NJ - 18 year old woman planning to move to New Jersey to MARRY her Father

I always thought the reason that it was called incest and was illegal was because of the breach of the family relationship (be it father-daughter, brother-sister). If they never had that relationship, is it illegal because of the science involved? I've never been really clear on that.

My understanding both are correct (bbm).

It is a cultural and sometimes a religious taboo as well:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest_taboo

There is a scientific basis behind it. Inbreeding could result in sickly abnormal children.

She was a product of a Prom night tryst: sounds too cliche'… just adds to the "I don't think this is real" hinky-meter.

Well that's the first thing that makes sense to me in this whole thread.
Purple and tennis shoes is my kind of wedding.
(To marry a man 5 years old than me... just to clarify.) :giggle:

I don't know if this is a stunt or a fake article for political purposes, but homophobes have long used the slippery slope 'argument' against same-sex marriage: 'oooh if gay people can marry, what is to stop people from marrying their kids, or goats, etc.' It is ridiculous, illogical, and tiresome.

Crap if I had known it was ok to marry a goat......animal lover that I am and all :)

While I do not condone this relationship AT ALL, I find it very interesting in this and other cases the double standard that occurs in the case of teenagers. We cry that a 16 year old is not mature enough to decide their own fate when it comes to sex but if they take someone's life we scream to try them as adults and lock them up. You can't have it both ways.

Murder cases are decided on a case by case basis and depend on the circumstances of the crime. In this situation most are understandably upset with the adult father figure and not so much with the child.
IMO

Murder cases are decided on a case by case basis and depend on the circumstances of the crime. In this situation most are understandably upset with the adult father figure and not so much with the child.
IMO

And if she were the one coming on to him because of her screwed up background- he was the adult, it was his job to set her straight and say, "No, this is inappropriate!!!"
This is his biological daughter, whether he'd seen her for years or not, and not even his step-daughter/foster daughter/adopted daughter, which is still yucky!

It's not really...you just don't like the same argument used for something you see as unnatural.

I avoid words like "unnatural". I have no doubt cave men copulated with their daughters quite readily.

Your statement as to what I dislike is true enough, but are you seriously telling me you can't distinguish between a sexual union of parent and child and one between unrelated adults (regardless of genitalia in either case)?

In fact, it is Rick Santorum and his ilk who conflate all relationships based on a single criterion: if it has been traditionally condemned, then it must be all the same.

stepchildren wouldn't be the same relationship though....

Perhaps not legally or biologically, but I'm not sure there's such a difference emotionally. You may ask my stepchildren and grandchildren if you don't agree. I'm not sure relationships between stepparents and stepchildren need to be illegal, but I certainly think they should be socially discouraged.

And if she were the one coming on to him because of her screwed up background- he was the adult, it was his job to set her straight and say, "No, this is inappropriate!!!"
This is his biological daughter, whether he'd seen her for years or not, and not even his step-daughter/foster daughter, which is still yucky!

bbm: I agree and let's add adopted daughter to that list too of ''off limits''

Of course, what Santorum never mentions is that definitions of marriage AND incest have changed throughout history. In Ancient Israel, which practiced plural marriage, a man whose brother died was required to marry the brother's widow because social stability depended on women having husbands.

But in Europe in the 16th century, the Catholic Church forbade a brother to marry his sister-in-law even after her husband had died. Henry VIII had to get a special dispensation from the Pope to marry Katharine of Aragon, his dead brother's widow. (The dispensation was granted to preserve the political union between Spain and England, two of the great powers of Christendom.)

Perhaps not legally or biologically, but I'm not sure there's such a difference emotionally. You may ask my stepchildren and grandchildren if you don't agree. I'm not sure relationships between stepparents and stepchildren need to be illegal, but I certainly think they should be socially discouraged.
Woody Allen is probably of the few people who think this is appropriate. Personally, I'm on Mia Farrow's side.

How is she going to tell her future children that it is not okay to sleep with their daddy/her husband with a straight face? That will be interesting should that issue arise.

I don't find myself really outraged. If adults want to be incestuous, I don't find a problem with that. Consenting adults are consenting adults. As to children who might inherit certain genetic problems - people are having children all the time knowing with a 100% certainty that the babies will have problems (like Down syndrome). And yet, they are hailed like heroes and great parents. That's hypocrisy at its best.

In this particular case, feels a lot like grooming, though.

If a man can marry a man & a woman a woman, I see no reason why a father can't marry a daughter or a sister a brother etc. If the argument is that we should not prevent a loving couple from marrying, how can we deny them. The state should treat all relationships equally.

Gonna have to agree with this.

How is she going to tell her future children that it is not okay to sleep with their daddy/her husband with a straight face? That will be interesting should that issue arise.

just to add: grandparents too.......

((who in this case YIKES))

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419