MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last we hear from news is that he is charged with involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action but no news about his whereabouts. he could still be in the hospital but that is unknown. not much is being confirmed. much is being refuted.

Given the current climate of relations between STLMPD and the citizens, I highly doubt that an officer would be held in a normal jail setting. Think back to the Ferguson riots in 2014. The bird belonging to the LEO involved in that situation was even under witness protection.

Given the current climate of relations between STLMPD and the citizens, I highly doubt that an officer would be held in a normal jail setting. Think back to the Ferguson riots in 2014. The bird belonging to the LEO involved in that situation was even under witness protection.

So, by this logic, police officers in St. Louis could break any laws, kill anyone, and not have to go to jail?

There's another case similar to this - 15 or so years ago. Patricia March was shot in the face by a fellow officer and she lived. Cocaine and booze were involved. St. Louis. I couldn't find too much in MSM - just stumbled across the story in Tweetsville. Very sad read. The idealist in me can't ignore how very hush-hush the department handles these cases.

No one wants to air their dirty laundry. It's the medias job to bring it to light.

Do any officials (DA/police spokesperson) actually use the phrase “Russian Roulette gone wrong?” Or is it just the media’s choice of words? Either way, it’s incredibly frustrating that a game which is inheritantly likely to “go wrong” (ie kill someone) is being framed as something less lethal that just so happened to end tragically. As if it would otherwise be OK if no one was hurt or killed.

This whole story just doesn't make sense to me. Why were they all gathered at this on-duty police officer's apartment? It was almost 1 in the morning. She was married. It just doesn't make sense that they would really be "playing" this game with a revolver. With one bullet in the chamber, and two pulls of the trigger already done, the likelihood that it would fire when he pointed it at her was extremely high. I just don't see her willingly standing there and allowing it.

A tragic accident, huh? Accident like in “the gun accidentally discharged“? Or since when is reversed Russian Roulette defined as recreational activity where accidents occasionally happen? :eek:

This whole story just doesn't make sense to me. Why were they all gathered at this on-duty police officer's apartment? It was almost 1 in the morning. She was married. It just doesn't make sense that they would really be "playing" this game with a revolver. With one bullet in the chamber, and two pulls of the trigger already done, the likelihood that it would fire when he pointed it at her was extremely high. I just don't see her willingly standing there and allowing it.

Yes, it is definitely a weird one! Cops playing "reverse" Russian Roulette at 1:00 am. This just sounds insane to me! There has to be more to the story.

I find a game of Russian Roulette very hard to believe. How did he get that shiner under his eye?

I like how we are now calling deliberately pointing a loaded gun towards another person's chest and pulling the trigger "mishandling" a gun. :eyeroll: Talk about minimalizing . MOO.
Exactly. How is that involuntary manslaughter. You point the gun at someone, you pull the trigger. It ain't mishandling of the gun when you deliberately pull the trigger, so how is it "involuntary manslaughter?"

I don't believe for a second that he wasn't in custody of some sort...I do believe that his toxicology screening will come back different than it would have 3 days ago. They won't be able to hide the drugs in the deceased officer's system.

Exactly. How is that involuntary manslaughter. You point the gun at someone, you pull the trigger. It ain't mishandling of the gun when you deliberately pull the trigger, so how is it "involuntary manslaughter?"
Perhaps it is based on the victim apparently willingly engaging in a dangerous game. As the true object of the game is not to kill anybody per se, but rather to demonstrate "machoness", Second Degree murder does not fit.
This whole story just doesn't make sense to me. Why were they all gathered at this on-duty police officer's apartment? It was almost 1 in the morning. She was married. It just doesn't make sense that they would really be "playing" this game with a revolver. With one bullet in the chamber, and two pulls of the trigger already done, the likelihood that it would fire when he pointed it at her was extremely high.
I agree.

If the Russian Roulet claim is accurate, the alcohol might of led to conclusion by both parties that the weapon had been unloaded and thus had all empty cylinders. The danger then, was symbolic. But.... as more than a few people have learned with fatal results, weapons and alcohol- to say nothing of cocaine, don't mix.

Perhaps it is based on the victim apparently willingly engaging in a dangerous game. As the true object of the game is not to kill anybody per se, but rather to demonstrate "machoness", Second Degree murder does not fit.

I agree.

If the Russian Roulet claim is accurate, the alcohol might of led to conclusion by both parties that the weapon had been unloaded and thus had all empty cylinders. The danger then, was symbolic. But.... as more than a few people have learned with fatal results, weapons and alcohol- to say nothing of cocaine, don't mix.
Not according to probable cause statement. They didn't think the weapon was empty, as one cartridge was put back into the cylinder.
"According to a probable cause statement, which was signed by Sgt. Richard Hellmeier, Hendren and Alix were “playing with” a revolver, which the male officer had completely emptied out before putting “one cartridge back into the cylinder,” at Hendren’s apartment."
St. Louis Officer Was Killed by Fellow Cop During Game of Russian Roulette: Prosecutor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member