Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link! I'm not finished reading yet, but wanted encourage people to read the doc. Don't neglect the footnotes.

And this is just for probable cause. There is more to come.

Okay, back to reading....

jmo

It is very interesting. Some kids were cc'd on emails or were party to the phone calls., and of course, others had someone sit with them and give them SAT answers.

Good to see that it is all documented.

The Sephora link says:
0 Product results: “productnotcarried”
*POOF* it's gone.

Sephora halts partnership with Lori Loughlin's daughter

Sephora Cosmetics today said it is ending its partnership with the daughter of Actress Lori Loughlin, who is charged in a large national college admissions cheating scheme.

"After careful review of recent developments, we have made the decision to end the Sephora Collection partnership with Olivia Jade, effective immediately," Sephora said in a statement to Business Insider.

I live where there are trust fund adults. They do zero. Why should they. They spend their life drinking and smoking mj which is illegal here.

I have heard it is the same on tropical islands all over the world. They are so entitled. One continually blogs how stupid everyone is that is in the rat race. He does not need money and material things, He is so much more evolved than the rest of us.

It helps to have his family money as he travels the world. His brother caretakes one of the homes of a super rich heir to a big fortune.

Bill Gates has been here on his yacht that has a submarine and a helicopter. The Google yacht was here for several weeks.

Russians come as well.

The Japanese saying is that the first generation makes the money, the second spends it, and the third generation loses it all.

The money some have is nothing we can fathom, Remember, one billion is a thousand million.

A mere billionaire does not even make the richest people list.

This is one of the hardest threads I've followed on WS because it's hard to refrain from sharing personal stories. I'm sure I'm not alone - most of us have some story about college admission, college courses, networking, connections, integrity vs. unfairness, etc. I know we're not supposed to make cases personal and usually that isn't hard....but with this case, it's hard.

I've never deleted so many posts on a thread before submitting them as I have on this thread. :)

jmo

I live where there are trust fund adults. They do zero. Why should they. They spend their life drinking and smoking mj which is illegal here.

I have heard it is the same on tropical islands all over the world. They are so entitled. One continually blogs how stupid everyone is that is in the rat race. He does not need money and material things, He is so much more evolved than the rest of us.

It helps to have his family money as he travels the world. His brother caretakes one of the homes of a super rich heir to a big fortune.

Bill Gates has been here on his yacht that has a submarine and a helicopter. The Google yacht was here for several weeks.

Russians come as well.

The Japanese saying is that the first generation makes the money, the second spends it, and the third generation loses it all.

The money some have is nothing we can fathom, Remember, one billion is a thousand million.

A mere billionaire does not even make the richest people list.
Keep 'em there!

:)

Someone posted that Kyle Richard's daughter is at Georgetown, with a potential implication that they may be involved.
Her daughter goes to GWU not Georgetown. As far as I know GWU has not been implicated.

Someone posted that Kyle Richard's daughter is at Georgetown, with a potential implication that they may be involved.
Her daughter goes to GWU not Georgetown. As far as I know GWU has not been implicated.
?? Not sure what your quote has to do with my post that you replied to. Did you intend to reply to a different quote?

Edited: I see you edited your post so now this one doesn't make sense. Glitch in the system, perhaps.

Last edited:
I think in the case of someone like the Loughlin- Gianuuli daughter, I think the need for the status school is for the social-business contacts that foster making money.

Olivia Jade clearly doesn’t deem being educated a necessity in her life or even to futher “her” ( daddy’s ) vlog business, but her parents clearly felt it was worth the $1,000,000 investment.

And being able to spend spring break on the yacht with a highly influential billionaire’s daughter seems to reflect the success of that goal.

USC, in particular, but clearly also Georgetown, too need to re-think what their mission is. But they’ll have to take the $$$$$$$$ goggles off first.

Arena Renamed After Wal-Mart Heiress Scandal

From 2004:

"Elizabeth Paige Laurie's billionaire parents gave up naming rights to the $75-million basketball venue, which was built with $25 million from the Lauries and opened three weeks ago."

"Then, last week, Paige Laurie's freshman roommate at USC, Elena Martinez, revealed that Laurie paid her about $20,000 over 3 1/2 years to write papers and complete other work for her. The Laurie family has said Paige Laurie's college record is a private matter."

Arena Renamed After Wal-Mart Heiress Scandal

This was in the same time frame that the Kroenke's wanted their Son (Cousin) to play basketball at MU.

JMO

Waruguru Ndirangu is a senior at UCLA and says she's heard the same qualms from a friend who was rejected from Stanford.

"At the time she just felt like, OK there's probably better people, more competitive people," Ndirangu says. "But now, knowing that like people could just pay their way in and take her spot, it's really disheartening."

Ndirangu says it's especially infuriating to her, as a student of color.

"People say that we only get in because of affirmative action, or that we don't deserve to be here," she says. "So it's ironic that the people telling us this actually paid their way into here.”

Waruguru Ndirangu, UCLA senior

Getting it all on the table now, Ndirangu says, may be something of a silver lining to the scandal. "Now they can't tell us s*** about how we got in here," she says. "I feel like for us, it kind of takes that chip off of our shoulder from these accusations. To see the script flip like that, it kind of feels good to be honest."

Students of wealth will always have a better shot

On the other side of the country, on the campus of Boston College, students express similar frustration and cynicism.

Selena Bemak is applying to grad school at Boston College. As she sees it, the news that a few dozen bad apples were busted yesterday is less of a comfort than a reminder of how much she and other less privileged students are up against.

"I will always worry in back of mind," Bemak says, that students of greater wealth and privilege will have a better shot than she does. Yesterday's arrests, "could not have cleaned up [the corruption] entirely. There's no way they could have."

Bemak is among the many who also worry about the cheating and fraud that happens on a smaller scale every day, by people embellishing their applications, for example, or overstating how many hours they volunteer, or the awards they got.

Hard as it is to verify every detail of every application, senior Caitlin Connor says it's up to schools to do a better job of policing and deterring that. Then, she says, "students would be more hesitant to lie on their application, when they know that certain schools are doing something like spot checks and things like that."

I mean the world's not fair. A lot of people are going to be doing crooked things to get into college. That's just how the world works. All you can do is do your best, and hope for the best.

"We've always known that people with more power and influence are able to get away with things that they shouldn't be able to," says Valadez. "But my first reaction was 'why all of the sudden are they facing repercussions for it?' That's the part that was surprising to me."

Because they committed fraud by paying the fake charity and then committing fraud on their taxes, confirming it in the taped conversations.

And they weren’t the first, by any means. This was just the group that got caught when the SEC started investigating Key Worldwide.

Right now there are probably a hundred other organized college entrance scams out there with thousands of participants. These were just the ones that were caught

Because they committed fraud by paying the fake charity and then committing fraud on their taxes, confirming it in the taped conversations.

And they weren’t the first, by any means. This was just the group that got caught when the SEC started investigating Key Worldwide.

Right now there are probably a hundred other organized college entrance scams out there with thousands of participants. These were just the ones that were caught
Right. This case is about commiting crimes, not using influence and wealth to advantage. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missTaken16