OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole narrative that GW4 did not know anything about the planning or plotting of the murders is so untrue and way off base the way he tried to convey it to the jury. His eyes and body language did not lie and served well as backup to the already damaging evidence presented by the prosecution.

The W’s have a very strange and unhealthy obsession about children. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t understand it or can I grasp an understanding of it. Makes no sense. For that I am thankful. Children are seen as property, trophy, and possessions. It makes you wonder what else their weird warped minds were thinking and why they were so desperate for children. They went as far as to steal children from their mothers even if that meant murder to gain custody.

GW4 was proud of his upbringing and how he was raised. We heard about his upbringing and he held on tight to the person he had become. He took ownership of it and expressed proudly and bragged about it proudly. He was a know it all, knew more than anyone else—so he thought. He put everyone down and if you weren’t like him, you were crap. He is no different than AW. He is a male version of her.

He denied any involvement of the murders thought his personality showed different. He is his worst enemy. He put an illegal bullseye on many innocent animals and now it’s his turn.

He carried on violently and aggressively most of his life. We heard the wiretaps. He was there, testimonies and evidence showed that. GW4 gave insight into his own demise. No poker face, for this gambler.

Deep down he hates women. His pea brain thinks they are good for one thing only. We heard horrible things about women and disrespected them. Abusive toward children too. He is not the victim, through he’d like to think he is. He is the villain. He will have plenty of time to think about what he’s done and what led up to this point.

Yes, it’s easy to feel sorry for him. I do feel sorry and sad for him. He is human and humans make really horrible mistakes, but he should pay for the crimes committed or he will repeat. People need to be safe, protected. He could have stopped the murders. He did not!

All of this is in my opinion and matter of opinion.
ALL of this!! Yes!

What is alarming to me (being that I see all that you said as true and see right through his attempt to control this narrative) is people believe him.

George is extremely manipulative. Maybe people haven't known someone like this before so it's hard to see the lies. I said it before, but he seems to like to stay out of the limelight, but then reap the benefits of whatever crimes are occurring. He has an undercurrent of hate.. he speaks so poorly of nearly every person in his life. I don't think he's able to make any type of true connection with others. I guess that is to be expected with the house he grew up in. Seems love was based on control.

Every single person in his life was mistaken or lying. He had nothing nice to say about anyone in his life, yet he stayed with them, lived with them, worked with them, and remained connected to them. He could have left at any point. He had the money and he had a job and the ability and skills to get another job in a different area if that is really what he desired to do. I don't buy the didn't have money and was forced to stay because of Vine and his mom watching him, etc. If his mom was such an awful person then he is no better than any of the others he puts down for this and that reason.. he knowingly allowed his manipulative controlling mother to raise Vine. Then we wants us to believe Tabby was awful and would have put Vine in harms way.. she left Vine with him because she didn't want him around her step dad who was her abuser. She had Vine's interests in mind.. yet many have ran her through the mud for being an awful mom. Well here we have George leaving his son in a worse off spot than Tabby ever did. He KNEW what his mother was capable of and still he left his son with her.

So much victim blaming in this case and it just shows even more what type of person George is.

Yes, rumors about that safe, the money and the Wagners wanting it have been floating around on social media since a few months after the murders (AFAIK), especially after LE moved the Rhoden family trailers to storage. We couldn't discuss it here, but learning about it during the trial confirmed suspicions.

Did local LE have any suspicions about this after the murders? It ended up being BCI agents who snagged Billy for the interview. Maybe we'll learn more during Billy's trial. When it comes to LE, though, I'd like to eventually find out who knew what and when.
I think there were hints of many motives in this case during George's trial. I believe the thing fueling the fire was the belief that Sophia was being harmed and they were going to lose control of that situation and then in turn could lose control of Vine too. The other things at play I do believe contributed to each person justifying it further. George and Frankie.. one time friends, but maybe something in there was just bothering George all those years. I recall something with a girl, but I'd have to go back and listen again to really understand it more. Then Billy and Chris I do think it was jealousy. I do think there is something there with Kenneth giving up his grow and as I listened again to testimony from days 3, 4, 5 I think it was Luke Rhoden that said he was planning to get out of the marijuana business and turn his part over to Gary within the next few months. Maybe Billy was interested in that deal. There was mention of a fight and money being owed or held by Chris Sr. Maybe we will get to see more of that motive come out in Billy's trial. Maybe they left that out of George's trial because George didn't have anything to do with that. Maybe Jake and George had no idea of those dealings and so it was saved for Billy's trial. I think the only people who can really say how the meeting was set up for that night is Billy and he isn't likely to talk so we might never really know about all that. IF there was another motive for Billy like the drug angle and being cut out of some business dealings, then who would know about that? Gary, Chris sr, Kenneth.. maybe Fankie maybe Dana. We don't know how much Dana and Chris Sr still talked or what Dana might have known about what Chris Sr did or who he dealt with. We do know Dana would have known about the custody issue with Sophia. It's all just still hard to imagine how it spiraled out of control to this, but it did happen and we just might not ever have the full picture of exactly what motives were at play.

I feel sorry for both George and Jake because they were raised to be criminals. They were isolated from others and lived a bizarre lifestyle where young teenage girls (3 out of 3 sexual abuse victims) were chosen and groomed to be their wives or the mothers of their children. They didn't have a broad education or learn to question what they were taught as children.

Rightly done, it's a good thing to be aware of all forms of child abuse. It's a good thing to protect children. But the Wagners have twisted, dysfunctional, paranoid ideas about protecting children. For me, concluding that George was involved in the murders was not primarily about forensic evidence but about the overwhelming evidence of how George and Jake were groomed into criminality--with no signs that they ever walked away from the family's life of crimes. George's confessions about these various crimes convinced me that he is a criminal, and as arielilane says, one who hates and dominates women. The testimony about the poaching and his glee about the illegal (and unsporting) ways he killed animals says he likes killing.

The massive overkill, multiple shots to the face for totally innocent victims (Gary, Hannah Hazel, Dana, Chris, Jr., in particular) shows a lot of emotion, and while Hanna might have inspired rage in Jake (hence the overkill), I've always felt the overkill in the other victims, and the one-shot to Kenneth's eye, showed that they were enjoying the killings. They were in their own little violent movie fantasy sequel to the Boondock Saints. I never thought that the prosecution was reaching on this point; these crime scenes mirror that sort of violent film.

I'm one person who thinks the tattoos speak for themselves. The deer head obsession is all about trophies. The only "trophy" they could really take was cash, and we will never know how much they scored in cash. But the tattoos? That's how they they thought they could brag in plain sight about their great night of slaughter. The tattoo artist may well think he suggested elements of the composition but once the 8-ball was in the mix and the 3 aces (not 4), the rest is just details. These are really stupid people who thought they would get away with a slaughter. Just my opinion and my interpretation of what I saw and heard in the trial.
I'm with you on the movie and the tattoos as well. It sounds ridiculous because the W's were sick people. I keep hearing in my mind about how Billy taught them to hide in plain sight.. act like you belong there if you are ever caught. Watching for the cameras, getting paid to stop the cops first..

Then we see them hiding in plain sight (when they finally did move it was to protect the kids from the media attention.. poor us we are being wrongly accused.. )

Hiding weapons on the grandmothers property (they never would have been found either)

And getting those tattoos and there are no coincidences like this.. come on and having the tattoo guy testify he designed it.. okay, but George wasn't going to roll in and say, he I helped kill 8 people and I want to get a tattoo to really be a great reminder of that. They didn't have to prove George got that as a way to remember the killings, but to me the timing of it was awful and he didn't just say surprise me and that is what he ended up with.. he had input into it before it was put on his arm. How ridiculous is that knowing your niece and her entire family was wiped out less than 2 months before and he says this is a great idea, put it on my arm. Also important to note is at that point the W's were feeling pretty good because nobody was looking at them in June/July of 2016. So their little way of saying haha.

Don't forget the FB photo George posted. Clearly it hit a nerve with Angela because she commented "really George" and he said something like what you don't like it?... again we just see more of George's true personality in those moments.

I feel sorry for both George and Jake because they were raised to be criminals. They were isolated from others and lived a bizarre lifestyle where young teenage girls (3 out of 3 sexual abuse victims) were chosen and groomed to be their wives or the mothers of their children. They didn't have a broad education or learn to question what they were taught as children.

Rightly done, it's a good thing to be aware of all forms of child abuse. It's a good thing to protect children. But the Wagners have twisted, dysfunctional, paranoid ideas about protecting children. For me, concluding that George was involved in the murders was not primarily about forensic evidence but about the overwhelming evidence of how George and Jake were groomed into criminality--with no signs that they ever walked away from the family's life of crimes. George's confessions about these various crimes convinced me that he is a criminal, and as arielilane says, one who hates and dominates women. The testimony about the poaching and his glee about the illegal (and unsporting) ways he killed animals says he likes killing.

The massive overkill, multiple shots to the face for totally innocent victims (Gary, Hannah Hazel, Dana, Chris, Jr., in particular) shows a lot of emotion, and while Hanna might have inspired rage in Jake (hence the overkill), I've always felt the overkill in the other victims, and the one-shot to Kenneth's eye, showed that they were enjoying the killings. They were in their own little violent movie fantasy sequel to the Boondock Saints. I never thought that the prosecution was reaching on this point; these crime scenes mirror that sort of violent film.

I'm one person who thinks the tattoos speak for themselves. The deer head obsession is all about trophies. The only "trophy" they could really take was cash, and we will never know how much they scored in cash. But the tattoos? That's how they they thought they could brag in plain sight about their great night of slaughter. The tattoo artist may well think he suggested elements of the composition but once the 8-ball was in the mix and the 3 aces (not 4), the rest is just details. These are really stupid people who thought they would get away with a slaughter. Just my opinion and my interpretation of what I saw and heard in the trial.
Those tattoos as telling as anything they did. The chances of them being coincidental are nearly impossible odds. Why put eight segments in a scorpion? And three aces instead of four? Or the aces and eights in the deadman’s hand? Both tattoos have eight in some fashion and there were eight victims. Both signify death or deadly things. I am sure BCI could see that easily. Then, his inability to shut up, did him in.

I think there were hints of many motives in this case during George's trial. I believe the thing fueling the fire was the belief that Sophia was being harmed and they were going to lose control of that situation and then in turn could lose control of Vine too. The other things at play I do believe contributed to each person justifying it further. George and Frankie.. one time friends, but maybe something in there was just bothering George all those years. I recall something with a girl, but I'd have to go back and listen again to really understand it more. Then Billy and Chris I do think it was jealousy. I do think there is something there with Kenneth giving up his grow and as I listened again to testimony from days 3, 4, 5 I think it was Luke Rhoden that said he was planning to get out of the marijuana business and turn his part over to Gary within the next few months. Maybe Billy was interested in that deal. There was mention of a fight and money being owed or held by Chris Sr. Maybe we will get to see more of that motive come out in Billy's trial. Maybe they left that out of George's trial because George didn't have anything to do with that. Maybe Jake and George had no idea of those dealings and so it was saved for Billy's trial. I think the only people who can really say how the meeting was set up for that night is Billy and he isn't likely to talk so we might never really know about all that. IF there was another motive for Billy like the drug angle and being cut out of some business dealings, then who would know about that? Gary, Chris sr, Kenneth.. maybe Fankie maybe Dana. We don't know how much Dana and Chris Sr still talked or what Dana might have known about what Chris Sr did or who he dealt with. We do know Dana would have known about the custody issue with Sophia. It's all just still hard to imagine how it spiraled out of control to this, but it did happen and we just might not ever have the full picture of exactly what motives were at play.
I concur.

I recall that Chris Sr and Dana were getting back together and would remarry at some point. I suspect that Dana may have known a portion of it.

I also believe that AW was extremely jealous of Dana, not only because she was S's grandmother but because she had a much better life compared to AW. Curious if AW provided instructions to fire off an overkill to DR... after all there were 5 shots fired. All of this is IMO.

Do you know where that video is of them on a plane where S broke a video screen and twice bit Angie? Acting out because she had Angie raising her and Angie would talk all the time about child sexual abuse and poisoning, questioning the kids all the time, etc...probably making both kids scared and confused.

This is a good one - Investigators interview with Angela Wagner heard for first time:

She talks alot about the Rhodens including Hanna. The dogs were fine if Chris was there but if not, they would bite. One dog bit Jake several times when he would go over there looking for Hanna but Chris wasn't home. See, note how the Wagners were able to get past Chris's dogs. They had Chris up and ready to control them when he was expecting Billy to come over for their fake meeting.

She said she was in Chris's trailer one time but didn't like to sit on dog hair so she never went back. She went to one Rhoden family 4th of July fireworks party but didn't like how there was firework smoke and cigarette smoke around Brently when he was a baby, and she didn't like their partying so she never went back.

She left the air force she said because her parent's divorced and her dad became disabled. A hardship leave, I think.

She explained about doing visitation with S and sometimes changing the days of visitation and navigating Christmas visitation, etc....Interesting details come out, and you can hear her getting in a snarky negative remark here or there about Hanna and Dana and the Rhodens but she says she doesn't want to be "judgemental."

This is the interview where she says Billy broke his back. Interesting hearing her talk about the day of the murders, she said Jake had went up to the hospital. In my opinion to pretend like he didn't know if there were any injured, Angela said they didn't know how many had been shot.

Now we know that after that night, when they returned, they told her 8 were shot and then she asked them "why so many?" And the answer was "because they were there."
Mike Dewine: "And the Lies they told".

There is just some satisfaction listening to Angela Wagner finally getting caught in her lies. And she knows it. And she goes quiet. The silence is deafening as she tries to think of yet another lie to get herself out of it.

In Parker's closing argument he said G4 didn't participate in the murders and knew nothing about the plans.for murders.

Then towards the end of his closing, he also said (paraphrasing) that if G4 did go, it was only at the last minute to protect JW from B3. (What?)

As Clark Kent stated in his closing that Parker can't have it both ways (paraphrasing).

Could there be any chance that what Parker said in closing could be grounds for mistrial or appeal due to his attorney being at fault for making that ridiculous statement?

In Parker's closing argument he said G4 didn't participate in the murders and knew nothing about the plans.for murders.

Then towards the end of his closing, he also said (paraphrasing) that if G4 did go, it was only at the last minute to protect JW from B3. (What?)

As Clark Kent stated in his closing that Parker can't have it both ways (paraphrasing).

Could there be any chance that what Parker said in closing could be grounds for mistrial or appeal due to his attorney being at fault for making that ridiculous statement?
It was mentioned several times, in differing ways, that if it was believed GWIV went along, it was to protect JW from GWIII. Not sure of the exact wording off hand. I couldn’t believe my ears until others mentioned the same thing.
I can’t believe it was as ploy to get a mistrial or appeal. He would be destroying his own credibility. I think he was just rambling on trying to get doubt in the minds of the jury. Even if it were true, it doesn’t change GWIV’s guilt according to Ohio laws…
The jury had the front row seat to see actions and reactions voice fluctuations, etc., that we did not see and hear. Add to that the testimony of BCI’s expert specialty agents.
No link so my opinion only…

It has been mentioned some but I think it needs to be again. The job BCI did in this case was phenomenal. The minute details they found. The investigative work. The forensic testing. The way they explained what they did and why they came to the conclusions they did in an easy to understand way. Their professional appearance made them credible. I am very happy to know Ohio has that caliber of people solving crimes. So often LE gets a bad rap but these agents deserve recognition for their work.
My opinion only and hopefully yours, too…

It has been mentioned some but I think it needs to be again. The job BCI did in this case was phenomenal. The minute details they found. The investigative work. The forensic testing. The way they explained what they did and why they came to the conclusions they did in an easy to understand way. Their professional appearance made them credible. I am very happy to know Ohio has that caliber of people solving crimes. So often LE gets a bad rap but these agents deserve recognition for their work.
Absolutely! We can see the emotion on their faces after the verdict.. they were crying and hugging one another.

I want to go back and listen to the BCI agent again that pieced together the shoe evidence. I recall she was able to tell what the shoe was from a database I think it was. They knew what kind of shoe they were looking for very early on. I recall they asked for the Walmart's to hold the video of any purchase from Jan 1 2016 until April 21st in a 50 mile radius. There were so many pieces that they put together that ended up being key in this case. When people take so many precautions to not get caught, it takes really good investigative work and they did it!

Spot on! BCI were the rock stars of the investigation, IMO. Experts in their fields and their efforts were bar none. BCI worked tirelessly to ensure there were no loose ends or gaps in the findings. BCI lived and breathed this case to secure justice for the victims and their families and the people of OH. Their dedication to justice went above and beyond the call of duty. I commend BCI for their service and the sacrifices made to help get dangerous criminals out of society/off our streets that don’t belong and can’t contribute to society in a positive legal manner and humane way. IMO

I agree. And give the prosecutors some credit for knowing that however boring some people might have found it, they needed to establish what the investigative process was to avoid the defense crying "witch hunt" and trying the Rhodens for growing weed and cockfighting and alleged child sex abuse. Flipping two defendants was crucial, since their testimony largely corroborated each other on the major points. But all of the forensic evidence gathered and prepared for trial is so impressive, especially in a poor county. Canepa may not be the most dynamic speaker but she built the case in the right way, never forgetting that we will likely never know for sure who shot whom but that being at the murder scene was enough for conviction on 8 counts of aggravated murder and a lot more. And truly, unless you've spent 6 hours a day examining witnesses who are grieving, fragile, hostile, untrustworthy or vulnerable, day after day, for months, all the while building a story that is understandable by a jury of non-experts, maybe we don't understand the grueling work and effort she put forth--and while recovering from COVID.

I absolutely agree! And their interview of Angela Wagner at the border was text book. It was phenomenal. First they built a little rapport. Tried to explain that they wanted to interview her away from ohio and all the gossip and people talking in Pike county. Got her comfortable. Got her talking. Then they brought up one piece of evidence in a way where she still kept talking and did not invoke her 5th amendment rights. Kept her talking then brought up the second piece of evidence, again in a way where she felt like she should keep talking. Absolutely brilliant on BCI's part. Then the last/final piece of evidence brought up in a way where she lied first, then they produced the receipt for the shoes, then they showed her video surveillance photos. Then she finally realized they were onto her/them. That is when she finally invoked her 5th amendment rights.

I agree. And give the prosecutors some credit for knowing that however boring some people might have found it, they needed to establish what the investigative process was to avoid the defense crying "witch hunt" and trying the Rhodens for growing weed and cockfighting and alleged child sex abuse. Flipping two defendants was crucial, since their testimony largely corroborated each other on the major points. But all of the forensic evidence gathered and prepared for trial is so impressive, especially in a poor county. Canepa may not be the most dynamic speaker but she built the case in the right way, never forgetting that we will likely never know for sure who shot whom but that being at the murder scene was enough for conviction on 8 counts of aggravated murder and a lot more. And truly, unless you've spent 6 hours a day examining witnesses who are grieving, fragile, hostile, untrustworthy or vulnerable, day after day, for months, all the while building a story that is understandable by a jury of non-experts, maybe we don't understand the grueling work and effort she put forth--and while recovering from COVID.
I agree AC did a great job in laying the foundation for the case to be built on. She wasn’t threatening or scary to the jury and she got them to pay attention. She didn’t use big words nor talk down to them as if she were superior. Then Wilson reminded them of the discrepancies they heard and that both can’t be correct…

I understood the indictment from 2018.
I understood that legally GW was technically innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
I understood that the jury could not read WS, talk about the case to anyone or read anything.
I understood the closing etc.

The Jury found GW guilty based on the evidence and prosecution.

I like AC but I am glad that W closed it out.

I look forward to GW sentencing and for the victims to be able to speak out.

Dec 2

Even as attention in the #PikeCountyMassacre case shifts to George "Billy" Wagner III, the Rhoden family civil suit remains unresolved. Tony D. Rhoden Sr. filed the wrongful death case Nov. 10, 2020, seeking unspecified damages from the Wagners. 1/6

Rhoden attorney Brian K. Duncan, of BKD Legal LLC in Sunbury, Ohio, said today that the Rhodens are still "actively engaged in the civil litigation process." 2/6

"With every guilty verdict or plea, we move closer to achieving our ultimate goal, which is to hold the Wagner and/or Newcomb families financially accountable for the atrocities committed against the Rhoden, Manley and Gilley families,” Duncan said via email. 3/6

Tony Rhoden, through his attorney, added this: “One more down and one to go.” He was referring to George Wagner IV, who on Wednesday was found guilty of 22 counts in the 2016 killings of seven members of the Rhoden family and one future member. 4/6

Rhoden named all eight victims as co-plaintiffs in the case. He filed against Wagner IV, his father, mother, brother and grandmothers in Pike County Common Pleas court -- the same venue for all of the criminal cases against the Wagners. 5/6

Tony Rhoden, earlier in @Enquirer, said the civil suit would ensure that any money generated by publicity over the case would go to victims’ surviving children. 6/6

Dec 8

Fresh from the #PikeCountyMassacre trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, Special Prosecutor D. Andrew Wilson has been tapped as the next director of the Ohio Department of Public Safety.

Wilson, senior adviser for criminal justice policy for Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, earlier served as Clark County prosecutor. "Andy Wilson has been an invaluable asset to Ohio prosecutors and law enforcement throughout his distinguished career in public service,” DeWine said.

Wilson prosecuted Wagner IV with Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk and co-Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa. Wagner IV was convicted on eight counts of aggravated murder and 14 other charges on Nov. 30. He'll be sentenced Dec. 19.

Wilson, a resident of Springfield, earned an undergraduate degree at Wright State University and law degree at University of Dayton. If confirmed by the Ohio Senate, Wilson will succeed Tom Stickrath, who retires at the end of the year.

Dec 8

Fresh from the #PikeCountyMassacre trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV, Special Prosecutor D. Andrew Wilson has been tapped as the next director of the Ohio Department of Public Safety.

Wilson, senior adviser for criminal justice policy for Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, earlier served as Clark County prosecutor. "Andy Wilson has been an invaluable asset to Ohio prosecutors and law enforcement throughout his distinguished career in public service,” DeWine said.

Wilson prosecuted Wagner IV with Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk and co-Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa. Wagner IV was convicted on eight counts of aggravated murder and 14 other charges on Nov. 30. He'll be sentenced Dec. 19.

Wilson, a resident of Springfield, earned an undergraduate degree at Wright State University and law degree at University of Dayton. If confirmed by the Ohio Senate, Wilson will succeed Tom Stickrath, who retires at the end of the year.
Great news! Sounds like a promotion for Prosecutor Andy Wilson.

I understood the indictment from 2018.
I understood that legally GW was technically innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
I understood that the jury could not read WS, talk about the case to anyone or read anything.
I understood the closing etc.

The Jury found GW guilty based on the evidence and prosecution.

I like AC but I am glad that W closed it out.

I look forward to GW sentencing and for the victims to be able to speak out.
I agree. George got a fair trial. He had excellent Defense attorneys. However the Jury found him Guilty on all 22 counts and All specifications that were included in any of the counts. If you read the specifications for just the 8 murder charges, the jury is basically saying he was on Union Hill road that night. The jury found him guilty of being present during the murders with a weapon "on or about his person". I think that is extremely significant when it comes time for his sentencing. He did not just buy a bug detector or purchase a truck and then not go along that night. The Jury heard enough evidence to say he was there at all 4 crime scenes with a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard