiding, and minimizing everything about this violent crime.

If the attacker had been described as a white guy with a tattoo on his forehead, or an asian missing an eye, etc, it would have been wall to wall coverage, and he'd likely have been caught promptly. The attacker, IMO, was shielded from media coverage, and police response and notifications to the public and media, precisely BECAUSE he was reported as "Somali." That can't happen in America.

I disagree. This was a HIGHLY unusual, very violent, brazenly perpetrated attack, in a safe neighborhood, with the attacker on the loose on foot. Absolutely nothing the victim was doing would have predicted this attack, or even made it more likely to have happened. No where in the entire state is this a typical crime. That's why it is so astonishing and appalling that it was handled so incompetently.

The police exposed numerous people, including children, to a violent attacker on the loose on foot, armed with at least one deadly weapon, and didn't take any basic steps to ensure public safety. That's a HUGE big deal, whether the attacker is "Somali" or not.

But I'm truly incredulous that anyone could believe that the reported description of the attacker played "no part" in how this has unfolded by police and the media, IMO. That's denial of the obvious.

Eye witness accounts are notoriously unreliable. I learned that in the Vegas threads /s

I encourage you to call and write to the newspapers and media outlets you're talking about and reiterating the points you mention here, and letting them know their readers like you want to know more about it, and that this story is important to you, and why. Direct concerns to the city/news editors.

Maybe media realize it isn't a lone wolf terrorist attack. It's indeed a brutal crime, but maybe media outlets reported everything they know and/or have access to. Maybe they have a follow-up planed. Readers won't know until it's published.

But I'm truly incredulous that anyone could believe that the reported description of the attacker played "no part" in how this has unfolded by police and the media, IMO. That's denial of the obvious.

I encourage you to call and write to the newspapers and media outlets you're talking about and reiterating the points you mention here, and letting them know their readers like you want to know more about it, and that this story is important to you, and why. Direct concerns to the city/news editors.

Maybe media realize it isn't a lone wolf terrorist attack. It's indeed a brutal crime, but maybe media outlets reported everything they know and/or have access to. Maybe they have a follow-up planed. Readers won't know until it's published.

I have. Weeks ago. Including elected representatives.

Eye witness accounts are notoriously unreliable. I learned that in the Vegas threads /s

So police should just assume every description of every attacker is "unreliable", and do nothing?

Next I expect someone will justify the incompetent response because, well, maybe the attacker wasn't even male? Maybe the attacker wasn't even black? The witnesses are just "too unreliable" to be believed? Maybe it was really a space alien who attacked her?

Heck, let's go with further blaming the victim for her description, and accuse her of stabbing herself for attention, right? Because all those eyewitnesses may not have actually seen a real human being attacking her, and running off down the street?

Maybe his coat wasn't really "army" green? Isn't that somehow prejudicial to the Army? Maybe it was more of a "forest green with teal accents"? Maybe it wasn't really a coat, but a parka? Maybe his gray pants were more like skinny leggings?

GMAB. This is beyond ridiculous. She gave a competent description, right away. She had a lot of very close up views of her attacker while he got out of the car, followed her, and then she was being stabbed 14 times. He spoke to her. We don't know what he said. She never lost consciousness. She had no reason to vilify a specific ethnic group. This isn't "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts

Eyewitness testimony is fickle and, all too often, shockingly inaccurate

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

ETA: from the link:

Error-Prone IDs

A number of factors can reduce the accuracy of eyewitness identifications. Here are some of them:

Extreme witness stress at the crime scene or during the identification process.

Presence of weapons at the crime (because they can intensify stress and distract witnesses).

Use of a disguise by the perpetrator such as a mask or wig.

A racial disparity between the witness and the suspect.

Brief viewing times at the lineup or during other identification procedures.

A lack of distinctive characteristics of the suspect such as tattoos or extreme height.

So police should just assume every description of every attacker is "unreliable", and do nothing?

Next I expect someone will justify the incompetent response because, well, maybe the attacker wasn't even male? Maybe the attacker wasn't even black? The witnesses are just "too unreliable" to be believed? Maybe it was really a space alien who attacked her?

Heck, let's go with further blaming the victim for her description, and accuse her of stabbing herself for attention, right? Because all those eyewitnesses may not have actually seen a real human being attacking her, and running off down the street?

Maybe his coat wasn't really "army" green? Isn't that somehow prejudicial to the Army? Maybe it was more of a "forest green with teal accents"? Maybe it wasn't really a coat, but a parka? Maybe his gray pants were more like skinny leggings?

GMAB. This is beyond ridiculous. She gave a competent description, right away. She had a lot of very close up views of her attacker while he got out of the car, followed her, and then she was being stabbed 14 times. He spoke to her. We don't know what he said. She never lost consciousness. She had no reason to vilify a specific ethnic group. This isn't "To Kill a Mockingbird."

hmmm.. i think you are missing my point here. The only thing i am disagreeing with you on is the jump to assume radical islamic terrorism. I have just noticed your posting history often includes a strong .... shall we say, bias, against Somali's in particular.

As far as media blackouts or media being used to facilitate or to inhibit specific agendas, i am with you.

My issue is that this sort of talk usually gets things shut down here as conspiratorial talk ala the Vegas thread.

I thought conspiracy theories were prohibited at Websleuths? Am I mistaken?

And the media is NOT talking about Morgan's case. One or two brief articles days ago is not "talking about it".

It was absurd in the extreme that weeks went by, 3 1/2, before a relevant description was released, and there was a pathetic, perfunctory "appeal" to the public from ONE media article with a phone number to call. Perfunctory. "See, we asked the public for help, and doggone it, we just couldn't seem to find him! Darn. Hope we have better luck next time."

Honestly the only reason this got any more press many days after the crime is the VICTIM spoke with local stations and got interest up but it is too late to find this guy now. I so agree with KZ again...all about this nameless, raceless person who attacked ME...can't give a detailed description of him because you might offend someone. This has gotten out of control.

Where is the information coming from that the reason people refuse to describe him is because they are afraid of offending others? Where are the links? Why does this thread feel like wild, biased speculation?

Where is the information coming from that the reason people refuse to describe him is because they are afraid of offending others? Where are the links? Why does this thread feel like wild, biased speculation?
Reminiscent of this story

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article154650829.html

Started with accusations against Syrian refugees for an alleged video recordered gang rape at knife point and ended up in actuality a sexual assault with no weapon and non-Syrian perps.

Although the perps were refugees from other countries, so in the end it still worked to feed the anti-refugee culture in the area. Like the intent behind this thread.

Not seeing anything helpful here or anything that will further the case. I do see an attempt to wind people up though. Jmo.

Honestly the only reason this got any more press many days after the crime is the VICTIM spoke with local stations and got interest up but it is too late to find this guy now. I so agree with KZ again...all about this nameless, raceless person who attacked ME...can't give a detailed description of him because you might offend someone. This has gotten out of control.

It would help tremendously imo to advise what the victims expertise is in identifying where a stranger is from.

I have great empathy for the injuries this victim has suffered - a horrible experience to be sure.

But, what she may have perceived in her minutes of terror could be incorrect. The relatively new Chief of Police was damned if they did and damned if they didn't imo. I have no doubt that LE has been out in droves trying to track this perp down - but to wind up a community with unverifiable info is exactly what people have been asking not to happen - don't marginalize a population when no proof exists and don't marginalize a population where one of that population has or may have committed a crime.

Attributing everything we don't like to being 'politically correct' is over-rated and looking to be divisive imo.

A detailed description was in fact given by the witness/victim and police shared it in the media.

From the first post/link in this thread: “Police Sgt. Darcy Horn said Thursday that they are still looking for the man, described as being of Somali ethnicity, in his early 20s, about 5 feet 7 inches tall, with a slender build and short hair with a slight Afro style on top. At the time of the attack he was wearing an Army green colored jacket and gray stone washed jeans.”

Maybe this is the reason why this hasn’t been front and center in the media. The attacker was described as Somalian. I don’t think the media made up that description. That description came from LE, which would have come from either the victim or a witness. No disrespect, but I’m so tired of people getting butt hurt and offended so easily. If the attacker was described as green nobody would be offended.

Yes, when a crime occurs and the perpetrator is still out there on the loose i think a good detailed description of the perp. is vital, so that people can call it in to LE if they see that perp. somewhere around the place before he tries to stab to death any other innocent person just going about their business. Has nothing to do with ethnicity but the fact that a horrific crime was committed, and the person needs to be caught and put in jail.

O/T

Hey, who else here remembers the earliest description of the a possible Oklahoma City bombing suspect back in 1995? I do.

Middle Eastern, darker complemented, likely to be flying out of the state of country immediately after the attack. The media and public had a heyday on some recent college grad from Oklahoma who was flying out of the county to see his family. ... He ended up going into hiding.

Timothy McVeigh was cooling his heels in a small-town jail after being arrested for a driving violation. His identity was traced from the VIN # on a piece of the rear axle of his rental truck bomb.

It happens.

If this crime happened on a busy city street weren't there any surveillance cameras around to record this crime?

If this crime happened on a busy city street weren't there any surveillance cameras around to record this crime?

If I understand correctly, it happened on a moderately busy neighborhood street, and people in their homes came running out while the attack was still going on, and scared him away by yelling at him. So the only cams might be homes with cams, no stores I don't think.

Police are testing what evidence they have. Might take awhile.

“Evenson said she got a very clear look at the suspect as she struggled with him for a few minutes. She describes him as a thin, Somali man in his early twenties with a slight accent and short, afro-style hair.

“Minneapolis police are increasing their patrols in the area and are awaiting results from forensic testing.”

http://www.fox9.com/news/weeks-later-minneapolis-police-still-seeking-suspect-in-uptown-stabbing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back