Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's terrific that Rick Caruso, the USC Chairman of the Board invites worthy young college students onto his private megayacht for a week at a time.

Does he start with freshmen or the seniors? Or does he mix it? If he's inviting the entire student body, does USC pay for it or does he get to write it off for charity?

I just assume the Chairman of the Board doesn't pick favorites, don't you?
The girls were guests of his daughter, not him. She’s 19.

Son of Parenting Book Author Who Was Arrested as Part of Alleged College Cheating Scam Speaks Out

Despite being advised not to speak on the matter, the son of Beverly Hills-based marketing CEO and author Jane Buckingham apologized in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday for being “unknowingly involved” with the alleged nationwide scheme.

Jack also said that he hopes the alleged incident, which saw his parenting author mom be charged with conspiring to cheat on her son’s ACT exam, will change the future of college admission processes.

“I know there are millions of kids out there both wealthy and less fortunate who grind their *advertiser censored* off just to have a shot at the college of their dreams,” he told the publication. “I am upset that I was unknowingly involved in a large scheme that helps give kids who may not work as hard as others an advantage over those who truly deserve those spots.”

“For that, I am sorry, though I know my word does not mean much to many people at the moment,” he continued. “While the situation I am going through is not a pleasant one, I take comfort in the fact that this might help finally cut down on money and wealth being such a heavy factor in college admissions.”

“Instead, I hope colleges may prioritize an applicants’ character, intellect, and other qualities over everything else,” he finished, adding, “It was probably not a smart idea to say anything but I needed to get that off my chest.”

Where do we draw the line?

How about families who can afford to spend money on special ACT and SAT training classes? Most middle and lower class families cannot afford that.

Is it fair?

Children can be on teams because their parents can afford the camps and coaches to get the kids in top form?

What is fair?
I would say the line is when you break federal laws?

I would say the line is when you break federal laws?

There was discussion about the unfairness and kids working hard.

But there is more unfairness with money as an advantage for tutors and other advantages.

I don't know what everybody is up in arms about. This has been going on for decades, even generations. If they had waited and followed these kids around they would find they would or have graduated with flying colors, having passed courses they never even attended. As we speak College Athletic Departments have nests of "tutors" for athletes that can't pass their required courses, but they can play ball and get the Stadium seats filled.

JMO

I don’t think all 700 names have been publishe

d but I could be wrong. I’m kinda behind so maybe I’ll come across it..
"I think that number comes from a conversation between Singer and one of the parents in the charging document-when Singer is trying to boast of his success. Realize number is widely reported. May or may not be an accurate number-haven't seen where feds have given a number beyond 50

There is a kid that was just drafted last year who came to MU on a full boat scholarship. There is a rule that players have to be one year removed from HS to be NBA eligible. He came here and played two minutes on the court. Had an "injury" for the rest of the season. His health records were protected by HIPPA laws and regulations. NBA draft rolled around, he was "eligible" and got picked up for about a $15M contract. NOW if THAT'S not gaming the system what is? Not to mention he has a younger Brother that is following right in his footsteps.

JMO

Mizzou football team banned from bowl this season as part of academic fraud penalties

The NCAA found the tutor, Yolanda Kumar, “violated NCAA ethical conduct, academic misconduct and academic extra benefits rules when she completed academic work for 12 student-athletes,” according to a Division I Committee on Infractions panel.

Read more here: Mizzou football team banned from bowl this season as part of academic fraud penalties

Wonder how it was in the Macy/Huffman household last night?

What a way to let the kids know you have NO faith in their abilities, we have to buy YOU a place in University.

Ruh roh indeed!

I was thinking to myself, "doesn't it sound like she thinks the older daughter is "the stupid one" of her daughters?" I mean... dang. Maybe she grew a conscience in the middle of the process but considering the $15,000, maybe she's just too cheap to pay for the younger one... not that the younger one shouldn't be happy.

What about her husband? He designs clothes sold at Target. I haven't heard much about that business suffered by the scandal?

jmo

I feel like, for some reason, even if he wasn't connected to the clothes, it's not the clothes that offend. As far as Lori L., actors are part of the "cult of personality"; where they are, in fact, selling themselves. I also think it's a lot more likely for people to be sensitive about the actions of a person, than for them to be sensitive about inanimate objects such as textiles... especially if they really like the textiles. I mean, let's get real. ;)

Son of Parenting Book Author Who Was Arrested as Part of Alleged College Cheating Scam Speaks Out

Despite being advised not to speak on the matter, the son of Beverly Hills-based marketing CEO and author Jane Buckingham apologized in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday for being “unknowingly involved” with the alleged nationwide scheme.

Jack also said that he hopes the alleged incident, which saw his parenting author mom be charged with conspiring to cheat on her son’s ACT exam, will change the future of college admission processes.

“I know there are millions of kids out there both wealthy and less fortunate who grind their *advertiser censored* off just to have a shot at the college of their dreams,” he told the publication. “I am upset that I was unknowingly involved in a large scheme that helps give kids who may not work as hard as others an advantage over those who truly deserve those spots.”

“For that, I am sorry, though I know my word does not mean much to many people at the moment,” he continued. “While the situation I am going through is not a pleasant one, I take comfort in the fact that this might help finally cut down on money and wealth being such a heavy factor in college admissions.”

“Instead, I hope colleges may prioritize an applicants’ character, intellect, and other qualities over everything else,” he finished, adding, “It was probably not a smart idea to say anything but I needed to get that off my chest.”

That's a handsome apology and, I think, sincere. Shows good character that his mother lacks. IMO, MOO.

There was discussion about the unfairness and kids working hard.

But there is more unfairness with money as an advantage for tutors and other advantages.

I wouldn't call having money and spending it on legally allowed services 'unfair'. If I go to a concert, I have the choice of many differently priced tickets. The more money I have to spend on tickets, the closer to the action I sit. That's not unfair, that's life. Same goes for this.

If my college aged child needed a tutor, I wouldn't be able to afford it. But that's not unfair, that's just how it is. I don't have tons of money. That doesn't make me resent the person who can afford a tutor for their child.
I would resent them however if they committed a federal crime to hire that tutor, especially if I had just managed to save up enough money to hire them also, but now I can't (because they already got hired).

All MOO (Dang I miss the cow emoji :D ).

I don't know what everybody is up in arms about. This has been going on for decades, even generations. If they had waited and followed these kids around they would find they would or have graduated with flying colors, having passed courses they never even attended. As we speak College Athletic Departments have nests of "tutors" for athletes that can't pass their required courses, but they can play ball and get the Stadium seats filled.

JMO

Just because it's been going on for decades or generations (which I doubt as far as the criminal side of this goes, which IMO is where the outrage lies, not with buying their way in through donations) doesn't mean we have to say "oh well just leave them at it" IMO. If that were true the mob would still be thriving.

JMO

That's a handsome apology and, I think, sincere. Shows good character that his mother lacks. IMO, MOO.

rsbm

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about his apology. There is something about it that doesn't sit right with me. It comes across as very sincere, but at the same time he never said anything about how he is one of those kids "who work their asses off" (to quote the article/apology), or something like it. But maybe I'm just super critical. I hope it's a genuine apology.

TBH I'm mad about quite a few things in this scandal, but one of them is the utter stupidity of these parents as parents, as the people who are supposed to guide their kids. I just can't fathom going to these (or any) deceiving lengths to advance my kids. Of course I want my kids to be successful in life, but I want them to get there on their own merits. That's what I try to equip them for with the way I parent. Part of that is letting them experience failure and how to come out of that for the better.
On top of that, if you prop them up like that, one day you'll have to let them go - and they won't have the skills themselves to stay where they're at, so they'll fall flat on their faces and end up worse than they would have been a few steps lower, but in their own strength. You're basically destroying a human and all their potential. That ticks me off, no matter how brainless some of these kids seem.

JMO

Just because it's been going on for decades or generations (which I doubt as far as the criminal side of this goes, which IMO is where the outrage lies, not with buying their way in through donations) doesn't mean we have to say "oh well just leave them at it" IMO. If that were true the mob would still be thriving.

JMO

Speaking of the "mob" they ARE still thriving...they just go by different names now. Just last night.
Gambino Crime Family Boss Frank 'Franky Boy' Cali Shot Dead Outside His Staten Island Home

Two Walton Heiresses live here in MU country. Their kids went to MU. Those brats got MU a nice new Basketball Arena, and a state of the art Ambulance among other things because of cheating scandals, etc.

JMO

^^ Time to get cracking down on lots of things! It might just be a drop in the ocean, but the day people won't even try to fight injustice anymore is the day they need to stop this planet and let me off (hello Elon Musk? How are those Mars flights coming along? ;) ).

JMO
Using photoshop to put your child’s face on a disabled body is something that has come with technology. I view it not only as criminal, but oh so desperate on the parents part.

Boston investigators had different case, then college scheme came up

Boston investigators had different case, then college bribery scandal came up - The Boston Globe

It started, improbably, with a securities fraud investigation out of Boston, a so-called pump-and-dump stock scam that extended overseas.

FBI agents and federal prosecutors quickly homed in on a financial executive, according to several people familiar with the case, who said he was willing to cooperate with authorities. He also offered investigators a tantalizing tip, one entirely unrelated to stock prices — a Yale University women’s soccer coach had asked him for a bribe to help get his daughter admitted into the elite school.

When I went to the U of Minn and was taking microbiology, we had to read books that were on reserve in the library.

The premed students would razor blade the articles out of the book so others could not read it. Getting into med school was very competetive. .

Another reminder of the wonders of the internet and computers for higher education and learning. Remember when your research paper was dependent on which books your library had on the shelves and you had to type them on a typewriter, with carbon copies? We did have white-out though.

Last edited:
Boston investigators had different case, then college scheme came up

Boston investigators had different case, then college bribery scandal came up - The Boston Globe

It started, improbably, with a securities fraud investigation out of Boston, a so-called pump-and-dump stock scam that extended overseas.

FBI agents and federal prosecutors quickly homed in on a financial executive, according to several people familiar with the case, who said he was willing to cooperate with authorities. He also offered investigators a tantalizing tip, one entirely unrelated to stock prices — a Yale University women’s soccer coach had asked him for a bribe to help get his daughter admitted into the elite school.

This is why I don't invest in the stock market anymore.

It seems rather dishonest that this scandal is being reported as focused primarily on Hollywood actors, when most of those suspected or guilty of criminal behavior aren't in the entertainment business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkme