No English Required

reb said:
another huge point to this whole thing-- isn't it a SECURITY ISSUE that everyone be able to speak english AT AN AIRPORT......????
No, it is not unless you only wish to allow english speaking travelers into the US.

windovervocalcords said:
It used to be that getting a good education involved learning a second language. Now we are so arrogant that we are offended that we may need to learn more than one language in our country in order to meet the needs of all of our citizens.

I wish I had taken spanish instead of latin. (forgive me dear Catholics)
You are forgiven my child, go in peace. Spanish is more useful IMO than Latin.

BarnGoddess said:
I just spouted off Nova. I have no problem with immigrants working before they're fluent or can even speak a few words. If they're willing to work and not come in demanding welfare, great. As I said, early Cuban refugees and now the Haitian "boat people" do the jobs many Americans wouldn't stoop to do. Many have become very successful after their hard work.

Cappicuna, I go along with not speaking English very well, doesn't bother me. I just can't tolerate the refusal to speak it and being arrogant about it.
Tell who is arrogantly refusing to speak english?

Most people know their well being depends on it in the US. Older people often are unable to learn the language well and many do not try. But their relatives do.

2sisters said:
America is a land of great opportunity for many. Some that are serious about becomeing citizens and becomeing "one of us" if you will, will get around to learning the language. I hope anyways.

Just an aside. The 1st perdiatrician my kids saw was from Africa. I honestly don't know if it was the meds or what but I could not understand her. I think it is great she could come here and make a good life for herself and have a medical practice but how far can her career go if there is such a language barrier? She could have told me told me my child had a life threateneing disease or the room was on fire and I wouldn't have known b/c I couldn't understand her. I asked her why my child was on oxygen for 2 hours and didn't know what she said, a nurse had to tell me later.
I have real trouble with Asians, I have to really concentrate to understand them..

narlacat said:
They say to keep your mind active as you get older, it doesn't have to be that you learn a new language..

Of course not. But what better way?

there are many miscommunications in workplaces now because of so many illegals not being able to speak english (and, to be fair, vice-versa). but i would hate to see something bad happen because an airport turns into the tower of babel- and workers can't understand each other. it is essential that people be able to speak at least ONE common language. so far, least time i checked, the majorityhere speaks english. that's not racist, it's not offensive, it's just reality.

2sisters said:
America is a land of great opportunity for many. Some that are serious about becomeing citizens and becomeing "one of us" if you will, will get around to learning the language. I hope anyways.

Just an aside. The 1st perdiatrician my kids saw was from Africa. I honestly don't know if it was the meds or what but I could not understand her. I think it is great she could come here and make a good life for herself and have a medical practice but how far can her career go if there is such a language barrier? She could have told me told me my child had a life threateneing disease or the room was on fire and I wouldn't have known b/c I couldn't understand her. I asked her why my child was on oxygen for 2 hours and didn't know what she said, a nurse had to tell me later.

For what it's worth, 2, I think you should have taken your child to someone else. (You probably did.) It isn't "racist" to require clear medical instructions for your child.

<<Of course not. But what better way?>>

Well, considering I couldn't learn French when I was young, I think I'll try cryptic crosswords :D

"urban legend" of the "arrogant immigrant refusing to speak English" is a neocon myth...I'm not saying that there may not be a few people like that, but the vast majority of immigrants to this country BUST THEIR BUTTS WORKING MULTIPLE JOBS AND LEANING ENGLISH...many of them work harder, frankly, than people whose families have been here for generations... Psst....they're usually doing the jobs that you would never do...

I've known people with graduate and other degrees up the wazoo from, Russia, for example, who started life in America cleaning toilets in subway stations... My grandfather, with a Ph.D.-equivalent in civil engineering (Russian and German Jewish background, an "immigrant" ) had to sell apples and other foods from a ****ing pushcart on the sidewalks of New York City when he came here; this was after after helping to design the Moscow Subway in Russia, until he could get his feet on the ground here and get back into engineering...

I, frankly, am really, really sick of the thinly disguised veil of xenophobia on these boards regarding people from other countries, and the bizarre, bigoted notion of who an "American" is...

It's a damned good thing for y'all that I'm not Native American, because I would be even more shocked by what people say here (if that is even possible)... The Native Americans who have been treated worse than dirt by the early "immigrants" who came here and took everything from them...

Nova said:
For what it's worth, 2, I think you should have taken your child to someone else. (You probably did.) It isn't "racist" to require clear medical instructions for your child.
I did and it's a shame b/c she is the only pediatrician in town, so we drive 45 min to see a different one.

Nova said:
BG and wind, it's not too late. It's a beautiful language.

And they say learning a new language is one way to postpone the mental slowing associated with aging. (Not saying you guys are old. Just saying.)
Ok, Nova. And for your later post Narlacat......

I'll have to check that out. I have been cramming myself (at 63 now) with Excel, Access, now the last chapter in Word and QuickBooks. I have been going to our community college for these courses. Tonight is my last class for the semester. Mmmmmm, what to take next. I already have my web page building text and program ready to go. Beginning water color looked like a soothing class after all my intensive computer classes.

You are right, it keeps me on my toes. When I retire, I may have found a niche if someone requires some computer work I can handle. BTW, Nova, I have straight A's in all courses. I'm proud of that.

BarnGoddess said:
I just spouted off Nova. I have no problem with immigrants working before they're fluent or can even speak a few words. If they're willing to work and not come in demanding welfare, great. As I said, early Cuban refugees and now the Haitian "boat people" do the jobs many Americans wouldn't stoop to do. Many have become very successful after their hard work.

Cappicuna, I go along with not speaking English very well, doesn't bother me. I just can't tolerate the refusal to speak it and being arrogant about it.

I don't think the latter happens as often as we might think. But when it does, it's usually just a defensive reaction. People who don't speak English well are often treated as if they are stupid, and that can be difficult to take.

And I certainly appreciate your disliking being treated as a stranger in your own home town. But that happens whenever there are large population shifts. Inner city residents feel the same when their neighborhood gentrifies and the newcomers act like the oldtimers are somehow "intruding."

narlacat said:
<<Of course not. But what better way?>>

Well, considering I couldn't learn French when I was young, I think I'll try cryptic crosswords :D
I like sudoku.

windovervocalcords said:
Tell who is arrogantly refusing to speak english?

Most people know their well being depends on it in the US. Older people often are unable to learn the language well and many do not try. But their relatives do.

Exactly, wind. As I've posted before on this subject, my daughter married a man from Russia. He immigrated with his parents during the 1980s, when there was a push to liberate Soviet Jews.

His parents (both college professors) never learned to speak English well, though it wasn't for lack of trying. Nonetheless, we get along fine at family reunions: we speak no Russian, but they do their best in English and with a little translation from their kids.

Son-in-law and his sister (who immigrated in their teens) speak English fluently, but with obvious accents. (No, it isn't hard to understand them.)

The grandchildren (ages 1, 3 and 6) speak English appropriately for their ages and without accents. They also speak some Russian, but, alas, I think they will lose that unless they study it in school.

This is pretty much the pattern for most immigrants, I think, unless they arrive already speaking English fluently.

csds703 said:
I like sudoku.
So does my son, who is infinitely smarter than me at 8 years old.
I don't get it LOL, but haven't really tried....numbers do something to my head and it doesn't feel good :p

csds703 said:
I like sudoku.

Actually, the same article I read also mentioned crossword puzzles and mathematics.

narlacat said:
I don't get it LOL, but haven't really tried....numbers do something to my head and it doesn't feel good :p

Sudoku is logic and has nothing to do with math. The numbers could be colors or shapes or letters - anything that there are 9 of. Numbers are used just because everyone knows them.

Completeing the puzzle does not require that you be able to perform any mathematical function.

BarnGoddess said:
BTW, Nova, I have straight A's in all courses. I'm proud of that.

Well done, you!

narlacat said:
Your son is obviously very bright and focused. It's not easy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back