New Zealand - Christchurch Mosque shooting, dead & injured reported, 15 March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM, BBM.

NZ Population Ethnicity from Wiki:
In the 2013 census, 74.0% of New Zealand residents identified ethnically as European, and 14.9% as Māori. Other major ethnic groups include Asian(11.8%) and Pacific peoples (7.4%), two-thirds of whom live in the Auckland Region.[3][n 3] The population has become more diverse in recent decades: in 1961, the census reported that the population of New Zealand was 92% European and 7% Māori, with Asian and Pacific minorities sharing the remaining 1%.[253]

Source for above:
New Zealand - Wikipedia

NZ Prison Facts - Ethnicity of Prisoners - 2018: (from pie chart)
Maori (NZ Indigenous): 50%
European: 31.3%
Pacific: 11.6%
Other (including Asian): 4.4%
Unknown: 2.7%

Source for above:

Corrections Department NZ - Prison facts and statistics - March 2018

So it looks like he actually would have a good amount of whites to pal around with in prison, though it might depend on how he is classified as to how and who he would be exposed to when it comes to other inmates. I'm not sure what prison culture is like in NZ, if there are ethnic gangs etc that stick together no matter what. My guess is they desperately want to keep him away from the other prisoners especially whites for fear that he will try to radicalize them. IMO.
It’s be interesting to see the ethnic breakdown for a maximum security facility like paremoremo where he’ll likely end up. It may be different to the one for overall prison population that you’ve referenced above.

I don't think his ramblings - his documentation - deserve any attention. He murdered praying people in a religious building. The victims are primarily Caucasian. He's obviously a very stupid man if he thinks that murdering Caucasians furthers his incoherent 74 page ramblings.

Very few people think of the ethnicities of people such as the victims as Caucasian. Caucasian is almost always used to describe white Europeans, though there are other ethnicities that technically qualify as Caucasians. Not one single person I know would use the word Caucasian to define any of the victims. And I'm confident the shooter knows the true definition of Caucasian.

It’s be interesting to see the ethnic breakdown for a maximum security facility like paremoremo where he’ll likely end up. It may be different to the one for overall prison population that you’ve referenced above.

Yes I agree, that's why I said this: "though it might depend on how he is classified as to how and who he would be exposed to when it comes to other inmates."

Last edited:
Very few people think of the ethnicities of people such as the victims as Caucasian. Caucasian is almost always used to describe white Europeans, though there are other ethnicities that technically qualify as Caucasians. Not one single person I know would use the word Caucasian to define any of the victims. And I'm confident the shooter knows the true definition of Caucasian.

It's not surprising that people confuse religion and race, seems to happen quite often. The suspect murdered Caucasian people who practice one type of religion, and the media has gone crazy describing him as a racist. Go figure.

At this time the accused has no access to television, radio or newspapers while being held in segregation and has no approved visitors.

Accused gunman in Christchurch terror attacks denied newspaper, television and radio access

While I completely understand the decision to restrict his access MSM, I am wondering what will happen when it comes time for trial. He said he would plead not guilty so if I understand NZ law correctly that means that the case has to go to trial. What I'm wondering is, will the NZ govt. try to suppress MSM access to the trial, or try to prevent them from reporting on it, and how might MSM respond to that? Will "insiders" sneak video or create secret transcripts of the trial and sell them? Just wondering how this will all play out.

It's not surprising that people confuse religion and race, seems to happen quite often. The suspect murdered Caucasian people who practice one type of religion, and the media has gone crazy describing him as a racist. Go figure.

Well to be fair he did admit that he's a racist lol :D. But I get what you're saying. :)

While I completely understand the decision to restrict his access MSM, I am wondering what will happen when it comes time for trial. He said he would plead not guilty so if I understand NZ law correctly that means that the case has to go to trial. What I'm wondering is, will the NZ govt. try to suppress MSM access to the trial, or try to prevent them from reporting on it, and how might MSM respond to that? Will "insiders" sneak video or create secret transcripts of the trial and sell them? Just wondering how this will all play out.

I don't think there's been any suggestion of shutting media out of the courtroom, or restricting their reporting. The restrictions mentioned have been around not allowing him access to view or consume MSM. That's how I understand it.

It's hard for me not to wonder if this tragedy is being used to further political agendas, especially since I have seen it before in my own country. All IMO.

The difference here in NZ is that the opposing political party (the National Party, the more right wing of our two major parties) is in support of gun law change too. Christchurch terror attacks: National Party leader Simon Bridges says gun control laws need changing

So it's not about the ruling Labour party (the more left wing of our two major parties) pushing their agenda, everyone is largely on the same page in the need for change, from what's been said at this point in time.

Gun control has never been the divisive issue in NZ that it is in the US. Completely different context here regarding political agendas and what not.

I don't think there's been any suggestion of shutting media out of the courtroom, or restricting their reporting. The restrictions mentioned have been around not allowing him access to view or consume MSM. That's how I understand it.
Although interestingly, while no suggestion if media being restricted at this stage, this article does detail the various special powers that can be applied around any trial. Timely to the original comment Analysis: What powers does judge have to curb fear of hate speech during Christchurch terror trial?

Just read one of my favorite news sites, they have been banded in nz along with another.

Hope this turns out the way they want, i’m sure it will.
Which site is that? I can’t find a definitive list but know it includes sites like 8chan and liveleak. Let me know and I can do a test and see what happens.

Reading just now that Australia has taken similar measures on a bunch of sites.

I think the way we ‘hope it’ll turn out’ is that people stop sharing and viewing the video. Much like other objectionable material - child *advertiser censored*, snuff films, bestiality, etc.

I’m totally happy to forgo any websites that feature any of the above in the name of respect for the dead and the quest of stopping the spread of terrorist propaganda.

There hasn't been a trial like this one before so I have no idea how it will go. This may answer some questions. I can assure you, there will definitely be no insiders sneaking anything out of the court. Are you serious ... creating secret transcripts. lol

The High Court judge who will preside over what will be an unprecedented trial will have a range of laws at his disposal to maintain order - one of which could see the trial held behind locked doors, with even members of the press banned from attending. NZ courts are generally open to the public, but any judge has the power to clear their court. This most often occurs when a complainant gives evidence in cases of a sexual nature. The judge can also exclude people, when necessary, to avoid undue disruption to the proceedings.

Other reasons to close the court include a real risk of prejudice to a fair trial, endangering the safety of any person, prejudicing the maintenance of the law - including the prevention, investigation and detection of offences - and when a suppression order is not sufficient to avoid that risk.

A judge can also clear the court if they believe it will avoid prejudicing the security or defence of New Zealand. This is also the only type of order which forces members of the media to leave a court.

However, in the event of such an order, the verdict and sentence must take place in public unless the judge is satisfied that "exceptional circumstances exist".

A judge also has the power to transfer the proceedings to a different place. A concern is that you can't find 12 people who are going to act impartially in relation to an event that's happened in their community".

If the accused continues to defend himself, it is likely the court will appoint an amicus curiae (friend of the court). An amicus is a lawyer who is not a party to the case but assists the court and advises the defendant on the rules and how conduct his defence properly. This means it is also likely witnesses who could be traumatised by having to be cross-examined can instead be questioned by the amicus. They could also give evidence via closed circuit television to avoid seeing the defendant.

Analysis: What powers does judge have to curb fear of hate speech during Christchurch terror trial?

Last edited:

It is probably better to look at how the perpetrator used The term 'white'. The perpetrator justified the attack using racial terms (opposition to non 'white' immigration / migration). Thus, the media emphasizes the racial motive.

The fact that most of the victims were Caucasian in the anthropological sense does not mean that the shooter accepted them as being 'white'. Rather he directly stated that he did not accept them as 'white' and thus they were subject to attack.

My guess if that it is very possible that the terrorist uses the term 'white' to describe a person with two characteristics:

- being racially white (his definition- limited to Europeans, not the anthropological definition) and

- Possessing a "white culture" (by the terrorist's definition, not the dictionary definition of the two separate terms)

Last edited:
There hasn't been a trial like this one before so I have no idea how it will go. This may answer some questions. I can assure you, there will definitely be no insiders sneaking anything out of the court. Are you serious ... creating secret transcripts. lol

Analysis: What powers does judge have to curb fear of hate speech during Christchurch terror trial?

RSBM

Haha :D "creating secret transcripts" probably sounds a little dramatic, what I meant by this is someone sympathetic to his cause anonymously leaking trial testimony etc. to get his word out if the judge decides to not allow MSM etc.

RSBM

Haha :D "creating secret transcripts" probably sounds a little dramatic, what I meant by this is someone sympathetic to his cause anonymously leaking trial testimony etc. to get his word out if the judge decides to not allow MSM etc.

Judges can give pretty precise instructions on what is and isn't allowed. If you go against the instructions, you're in contempt of court. There are always people in the courtroom who can see what's going on.

Ironically Erdogan would have a fit if a western leader played 9-11 footage during a "juice'em up" rally- then made references to Turks "going home in coffins" like their ancestors did at Vienna (Ottomans defeated by European coalition led by Poland).

But.... no western leader has done that. If Turkey wants to be accepted as a European nation, their leader needs to act like a European leader.

Last edited:
Judges can give pretty precise instructions on what is and isn't allowed. If you go against the instructions, you're in contempt of court. There are always people in the courtroom who can see what's going on.
How soon is a case likely to get to trial? I know this is unprecedented, but are there requirements on "speedy trial" like here in the US? Obviously, we are all about to learn a lot more about New Zealand law in the coming months.

Also, if he is acting as his own attorney, can the state cut off his access to media without jeopardizing his rights to mount his own defense? I certainly understand wanting to not let him see media, not let him get any satisfaction from his horrific deeds, but does it cause problems and provide him defenses down the road?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members