No English Required

Nova said:
Sudoku is logic and has nothing to do with math. The numbers could be colors or shapes or letters - anything that there are 9 of. Numbers are used just because everyone knows them.

Completeing the puzzle does not require that you be able to perform any mathematical function.
You're right. I am not good in math at all. It just takes concentration and focus.

cappuccina said:
I've known people with graduate and other degrees up the wazoo from, Russia, for example, who started life in America cleaning toilets in subway stations...

The man who enlarged our garage had a Ph.D. in theoretical mathematics. He was a political refugee from Nicaragua, but none of his credentials were recognized here. (He was struggling to learn English and was very patient with my far-from-perfect Spanish.)

windovervocalcords said:
What is that?

I love crossword puzzles but never heard of that.

Sudoku is a late rage in puzzles. It's a puzzle comprised of 9 x 9 small boxes. The object is to put the nine numerals (1 through 9) in all the boxes so that no numeral is repeated in any one row or column, or in any of the 9 3x3 boxes inside the main puzzle.

Most newspapers carry it nowadays.

Nova said:
Sudoku is logic and has nothing to do with math. The numbers could be colors or shapes or letters - anything that there are 9 of. Numbers are used just because everyone knows them.

Completeing the puzzle does not require that you be able to perform any mathematical function.
Well there ya go, shows how how much I know.

csds703 said:
Your son is obviously very bright and focused. It's not easy.
He is, not sure where he got that from!....he picked it up really easily...

narlacat said:
He is, not sure where he got that from!....he picked it up really easily...
Don't sell yourself short. His mom seems pretty intelligent to me.

narlacat said:
Well there ya go, shows how how much I know.

"Mr. Nova" found that aspect troublesome until I pointed out that the mathematical relationships of the digits don't mean anything in Sudoku.

Nova said:
"Mr. Nova" found that aspect troublesome until I pointed out that the mathematical relationships of the digits don't mean anything in Sudoku.
That's the kind of thing Mrs Wind is good at. I see its numbers and start fuzzing out.

reb said:
there are many miscommunications in workplaces now because of so many illegals not being able to speak english (and, to be fair, vice-versa). but i would hate to see something bad happen because an airport turns into the tower of babel- and workers can't understand each other. it is essential that people be able to speak at least ONE common language. so far, least time i checked, the majorityhere speaks english. that's not racist, it's not offensive, it's just reality.

Airport control tower workers are already required to speak English, as are airline pilots. I believe that is the case in all international airports.

csds703 said:
Don't sell yourself short. His mom seems pretty intelligent to me.
Hey thanks csds
His Mum is probably just lazy more than anything else...

narlacat said:
You two are cute, can I say that LOL

Absolutely not! I am highly offended. I'm sure wind is, too, but she doesn't let me speak for her.

(Just kidding, of course.)

Nova said:
Absolutely not! I am highly offended. I'm sure wind is, too, but she doesn't let me speak for her.

(Just kidding, of course.)
Yeah, I agree and you speak for me plenty Nova. That may not have come out the way I intended. I mean your views often mirror my own and we often see eye to eye.

PS (Mrs Wind comes from a long line of accountants and other smarty pants types.)

¡Demando que tenemos a un mexicano que habla Websleuths el foro! !!!! Estoy seguro hay alot de mexicanos fuera allí que querría unirnos, pero ellos hacen no, porque el no sabe inglés.

poco said:
¡Demando que tenemos a un mexicano que habla Websleuths el foro! !!!! Estoy seguro hay alot de mexicanos fuera allí que querría unirnos, pero ellos hacen no, porque el no sabe inglés.
I translated this on a translation site b/c I was curious. here's what it gave me
I demand that we have a Mexican that speaks Websleuths the forum! !!!! I am sure there is alot of Mexicans was there that would want to unite us, but they do not, because the not English knows.

2sisters said:
I translated this on a translation site b/c I was curious. here's what it gave me
I demand that we have a Mexican that speaks Websleuths the forum! !!!! I am sure there is alot of Mexicans was there that would want to unite us, but they do not, because the not English knows.

It is actually something more like - I demand we have a Mexican speaking Websleuths. I am sure there a lot of Mexicans who would like to join us in our discussion, but can't because of the language barrier...

but you were very close!!! lol

maybe you could start a spanish speaking thread and see what happens?

Okay, sounds like a good one - you can be the first to reply - here goes.....

Please see the

Websleuths para nuestro español que Habla a Amigos THREAD, lol..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back