Northwest States - AK, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY - Weather Discussion

it has been on and off rain here in So OR all last week. I am ready for some warmer weather so I hope the rain stays up there.

Rainfall estimates through Monday show amounts in the Coast Range
and Cascades could reach 7 to 10 inches... with 2 to 4 inches in
the valleys. These rains will likely lead to areas of Urban and
Small Stream flooding. Larger rivers will likely also see
significant rises. This amount of rainfall will also lead to debris
flows and landslides in steeper terrain. Some places this often
occurs includes the Columbia River gorge... The West Hills of
Portland... and the foothills of the Cascades.

http://weather.kgw.com/US/OR/007.html

It is windy and rainy as all get out here in Portland.

Better not be this way during zombie walk.

Winter Storm Atlas: Why We Named It

http://www.wunderground.com/news/why-we-named-winter-storm-atlas-20131002

The Weather Channel meteorologists Tom Niziol, Peter Neilley and Stu Ostro have determined that a storm expected to soon hit a large swath of states in the Rockies, Foothills and Plains fits all the criteria to be named Winter Storm Atlas. It is the first named storm of the 2013-14 winter weather season.

The decision was based on the current level of forecast confidence, expected effects meeting National Weather Service winter storm warning criteria across a sizable area and this storm being of notable magnitude for so early in the season.......

Winter Storm Atlas: Your Reports
http://www.wunderground.com/news/winter-storm-atlas-your-reports-20131003

Tornado Damage near Lincoln, Neb.: More Severe Expected Friday
Read more at http://www.wunderground.com/news/nebraska-tornado-damage-20131004#h5yZZlDA7OuWGFpJ.99

I'm taking a warming break! Atlas has found its home in Wyoming. We woke up to 10 inches of snow, now have about 16, and I think it will hopefully top out around 20 by tonight. Our neighborhood was so covered in broken trees and branches we couldn't drive. We have filled 3 30 foot trailer loads with branches and my family is working on the 4th load. It has been really neat to meet neighbors and work together to clean our streets. I am not a snow lover, but this storm has been good in the sense that we are working together and helping each other. Definitely cool.

Stay warm all of you under Atlas and its wrath! Its a nasty storm!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Winter Storm Cleon Update: 12-18 Inches of Snow Possible as Storm Moves Across Northwest, Mountain West

http://www.wunderground.com/news/winter-storm-cleon-update-20131202

Published: December 2, 2013

Winter Storm Cleon is beginning its march across America Monday and is expected to bring as much as a foot and a half of snow and frigid arctic temperatures to the Dakotas, the Rockies, Montana, and more.

"The big word for Winter Storm Cleon is the cold air," said The Weather Channel's winter weather expert Tom Niziol. "There's an arctic front coming down from Canada that will make temperatures plummet. By Thursday morning you're looking at temperatures in the minus teens in the Dakotas."............

It's freaking cold in Montana!!!! And getting colder!!!!! Ugh!!!!!! Stay warm neighbors!

EUGENE, Ore. -- Forecasters predict that Oregon will see its coldest night in over 40 years as many cities are still reeling from Friday’s snowstorm that dumped over a foot of snow across the southern Willamette Valley.

The day of snow on Friday made for slick driving conditions in Oregon and southwest Washington. While the precipitation is considered to be over, officials say an extreme cold snap will set in.

The Eugene Airport registered 3 degrees F just before 9 p.m., tying the coldest temperature recorded for the city since December 11, 1972.

The cold snap of 1972 set record lows: December 7 was 6 below zero; December 8 saw 12 below zero - the coldest temperature since weather-record keeping started in Eugene back in 1892.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Snow-is-done-now-here-comes-the-extreme-cold-234915391.html

I have friends who live in the countryside who have no water due to frozen pumps - and even one who lives in the city limits whose pipes froze! A friend just wrote that it's registering -9 at the airport right now!

:hills:

Oregon is also having unusually cold weather. Eugene and Corvallis got seven and nine inches of snow Friday, respectively, causing classes to be canceled at the University of Oregon and Oregon State University. Portland got a half-inch dusting of snow.

Eugene is expected to have a low temperature of negative 4 degrees Saturday night, which is the lowest since 1972, Andy Bryant, a National Weather Service hydrologist in Portland, told The Times.

Bryant said that the cold will continue at least through Monday, but maybe longer.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-dallas-ice-freezing-20131207,0,7894299.story

This is completely crazy!

When I got the email from my kid's preschool today saying that classes will be cancelled (again) tomorrow I promptly wrote her back and requested Valium.

The poor birdies are so hungry and my chickens are too...too chicken to go out into the snow. The geese are hiding in the garage and the carpet-peeing cat is inside. Yesterday I was checking the hummingbird feeder to see if the nectar was frozen and one poor little guy sat and drank from the feeder while it was in my hands! There was also a very confused bat in the garage this morning. It's all just so strange!

I am ALLDONE with snow. Never in a million years would I have said that I miss the rain!

It's been awful for over a week in Montana....we hit 8 degrees today and celebrated the "warmth" LOL

Frozen pipes and now lots of snow. I've gone through a months' worth of wood in 10 days (our only source of heat) ...it's really scary!!!

Stay safe and warm everyone!!

Watching the news and they are saying schools will be closed tomorrow again. Our crew hasn't been able to work because the machinery isn't even operating. Everything is so frozen. Lots of my friends have lost water and had pipes burst. When is it going to end?

So much for global warming right?

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Brrrr. Y'all bundle up & stay warm. Bring the pets inside & put out food for wildlife.

We hovered around 80 today & people are complaining about that. Not me!

And I'm heading to Albany for Christmas. LOL. I am also planning on moving there next summer...and I can't wait.

My nieces and nephew got Friday and today off from school, due to snow. And they have a frozen pipe at their house, too.

Bless their hearts...and bless mine next year.

(TBH, I can't wait...although I don't know how to live in the cold like that, I'm looking forward to learning it. :))

Best-
Herding Cats

Being in North Texas...... last couple days not sure how those who get this kind of weather so often do it. Like living in an ice box. I like it cold and I like the occasional snow but this ice stuff.......no thanks. Brrrr Think warm thoughts hope some warmth comes that way. Stay safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back