NC NC - Abby Patterson, 20, Lumberton, 5 Sept 2017

My theory is that someone (probably boyfriend) drove Abby to an NA meeting in Lumberton. According to na.org, they meet in Lumberton at Our Primary Purpose Building, 120 W 6th Street. They meet almost every day, also Tuesdays, at 12.00 PM. She left her house 11.30 AM.
Now the way to the NA meeting goes RIGHT THROUGH the area where three victims of most likely the same killer were found, and the area is a hot spot for drugs and stuff. This could be relevant but I don't think it is. She would often go through that area on the way to "downtown" Lumberton.

I'm not sure if police are allowed to say if her destination was an NA meeting, as they are anonymous, but that could be why they won't say anything about where she was dropped off even though they know.

She could have met someone at that meeting, and they could have made plans to go somewhere to do drugs or whatever. At that point she could have overdosed. Heroin addicts often OD when they do it again after a long break. And maybe that other person she might have been with covered it up instead of going to the authorities...?

What do you think?

:) Welcome to Websleuths, levski!! We're glad you're here! :)

And thanks for the info.

I don't post a lot lot on the forums, but I've been around the site for quite some time. That said, this case bothers me. It's really unfortunate that there are so many problems in Lumberton yet no one wants to solve them. Like a previous poster said, the town offers little in the way of making real money from jobs and as a result, crime and drugs exude from it.

There's obviously a strong reason LE didn't disclose where the acquaintance dropped Abby off. Most of the time LE will state the last known whereabouts of a missing person, and not doing that in this case is telling - either that they do not believe Abby stayed where her friend dropped her off (maybe he saw her walk down the street and he only dropped her off at that location i.e. they know she isn't in that area) or they have a lead at that location they don't want to compromise (big drug bust or prostitution ring).

Some people get hooked on drugs and it's not uncommon to have to go through rehab multiple times to finally kick it. Abby was young and it's unfortunate that she got into drugs, but it shouldn't have meant she couldn't have a life beyond it. I feel for her mother who essentially watched her drive away right before she disappeared.

I hope that Abby can be found. I hope LE and the FBI get a handle on whatever is going on in that city. Crime won't disappear overnight, but things look to be getting out of control there, whether there is actually a serial killer or it's pimping at its worst, something has to change to protect those people.

17552300_G.jpg

FBI creates ‘missing’ poster for Lumberton woman last seen one year ago

Why did she move back home?

She had just been at the beach with her family the day before looking happy and healthy. Then she leaves the next morning intending to only be gone an hour. She wasn't dressed for a jog, so there are only a few things you dip out for an hour for that I can think of:

1. Cigarettes
2. Groceries
3. Coffee
4. A fix
5. Feed someone's pet
6. Emergency

Another thing, on the 16th she says she is going back to Jacksonville to live, indicating she was somewhere other than Jacksonville (NC?). She posts a video two days later of her back yard. Where is that? It has a giant pond ringed with trees only steps from her back steps.

Finally, on Aug 26th she posts a picture of a cake "this guy" made her. She has what seems to be a boyfriend in Lancaster SC, BE, who she has a selfie with on July 9th.

On June 24th she was in Fort Lawn, SC.

So when did she arrive in NC? A clearer picture of her movements leading up to this can help us get an idea of where she has friends, why she was moving around so much, and where she could be now.

Now for the drug connection, I believe Abby did not do drugs as her friend/family is telling us and we should respect that. (At least definitely not heroin). Her friend Christina overdosed this past summer which is likely where the interest in drug prevention is coming from. If you read Christina's timeline, look for a post by JH around the time she was found. It is unclear if Abby was in Florida when it happened but she was not already in NC since her family is saying they miss her in comments under Abby's memorial post about Christina.

Abby was last seen getting into a brown Buick in the area of East 9th Street in Lumberton, according to Captain Terry Parker with Lumberton police. Who might own the brown buick? I agree with Cherry, her cell phone records are important here. What do the pings say? When did activity stop?

Wonder if the pond in the pic/video is the same one that they drained? And why is the guys house (BL) in a picture? Would this be a mobile home (manufactured/single/double wide/etc) type?

Welcome casesneedclosing! Would that person who should be shaking in his boots happen to have a first name that starts with O? Also, do you know anything about Twister’s disappearance? I have a line on someone possibly involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you spoken to the police about your suspicions?

"Shortly after Patterson's disappearance last year, Samantha Lovette, Patterson’s mother, said neighbors saw Patterson get into a car down the street from Lovette's home. Police describe the person in the car as an "acquaintance."

The driver told police that Patterson was dropped off at another location, but police declined to say where that was."

I wonder why they are being so secretive about where she was dropped off. The driver was described as an "acquaintance", so not a friend?

Thanks for the article, Gardener.

That's good news and bad news, isn't it? It's good that she is on that special list -- maybe it will help. Sometimes one person can make a comment about someone and it could break the whole case. Let's hope.
And yes, she has been gone an entire year. What can her mother possibly think every time the phone rings or there is a knock at the door? Do people still ask her about Abby? How can she answer the question, "Is there any news about Abby?" Same thing every time.
And our Abby -- is she still walking and talking here on this earth?

Thank you! I was searching my brain trying to remember Abby's name. I don't see a connection but the close vicinity is worth noting on both cases.
JMO, MOO, etc
Yes, it is worth noting. I was born and raised in Lumberton, left to go to college and have lived elsewhere ever since. My hometown had so very little to offer me.

Many of us throughout the US, have seen good changes in our hometowns and some of us have seen negative changes. Nearly all the factories have moved out of the Lumberton area and other businesses have closed due to lack of business. Towns like this don't have a lot of revenue to improve infrastructure to attract new business.
There is very little there for those with only a HS education or less than a HS diploma unless the individual has family connections. A lot of the area around L'ton is rural, but probably not everyone wants to work on the family farm.
So, other types of "businesses" have developed. Families near or in poverty usually increase, as do drugs and crime.
Other than sharing time with her mom, Abby probably saw nothing for her in Lumberton during her visit there. She may have just been looking for a bit of fun or excitement for an hour or so when she took that ride -- and she probably ran into trouble she didn't expect.

Last edited:
7 days after kidnapping, reward rises to $20K in Hania Aguilar case :: WRAL.com

Samantha Lovette says she can imagine the pain Hania’s mother feels.

“You don’t have any clue of the kind of anguish and pain from a mother’s heart,” Lovette said.

Lovette’s daughter, 21-year-old Abby Patterson, disappeared last September after police said she got into a brown Buick on East 9th Street in Lumberton.

Police have searched for Patterson, but she hasn’t been seen since.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back