GUILTY OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/pattinewberry

Deliberations about to begin in #PikeCountyMassacre trial of #georgewagneriv. Waiting and watching for
@enquirer
and other Gannett outlets.

.#PikeCountyMassacre jury -- which began deliberating in the #GeorgeWagnerIV case at 8:30 a.m. today -- was just called into the courtroom for its request for a trial transcript. Jurors had sent word to the judge that they wanted to see the testimony of Edward "Jake" Wagner. 1/6

The prosecution objected to the request. Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa said she objects to providing transcripts, in general. "The danger is (jurors) zero in on a paragraph or two." 2/6

Wagner IV's lead defense attorney supported the request. "They should have accurate information to make a determination," said John P. Parker. 3/6

Judge Randy Deering sided with the defense, intending to instruct the jury not to give "over emphasis" to one witness over others by virtue of having a transcript. 4/6

Once assembled and instructed -- and informed the transcript of Jake Wagner's four days on the stand ran "hundreds of pages" -- the jury changed its mind and returned to the jury room empty-handed. 5/6

Before the jury assembled, Deering's court reporter said the transcript ran 764 pages. Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk told the judge a copy could be ready in about a half hour. Jake Wagner is the defendant's brother, who admitted killing five of the eight victims in 2016. 6/6
Well, we know now about how much just Jake's transcript will cost: $4/page as was posted by ... someone.

For those who couldn’t hear the exchange in real-time I’ve tried to transcribe it as best I could.
Attorneys brought back in for this jury request, Judge briefly explains the question, and then talks to both sides. AC specifically said - after asking their position on providing the transcript

Just in general, and I think it’s court practice to not provide transcripts uhmm because, it’s a slippery slope, you know, and as the Court knows there are some dangers of them putting more emphasis on one part of the trial versus others, but that would just be the State’s concern your honor….”

Then the Judge, after Defense said they had “no objections” on Judge giving cautionary instructions to the jury about using solely one transcript for their deliberations. Judge said he heard “caution” from the State but not an actual “objection”, he thought.

Then AC followed up to clarify “yeah your Honor, in general we object of giving transcripts to any witness, again because, like you’re saying, 764 pages you know, I might ask the question and he answers one way, then he asks a question & he (referring to Jake) answers this way, and then on re-direct I….you know, so I mean, I think the danger is they zero in on a paragraph or two or three somewhere within that 764 pages, that’s all”

Defense then said “Judge, obviously our position is that they should have accurate information no matter what they’re deciding; they should have accurate information and this is available for them to make an accurate determination”

IMHOO AC and State really didn’t want them to have this transcript. I’m not sure if I think this means they are doubting some of what State alleged that Jake said or did, but I am pretty sure that they are taking their role carefully and seriously just based on having to have asked for something so voluminous.

I'd have to do some research, but am pretty sure there are big murder trials in the past where a judge declined to give those transcripts to the jury for the reasons Judge Deering mentioned. IIRC, judges are very careful about sending this kind of thing to juries. They already have a huge pile of evidence they can review as well as their notes.

This could be about one dissenting juror who says "well I heard Jake say XYZ when he answered this question and that means George is innocent". Then the jury begins to over - analyze one or two sentences in the transcript while forgetting the context of all the other evidence and testimony.

ETA: The focus should be on whether or not George was present with the others at the crime scenes the night of the murders.

That is possible.
He lied on the stand that's why and the jury is questioning some of his testimony. Clark Kent even said he wasn't fully truthful. However he got his reward for being a good boy and we are to believe his every word. He shot there, he whirled and shot there, then he shot this way and that way! Right out of a movie script that he scripted. He killed five I'm sure, all alone, but he was the star of his show.

Col, It's been a pleasure to be with you on this site as I was on the site 'that shall not be named' in 2016 shortly after the murder happened. Then as now, the attention and common sense that comes through in your posts is refreshing. All the best to you~~

Thank you! Kind of you to say.

All the best to you!

I'd have to do some research, but am pretty sure there are big murder trials in the past where a judge declined to give those transcripts to the jury for the reasons Judge Deering mentioned. IIRC, judges are very careful about sending this kind of thing to juries. They already have a huge pile of evidence they can review as well as their notes.

This could be about one dissenting juror who says "well I heard Jake say XYZ when he answered this question and that means George is innocent". Then the jury begins to over - analyze one or two sentences in the transcript while forgetting the context of all the other evidence and testimony.

ETA: The focus should be on whether or not George was present with the others at the crime scenes the night of the murders.
BIBM I agree but, I think that was their point in having JW the admitted murderer, and dealmaker to save his sorry skin, to testify.

As the judge stated a million times, closing is meant to persuade, the factual documents will be in the jury room. He can do all the flare and reenacting he wishes in closing. They'll have the coroners report and the autopsy findings.

Heard it the very first time.

He lied on the stand that's why and the jury is questioning some of his testimony. Clark Kent even said he wasn't fully truthful. However he got his reward for being a good boy and we are to believe his every word. He shot there, he whirled and shot there, then he shot this way and that way! Right out of a movie script that he scripted. He killed five I'm sure, all alone, but he was the star of his show.
No doubt about it. All Wagners have lied and perjured themselves. I think all four Wagners tell more lies than truth. Maybe they have programmed themselves to lie.

Do jurors believe some of JW, AW and GW4 testimony? None of it? What if jurors just decide to dismiss everything the Wagners testified to?

To me, Wagners are just a pack of lying liars who lie, and killers who kill. While interested in jury deliberations, I try not to waste important energy thinking about the W's these days. They are not worth my time.

BIBM Well, she admitted she had cheated on him during their marriage and that she was prone to cheating on him. An insanely jealous man like JW may have killed her instead of divorcing her.
True but that's not why she left, she left after that fight involving him and Angela.

https://twitter.com/jamespilcher

51m
Apparently, the jury wanted sections of the transcript of Jake's testimony. The judge said if they got it, it would be all of it and they needed to read it all - more than 700 pages. The foreperson said no they would do without it apparently. Jury had pizza for lunch

They'll convict him in the end. If they don't the state has only itself to blame.
No doubt about it. All Wagners have lied and perjured themselves. I think they tell more lies than truth.

Do jurors believe some of JW, AW and GW4 testimony? None of it? What if jurors just decide to dismiss everything the Wagners testified to?

To me, Wagners are just a pack of lying liars who lie, and killers who kill. While interested in jury deliberations, I try not to waste important energy thinking about the W's these days. They are not worth my time.
I think they'll ultimately convict G4 of something, if not everything, but if not, the state has only itself to blame. JM2 I think I'm gonna do the same. I was getting ready to shut it down for the day but your post popped up. I'll be watching for a verdict. I've tried to look at his trial through the eyes of a juror who came into it, not being glued to this case for six years. You are right, it is time to Let It Go. I'm hopeful G3 takes a plea, but I'm doubtful considering his ire for the whole of the Law.

https://twitter.com/jamespilcher

51m
Apparently, the jury wanted sections of the transcript of Jake's testimony. The judge said if they got it, it would be all of it and they needed to read it all - more than 700 pages. The foreperson said no they would do without it apparently. Jury had pizza for lunch

What? Seems like a penalty to be required to read all 700 pages.

Pike County murder trial: After a nearly three-month trial, jury deliberation begins Wednesday​

Found dead that day were 40-year-old Christopher Rhoden Sr., 37-year-old Dana Rhoden, 20-year-old Hannah "Hazel" Gilley, 16-year-old Christopher Rhoden Jr., 20-year-old Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden, 37-year-old Gary Rhoden, 19-year-old Hanna May Rhoden, and 44-year-old Kenneth Rhoden.

The trial is the first time a person has faced a jury for the deaths of the Rhoden family six years ago.

They'll convict him in the end. If they don't the state has only itself to blame.

I think they'll ultimately convict G4 of something, if not everything, but if not, the state has only itself to blame. JM2 I think I'm gonna do the same. I was getting ready to shut it down for the day but your post popped up. I'll be watching for a verdict. I've tried to look at his trial through the eyes of a juror who came into it, not being glued to this case for six years. You are right, it is time to Let It Go. I'm hopeful G3 takes a plea, but I'm doubtful considering his ire for the whole of the Law.
Deleted my prediction of deliberations outcome. Don't even want to think about that anymore.

Last edited:
One really needs to have lived a life Tab led. Her upbringing, undereducated, no family support, crimes against her/sisters, poor, the list goes on and on and...
Not just walk a mile in their shoes, but to actually live that life style. It's a sad existence, because you only just exist, your in fight/flight every minute of your day. Many live with that fight/flight into adulthood/entire life style moving forward.
I did. I experienced it, child molestation and all. I left with a baby on my hip. No family support, child molestation, poor, no job, no education, no place to go. I took a bus 200 miles away. I didn't leave my baby. I had a mother's instinct. Baby goes with me! Then while I was still just a teenager, I watched other's in my family do what Tabbi did and I raised their kids starting when I was 19 years old, while they continued there own life without them by their choice, in complete utter chaos, drugs, men. I don't know her. So I'll say from my view, she had resources. JMO. I'm really not slamming her, it's just sometimes people do not know of what they speak. I lived it.

Which she admits to starting, at least in part. Listen carefully to her on the witness stand. I'm done now.
I don't need to listen to her carefully - the original post said she left for another man. She didn't. I felt that original post was wrong and mean for absolutely no reason, which is why I responded the way I did.

I might be misremembering, but isn’t the deal in Ohio that if they find him guilty of one of the charges, it automatically defaults to the main charge of murder? As a juror this would definitely make me think twice about finding him guilty on any of the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd