NY - Rashawn Brazell, 19, found dismembered, Brooklyn, 14 Feb 2005 *charges dropped 2023*

Jeffery Dahmer and John Gacy use to prey on young guys. This may be a serial killer or the person lives and his mothers basement and had to cut up the body to dump it 2 bags at a time. But obviously they dont care or they didnt know that the recyclables get sorted at the plants.

Somewhere above it says that Rashawn may have been held for 2 days before he was murdered. You'd need space & privacy to torture someone so living with a partner/parent/roommate would make it pretty difficult.

What about the pelvis from the recycling plant? Was it in a recycle bag? Why not dump it with the rest of the body parts? If the killer put the pelvis in a recycle bag & the bags are made for that purpose then the whole act of placing it in that bag was intentional and deliberate. Maybe I am misunderstanding the whole recycling bag/pelvis scenario?

What's this about a pelvis? Also, is that documentary out yet?

This screams serial killer to me, everything from the torture killing to the dismemberment to the bragging letters.

It reminds me very much of that guy in Houston who recruited the neighborhood kids to bring victims to him.

This person took pleasure in doing this. They have medical knowledge/experience. And are probably a local. If they dont have a basement, there could be plenty of abandoned buildings (with basements) for a person who knows the neighborhood well. I feel this person is in the same ethnic group, black or latin. I dont have any proof of that, just my psychological hunch. Or could be Ive just watched silence of the lambs one too many times. They are experienced, Rashawn was not their first, nor their last. I wonder how many other body parts of missing 20-something nyc men have turned up since Rashawns murder? This is definitely the work of a serial killer. I feel the police could have done a better job. Was there no other dna found on the parts?

Apparently there was a screening for rashawns desire back in nov 2014. I know theres no point in being bothered about something ten months after the fact, but I couldve gone to this had i known. I dont live on the east coast but actually was there at this time. #wtf #rukidding

Okay i guess we cant post pics from tapatalk but there was a pre-screening of the documentary in harlem nov 2014. Oddly, there isnt much feedback on the film itself. And i dont see that it ever went to dvd. Still working on it; poor kid probably ran out of cash again. At least we know its finished. He's done so much for the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This person took pleasure in doing this. They have medical knowledge/experience. And are probably a local. If they dont have a basement, there could be plenty of abandoned buildings (with basements) for a person who knows the neighborhood well. I feel this person is in the same ethnic group, black or latin. I dont have any proof of that, just my psychological hunch. Or could be Ive just watched silence of the lambs one too many times. They are experienced, Rashawn was not their first, nor their last. I wonder how many other body parts of missing 20-something nyc men have turned up since Rashawns murder? This is definitely the work of a serial killer. I feel the police could have done a better job. Was there no other dna found on the parts?
I agree. There have been several of these types of murders in and around the brookyn area going back at least ten years or more if i remember correctly. I have seen other cold cases here that have to do with dismemberment in and around the brooklyn area. Both men and women. Ones i remmmber mostly were at or near train tracks or amtrack i think but dont really remember much now. Normaly someone would cut up a body to hide it better, so perhaps in parts it would never be found. But here it seems, at least in a couple of cases i have read over time, that these parts were cut up not to hide forever, but to be found over time. As if to relive the killing, for an extra rush of adreline when another piece was found and learned about on the local news. Which made me belive at least in two or tree over time it was local. Not an amauter either. But someone that did a lot of planning. And probably told no one of anything. A narcissistic type individual that lives and blends in well in the communities. He seems to know when to do it and not get caught. Not with the taking the killing and the cutting up and leaving parts. Alot of work and time and preparations needed to commit these crimes when you think about whats in involved. from start to finish. Not a clean killing, but very messy, unless the killing somehow was draining the blood from his victims before cutting them up. Perhaps freezing the parts at some point before dumping them, to through out a possible time of death.

Have not read everything on this case, and don't remember from the others i read. But do we know if any of the parts found still had blood within, or could they tell if it had been drained beforehand?

I just saw the Sara Lepkofker thread, she was found in a "sewage pump house" in an abandoned apartment complex. That really lept at me--the same type of location Rashawn wouldve been lured to. She went missing in 1997. Becky Detres, 1992.

Lepkofker resided in Coney Island. I wonder where Becky was from. MrTT, I agreed with your sentiment that serial killers dont usually target older women. I strongly feel this is the work of the same person. Unfortunately, there is like zero info about the two womens' murders. Lepkofkers fingertips were removed. They couldve just removed the head and fingertips, and left it at that. But no, they severed her limbs as well (extra work). Experienced......taking pleasure in the task. And I have to assume the head was missing since they couldnt identify her. But the limbs were with the torso, else they wouldnt have known about the fingers. Frustrating how little info is reported. 1992......1997......2005. Hmmmm. Becky and Rashawn were clearly gathered up, and taken to the subway. Not this woman. Kids play there, and it was summertime. Killer was probably spooked by some kids, and fled. Darn the lack of info and publicity for these other two.

Good question about the blood. If it was one or the other, what would the significance be?

From reading about these cases over the years. If I made a profile of the killer of at least two, maybe more but i will say two for now over the years. This person functions fine in public and in private. Not someone you would consider or suspect to be nuts. On average he kills about every 5 years or so. Very methodical and precise on what it is he wants to do and when to do it. He enjoys it so much, he doesn't want to take a chance on messing things up. Lots of time between the killings, to allow the publicity to die down. Hes got his memories of the crimes so no need to kill regularly. Probably photos and video tape.

This person would have the perfect job/alibi to do these types of killings without bringing any notice upon themselves.

Do we have persons that live in Brooklyn now and or during the findings of the victims?

Any kind of mom and pop places where fresh meat is available. A slaughter house in or around the area?
A place where everything is provided to do these killings. The perfect cover.

As far as any older females. There easier targets being older. Less likely to put up a fight, less likely to have any family or friends to notice there missing. No one would probably report them missing until they were identified.
But if a LEO was here, I would ask if any of the older ones had any connections to each other. Sometimes older persons visit the same places in the areas where they live for whatever reason.

addon
Brazell's severed arm and legs were found just three stops down the subway line from where a subway cleaner discovered two plastic bags in 1992 containing the remains of 27-year-old Becky Detres of Brooklyn. No arrests were made in her killing, her family said yesterday.

I say 50/50 chance these two related.

I totally agree with everything you said. This person is highly educated. Someone associated with a funeral home or mortuary, is another possibility. The person has a car, definitely.

I agree, Detres may not be apart of this. For one, it didnt say she was dismembered. Actually the one mention of her came from the daily news, in what unfortunately was a piece of the most base nature, titled "Cut up man was going to see lover", or something to that effect. The part about her being in two bags was probably misleading (perhaps the remains were bagged twice). Im gonna head on over to the Lepkofker thread.

Eta:
I may write a letter to the cold case unit at this precinct. This is really burning my bum because 1) the media apparently refused to report it until friends and relatives made a stink, and 2) between cell phone and internet history, how can they have nothing??? The police cant tell the public eveything, and I respect that. The tone is that Rashawn had fallen on hard times, and was emotionally vulnerable. This was likely a sex/money exhange set-up, which is highly common scenario and many many people get hurt or killed this way, unfortunately. And since the perp/killer was highly intelligent, and it was a set up from the very start, they made sure their end of the communications led to dead ends.

Eta2: it also just occurred to me that, from a tourism standpoint, its VERY bad for business to have headlines about a psycho on the loose chopping people into pieces. Wouldnt want to affect the precious local economy, or increase pressure from the public to get this solved......this wouldve literally cost the city tens of millions in tax revenue, had it gotten major publicity.

If you do write that letter. Ask what kind of instrument they presume was used? chainsaw, hacksaw, knife whatever. The ME would have made a determination on the kind of instrument used by looking at the cut on the bones themselves. I am curious if at in least two cases the same type of instrument was used.

Here is nice article on Bushwick.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushwick,_Brooklyn
States that over 97 percent of the homes/apartments etc, are within a half mile of a subway.

add on...
Just speculating. But if the killer did use the subway in at least two cases to deposit the parts throughout Brooklyn I wonder if he got on at the stop before?......Lets say he walked to the subway, less than half mile and got on, got off at the next stop left the bags and got back on the next time it came by and went back home?

Using the subway since it is so close by to leave his bags would be a convenience. Would not have to worry about driving through traffic, just get on and get off. No one would suspect a thing.

If I knew the stop before where the bags were left, where he may had gotten on perhaps then we could look around that area and see what kind of businesses are near by. But we really could use the information on the type of instrument that was used to cut through the bones, to give us an idea on what kind of business may use a similar instrument on a regularly basics.

add on 2...
A theory thinking wayyyyyyyyyyyy outside the box.
After doing little reseach on population. Pehaps the victims were white and or black because they are a small percent of the population.
To murder and cut up A Hispanic would have brought about a Hugh outcry one would presume. But a white or black victim perhaps not so much of an outcry among the neighborhoods. Especially if there older, prostitute etc etc. One may assume do to profiling we are looking for a white male, or then a black male. But not a Hispanic. A Hispanic killing whites/blacks would benefit even more from living in a large Hispanic population. Would be able to move around easier without drawing attention to themselves...........But then again, just thinking wayyyyyyyyyy outside the box.

white 8 p, black 16.8p hispanic 69.9 p

Bumping for Rashawn.

I lived in NYC when he was murdered and it's one that stuck with me. Bushwick is a pretty rough neighborhood yet Rashawn appeared to be rising above it, was trying to contribute positively to his community and make something of himself. He just struck me as a good kid.
It's a baffling case. I came across a thread about him on Reddit and his mother just posted there 26 days ago. She is certain he was not killed by a serial killer or the victim of a hook up gone bad. She definitely thinks he was killed by one or more people who he knew and probably trusted.

But why? And it was a red flag that he kept his friends compartmentalized.

According to the family(?) Facebook page, it was Rashawn's birthday yesterday, April 15. He would have been 31 years old. So sad, hoping this case gets some leads and his family gets some answers. Doesn't bring him back, but they deserve whatever justice they can get on earth!

Here's his mom's message from Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/rashawnsdesire/?fref=nf
[h=5]Rashawn's Desire[/h]Yesterday at 9:12am ·

Today is my son Rashawn Robert Brazell birthday 31 years old I'm sadden that I cannot look into his face and tell him how proud I am of him how much he has accomplish in his life time because I know he would have been a hell of a man that was taken away from me. You are miss Rashawn Robert Brazell I guess there will always be a void in my life because you are no longer here physically but I know I will see you again and we will embrace each other and catch up on the things we have missed out on in each other life. LOVE YOU RASHAWN MOM

Interesting opinion his mom has. This killer went through a lot of trouble. Did a lot of work. Thought this thing out. The main question being: why.

I'm beginning to think maybe it was a NYCTW that operates the train that ONLY carries garbage. We've all seen these cargo trains. DOES ANYONE AGREE? Also, WHY HASNT ID OR ANY OTHER DOCUMENTARY OUTLET RECREATED THIS HORRIFYING COLD CASE, to get the word back out.

EXCLUSIVE: Suspect in 2005 Brooklyn beheading claims innocence by yelling 'I can't even dissect a frog' in court (with clip)

"A suspected serial killer busted for the cold-case murder of a 19-year-old Brooklyn man — who was beheaded and dismembered — offered a bizarre defense Wednesday.
“Kwauhuru Govan is innocent!” the suspect yelled, referring to himself in the third person. “I can’t even dissect a frog.”

Govan, who was already in custody for the cold-case killing of another Brooklyn teen, refused to leave his holding cell to face murder charges in the 2005 slaughter of Rashawn Brazell.

The 38-year-old suspect was eventually carried into court by more than a dozen uniformed court officers and plainclothes police officers, each holding different parts of his body..."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...tal-2005-brooklyn-beheading-article-1.2979176

Rashawn%2BBrazell.jpg

(A 2004 photo of slain Rashawn Brazell...[TRACY, JOHN, FREELANC])
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone find any info on Govan? His Brooklyn address? Or any relatives on LI? Where he worked...etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back