Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I saw that photo without knowing who he is I wouldn't think much of it. It doesn't look significantly dirty and just that single snapshot didn't show me anything unsafe or unsanitary. I wonder if some of us are seeing things that aren't there based on our emotions about little Mariah.
I don't get any negative feelings after seeing that photo, I might be in the minority here but that pic doesn't transmit anything nefarious to me.

I want to make it very clear I am in no way defending the mother here - but we have a problem with mom letting a boyfriend move in and be around the children - why do we not have a problem with bio dad moving in with a girlfriend and being around the children. The papers stated she did not want his girlfriend to watch the kids while he was at work. I think that is a legit reason - though of course we don't know if that was really a truthful reason on her part or not.

Didnt the papers say that she said AW's girlfriend had cancer and was always falling down or something like that, to which AW said it wasn't true? I thought that was her reason for not wanting the girlfriend to watch the kids.

Yes to the jealousy. By all accounts SHE left HIM but didn't want to see him moving on or being happy. I can't believe how long it took her to see EK for the leach that he was (assuming she has). I think as soon as he moved on to poor little Mariah, she realized that was what was keeping him there and happy. IMO, she used Mariah for his pleasure and then became jealous when he didn't need anything from her. I have to believe there is a special place in hell.

Given how jealous she appeared to be of AW's partner, (allegedly trying to run her over, refusing to let her children stay with their dad past year), she must have been seething about EK being at Thanksgiving with his ex. and his baby. Did she do something to grab attention? Did she do something out of anger about not having control over EK? I think jealousy is written all over her.

Given how jealous she appeared to be of AW's partner, (allegedly trying to run her over, refusing to let her children stay with their dad past year), she must have been seething about EK being at Thanksgiving with his ex. and his baby. Did she do something to grab attention? Did she do something out of anger about not having control over EK? I think jealousy is written all over her.

Early on, when I first saw that pic, I thought the same thing.

I'm new too, we'll see if that worked. This was the pic in question (that I'm totally not obsessed with, I swear). Clearly not nodding off here, so unlikely the possible mess/reflection on the near corner of glass table is drug residue (esp pot, heroin or meth in my humble undereducated in this regard opinion). But you are absolutely right that when one is nodding off, or even "higher than a Georgia Pine", there would be more possiblity of a half-used stash being left out to be accessed by little ones. Again, IMHO.

ETA: I don't think Mariah got into drugs in this case at all and don't intend to bring the pic endlessly. I am just a long time lurker who was also once upon a time a local to this area; so this picture conversation prompted me to register finally.

I had to chime in. That is a glass top table with a metal base. I use to have smaller one in my living room. IMO what everyone is seeing as lines is just a reflection of the metal base in the glass top. I can clearly make out the outline of the metal base it is standing on and see that it corresponds with what everyone sees as lines. It obvious to me because, well I looked at one like it everyday. LOL

The only double standard I see is KW expecting AW to work and provide support for her, their 3 kids and EK while KW and EK stayed home.

I want to make it very clear I am in no way defending the mother here - but we have a problem with mom letting a boyfriend move in and be around the children - why do we not have a problem with bio dad moving in with a girlfriend and being around the children. The papers stated she did not want his girlfriend to watch the kids while he was at work. I think that is a legit reason - though of course we don't know if that was really a truthful reason on her part or not.

If I saw that photo without knowing who he is I wouldn't think much of it. It doesn't look significantly dirty and just that single snapshot didn't show me anything unsafe or unsanitary. I wonder if some of us are seeing things that aren't there based on our emotions about little Mariah.

I agree. Would also note that pupil dilation/contraction, dopey or exaggerated smiles, etc., are not on their own convincing "tells" of drug use, let alone reliable indicators of *specific* drug use. This looks like a pretty standard snap to me.

Not that I'm arguing against drug use/addiction as a factor in this case. It absolutely may be, and time (and evidence) will tell, I guess.

Didnt the papers say that she said AW's girlfriend had cancer and was always falling down or something like that, to which AW said it wasn't true? I thought that was her reason for not wanting the girlfriend to watch the kids.

I had a hard time figuring that part out - I thought that was referencing when they went to court originally regarding the custody arrangement and that is why he got just weekends - but I could be wrong. It is kinda hard to figuring out the complete picture because all that was provided in documents was his responses - we did not see her part of the documents.

Your post sounds wonderful on the suface but it is missing some vital information. The machanics of domestic violence/abuse are much more complicated than this post depicts. In the beginning an abuser presents as Prince Charming he/she woos the future victim and goes above and beyond to win them over. They are passionate and considerate, fulfilling wishes and dreams like no one ever has before. Giving the future victim a false sense of safety and comfort. Once the victim is in the trap, a process begins of making the future victim totally dependent on them and separating them from family and friends who could be a support system.

None of this occurs overnight. It is a slow steady process that is almost imperceptible to the victim.(often only seen in retrospect) In this honeymoon phase they are wonderful with the children (there are often children as they make controlling the victim easier), so very attentive and generous. It starts small, the insults and put downs beginning to erode self confidence. “If it wasn’t for me you would lose your head” type moments. What would you do without me? Moving to, you just can’t do anything right. Once the victim has been separated from those who could help and their self esteem eroded the real game begins.

The “I didn’t mean to hurt you” phase. Begins with the playful pinch that bruises or the finger thumped on the chest to make a point. Eventually leading to the first violent outburst. This will be the first time the victim is choked, hit, punched, kicked, or cut. (Biting probably occurred earlier) After this first incident the abuser will apologize profusely, often with gifts and always with some sort of promise to kill or do self harm rather than risk ever hurting the victim again.There will be begging and pleading for forgiveness and the interjection that the victim somehow “made” them do it. The victim, having never seen this frog side of their Prince Charming begins to believe that they must be somehow responsible for this behavior. So they forgive.

Once the abuser has weathered the initial storm things begin to move faster. They become more critical and demanding. They fast track the erosion of any remaining self confidence the victim has and now they have managed to isolate them, there is no support system to help. The next violent outburst will come soon. It will be worse. It will be followed by the same tearful apology perhaps with treats of suicide to keep it from happening again. The blame will lie squarely on the victim. The victim somehow “made” the abuser do it. They must be right because the victim believes they could not have been that wrong about the person they fell in love with. The Prince Charming they knew could not have been this ugly violent little person, so it must be something they did that was the cause. Once the victim appears to have forgiven the abuser the behavior will change, yet again. Now along with the increased criticism and demands with be the threats. If you ever left me threats, the ones that start closing off all thoughts of escape because now it isn’t a matter of leaving, it would be an escape.

The threats cover a lot of territory, they will take the children away, they will make sure the victim never sees the children again, the victim would be killed before being allowed to leave and my favorite the No matter how long it takes I will hunt you down threat. The fact that the victim usually has little to no access to significant financial assists, or support system, and has been psychologically groomed to lose self-confidence and esteem as well as problem solving skills and the threats are real. Up until this point the children have usually been doated upon by the abuser again giving the victim a false sense of security. How could they take the children away from a parent or parental figure who seems to treat them so well, who loves them and is loved by the children. But........

It is a false sense of security because just as sure as the apologies followed early outbursts the children will become a target. It too will start small. The discipline that went just over the line. Not far but just enough to test the victims response. Enough to see if they are totally in the control of the abuser. Of course the apologies follow and the excuses and it doesn’t appear “that” big of a deal. The play that got too rough the little tap that made the child fall. Nothing the victim could see as intentional. It too will increase as the abuser sees he victim is unable to see it for what it really is. Now the threats include secrets, if you ever tell anyone they won’t believe you. You will lose the children. They build until the treats become “I will kill the children before you or anyone could take them away from me.

The victim’s biggest fear is now not their own life but that this monster could get the children and without the victim there to intercede, to try to protect them, god knows what might happen to them. It becomes an inner battle of how to keep the children the safest. In sight where the victim can and does actually put themselves in harms way to try to protect them or take the risk that if they leave, the abuser could and would make good on threats. Life is now 2 tiered. On one hand when life with the abuser is not violent the children are well taken care of and life can be good until something sets the abuser off on the next tirade. The incidents may come often and consistently result in the same level of violence and minor injuries or they can get longer periods of time between incidents and the degree of violence and injuries increase.

Anyone, man woman or child caught up in the horrible cycle of abuse as a victim should not be expected to have the same rational thoughts and abilities to escape as someone who has had the good fortune to not have suffered this fate. It is easy to armchair quarterback how easy the decision to leave should be. I hope that those who have such narrow vision of just how easy that decision should be never has to find out first hand the sad hard truth. I hope that those who can be so judgemental never have a daughter or sister or someone they love in this situation. It is true that until the victim reaches a certain point you can not force help upon them. Just like the alcoholic who is in the control of the disease and can’t be helped until they want it. A victim of abuse can’t be helped until they believe help is possilbe. They have to believe that leaving IS a safer, better choice than staying with the monster they know.

Different things can give that hope back to victims. Some never find the point where hope returns. Many die at the hands of their abuser, many more wish they would and some lose one or more children to them. It is not a choice of keeping a man over their children. It is simply survival. I don’t know if the mother was a victim of Domestic violence in this case. All I know is when I read through her FB early on I saw indicators, not proof just indicators that it could be a possibility. If that is the case I hope she gets all of the counseling and help possible to move to a place of good mental health that will help her move. forward in her life and grieve the lives taken (yes iives, victims are just the walking dead without help). If she was not, then she needs to be prosecuted for her part in whatever actually happened to Mariah.

I know how hard the decision to escape is and how difficult and long that climb back to the living is. Fortunately, I had that moment of clarity and hope that allowed my daughter and I to escape a long time ago. I no longer see abuse every place I look and am willing to see not all relationships include abuse. Everytime a parent or parental figure is involved in the unnatural death of a child I no longer automatically assume Domestic Violence is to blame. However, I do understand it is more likely to have occurred in these situations and needs to be evaluated as a possibility.

People who know me now and didn’t way back in my darker days can not believe that the outspoken, independant, Grouchymom of today could have ever been such a meek cowed down victim in my past. A wise woman told me when I needed it most that the best way to get even was to get ahead and I was fortunate enough after a few years of finding myself to find a husband that was supportive, patient, understanding and willing to help me on the path moving forrward to strength and self worth. (Although I am sure there have been times I the last 25 years he wished I was a little less outspoken LOL )

JMHO

That is the best thing I have ever read on domestic violence. It is clear and outlines the steps perfectly.

The Prince Charming. I asked a social worker once why women go with these loser guys. The ones I knew had no job.

She said to be wary of a man when you date that is way too nice. Flowers everday. Gifts.

I have to admit when I read that she knew the little child was having oral sex, I lost any sympathy. I think of all of the lucky children in loving homes and little Mariah who was born into hedouble l

AW claimed that was a lie that KW was saying (that HC had cancer) and that it wasn't safe for HC to be watching them.

The only double standard I see is KW expecting AW to work and provide support for her, their 3 kids and EK while KW and EK stayed home.

I don't have a clue if he was paying support or not - nothing in the custody documents indicated he was paying support. Really doesn't matter my point is we tend to not have a problem with dad moving in with girlfriend - but have a problem with mom moving in with a guy.

Would that signify the trial is off to a shaky start, having to vote on probable cause? It gives me that flavour.

I think what they have charged is solid but until the final autopsy comes out we don’t know for sure that we can prove a murder. If it is inconclusive to accidental death or homicide then yes this case would be in the toilet without a credible eye witness.

Even a skull fracture that could be from a fall as opposed to definite blunt force trauma for example could be reasonable doubt to a jury. With the amount of decomposition after 5 days in the water with the warm days we had is going to make a definitive COD and TOD (day not hour) difficult. It will aslo reduce th amount of insect predation making TOD more difficult especially if the body was submerged all or most of the time. They can make MOD as homicide even if they can’t prove murder because if someone tripped or caused her to fall and hit her head it would be at th hands of another (the classic definition of homicide) and yet be an accident.

Let’s just hope the autopsy will be able to come back with clear cut COD and MOD.

JMHO

The only problem I have the child in panties only is if the story changed - she was in pjs no she was just in underwear. I don't think it is that big of a deal for a 3 year old to sleep in just panties or run around in the privacy of their own home in just panties. Some little ones just don't like clothes - I know from experience as I had one of those children lol.

Had one of those myself. We'd look out back and mine would be chasing butterflies in the nude. :facepalm:

which is a shame because it did not physically harm them and the same cant be said on moms side... however. she was returned the kids when there were substantial abuse allegations so who knows.

I think AW also is going to have trouble because he released the confidential CPS documents.

(Lame....)

(Eta: C'mon Women! You/ We are stronger than that!!)

Kids=#1, #2
Woman/Mother/Goddess/Self=#1, #2 (as well)
Man=bottom of the totem pole as related to the above equation, jmo. (That's great if you have a partner bla bla, ykwim, gotta love Yourself and your Child first, moo.)

Love yourself, Love others....that's all I've got right now.
(Eta: woo-hoo I've come a long way in 5 years for real!)

"Teach, your children well...."
(Good song, right up there with "Age of Aquarius"...and "C'mon people now, smile on your brother..."
Gotta admit though hard to smile on EK right now...)

I don't want to end up living in hate and anger :(

Little Mariah, help teach us Love, Patience and Understanding.... :heartbeat:

(Is it just me, or does my post resemble the posting style of CARIIS tonight :heart: )

Totally what I was thinking!

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic here but I have a sneaking suspicion that Earl didn't actually kill her. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking her death may have been intentional at all. So far as I am aware a M.E. is able to make a determination as to manner of death pretty quickly, COD can take a little time if there are not obvious injuries. Just look at the Caylee Anthony case, Dr G was able to announce manner of death I believe the day after Caylee's autopsy (please correct me if I'm wrong about that). Since they have Earl is custody and if there was any evidence to even merely suggest he was responsible for her death I would imagine they would have laid those charges on him by now. I know it isn't a popular opinion since everyone wants to hang Earl but I think he may very well be innocent.

This isn't a complex mystery IMO. DNA tests of her body to determine whose DNA came into contact with her will help determine who did what to her and thus who should be charged and what the charges should be.

They can take a while as we've seen in other cases.

I'm betting they have a good idea of what the COD is however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona