GUILTY MS - Katelyn Beard, 17, Jackson, 31 August 2014

Thanks Coldpizza!i can honestly say that I have never heard of Dutchman Row. Going to look it up now.

ETA: totally an industrial area. Not a good area.

KATELYN BEARD, Age Now: 17, Missing: 08/31/2014. Missing From JACKSON, MS. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Jackson Mississippi Police Department (Mississippi) 1-601-665-7757.

More...

This doesn't sound good

Hadas Brown @HadasBrownWAPT · 17m
JPD says they've called search dogs out to where they found the car Katelyn Beard may have been kidnapped in. They think her body is nearby.

https://twitter.com/HadasBrownWAPT

Thanks Coldpizza!i can honestly say that I have never heard of Dutchman Row. Going to look it up now.

ETA: totally an industrial area. Not a good area.

I don't think there's any place in metro Jackson that qualifies as a "good" area. :(

But why dump her vehicle and body in separate places? It would have been easier for perp to just leave it in the car. Makes me hope that just the car was dumped and Katelyn is still alive in another vehicle.

I don't think there's any place in metro Jackson that qualifies as a "good" area. :(

Well, at least not west or south Jackson. There are still some areas holding on, like Northeast. We go to the Fondren area on occasion but certainly not without using caution.

ETA: I should add that I don't disagree with you. I'm just sentimental about the Jackson I remember from my childhood and it breaks my heart that what was once such a beautiful place has fallen so far. :(

https://www.facebook.com/WJTV.News.Channel.12?fref=ts

Debate on here saying it's Katelyn's car. Depending on whether she was able to get into the car, or DT put her in the trunk, he may have thought the car/blood was too hot to keep. What's around there? Would someone have had to pick him up?

There is also the question of how long the car has been sitting there. It is very close in proximity to her home that she was abducted from. It could have been there since shortly after he took her. JMO.

I'm originally from the Jackson area and now live close to the coast. Logged on to see what was being sleuthed, and you all have pretty much summed up my thoughts. The area in which she lived and where the car was found is a part of town I would have avoided in daylight a decade ago -- much less today. And I was a single woman living in downtown JXN then (Belhaven). Sadly, I don't think it's going to end well, especially since the car was found just blocks from the abduction site. It's also close to the interstate, so he could be far away pretty quickly.

ETA: Just saw a news story that referred to her as 20 years old. Maybe it was an older story when news first broke? If she had a fake ID, this could explain the long delay in issuing an Amber Alert, as well as her ability to get tattooed.

I was born and raised in Hattiesburg, and have family in the Florence/Brandon areas. I, too, fondly remember driving to Northpark Mall for back-to-school shopping. However, I'm like ms_writer.... it wasn't good then, much less now. The condition of my birth state's capital city is a sad one. :(

I live in the Delta, but am in Jackson a good bit, and I remember when Northpark was new and we thought it was great. I don't go there now, ever.

The area that the car was found in is no where near Northpark. I'll still venture over there on occasion but less and less. But the area that the car was found in has been bad for many years. Like ms_writer said, I wouldn't have gone there in daylight ten years ago.

I'm guessing they haven't found anything in the area at this time. I'm wondering about her true age as well. My initial thought was that the AA was delayed due to lack of proof of her true age. JMO.

But why dump her vehicle and body in separate places? It would have been easier for perp to just leave it in the car. Makes me hope that just the car was dumped and Katelyn is still alive in another vehicle.

Sure seems like that may be the case. Hard to believe if her body was really dumped by where the car was found like that article suggested that they'd have found her by now...?

And really, why would he have shot her and bothered to make the effort to get her into the car and drive off with her, only to go a mile?!

Unless she died between leaving the house and going that one mile, it seems really odd he'd do that unless he had another 'getaway' plan or something and like you said, someone picked them up in another a vehicle (or maybe he had another where her car was found) or something.

Curious if hospitals in the area (and several hours surrounding) all have the same policy we do here and have to call in any walk-in gunshot victims (and in most cases, also all stabbings - unless it was clearly self-inflicted).

Sometimes I'll hear them still alert the hospitals on the scanner about a shooting with no victim at the scene, but it's usually more a heads up to get them to watch out front to try to get drop-off vehicle info, etc. We have one hospital here notorious for ending up as the drop-off for shooting victims (or the ones that drive themselves) and the stories that often go along with them are...out there much of the time.

But all that to say, I wonder if it works the same way there and if they are on alert in the area and surrounding counties in case Katelyn gets dropped off because maybe he'll get worried he'll face actual murder charges (and not 'just' attempted) if she were to die.

Jmo but I have never heard LE say they were looking for a body (rather than a live person) unless they were sure...especially so early in a case.

Jmo but I have never heard LE say they were looking for a body (rather than a live person) unless they were sure...especially so early in a case.

Them being so sure it was Katelyn who'd been shot at the residence was also interesting.

Was there a witness?

Or how did they know it was her who was shot and not him, for instance? Or even someone else possibly having been in the residence and her just being taken because perhaps she was a witness?

And also them having said from the get go they thought she was seriously injured...sure seems like there has to have been a whole lot of blood to know that (along with being so sure it was her blood).

I wonder if it's what was in the residence that added to them having referenced looking for her body, since, like you said, it's unusual they'd be simply saying looking for her at this point.

Breaking news:
@WLBT: The suspect wanted in connection with the teen abducted from a Jackson home Sunday has been arrested. http://t.co/S9IBot4xFx

ETA: @TRex21: WJTV's Perrise Thomas is reporting that JPD may have Dewayne Thompson in custody after a short foot chase. More to come.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back