GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
On second thoughts, about Becky the Prosecutor, I think allowing the defendant to interrupt her can also be a good thing. One the one hand, the jury does not get the full benefit of the question, but on the other hand, allowing the witness to answer the question that she thinks is being asked is also an interesting way of finding out what the defendant wants to say. It seems a bit like voluntary declarations, which can be revealing in themselves. The prosecutor can always come back and ask the rest of the question a second time later.

I'm watching the testimony from the sister. They sure don't look alike and Amanda wearing her clothes suggests to me that she was wearing her own clothes underneath her sister's clothes. Did Amanda lose her shoes that night? ... or was she wearing her sisters' shoes? Her shoe was broken so she needed new shoes? What the theory on the shoes?

The sister seems sad about the whole situation, and it does appear that she wants to do the same thing. The fact that she did not come forward sooner can be understood. She said that she's not good with numbers so she can't say how old her 21 year old son was four years ago, or was it two years ago. It also sounds like she moved away from that home, and the prosecutor asked about the name of her husband at the time. I think this had a huge impact on her life. She made the wrong decision in not notifying police immediately upon learning that her sister was involved in a murder, but she does repeatedly say that she wanted to believe that Laura wasn't dead. She has similar phrases to Amanda, and she interrupts a bit too, so I think they must get it from their mother. What do we know about her other than that she passed away shortly before the murder and she left Amanda with nothing. How did she die? Amanda certainly benefited from her husband's murder, and now she was looking to benefit from Laura's murder.

The defense counsel is pretty good at leading. I'm surprised (in watching the sister's testimony) that the prosecution waits ... let's them present their evidence, even if it is the witness saying little more than "yes" to all the specific questions.

I have to admit to getting sidetracked Saturday when I followed the Michael Dunn trial. I spent the weekend catching up on the previous two days and couldn't drop it. I hadn't followed it as closely as this case, but it got to me in a big way.

I did have time to listen to a lot of the direct and cross of Amanda and am catching up right now. I can only take it in small doses at this point, she's so obnoxious!

I'll be live with you all here at 11 while sitting verdict watch in the other trial, now that the huge mess that was my computer is functional again! It pays to have a techie DH at times like this.

from Otto: " Amanda certainly benefited from her husband's murder, . . ."

Is there a record of her husband having been murdered? Have read conjecture here, but think there was no inquiry or accusation after the accident and his death months later. What Amanda said about it on the stand is unchallenged. Anybody know different?

Ed Crump ‏@EdCrumpABC11 3h

Wake County's court system opens at 11 AM. The Amanda Hayes murder trial will resume then as well.

ABC 11

Sliding into this thread from the Dunn thread as I hear peeps are coming here during the Dunn verdict watch! :seeya:

What are the live link options to watch this as I don't see at the top of the this thread posted by the mod. And love having until 11 am in different time zone to GET STUFF DONE around the house this am :giggle:

TIA

Sliding into this thread from the Dunn thread as I hear peeps are coming here during the Dunn verdict watch! :seeya:

What are the live link options to watch this as I don't see at the top of the this thread posted by the mod. And love having until 11 am in different time zone to GET STUFF DONE around the house this am :giggle:

TIA

:seeya: No live links until the trial starts, but here are the channel links who are carrying the trial.

http://www.wral.com/

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/index

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/

WRAL.com archive: Laura Ackerson murder case
http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/

TIA

This one is live now with pix of the courthouse. It will go live when jury returns, IIRC at 9 Eastern.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4903803/events/2749073

Happy Valentine's Day peeps!!! I wonder if Steely is going to get all us ladies chocolates and flowers?

:loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou:

:valentine: :valentine: :valentine:

Good morning WS Friends.

So glad to be joining you today.
Justice for LA!

Happy Valentine's Day peeps!!! I wonder if Steely is going to get all us ladies chocolates and flowers?

Well shoot, does he need contact info?
Can always use more chocolates! Oh yeah, flowers are very nice also...:giggle:

:heart: Happy Vday all! :heart:

Well shoot, does he need contact info?
Can always use more chocolates! Oh yeah, flowers are very nice also...:giggle:

:heart: Happy Vday all! :heart:

Ohhhhhhhh! He's offline right now, so he must be out in the snow getting us our gifts! :giggle: AN-TI-CI-PA-TION! We'll just have to sit and wait for his return to be surprised by what Steely brings us!!!!

:fence:

Steely is posting on the Dunn thread I think. He's bringing flowers and chocolates for everyone there!

On second thoughts, about Becky the Prosecutor, I think allowing the defendant to interrupt her can also be a good thing. One the one hand, the jury does not get the full benefit of the question, but on the other hand, allowing the witness to answer the question that she thinks is being asked is also an interesting way of finding out what the defendant wants to say. It seems a bit like voluntary declarations, which can be revealing in themselves. The prosecutor can always come back and ask the rest of the question a second time later.

I'm watching the testimony from the sister. They sure don't look alike and Amanda wearing her clothes suggests to me that she was wearing her own clothes underneath her sister's clothes. Did Amanda lose her shoes that night? ... or was she wearing her sisters' shoes? Her shoe was broken so she needed new shoes? What the theory on the shoes?

The sister seems sad about the whole situation, and it does appear that she wants to do the same thing. The fact that she did not come forward sooner can be understood. She said that she's not good with numbers so she can't say how old her 21 year old son was four years ago, or was it two years ago. It also sounds like she moved away from that home, and the prosecutor asked about the name of her husband at the time. I think this had a huge impact on her life. She made the wrong decision in not notifying police immediately upon learning that her sister was involved in a murder, but she does repeatedly say that she wanted to believe that Laura wasn't dead. She has similar phrases to Amanda, and she interrupts a bit too, so I think they must get it from their mother. What do we know about her other than that she passed away shortly before the murder and she left Amanda with nothing. How did she die? Amanda certainly benefited from her husband's murder, and now she was looking to benefit from Laura's murder.

Yes, letting the defendant answer before the question has been fully asked is one way to, maybe, see into the mind of the answerer, if they make mistakes. IMO Amanda's answers were all self serving and the State attorney failed to re ask the question if that wasn't exactly what the State was asking. Instead the State moved on. The only time she stuck to her guns was about what Amanda thought was happening on that boat in the dead of night. I was very disappointed with the State's cross.

Ed Crump ‏@EdCrumpABC11 3h

Wake County's court system opens at 11 AM. The Amanda Hayes murder trial will resume then as well.

ABC 11

:loveyou: surfie. WAT is driving me nuts with a dead white screen when I try to shortcut to what used to be AH's trail on WAT. I'm gonna assume when court is about to begin WAT will wake up...:banghead:

Yes, letting the defendant answer before the question has been fully asked is one way to, maybe, see into the mind of the answerer, if they make mistakes. IMO Amanda's answers were all self serving and the State attorney failed to re ask the question if that wasn't exactly what the State was asking. Instead the State moved on. The only time she stuck to her guns was about what Amanda thought was happening on that door in the dead of night. I was very disappointed with the State's cross.

Yeah, sadly, AH was steering the ship. However, astute jurors will take note that AH is willful and in charge of the goings-on around her. I hope they get how significant that is.

Good morning everybody and Happy Valentine's Day!
Thanks to you good folks who posted the delayed trial time for this morning. I'm happy they didn't cancel out again today even though road conditions are still not good in my area, hopefully better in Raleigh.

Yeah, sadly, AH was steering the ship. However, astute jurors will take note that AH is willful and in charge of the goings-on around her. I hope they get how significant that is.

Another positive is that her overtalking BH during questioning and answering before BH finished the questions shows a marked assertive and almost aggressive personality trait. Not a Stepford Wife trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500