GUILTY MO - *GRAPHIC CONTENT* Cassidy Rainwater Kept Nude & Caged Before Brutal Attack and Dismemberment *arrests* #2

April 28, 2023

[…]

Phelps was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Prior to the plea, prosecutors were pursuing the death penalty.

[…]

April 28, 2023

[…]

Phelps was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Prior to the plea, prosecutors were pursuing the death penalty.

[…]

Probably saves the County money...just my guess, but he probably won't last too long in prison.

I'm glad he has a life sentence without the possibility of parole. He and Norton both deserved the death penalty though. Just horrid what Cassidy was put through.

A question regarding plea agreements, will the public still learn of the details in this case? There are still alot of unanswered questions. A whole house was burned to the ground along with evidence. I also can't imagine Cassidy being the first/only victim either, MOO.

Last edited:
I'm glad he has a life sentence without the possibility of parole. He and Norton both deserved the death penalty though. Just horrid what Cassidy was put through.

A question regarding plea agreements, will the public still learn of the details in this case? There are still alot of unanswered questions. A whole house was burned to the ground along with evidence. I also can't imagine Cassidy being the first/only victim either, MOO.
Agree with this entire post.
I believe he has had more victims, and that fire was very strategic. What a horrifying case :(

That‘s a really good question. The prosecutors and LE need to reveal the details of this case to the public. Given the history, it seems possible there have been other victims and other perps.
It seems likely that video and or photos of these horrific crimes have been shared on the internet. It would be good to have a report telling whether LE investigated the phones, computers, internet activity for these perps.

They also need a public discussion about the investigation into the fire at the crime scene - who set the fire.

JMO there’s still a lot of explaining needed from LE.

Phelps twice told investigators that Rainwater was staying with him but she had left for Colorado, according to court records.

Phelps’ house later burned to the ground in what investigators determined was arson.

Norton, who faces the same charges as Phelps, is scheduled for a court hearing on Tuesday.

Well, now there won't be a trial for Phelps as he took an Alford Plea and life in prison. I'm not sure we'll ever learn all the details, or if there were other victims (sure seems to be a strange set of actions if this was their "first time").

Is it just me or is it a little odd that he was offered an Alford Plea?

James Phelps faced first-degree murder charges in Rainwater’s death in the summer of 2021. The Alford plea admits Phelps believes the state has enough evidence to convict him. A judge sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility of probation and parole. Phelps has been taken to the Department of Corrections in Fulton.

An Alford Plea allows him to plead guilty while maintaining his innocence.

Why not just make him plead guilty? They certainly had overwhelming evidence against him. Perhaps he was refusing to plead guilty, but prosecution wanted to avoid a trial.

JMO, its very possible there were other victims and other perps or "spectators" involved. That's why someone set the torture house on fire after the arrests. JMO, Phelps wanted to bring up other guilty parties as part of his defense.

Norton is set to be in court today

Last edited:
Now, Norton's file on Missouri Case.net shows he had a hearing at 1pm today. It's 1:08pm CST right now, so the hearing is already over or ongoing

More

05/02/2023 Criminal Setting Scheduled
Setting / Disposition
Scheduled For: 06/27/2023; 1:00 PM ; LISA CARTER HENDERSON; Dallas
Hearing Held
State by PA. Defendant in person and by Attorney Kirsch. Case docketed for setting / disposition 6/27/23 at 1:00 PM.
Scheduled For: 05/02/2023; 1:00 PM ; LISA CARTER HENDERSON; Dallas

Criminal Setting is scheduled for June 27, 2023

Last edited:
Is it just me or is it a little odd that he was offered an Alford Plea?

An Alford Plea allows him to plead guilty while maintaining his innocence.

Why not just make him plead guilty? They certainly had overwhelming evidence against him. Perhaps he was refusing to plead guilty, but prosecution wanted to avoid a trial.

JMO, its very possible there were other victims and other perps or "spectators" involved. That's why someone set the torture house on fire after the arrests. JMO, Phelps wanted to bring up other guilty parties as part of his defense.

Norton is set to be in court today
I agree, IANAL but I have no idea why the prosecution would accept an Alford Plea here.

It seems that Norton is not going to take a plea like Phelps did (yet). Prosecutor says the trial will remain in Dallas County.
Thank you. It says his next hearing is June 27.

I wonder if Norton not taking an Alford plea is because he thinks he can be acquitted or if it wasn't offered? Was he less involved in these crimes than Phelps or more involved? So little information.

Alford. An Alford plea, also known as a "best-interests plea," registers a formal admission of guilt towards charges in criminal court while the defendant simultaneously expresses their innocence toward those same charges.

Both an Alford plea and a no contest plea are the functional equivalents of a guilty plea. A defendant who enters an Alford plea pleads guilty but claims to be innocent. With a no contest plea, a defendant accepts punishment but doesn't admit guilt. Both kinds of plea result in convictions.

The Alford Plea was created in 1970, at the time Henry C. Alford was indicted for first degree murder(5). North Carolina laws stated that at the time, capital punishment was the default for this crime if the defendant plead not guilty and the jury did not suggest life imprisonment. Out of fear for his life, Alford plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty, later filing a writ of habeas corpus that eventually led his case to the Supreme Court.

“the hope of reduction in punishment is the prime motivation for defendants to waive a significant amount of their constitutional rights and enter a plea of guilty”(6).

IMO - I would say on the advice of his counsel he did it to save his life (not surprising)

I am happy this is almost over...

June 27, 2023 update -

[…]

Timothy Norton pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in Rainwater’s death in the summer of 2021. A judge sentenced him to life in prison without parole.

[…]
That was certainly a brief report -- no mention of the arson, other evidence found or anything to do with the dark net - etc., etc.,

Get the feeling we may never know...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeepingKat
Back