Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not new information or anything of the like, but as I am listing the NamUs rule-outs, I notice a huge difference in ages. So far, the youngest rule-out is Donna Barnhill at 14, and the oldest, Diane Chorba at 41 (at time of BG's murder). Just thought I'd share.

I know with Tammy, they estimated her age to be 16 based on her teeth...they were right on! Since BG's wisdom teeth were erupted and intact, maybe they could use that information to guess her age? I clearly know very little about this

Who is Susan Hallowell? She is listed on the rule-out list and I cannot find any information on her, except she is from Florida.

So if anyone could point me to a sheriff or ME rule-out list, if it exists, it'd be much appreciated. TIA :)

I know Pamela Harvey Rousseau from Ontario was ruled out by dentals after I emailed Steve Lord. It isn't on NamUs and Pamela looked EXACTLY like BG. I'm sure adding her to BG's list would help a lot of other sleuths that see the resemblance but aren't sure if law enforcement knows.

Since BG's wisdom teeth were erupted and intact, maybe they could use that information to guess her age? I clearly know very little about this

I personally feel that Buckskin Girl wasn't younger than 18 (give or take a year). She looked mature, but then again, Kase Lee (possible Green River victim) was 16 and looked much closer to her early 20s and Orange Socks looks like she could be any age between 17 and 32.

To my eye, in the postmortem pictures, she looks about 25ish but I wouldn't be surprised if she was younger and just had a mature face.

FWIW, the April 30th newspaper article seeking her identity says she is "in her mid-twenties."

I know Willie Nelson had released an album in 1981, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", where he was wearing braids. This was brought up a couple years ago but I thought I would mention again.

Maybe she was dressed that way because she was going to a Willie Nelson concert? Perhaps she was from a nearby town, ex. Dayton, and had gone to a concert against her abusive SO's wishes, and he attacked her after she took her shoes off. Maybe that is a stretch, but some abusers are very, very controlling and violent, and if he was quick to anger, that could have set him off. Is it possible to access old concert dates/locations online?

I wonder which came first--the blows or the strangulation. I'm thinking, maybe the blows came first, he knocked her unconscious without purposely murdering her, and he realized that people would start to talk. So he "finished" the job, by strangling her. He then dumped her body in an obscure place he was somewhat familiar with.

He may have either told people she ran away and he never saw her again, or he had isolated her so much, as abusers often do, that she had no contact with past family and friends.

Of course, this is all just wild speculation. The thought randomly came to me today.

April 23, 1981 will mark the 35th anniversary of Buckskin Girl's death. :rose:

Buckskin Girl doesn't get much publicity, so the 35th anniversary will be a good opportunity to refresh people's memories.

You have so much interest in this case and I think that's a good thing. :)

I've been fascinated with this case for a long time, too. I'm convinced that she was "Wendy Susan Byron" (still not on the exclusions list) and I would really like to get her considered and or ruled out by the anniversary of BG's passing.

Please check this woman out, Beverly England, and see what you think. She's a little older, but I think she looks very much like Buckskin Jane's morgue photo. Unfoprtunately, there's little info to go on this one, no height, no weight. She disappeared from Salido, CO in June of 1980. Apparently took off with someone leaving her kids behind. That's kind of discouraging because there's no mention of Buckskin Jane as having previously given birth. Then too, there's no mention of her jewelry, and it's clear in the morgue photo that she's wearing earrings.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/england_beverly.html

According to the doe network Buckskin Jane's ears are unpierced.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by justthinkin

Please check this woman out, Beverly England, and see what you think. She's a little older, but I think she looks very much like Buckskin Jane's morgue photo. Unfoprtunately, there's little info to go on this one, no height, no weight. She disappeared from Salido, CO in June of 1980. Apparently took off with someone leaving her kids behind. That's kind of discouraging because there's no mention of Buckskin Jane as having previously given birth. Then too, there's no mention of her jewelry, and it's clear in the morgue photo that she's wearing earrings.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...d_beverly.html

According to the doe network Buckskin Jane's ears are unpierced.

Beverly England's remains were ID'd in Oct 2015.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/10/07/dna-helps-identify-possible-murder-victim-in-cold-case/

Could she be from Indianapolis? It would be pretty easy to access Troy from there, and the states' communication was fairly poor back then so nobody would have heard about it in the papers.

I still believe she is not listed in any public databases, and I also still believe she was the victim of domestic abuse. If that is the case, her SO/killer could have told her family she "just ran off". If she was over 18 (which I suspect) she would be considered legally allowed to "run away", and her parents most likely died without answers, which is horrible.

I wonder if she is listed as having predeceased her parents in their obituaries. It's such a horrible, horrible case.

she looks 18+ to me. I just can't believe that we haven't identified her after all these years considering we have such a clear picture of her and how she looked like. Not to mention, red hair + freckles are not that common of a trait, like there must be a red headed family that's missing her somewhere. I wonder if she was from a foreign country, who really knows. SOMEONE knows her and it's just crazy that we can't identify her. I just feel like we have to keep sharing her picture, someone from that time frame has to remember her.

Also, I wonder how she got all those scars? Seems like an awful lot of scarring, i wonder if she was in a car accident or something prior to this tragedy. Or, as was already mentioned, could be a sign of abuse.

Has anyone considered that she was a member of a cult? Troy, OH is located just south of New Knoxville, OH which is the headquarters of The Way International, a religious cult that was plagued with rumors of sexual misconduct and abuse.

The late 70s and early 80s was when membership peaked, a large number of which were college students because they set up an ambassadorship program that aggressively recruited on college campuses across the country.

The cult operated bases/camps/colleges/training facilities in Colorado, Indiana, New Mexico, and Kansas. I think there may have also been one in California.

The Jonestown Massacre occurred in 1978 and was still prominent in people's minds. For fringe religions, any rumors of suicide, abuse, or murder would need to be hidden or else risk being compared to Jonestown.

Easter Sunday was April 19 in 1981. Is it possible that Buckskin Girl was a Corps member attending Easter celebrations at the compound?

If it was an abusive spouse, The Way still wouldn't be inclined to file a missing persons report as they already had a questionable reputation and in her parents mind she was already missing because she had run away to join a cult.

Has anyone considered that she was a member of a cult? Troy, OH is located just south of New Knoxville, OH which is the headquarters of The Way International, a religious cult that was plagued with rumors of sexual misconduct and abuse.

The late 70s and early 80s was when membership peaked, a large number of which were college students because they set up an ambassadorship program that aggressively recruited on college campuses across the country.

The cult operated bases/camps/colleges/training facilities in Colorado, Indiana, New Mexico, and Kansas. I think there may have also been one in California.

The Jonestown Massacre occurred in 1978 and was still prominent in people's minds. For fringe religions, any rumors of suicide, abuse, or murder would need to be hidden or else risk being compared to Jonestown.

Easter Sunday was April 19 in 1981. Is it possible that Buckskin Girl was a Corps member attending Easter celebrations at the compound?

If it was an abusive spouse, The Way still wouldn't be inclined to file a missing persons report as they already had a questionable reputation and in her parents mind she was already missing because she had run away to join a cult.

Just wanted to let you know I love your thinking! This seems really possible. If she had met a spouse from within The Way, then that would be another reason for not being reported missing.

And The Way operates in Indiana like you said!

There is a forum of former Way members called GreaseSpot Cafe (A church leader once said of anyone trying to leave, "You'll be a greasespot by midnight!" - predicting that the devil would run them over in the same way a car might flatten a possum on the highway, leaving a "greasespot" on the road.)

They have a specific forum for tracking lost friends. I've started going through the posts but there are so many names.

she looks 18+ to me. I just can't believe that we haven't identified her after all these years considering we have such a clear picture of her and how she looked like. Not to mention, red hair + freckles are not that common of a trait, like there must be a red headed family that's missing her somewhere. I wonder if she was from a foreign country, who really knows. SOMEONE knows her and it's just crazy that we can't identify her. I just feel like we have to keep sharing her picture, someone from that time frame has to remember her.

Her pictures are very clear, and she's definitely recognizable. Her chin is so distinct from the side view, but you can't see it from the front view photos at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea