ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
startribune.com Close window

Suspect's sister asked police to keep an eye on Rodriguez

Associated Press
Published 12/07/2003

CROOKSTON, Minn. - The sister of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. pleaded with Crookston police to keep tabs on her brother after his release from prison in May because she feared he might strike again.

Rodriguez, 50, has been charged with kidnapping in the disappearance of Dru Sjodin, 22. The University of North Dakota student has been missing since Nov. 22 when police believe she was abducted from a mall parking lot in Grand Forks, N.D.

Rodriguez's sister, Ileana, called Sgt. Gerry Moreno several times following her brother's completion of a 23-year prison term for stabbing and trying to kidnap a woman. She asked Moreno to keep her brother locked up or away from the community.

© Copyright 2003 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Edited for copyright infringement. Please only post 20% of an article and then attach the URL to the article. FreeRepublic.com recently lost a copyright suit. (My kids are spoiled, they won't understand if we have to move into a tent, LOL).

Originally posted by starpatch
Rodriguez, a convicted rapist who the state of Minnesota classified as the most dangerous type of sex offender, faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 4, and arraignment on Feb. 6.

Wow.. why so long for a hearing and arraignment?? February?

Cass...

I can't imagine the anguish Dru's family is experiencing. They must feel so helpless, knowing their Dru is out there, somewhere, and no idea where to find her.

I was surprised when I read the article above, as I had read previously about him being seen by the neighbors playing with her children often in the front yard. Why would she leave her elderly Mom exposed to him, why would she let her children be? Why would they give him access to a vehicle and a pretty nice one at that, if they had such concerns. Nothing is making sense.

maybe it's a different sister?
I dunno but I'd definately NOT let my children/mother/family around this man. He's dangerous and they should have NEVER let him out!

Originally posted by Love_Mama
Misty. They said they found Dru's blood in his car.

xxxxoo
mama

I heard that it was her blood type but not confirmed that it was hers. Has it been confirmed that it was hers?
Thanks,
Misty

Hi Miss Misty!

Happy Sunday Morning to all!

They havn't had confirmation yet on whether the blood in his car was Dru's. I did also hear this morning he was spotted in the parking lot on two video CCTV cameras the day she was taken. So the blood in his car and the film are two things they do have now. They didn't mention the knife sheath this morning, but we don't know it isn't still involved.

The attorney for Rodriguez will most likely accept a release of the sealed document tomorrow when he meets with his client. The prosecutor has no problems with it. This document shows the probable cause they had to ARREST him for kidnapping, which is what they did. Maybe they expect the DNA evidence to be back tomorrow - it has been two weeks. Like Lorie Dew on Fox said, they must have had their ducks in a row to actually arrest him with the specific warrant of kidnapping.

Then the searches now will not be community wide, but rather specific searches off of tips and leads they have gathered in the 2 weeks she has been gone. They said LE will concentrate on talking to those people who worked or associated with him to see if they could learn more about how he operates in his comfort zone.

They said often people who do things like this gain confidence in the areas where they work, live or travel. So she probably is somewhere in that area of his familiarity. The weather is bitter cold, and they are not only concerned with her survival in this weather, but also if she is dead her body quickly eroding and losing what evidence it held.

Her family will conduct their own search tomorrow. God bless them in their anguish. I can hear this in the fathers voice, along with the tenderness in his heart for his daughter. Sitting behind Rodriguez in court, I am amazed at his composure. It must be so difficult to control his emotions sitting 10 feet away from the guy the police had enough evidence on to arrest him for kidnapping his daughter.

:snowflake Scandi

Scandi ********They said LE will concentrate on talking to those people who worked or associated with him to see if they could learn more about how he operates in his comfort zone.*********

Yes, I agree, The AR's comfort zone will maybe tip the scales, as to Dru's whereabouts.....I am still praying, for her safe return.

I doubt he had an accomplise<SP>, that is not in his MO.

He has her so well hidden, maybe she is in a dump site that the plasterboard company used. But, I am sure that area has been combed thoroughly.

I am sure all of the Florida vactioneers homes have been checked as well.

Could she be in a lake or river, or, were those places all checked, and, maybe even frozen over. I do know, they did dive under a bridge, that was not frozen on the 22nd.

The Def attorney would be such a hero if he could convince the perp to tell the hiding place, it is not his job, but, it would be the decent thing to do.

I have thought and thought of where she could be....to no avail...same as LE

Great post, Scandi. I didn't mean to imply that Rodriguez is the wrong guy, but, I will feel so much better when I learn what it is exactly they have that makes LE think he is definitely the guy. Last night on Fox, one of the reporters was talking about how the searches are being scaled back and he mentioned that there is a growing amount of locals who wonder if he is the right guy. I'm just trying to keep an open mind.
Today is day 15...where are you, Dru?
Misty:boohoo:

Originally posted by starpatch

I am sure all of the Florida vactioneers homes have been checked as well.

Hi SP,
Can you tell me what you mean by the above? I think I missed something along the way because I don't know how Florida plays into this. I agree with you that he probably didn't have an accomplice however I wish he did...that might mean she is alive somewhere.
Misty

Originally posted by MissMisty
Hi SP,
Can you tell me what you mean by the above? I think I missed something along the way because I don't know how Florida plays into this. I agree with you that he probably didn't have an accomplice however I wish he did...that might mean she is alive somewhere.
Misty

What I meant by Florida, is that many northerners spend November thru March in Florida...they are called SnowBirds.

It is very common in Minnesota, Iowa, NoDak, SoDak and Wisc..plus Michigan....Many have homes there.

My folks did that every winter...my Iowa cousin has a houseboat there in Fla and leave in the Fall and come back to Iowa in the springtime.

Hi Joyce!

I forgot to tell you how interesting that was to read about his sister. I watch cable news so often and had heard nothing about this. She must have realized he was still haunted by the same sickness as before by watching and listening to him talk after he got out. It also was really interesting to find out the cop had gone to school with Rodriguez - man, what a small world, huh.

Gosh Joyce, I havn't been over to About for so long I am embarrased to go over there! My job now keeps me away for my sweet baby 'puter from 7am to 7pm LOL so I don't have all the time like I used to have. I keep thinking about Mom and her mother. I hope she is still alive. Did you ever hear anymore from Skov? Good to see you here! ;) .

Hi Miss Misty!

I agree with what you said. I think until this document becomes public everyone will wonder if he really is the guy. I mean think if you lived there and had daughters that resemble Dru and his previous vivtim who looked alot alike. I think Dru's family is mainly Norske. The majority of the population in N Dakota and Minn are Scandanavians and so there are an awful lot of girls that look like Dru. I'd be worried if I had a daughter so my mind would be continually looking around at possible perps until the suspect is proven to have kidnapped her.

Evidently the proof is there or they wouldn't have been so bold to make that specific arrest. Now I'm wondering what LE is thinking. I also would think the FBI would be involved as she was taken from N Dakota and her last cellie beep was from Minn - across a state line.

I don't think they have much hope for finding her alive after 2 weeks of this brutal weather. And if she were still alive when Rodriguez last saw her, I would think he would have wanted to cut a deal to show them where he had her hidden. Wouldn't you?

The fact we havn't heard about him doing this speaks to me of the fact that since she is already gone there was no rush to fess up to the truth. And so he plays innocent, telling his attorney he is innocent, and will bide as much time as he can till his attny tells him he better try to negotiate some kind of deal. The police already said they won't lower his charge of kidnapping. Maybe he will finally say it was an accidental death - that is probably all he can do if it is proven he did indeed kidnap her and was the last person to see her alive.

I agree that there has got to be some spot he liked to frequent that he felt all private when he was there. Having used a knife before, blood in the car, makes one wonder if his MO hasn't changed a bit and he was so excited or turned on after 23 years of dreaming about being with some girl like this he acted too strongly and she was accidentally killed - maybe bled to death.

I hope she is in the basement of some vacant scool or house where the biting cold can't get to her. I want to try to find that sex offenders list.

Scandi...you brought up the fact that most folks from the Upper Midwest are Norskes or Swedes....and, they sure do look alike....As you know I am from Minnesota...and...a Dru's family looks just like mine...I have a daughter that is the very image of Dru, also a grandaughter. It was so shocking to compare pictures of my family memebrs and Dru....And I just fell in love with Dru's image. This case has been so close to home it seems...like we really do know them all...the Sjodins.
Scandi, you also asked if I have been at About.com....no, I have not been there in a while, The threads seemed to get so tedious, with the argueing, no theories, just flames....I went back there a few weeks ago, wow, it was exactly the same.
I do like WS because there are theories discussed, and, an attempt to solve the crimes. People here bring up things I had not thought of, so it is very interesting.

YAK...***I'm good - thanks for your kind words. I've been feeling a little down ever since I read some of the nasty comments people were posting at Dru's website. I just don't understand how some people can be so cruel. What a sick society we live in. I really feel for Dru's family. Nobody should have to go through something like this.***
I, too was so shocked at some of the disrespectfull posts at Dru's site. I can't imagine the type of people that could be so vulgar at such a serious and heart-rending site...SHAME SHAME SHAME

Originally posted by scandi

I don't think they have much hope for finding her alive after 2 weeks of this brutal weather. And if she were still alive when Rodriguez last saw her, I would think he would have wanted to cut a deal to show them where he had her hidden. Wouldn't you?

Scandi,
First of all, let me say that I think you are a great poster. You too, Starpatch. No, I don't think there's much hope of finding her alive. I looked up the weather forecast in Grand Forks and tonight calls for snow, sleet or freezing rain tapering to snow showers. Overnight low near 25. Tuesday night's low is 0.
:(
You said that you think he'd want to cut a deal. Part of me agrees but on the other hand, cutting a deal means admitting that he did kidnap her which means right back to prison. I am so curious about his other victims...does anyone know much about their attacks? Did Rodriguez hold them for a period of time then release them? Or did they escape? If he kidnapped Dru then it seems that he has progressed since Dru is still gone and the other victims lived to tell of their ordeals. With snow coming to that area, it will be even harder to search for her. :boohoo:
This is breaking my heart...
Misty

I have to say that I have only seen nice posts about Dru at her website. Where are these ugly posts some have mentioned seeing?
Misty

Hi Miss Misty!

I enjoy reading your posts as well, and thank you for such a nice comment:blowkiss:

I'm going to do a bit more reading on Dru this afternoon {after I wash the kitchen floor which has been calling me, and now appears to be crying! LOL} I thought the last victim had a knife brandished at her and with that knife was forced into his car. I remember something about her escaping with her life., but I need to read more to be sure. That is what made me suspect his sickness had evolved to great anticipation at having someone like her for his own and the weilding of the knife was suddenly disastrous for Dru.

I'll be back here a bit later to let you know what I learn.

Hope you're back later too Joyce. Really good to see you on this great site - my home away from home! BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :D

Scandi-
Are there many Finnish people up in N. Dakota and Missouri? We have a Finnish settlement here in Idaho, in a wonderful mountain resort called McCall. My grandmother came and settled there from Finland. :)

Hi Idaho Mom!

Gosh, I really don't know, but I'll bet there are. And Danes and Laplanders too. It is because their religions and customs are so similiar that they tend to group together. In California there are alot of Scandinavians around Solvang, and by Seattle in Wn a lot of them live in the South Seattle and Bothel area.

They love the same food, all believe in Neissan {the prankish trolls who really are beloved - move hay piles, etc. Traditionally they leave food for them when it is cold outside, and of course it always disappears { LOL - I wonder why! BaHaaaaaaaa!:D }

Good to see you Idaho:wavy:

I was just reading Dru's website and came across the thread about this gal having a “feeling” that Dru in somewhere near or has to do with “Chariots”
The poster's name is Gwen. She has posted about 6 or 7 times but she seem's very sincere. I think you guys ought to go over and read her thread.

Here is her first post:

To anyone in the Grand Forks or Crookston area (or anyone familiar with the area) please think and tell me if the word "chariot" means anything to you. I know this sounds weird but to me it is very important. If you want to know specifically why please email me off the boards. Think building...
Thank you so much
Blessing and safe return of Dru...
Gwen
Ladybass

154 Posts
Posted_-_12/06/

xxxxxooo
mama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics