Found Deceased MO - Toni Anderson, 20, North Kansas City, 15 Jan 2017 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
They managed to have a flatbed for the SUV they pulled out from the same area a few hours earlier.

Wow. SMH

I feel so horrible for this young woman. What happened to her is horrible but it seems everything in the investigation has been done poorly. The least that can be done for her is to throughly investigate competently and properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The company I own has specialized in vehicle recovery since 1981. A large percentage of recoveries are for LE.

It is not logical in any way to purposely bring up a vehicle sideways to hide a body from view of media or helicopters. The number one priority is to recover the vehicle without causing more damage--many many techniques available to accomplish this successfully--number two priority is not to further contaminate the scene and vehicle being recovered.

It's so very easy to use a tarp the moment the vehicle starts to emerge from the water. Really easy and every crime scene / forensic / detective has access to tarps as standard equipment. My company always carries new sealed tarps for this purpose and any company doing LE recovery that's professional should as well. Often the divers--really almost always--stay in the water to facilitate removal of the vehicle and get it covered the moment it starts to come out of the water.

Vehicle recovery is slow process the car just doesn't bob up unexpectedly--so plenty of time to control the scene.

Forensic LE dive teams in my experience are phenomenal folks. Not saying everywhere they are great but in all the years I've done this the divers usually are just great.

No matter how good, experienced, conscientious and how clear the water might be divers are NO substitute for a through forensic examination of a recovered vehicle in a controlled and secure environment.

I have seen a lot of talk about how divers could tell if windows were rolled down or broken out. This is actually easy to accomplish by gently pulling back the lip of the window gasket and using s light to see if the window is retracted into the door panel. You can try this yourself safely in your driveway.

The recovery IMO was horribly flawed. A professional company with trained and experienced personnel and proper equipment absolutely could, should and would have recovered her Focus without causing any substantial additional damage. I cringed when I saw how the car was being dragged. I have seen sloppy companies before but never ever ever to this level. It's embarrassing because a county guy or gal with a jacked up pick-up and a couple chains that grew up on a farm could have pulled her car out without rolling it over and causing damage. I'm serious. Every farm gets stuck tractors and rolling them over or damaging them is bad for the checkbook.

Just the way they used what we call a J-Hook to attach to one point on the car is horrible. There should have been proper rigging, a minimum of two points of attachment, snatch blocks, double winch lines and so many other things done to get her car out the way it was underwater without damage.

I spoke to this on another post but this is the worst recovery I've seen for a potential crime scene. Honestly.

Then to transport her car using an auto loader / aka Repo truck with the front wheels turning on a FWD car---potentially destroyed so much evidence.

The only time you drag a car the way her Focus was dragged is IF and only IF it's a "simple accident" without injuries and no crime investigation. Example 3 weeks ago we recovered a mini-van from a river that fell off a competitors truck because the driver didn't properly secure it. That's a hook and drag because the van is totaled and there is no crime or investigation. Even if it's a crash with minor injuries you better believe the personal injury attorneys will sue the living daylights out of a recovery company that improperly recovers a vehicle affecting their personal injury lawsuits!!!!

Thank you for your post & contributing your expertise

I agree with you, however, why would this be where they met? All the way down that road seems extreme and if they had met up there before she would be familiar with that area. Or if it did happen to be the first time she met him there she would have followed him out or at the very least seen which direction he left.

He could have rendered her unconscious during their encounter and thinking shes dead, loads her into car and down ramp.

It doesnt make sense for her to get lost on her route home.

Once on the ramp how did the extreme bumpiness not alert her to stop and realize it was no longer a normal road. Boat ramps are extremely bumpy. So unless someone else pushed her car down the boat ramp it doesnt make sense. There is a stop sign in front of boat ramp.
If she was under the influence of something? With that image someone has posted showing how it could happen trying to turn around I could see how someone under the influence of drugs could make that mistake

Hi guys. This is my first post ever on any of these forums, so bear with me as I try to be cordial about all of this. I'm not out here to attack anyone personally or put myself out as an expert, but that being said, here's some thoughts on all of this.

The water temperature in the Missouri River right now is likely in the upper 30s to lower 40s. The coldest I've ever felt was 52 degrees in the Pacific near Monterey, CA, and I was barely able to wade into it for more than a few minutes before I had to get out or risk losing feeling in my toes. Imagine the sheer amount of shock your central nervous system would have to endure in water that's barely at 35 degrees. At that temperature, it would literally only take 3 to 4 minutes, at the most, for hypothermia to set in. If she's impaired by a foreign substance that affects cardiovascular output, it could take even less time.

This is quite accurate. It only takes 6 inches of moving water to move a vehicle off of a roadway (which is why public safety is always telling people not to drive over roadways submerged in water). If the ramp is slick (condensation can, and does often freeze in the winter, making roads and hard surfaces icy), it has a steep enough incline to induce motion on a vehicle, even with the brakes applied, and once it hits the water, it's game over.

The curb weight of a 2015 Ford Focus is 2,935 to 3,055 lbs. You do the math on that one.

This to me is the most plausible and likely scenario. She's disoriented in an area that is essentially dark, and finding landmarks at night in that area, amidst all the trees and hills is practically impossible.

I'm not sure myself, really. And I don't think it's impossible. We won't know if she was on anything until toxicology reports come back (and who knows how long that'll take in Missouri; the average wait in Kansas is several months, but our state is also broke beyond comprehension, so there's that), and if she had underlying psychiatric problems, the compounds she'd taken could've amplified those. And people make snap decisions all the time (e.g. everyone has made an impulse purchase at one point or another), so while I don't think that's as likely, I don't think it's unlikely or impossible either. It's a valid theory.

I would wager that most of the windows that were broken out upon recovery were broken when the vehicle was turned over as the current carried it downstream. It's worth noting that they pulled the vehicle out of the river nearly 600 feet downstream from the ramp itself, which would allow for it to turn over multiple times over two months. It's also worth noting that they acknowledged that the vehicle sustained some damage during the recovery process and windows likely were broken as a result (the bank is covered in large stones...).

As far as the trunk goes, that's anybody's guess, really. My gut says it was probably already open when the vehicle went into the water, but that begs the question of why it was open, and the most likely scenario is that the latch failed, or distortions to the vehicle body in the process of overturning in the water forced it open.

I feel like I know the metro area "well", despite only having lived in it for 6 years. I live in Johnson County, and know parts of it like the back of my hand, but those "parts" only account for about 1% of all the county itself. It's not impossible for people to get lost in their own metro area, especially if they don't traverse every single part of it on a routine basis. I mean, seriously, how well do you know every single part of your home county? I lived in a county in western Kansas that has only ~45,000 people in it for 20+ years, and I'm still finding new things about it that were always there every time I go back. Just because you can't believe that someone could (and would) get lost in their home territory doesn't make it impossible or even implausible.

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Occam's Razor is the standard upon which investigations are built. It's not foolproof, nor is it 100% accurate, but it's the most reliable method, and thus far has the best track record.

It is my experience as a boater, this is a steep boat ramp and on those ramps, wheels slip and don't catch the grooves easily. Add to that, ice.. it would easily happen. Her only choice would be to open the door and jump out and she may not have been able to react quick enough.

Whoa, I can't believe they use a stop sign at the top of the ramp! We have some ramps around here that aren't obviously marked, several use the same color signs as the rest of the park, so you don't really notice it, others have the traditional "Road Ends In Water" signs, and some just say "RAMP". Someone drives into the lake every couple years, and they've yet to improve the signage.

People have said they can't understand how Toni might make a wrong turn bc they suspect she was following a GPS. But I have traveled extensively in my line of work and my GPS has often been confused about which road I am on when there are several roads which parallel each other. Especially if there wasn't a strong signal or trees etc blocking it, she could've followed the GPS right into the water.

Does anyone know if they could retrieve the last known coordinates from her GPS (someone said she had a directions based GPS on her dash, in addition to the speed tracking device).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS has lead me down "driveways" that end in creeks, down roads that are no longer maintained by the county, down slab roads (which are fine if it hasn't rained a ton recently, but it's always after heavy rains and they are never wide enough to do anything but back up for hundreds of yards) and down parallel roads for many miles. And other times, I think I know better than GPS and take the wrong road, because zoomed out it looks like it goes right to where I'm going.

It could have but cars don't sink in a few seconds, it takes a bit. Personally if I noticed my car sinking I would jump out.

If her car was in reverse (per Mom), she may have been backing down blind. I doubt she could even see the water with the one lone light there and if she didn't know it was a ramp, she wouldn't have been expecting water behind her at all. With how low her car sits to the ground, she wouldn't have had to have been very far in the water for it to start leaking in the trunk and back doors. If she backed up a bit farther, the flow of the water maybe have grabbed her car and pulled her in pretty quickly.

I've fallen in icy cold water before. The immediate cold + pain pretty much caused a system overload followed by a system shutdown. I can't imagine trying to get out of a car in cold water. I can't imagine being in a car that's starting to float away and thinking clearly enough to get out. I would imagine there was a lot of panic if this was an accident and panicked people rarely are thinking clearly enough to do everything correctly in a quick manner. She may have pulled against her seatbelt or fought too long trying to keep her car from going in the water as it filled up. We don't know if/when the seatbelt came off or when/if the window was rolled down. All of those things take time and she would have been racing against the clock. Choosing to get out of the car and into the icy cold water would be tough.

Another thing to keep in mind is that she would have been completely blind under the water. Rivers are rarely clear and there would have been little if any light. Sadly, she may have tried to find an open window a long time.

Obviously I wasn't there so have no idea what communications or protocols local LE have. I have no idea the motives for recovering the car the way it was done.

It absolutely damaged the car and complicates a forensic investigation.

Certainly they knew this was Toni's car. That's something everyone can agree on. LE knew this was her car. Based on my experience and really common sense dragging her car up and towing it wheels down just seems extremely careless.

Just my opinion. I don't understand why it was done in this manor. If I was a paranoid conspiracy theorist I would almost say they wanted to contaminate and damage potential evidence. I'm not saying that and I'm not a paranoid conspiracy person.

I really don't understand in a big city, even a small town, not having basic rigging and a flatbed for transport.

I'm glad to hear a pro chime in on the recovery. I couldn't believe they managed to flip a right side up car upside down. My thoughts immediately went towards it being done intentionally. It seems LE has had to do a lot of backpedaling and/or damage control this entire case. If it wasn't intentionally done to contaminate evidence, I certainly think my mind goes more towards an FU to those questioning them. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but my faith in KC LE isn't spectacular after following this case.

So it's very possible she could have skid. Just being "wet" can make a car slide or skid. Black ice or patch ice causes many accidents and you don't have to be driving very fast. Just hitting the brakes to quick.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

This.

River launches are steep and she didn't have the right car (truck needed) to be on a steep boat launch.

Whoa, I can't believe they use a stop sign at the top of the ramp! We have some ramps around here that aren't obviously marked, several use the same color signs as the rest of the park, so you don't really notice it, others have the traditional "Road Ends In Water" signs, and some just say "RAMP". Someone drives into the lake every couple years, and they've yet to improve the signage.

GPS has lead me down "driveways" that end in creeks, down roads that are no longer maintained by the county, down slab roads (which are fine if it hasn't rained a ton recently, but it's always after heavy rains and they are never wide enough to do anything but back up for hundreds of yards) and down parallel roads for many miles. And other times, I think I know better than GPS and take the wrong road, because zoomed out it looks like it goes right to where I'm going.

If her car was in reverse (per Mom), she may have been backing down blind. I doubt she could even see the water with the one lone light there and if she didn't know it was a ramp, she wouldn't have been expecting water behind her at all. With how low her car sits to the ground, she wouldn't have had to have been very far in the water for it to start leaking in the trunk and back doors. If she backed up a bit farther, the flow of the water maybe have grabbed her car and pulled her in pretty quickly.

I've fallen in icy cold water before. The immediate cold + pain pretty much caused a system overload followed by a system shutdown. I can't imagine trying to get out of a car in cold water. I can't imagine being in a car that's starting to float away and thinking clearly enough to get out. I would imagine there was a lot of panic if this was an accident and panicked people rarely are thinking clearly enough to do everything correctly in a quick manner. She may have pulled against her seatbelt or fought too long trying to keep her car from going in the water as it filled up. We don't know if/when the seatbelt came off or when/if the window was rolled down. All of those things take time and she would have been racing against the clock. Choosing to get out of the car and into the icy cold water would be tough.

Another thing to keep in mind is that she would have been completely blind under the water. Rivers are rarely clear and there would have been little if any light. Sadly, she may have tried to find an open window a long time.

I'm glad to hear a pro chime in on the recovery. I couldn't believe they managed to flip a right side up car upside down. My thoughts immediately went towards it being done intentionally. It seems LE has had to do a lot of backpedaling and/or damage control this entire case. If it wasn't intentionally done to contaminate evidence, I certainly think my mind goes more towards an FU to those questioning them. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but my faith in KC LE isn't spectacular after following this case.

Could some of the experts speaking here contact a Kansas news station maybe and get these ideas aired? I have no expertise in this area and have no idea how the police would push back or explain their choices for retrieving the vehicle. Perhaps in that county, they aren't as sophisticated as LE elsewhere.

This.

River launches are steep and she didn't have the right car (truck needed) to be on a steep boat launch.

It was reported her tires were down to and past the wear bars so had little traction to begin with. Can this be confirmed? Easy to do by LE if they bother to look.

Could some of the experts speaking here contact a Kansas news station maybe and get these ideas aired? I have no expertise in this area and have no idea how the police would push back or explain their choices for retrieving the vehicle. Perhaps in that county, they aren't as sophisticated as LE elsewhere.

I don't think the mishandling of the car is a sophistication problem. It's common sense, they seemed to be careless.

It is my experience as a boater, this is a steep boat ramp and on those ramps, wheels slip and don't catch the grooves easily. Add to that, ice.. it would easily happen. Her only choice would be to open the door and jump out and she may not have been able to react quick enough.

On top of which: much of what needs to be done to correct a vehicle sliding on ice seems counter-intuitive especially if someone is in a panic state. Don't jump on that brake and hold, rather gently pump the brakes. Don't turn away from the direction of the slide, rather turn with it and gently pull-out of the turn, gradually...so the vehicle has a chance to reorient properly. Make sure your vehicle is "winterized" and that the tires have a good amount of tread.

Overcompensation is one of the worst thing a driver can do which often comes from a panic reaction.

I'm no ice-driving expert, but have spent about half of my life, over 20 years, in states with extremely icy road conditions in winter. Now I live in a place where it only rains all winter but even so: that requires a somewhat similar driving style as on ice.

I totally recommend that people go find a huge, empty, well-lit parking lot or someplace similar to practice! It at first feels very strange to drive in a way that goes against what our logical mind may tell us. I would just hope that we all take care of one another whenever possible, up to and including practice driving in hazardous conditions (in a safe, out-of-the-way place.)

I'm not saying that I'm convinced Toni's was an accident--I'm not convinced yet of anything. Just a PSA for road safety here. I hope it's taken with the good intention I intended when I wrote it.

I think we need to remember that it sounds like she had been up all night. Fatigue can be just as dangerous as driving drunk. And if she was high or something, AND sleepy, that's very dangerous. Also, as I said before, it's not uncommon for someone to drive with the window down when it's cold out to stay awake.

This was her lifestyle. Nothing out of the ordinary for her to be up wee hours.

Has it been reported what she was wearing when she left a Chrome / QT verses what she was found wearing during recovery?

Has it been reported what she was wearing when she left a Chrome / QT verses what she was found wearing during recovery?

It was reported the clothing was a match.

I would like to know if there was damaged to her rear bumper. But, thanks to sloppy recovery we don't know or it will be hard to tell.

The reason is mom says car was in reverse.

A bit odd. Maybe she was turning around and backing up, went to far.

Maybe she was parked there on purpose facing towards river and went to leave by backing up and out but lost traction and slid into water with tires spinning in reverse.

Maybe she made a driving error and went down the ramp and slowed down or stopped enough to get a little traction, put car in reverse and then lost all traction went into water.

Maybe her car was pushed by another vehicle or truck down the ramp and into the water. Maybe she was using reverse to try and counteract being pushed. Damage on the bumper would be an indicator.

I really wish / hope the ECM / engine control module can be downloaded maybe by Ford to see what the car was doing mechanically before it went into the water.

It was reported her tires were down to and past the wear bars so had little traction to begin with. Can this be confirmed? Easy to do by LE if they bother to look.

It really doesn't matter. It is my job to get the boat launched and then drive back up the ramp and park the truck and trailer.

It always slips on the launch, even in 4 low until it catches. She could have had knobby mud tires and she still would have gone in.

The Ford Focus is a computer controlled engine. Does anyone know if the onboard computer could be read after being submerged? I know in accident investigations parameters like braking force, engine rpms, gear selection and speed can be often retrieved. Is that possible here?

Good point. There is some corresponding information online. The Engine Control Module (ECM) on the Ford Focus is apparently located in the left front fender. The Event Data Recorder (EDR) - if the Focus has one at all - is located inside the airbag control module in the center of the dash on the floorboard. Both are factory-installed, in contrast to an after-market insurance data tracking device. As for underwater damage, they are described as being "water resistant" and "resistant to short-term immersion". Side note: Missouri is not among the 17 states with restrictive laws regarding consent to download the device's data.

I was wondering how many miles a 2014 car would have to have on it to have tires that were worn down that much by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member