GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

Does anyone know if there are reporters in the courtroom? This seems so different from other trials where reports are reporting whats happening all day on twitter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are reporters in the courtroom? This seems so different from other trials where reports are reporting whats happening all day on twitter.
Mocity. I can't say for sure, but, my guess is all electronic devices are ban from being used in the courtroom., and possibly the entire courthouse.

I don't know for sure if reporters are allowed but the Queens Daily Eagle's twitter feed shows a pic of cameras in their tweets of trial coverage. Also, here is a link to the Queens Daily Eagle. Home

I don't know for sure if reporters are allowed but the Queens Daily Eagle's twitter feed shows a pic of cameras in their tweets of trial coverage. Also, here is a link to the Queens Daily Eagle. Home
It's good to see you again, runfar.
Would you agree that the Queens Daily Eagle confused the headlines of the article in the Marcotte case with the story of the Vetrano case?
I don't remember a hood being up in the Vetrano case, nor any mention of a vehicle, but I may be wrong.

I do know that the Press was excluded for the first half of the first day during opening statements. The Judge allowed them in after lunch.
Here is a list of the things that are not allowed in the courthouse.
Recording devices/phones etc. are on the list.
I do remember seeing the Vetrano's on camera in the lobby during day 1.
The Judge may have allowed one or two cams from the major tv. stations to video in the lobby, but I have nothing to base that on, so it's just a guess.

Courthouse Security | Eastern District of New York | United States District Court

‘Purple Was Her Color’: Vetrano Dad Sobs On Stand Recalling Daughter’s Final Run
November 07, 2018
[...]
Phil Vetrano wore a purple tie to testify on the second day of the murder trial of Chanel Lewis — the man accused of raping and killing Karina. His wife, Cathie, wore a purple shawl that she placed on her lap throughout the trial.
[...]
Phil Vetrano testified that he picked up Karina when he found her body, but was separated from her by an NYPD Officer. He told Leventhal he did not disturb her, change her position or the alter the condition of her clothing.
[...]
Leventhal next called NYPD Crime Scene Unit Detective Wendy Enos to the stand. Enos said she arrived at the scene as lead investigator on Aug. 3, 2016 shortly before 12:30 a.m. — six hours after a panicked Phil Vetrano first called friends in the NYPD to say Karina was missing.

Enos described documenting the crime scene evidence, including swabbing the surface of Karina’s cell phone, which laid in the brush about dozens of feet from the body. Enos said she bagged Karina’s hands to prevent contamination and photographed her.

[...] - GRAPHIC description of injuries -

The detective said she did not observe injuries to Karina’s teeth at the time. Prosecutors say Karina’s tooth was broken, an injury consistent with getting punched in the face.

During cross-examination, defense attorney Jenny Cheung questioned Enos about potential disturbances to the scene in the hours before Enos arrived.

“If mistakes happen at the crime scene, there’s nothing you can easily correct,” Cheung said. “There’s no undo button.”

Enos said she did not take elimination samples of other NYPD officers on the scene, did not know how many times the body had been moved or turned, did not recall blood on the cell phone and did not document footprints at the scene.

A necklace that Karina wore — a birthday gift from her parents— was still on Karina’s neck when officers established the crime scene. The necklace was not pictured in a photo of Karina’s bruised neck, however. Another officer had filed the necklace.

The line of questioning about potential disturbances to the scene and potential handling of the body and cell phone seemed designed to counter the prosecutor’s assertion that DNA found on the phone and victim’s fingernails could only match that of Lewis.
[...]

I do know that the Press was excluded for the first half of the first day during opening statements. The Judge allowed them in after lunch.
Here is a list of the things that are not allowed in the courthouse.
Recording devices/phones etc. are on the list.
I do remember seeing the Vetrano's on camera in the lobby during day 1.
The Judge may have allowed one or two cams from the major tv. stations to video in the lobby, but I have nothing to base that on, so it's just a guess.

Courthouse Security | Eastern District of New York | United States District Court

I just came off watching and reading everything related to the Tammy Moorer trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis so I guess this seems so quiet compared to that. Thanks to all posting information

I find it interesting that a photo of Lewis was taken from inside of the courtroom, seeing as cameras are not allowed.

Day 5.
This article mentions the discrepancy between Lewis's confession where he stated she drown in the puddle, and the autopsy result that states she was strangled.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/09/jurors-watch-karina-vetranos-alleged-killers-chilling-confession/
Per NYPOST.com article from one year ago, Lewis's confession included "I strangled her.":
https://nypost.com/2017/11/20/man-accused-of-killing-jogger-details-final-moments-of-torture/
November 20, 2017
[...]
“I finished her off, I strangled her. She fell into the puddle and drowned,” he says coolly in the footage. “I got up and wiped off the blood. And she was calm, she was in the pool [of water].”
“It was like all the way over [her face],” he says of the puddle, gesturing across his own face.
[...]

It's good to see you again, runfar.
Would you agree that the Queens Daily Eagle confused the headlines of the article in the Marcotte case with the story of the Vetrano case?
I don't remember a hood being up in the Vetrano case, nor any mention of a vehicle, but I may be wrong.
"Hoodie." He was wearing a "hoodie" with the hood up, which aroused suspicion. Thanks again to everyone for the daily updates and genuine interest.

Snipped from above article:

In addition, the cell phone included a photograph of a hand injury. The accused murderer has admitted that when he punched Vetrano, he hurt his hand on her teeth.

But Lewis’s Legal Aid lawyer. Julia Burke, asked Rivera, “You don’t know whose hand is pictured?”

Rivera replied: “Correct.”

Ok, so, we have...
1. A full confession.
2. Cell phone evidence, showing pictures of KV, and the crime scene.
3. Alleged DNA that hasn't been presented yet.

I understand the job of his legal defense is to cast doubt, but I don't think questioning who's hand it is in the photo will make all that much of a difference IMO.
The "Square Peg" is becoming more round every day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back