Identified! MS - Lincoln Co, Wht/MixedFem 16-35, UP4769, poss from New Orleans, freckles, scars, mole, Sep'89 - MELINDA LOU BARNHOUSE

3. Reports state she had bite marks on several parts of her body; take this with a grain of salt. Crime scene and post mortem photos show marks more consistent with ones received when skin is scraped against asphalt or animal/insect predation, not bit by a human. This is based on my own observations, but to give a little more weight to it, here is an entire book written about the ME/dentist whom the “bite mark evidence” came from... The Epidemic of Wrongful Convictions in America (I think I’ve got a free PDF copy if anyone is interested in reading it)

@MadMcGoo have you watched the Innocence Files on Netflix? The first couple of episodes cover bite mark evidence and the discrediting of Dr Michael West who was considered an expert witness for many years. He is from MS, was he the expert for the prosecution in this case?

Wow, MadMcGoo! Thank you for sharing, and for all your hard work on her case! I agree that it seems unlikely that Case worked alone, if he had any part in it at all. When you have the time, I'd love to see what you've found. Now that Princess Blue has been identified, I'm rethinking all of the possible matches that I've missed in other cases. Her bright, crystal clear blue eyes are a big help when comparing to any potential match. You don't see eyes like that very often!
Yes! Her eyes were certainly very memorable for everyone who saw her! I appreciate the interest in her case, she means a lot to me! :) I'm trying to find on my Google Drive all the documents and then I'll share on here for sure! I was able to get into the FB group and see some of the posts that were made and I'm just happy to see someone come forward with information. Her case deserves some TLC!

@MadMcGoo have you watched the Innocence Files on Netflix? The first couple of episodes cover bite mark evidence and the discrediting of Dr Michael West who was considered an expert witness for many years. He is from MS, was he the expert for the prosecution in this case?
I did watch that awhile back and I was taken aback when I first heard the name! He was in fact an expert witness in this case!! Even before I knew there was a book or documentary series about him/them, I suspected something was...off. These men were responsible for several wrongful convictions (not speculatory) and I believe this was most likely one of them. Aside from potentially putting an innocent man behind bars, I think this Jane Doe's identification has further been prolonged by some of this "expert testimony".

Yes, he was. I read this on the Who are you, Doe? Facebook group. First thing I noticed.....after seeing the Innocence Files. @MadMcGoo are you already a member, there is lot of interesting info about this case on there.

Last edited:
Yes, he was. I read this on the Who are you, Doe? Facebook group. First thing I noticed.....after seeing the Innocence Files. @MadMcGoo are you already a member, there is lot of interesting info about this case on there.
I am a member and I read through a lot of it yesterday. Most of it wasn’t news to me but it was a good refresher. She is one of a few local people whom I’ve exchanged information with and who’d love to see this Jane Doe identified! I don’t get on FB much so I wasn’t aware of this group, but it looks like she might finally be getting some more well needed attention.

I am a member and I read through a lot of it yesterday. Most of it wasn’t news to me but it was a good refresher. She is one of a few local people whom I’ve exchanged information with and who’d love to see this Jane Doe identified! I don’t get on FB much so I wasn’t aware of this group, but it looks like she might finally be getting some more well needed attention.

OK! I'm happy you are right on it.

Winnie Janette Kersey (27yo) might be a match for these remains. I'm not convinced based on mismatched stats such as heights and hair color and the timeline of the two cases but facially, in one of her pictures, I couldn't get beyond the resemblance to the composite of LCJD. Her grandaughter posted a bit of detail on her WS thread. I'll relax a bit better knowing I at least brought her to your attention.

FL - FL - Winnie Kersey, 27, Jacksonville, 3 Dec 1982
Winnie Janette Kersey – The Charley Project

845UFMS2_LARGE.jpg
winnie_janette_kersey_1.jpg
845UFMS3_LARGE.jpg
kersey_winnie2.jpg

Winnie Janette Kersey (27yo) might be a match for these remains. I'm not convinced based on mismatched stats such as heights and hair color and the timeline of the two cases but facially, in one of her pictures, I couldn't get beyond the resemblance to the composite of LCJD. Her grandaughter posted a bit of detail on her WS thread. I'll relax a bit better knowing I at least brought her to your attention.

FL - FL - Winnie Kersey, 27, Jacksonville, 3 Dec 1982
Winnie Janette Kersey – The Charley Project

845UFMS2_LARGE.jpg
winnie_janette_kersey_1.jpg
845UFMS3_LARGE.jpg
kersey_winnie2.jpg
Hmmm. This one’s tough. Jane Doe’s earlobes are attached pretty much exactly like Winnie’s. They have similarly shaped faces. Winnie’s height is listed as 5’9”, whereas JD’s is 5’2” and their hair color is different. Looking at the photo her granddaughter posted, it looks to me like Winnie could be shorter than 5’9” (But it’s impossible for me to really tell). In the photo of her sitting on the couch it definitely looks like there is a reddish tint to her hair, which isn’t consistent with JD’s. From the photos I’ve seen, her hair is dark...but the images aren’t of excellent quality. (I’m still trying to determine what I’m allowed to post here). But their hairline looks the same! Winnie had children so it would be nice to know if LCJD did. There’s nothing in anything I’ve seen or read to indicate one way or the other.

My gut tells me no, but I can’t get over the resemblance either. Especially the middle two photos you posted! I’m going to mention Winnie to someone I’ve been working on this with and get their opinion. If you want to submit her to law enforcement I’d say go for it! If not, I can hopefully get you at least one more opinion. :)

Thank you YaYa for mentioning Winnie!!

Hmmm. This one’s tough. Jane Doe’s earlobes are attached pretty much exactly like Winnie’s. They have similarly shaped faces. Winnie’s height is listed as 5’9”, whereas JD’s is 5’2” and their hair color is different. Looking at the photo her granddaughter posted, it looks to me like Winnie could be shorter than 5’9” (But it’s impossible for me to really tell). In the photo of her sitting on the couch it definitely looks like there is a reddish tint to her hair, which isn’t consistent with JD’s. From the photos I’ve seen, her hair is dark...but the images aren’t of excellent quality. (I’m still trying to determine what I’m allowed to post here). But their hairline looks the same! Winnie had children so it would be nice to know if LCJD did. There’s nothing in anything I’ve seen or read to indicate one way or the other.

My gut tells me no, but I can’t get over the resemblance either. Especially the middle two photos you posted! I’m going to mention Winnie to someone I’ve been working on this with and get their opinion. If you want to submit her to law enforcement I’d say go for it! If not, I can hopefully get you at least one more opinion. :)

Thank you YaYa for mentioning Winnie!!

Thanks, @MadMcGoo! I'll go into a bit more detail at the risk of falling into the trap of falsely convincing myself that these are her remains. LKA date and DOD are 6 years apart yet Winnie’s age in 1989 still would have been within the estimated age range for LCJD. Imo, New Orleans would be the place of choice for someone to attempt a new start if she wanted or needed to leave Florida, or any place along the Gulf coast for that matter. Her granddaughter mentioned that she thinks Winnie met with foul play either at the hands of someone with whom she had had an intimate relationship or because she may have been working for/with the cops. Along with her past drug use, these are reasons that could suggest she may have left voluntarily and ended up in N.O. Over on Winnie’s thread a WS member pointed out that she lived very close to a bus station and her granddaughter mentioned a witness seeing her leave with others in a car after possibly being put or forced into the vehicle. Either way, both point to her having access to a ride to N.O. (as well as she had 6 years to get there :confused:).

Winnie’s hair color is listed as blonde on Charley and blonde/strawberry on NamUs. Imo though, in the photo posted on her thread, her hair color appears to be brown or a very dark blonde with a reddish tint as you mentioned but let's remember this is at least 6 years prior to LCJD's death. Her hair is also much longer than shoulder length but maybe her hair had been cut and colored at some point during the 6 year interval. Is it possible to tell if LCJD's hair was naturally brown or color treated in the PM pics you've seen ? Would it have been disclosed if it was dyed brown?

Heights are way off at 5'2" vs 5'9" but a message up thread shows LCJD's height estimated as 5'2" - 5'4". I'm not sure of the accuracy of that estimate given her other profiles only list 5'2" but it does leave the window open for a much less drastic difference in heights. I wonder if Winnie’s height was described by whomever reported her missing or by official documents such as arrest/prison records?

Visually, there are many potential matches in their features, as you've pointed out. One thing I've noticed though is the mention of a mole on LCJD's neck. Precisely where is that mole? Have you seen it in the PM pics? I see some type of discoloration on Winnie’s neck slightly to the left side of middle in the couch pic. Also note her hair covers quite a bit of her neck on both sides so it's hard to tell whether she has a mole in those areas. I see no obvious mark on the other pic of Winnie. The composite of LCJD is of such poor quality that it's hard to see her neck but there appears to be a mark of some kind on the right side of her neck. Is this the mole or is this a mark from the strangulation?

Finally, Jennie Miti is the alias LCJD used according to her accused murderer. Jennie vs Winnie Janette Hindman Kersey. Could it be she simply switched the "Wi" for a "Je" and went from Winnie to Jennie? This leaves me wondering considering all the other random feminine names there are that she could have chosen (i.e., Susan, Page, Tammy, Cathy, and a bazillion others).

I'll wait to hear back from you and others on opinions before I submit to LE but I think she'd be worth a mention to them. Thanks again.

Thanks, @MadMcGoo! I'll go into a bit more detail at the risk of falling into the trap of falsely convincing myself that these are her remains. LKA date and DOD are 6 years apart yet Winnie’s age in 1989 still would have been within the estimated age range for LCJD. Imo, New Orleans would be the place of choice for someone to attempt a new start if she wanted or needed to leave Florida, or any place along the Gulf coast for that matter. Her granddaughter mentioned that she thinks Winnie met with foul play either at the hands of someone with whom she had had an intimate relationship or because she may have been working for/with the cops. Along with her past drug use, these are reasons that could suggest she may have left voluntarily and ended up in N.O. Over on Winnie’s thread a WS member pointed out that she lived very close to a bus station and her granddaughter mentioned a witness seeing her leave with others in a car after possibly being put or forced into the vehicle. Either way, both point to her having access to a ride to N.O. (as well as she had 6 years to get there :confused:).

Winnie’s hair color is listed as blonde on Charley and blonde/strawberry on NamUs. Imo though, in the photo posted on her thread, her hair color appears to be brown or a very dark blonde with a reddish tint as you mentioned but let's remember this is at least 6 years prior to LCJD's death. Her hair is also much longer than shoulder length but maybe her hair had been cut and colored at some point during the 6 year interval. Is it possible to tell if LCJD's hair was naturally brown or color treated in the PM pics you've seen ? Would it have been disclosed if it was dyed brown?

Heights are way off at 5'2" vs 5'9" but a message up thread shows LCJD's height estimated as 5'2" - 5'4". I'm not sure of the accuracy of that estimate given her other profiles only list 5'2" but it does leave the window open for a much less drastic difference in heights. I wonder if Winnie’s height was described by whomever reported her missing or by official documents such as arrest/prison records?

Visually, there are many potential matches in their features, as you've pointed out. One thing I've noticed though is the mention of a mole on LCJD's neck. Precisely where is that mole? Have you seen it in the PM pics? I see some type of discoloration on Winnie’s neck slightly to the left side of middle in the couch pic. Also note her hair covers quite a bit of her neck on both sides so it's hard to tell whether she has a mole in those areas. I see no obvious mark on the other pic of Winnie. The composite of LCJD is of such poor quality that it's hard to see her neck but there appears to be a mark of some kind on the right side of her neck. Is this the mole or is this a mark from the strangulation?

Finally, Jennie Miti is the alias LCJD used according to her accused murderer. Jennie vs Winnie Janette Hindman Kersey. Could it be she simply switched the "Wi" for a "Je" and went from Winnie to Jennie? This leaves me wondering considering all the other random feminine names there are that she could have chosen (i.e., Susan, Page, Tammy, Cathy, and a bazillion others).

I'll wait to hear back from you and others on opinions before I submit to LE but I think she'd be worth a mention to them. Thanks again.

Thank you for doing the revision c.q. the analysis. I'm not sure this could be a match. For me there are to much things that don't fit/settle. In my mind also her distinctive sky blue would have been mentioned in the missing persons file. But....who am I?

Thank you for doing the revision c.q. the analysis. I'm not sure this could be a match. For me there are to much things that don't fit/settle. In my mind also her distinctive sky blue would have been mentioned in the missing persons file. But....who am I?

Thanks, Bit. I agree that there are quite a few aspects that don't fit which leads me to think this may not be a match. Most especially the fingerprints. LCJD's prints are on file. I think from Winnie's arrest and imprisonment her prints would have been on file and there would have been a hit once LCJD's prints were run through the system. However, there are also quite a few matching physical features that make me think it could be a match (especially the lips!). It seems like for every "no, not a match" there is also a "yes, might be a match". This is precisely why I think a forensic comparison may be necessary. Something is not sitting right with me. It's like a seesaw from no to yes to no to yes again... o_O;) An official answer would be nice. :)

Thank you for going into detail! You bring up some excellent points, I see why you’re torn. I am too. I forwarded Winnie’s info on to my “unverified expert” this morning, so I’ll keep you posted!

The 6 year time gap doesn’t concern me much because it’s just one possible explanation as to why LCJD hasn’t been identified and Winnie has never been found. I think that’s totally plausible.

You’re right about the hair, I don’t think I’d describe Winnie’s as being blonde. I have seen crime scene and PM photos and that’s the best description I can think of... her hair is dark. It doesn’t look dyed to me, but I’m certainly no expert. Without being overly graphic, other parts of her body which are exposed show hair that also appears dark...or at least a similar color as the hair on her head. But I am seeing black and white copies of copies, so who knows. I’m also taking into some consideration her suspected race/ethnicity - anything from white to Asian/American Indian.

If I’m right about what their describing as a mole, it’s directly beneath one of her earlobes...approximately 2 cm below and slightly towards the back. And it’s a raised mole, not just a discolored spot of skin. If that helps...I can’t see anything in the photos of Winnie.

I was thinking the very same thing about her name!!! I’ve always thought the “name on the drivers license” was more smoke and mirrors. BUT, if it wasn’t, the man who supposedly saw this name was in a hurry and not too worried about knowing who this girl was. I think if he did see a name, he could have easily been wrong about exactly what that name was!

I’m going to get back with you here in a bit. I think Winnie is worth submitting and if you’re willing, I think it might help if you submitted her! If LE saw that there was more interest in the case, hopefully that’d really motivate them to get done what a couple of us have been trying to do the last few years.

Also, do you think it would be possible for one of Winnie’s relatives to see the reconstruction of LCJD and give a ‘yes’ or ‘no’?

Thanks again!

Thanks, Bit. I agree that there are quite a few aspects that don't fit which leads me to think this may not be a match. Most especially the fingerprints. LCJD's prints are on file. I think from Winnie's arrest and imprisonment her prints would have been on file and there would have been a hit once LCJD's prints were run through the system. However, there are also quite a few matching physical features that make me think it could be a match (especially the lips!). It seems like for every "no, not a match" there is also a "yes, might be a match". This is precisely why I think a forensic comparison may be necessary. Something is not sitting right with me. It's like a seesaw from no to yes to no to yes again... o_O;) An official answer would be nice. :)

Isn't there a better picture (mugshot) of Winnie?

*testing* Trying to get images to upload :confused:

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-3_11-9-42.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-9-42.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 59
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-10-41.png
    upload_2020-7-3_11-10-41.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-11-55.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-11-55.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 60
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-13-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-13-57.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 53
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-14-50.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-14-50.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 52
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-15-35.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-15-35.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 54
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-16-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-16-14.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 58
  • upload_2020-7-3_11-17-13.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_11-17-13.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 38
Thank you for going into detail! You bring up some excellent points, I see why you’re torn. I am too. I forwarded Winnie’s info on to my “unverified expert” this morning, so I’ll keep you posted!

The 6 year time gap doesn’t concern me much because it’s just one possible explanation as to why LCJD hasn’t been identified and Winnie has never been found. I think that’s totally plausible.

You’re right about the hair, I don’t think I’d describe Winnie’s as being blonde. I have seen crime scene and PM photos and that’s the best description I can think of... her hair is dark. It doesn’t look dyed to me, but I’m certainly no expert. Without being overly graphic, other parts of her body which are exposed show hair that also appears dark...or at least a similar color as the hair on her head. But I am seeing black and white copies of copies, so who knows. I’m also taking into some consideration her suspected race/ethnicity - anything from white to Asian/American Indian.

If I’m right about what their describing as a mole, it’s directly beneath one of her earlobes...approximately 2 cm below and slightly towards the back. And it’s a raised mole, not just a discolored spot of skin. If that helps...I can’t see anything in the photos of Winnie.

I was thinking the very same thing about her name!!! I’ve always thought the “name on the drivers license” was more smoke and mirrors. BUT, if it wasn’t, the man who supposedly saw this name was in a hurry and not too worried about knowing who this girl was. I think if he did see a name, he could have easily been wrong about exactly what that name was!

I’m going to get back with you here in a bit. I think Winnie is worth submitting and if you’re willing, I think it might help if you submitted her! If LE saw that there was more interest in the case, hopefully that’d really motivate them to get done what a couple of us have been trying to do the last few years.

Also, do you think it would be possible for one of Winnie’s relatives to see the reconstruction of LCJD and give a ‘yes’ or ‘no’?

Thanks again!

66d80c38-56d7-49da-923a-b7a2a4fe65f7-jpeg.241588

Her granddaughter mentioned (comment linked below) this was the first pic she'd ever seen of Winnie so she may not recognize her in the recon. Although I'd hope someone in her circle of acquaintances could make that determination or at least find more pics of her. There has got to be some photos somewhere, right?:confused: I wish the more advanced sleuthers would do their magic and find arrest/prison records, high school photos, or any other images that might exist out in cyber space or newspaper searches. But then again I could just submit her name and hope like heck investigators do the footwork to determine whether this is Winnie.;) I get the feeling from some things you've mentioned and I've read that there's some hesitation or push back from LE. If that's correct, may I ask what's the issue? Feel free to PM me if you'd be more comfortable. I have some ideas about that but I'm not comfortable posting it out in the open just yet. :oops: Thanks for the info on the mole. Do you mind saying whether you see a mole on LCJD's chest down by her right breast area. I ask because it appears Winnie has one in this pic but that could also be a random mark on the photo or something else that just happened to be on her chest when the pic was taken.

FL - Winnie Kersey, 27, Jacksonville, 3 Dec 1982

*testing* Trying to get images to upload :confused:

Thank you for posting these! It's confusing that there are multiple reports of Coroner Henderson saying there were no marks, cuts, or bruises on the body yet they find bite marks and she was strangled to death.:eek: Seems to me there would have been some sort of signs of trauma when she was found but what do I know... :rolleyes:

MBI Case Report and ARC’s handwritten confession...

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-3_22-49-42.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_22-49-42.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 63
  • upload_2020-7-3_22-50-12.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_22-50-12.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 64
  • upload_2020-7-3_22-50-58.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_22-50-58.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 64
  • upload_2020-7-3_22-51-44.jpeg
    upload_2020-7-3_22-51-44.jpeg