OK OK - Sheryl/Cheryl Denise Taylor, 12, Picher, July 1978

HopeRains

My name is Lisa Coburn Kesler.
Reaction score
Not in Namus, nor can I find a thread.

1673572452425.png

CRIME
What happened to a Picher teen missing for 45 years?

by: Sheila Stogsdill
Posted: Jan 12, 2023 / 03:46 PM CST
Updated: Jan 12, 2023 / 04:22 PM CST

Sheryl Taylor hasn't been seen since July 20, 1978

PICHER, Okla. — A retired law enforcement officer is seeking clues to what happened to 12-year-old Sheryl Denise Taylor who has been missing since 1978.
Taylor was last seen standing on the sidewalk in front of a Picher grocery store on that July day between 7:15 to 7:30 p.m. or across the street from the grocery store in front of the gate that secured a fenced-in four square block area, published reports state.
Mark Wall wants to know what happened to her.
Wall, a former police chief, is spending his retirement years working for the district attorney’s office attempting to solve cold cases in Delaware and Ottawa counties.

Sheryl Denise Taylor​

A few published reports at that time show the spelling of Taylor’s first name as Cheryl.
While there are missing parts in Taylor’s investigation file, what is known about the hazel-eyed, red-headed pre-teen was she was small, maybe weighing 60 pounds. She was last seen wearing yellow shorts, a sweatshirt, and was barefooted. She sometimes wore a patch over one eye. She had a temper and did not like living in Picher. Her family arrived in Picher from Nowata County.

Days after her disappearance, her mother, Hilda Taylor and the rest of her family moved from Picher.
“Authorities followed up on the family’s haste in leaving the area,” Wall said. “They (authorities) couldn’t connect anything to their leaving the area. Maybe it was too much for the family to stay in the area.”
“In 1978, I was a student at NEO and working as a volunteer for the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department,” Wall said.
“I was there the day the phone call came in about Sheryl Taylor,” Wall said. “I spent days with another officer walking the chat piles (in Picher),” Wall said.

Some of the dead-end leads investigators pursued over four decades ago were that Taylor ran away to Kansas City, Kansas and stayed with a family friend. The friend was described as “a junk dealer,” according to published reports.

Another lead was the girl was a victim of a sect of satan worshipers “who had skinned the girl and staked her to a chat pile,” according to published reports.

This theory was quickly denounced.

Because of the thousands of mining shafts, mining ponds, and other mining-related areas in the Picher area – one theory was Taylor fell in a mine shaft.

“One of the top suspects in Taylor’s disappearance was Karl Myers, although there was never enough evidence to support bringing charges,” Wall said.

Myers was convicted in 1979 in Ottawa County District Court of assault with intent to rape and served six years. He died on December 28, 2012, at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester, Oklahoma.

Julia Miller​

Wall also wants to know who killed 13-year-old Julia Miller in 1977.

Miller’s remains were found in April 1978 bound by barbed wire to a tree across the Kansas state line in Cherokee County. Published reports from that time suggest she was bound to the tree alive. The teen had left her Picher home on June 1, 1977, to go for ice cream at a local convenience store.

Miller’s disappearance was just two weeks before the killings of the three Locust Grove Girl Scouts.

“That had to be on the mind of parents and the community,” Wall said. “All of the area communities were on high alert.”

Publications sometimes refer to the teen as “Julie” and her age being from 12 to 14 years old.

Ellen Deann Rowden​

Myers was also a suspect in the death of 23-year-old Ellen Deann Rowden, who was last seen on Aug. 1, 1977, at a Picher bar with three other people. Her remains were discovered near Miller’s remains in 1978.

Wall said it appears she was also bound to a tree.

Wall said Myers, a convicted sex offender, dated Rowden and had lived with the Miller girl’s mother. He was tried and acquitted in Rowden’s death.

Myers was also linked to the death of Tina Duffell, 36, of Quapaw, and the 1978 shooting death of Charles “Chink” Enders, of Picher.

Duffell, a part-time clerk at the Quapaw post office and a small convenience store in the town, was abducted from the store in the summer of 1974. Her body was later found with multiple stab wounds in an old mining pond northwest of Quapaw, according to published reports.

Enders was shot to death and his body was thrown into a mine shaft. Investigators theorized that he was killed for his Social Security money after having cashed his monthly check, according to published reports.

Wall said he hopes there are people who may have information no matter how small will contact him at the District Attorney’s office in Jay and Miami.

Picher Girl Lead False
PICHER - The Ottawa County sheriff's office ran down still another false lead Wednesday in the continuing search for a 12-year-old Picher girl who disappeared July 20 outside a grocery store. Sheriff Floyd Ingram said his office received a report that a girl matching the description of Sheryl Denise Taylor was seen at a Joplin. Mo., swimming pool over. the weekend, but a deputy sent to investigate identified that girl Wednesday as someone else. "We're still hoping she's staying with someone, and that she's too scared now to say where she is and the people she's staying with at e too scared," the sheriff said. But he said that as the days pa.ss. he is more and more fearful of foul play. Sheriff Ingram said three witnesses can place the girl outside the grocery store between 7:15 and 7:30 p.m., but that no one apparently saw her enter or leave the store

Sheryl Denise Taylor​

• taylor_sheryl.jpg
Sheryl, circa 1978
  • Missing Since07/20/1978
  • Missing FromPicher, Oklahoma
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • SexFemale
  • RaceWhite
  • Age12 years old
  • Height and Weight4'0, 60 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA sweatshirt, yellow shorts and no shoes or socks.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Red hair, hazel eyes. Sheryl is supposed to waear a patch over one eye, but she often takes it off.

Details of Disappearance​

Sheryl was last seen in Picher, Oklahoma between 7:15 and 7:30 p.m. on July 20, 1978. She was standing across the street from a grocery store, in front of a gate to a fenced-in four-block area which had been condemned in the 1950s. Her mother sent her to the store to buy some things, but Sheryl never returned home and it's unclear whether she actually went inside the store. She has never been heard from again.
She and her family had recently moved to Picher from Nowata County, Oklahoma. Sheryl reportedly disliked it in Picher. Just days after her disappearance, her family moved away again. Sheryl's teachers stated she had a temper and was in need of guidance. She had talked to friends about possibly running away with a local man, described as a "junk dealer."
Authorities initially thought Sheryl might have run away from home to go stay with her sister, who was married and lived in Galena, Kansas. Sheryl's sister was on a trip when Sheryl disappeared and authorities were initially unable to locate her. When they found her, she and her husband said they hadn't seen or heard from Sheryl.
Karl Myers, a suspected serial killer, is a suspect in Sheryl's disappearance. He had a criminal record dating back to 1965 and a history of attacking and sexually assaulting girls Sheryl's age.
In 1978, he was charged with the murder of Ellen Deann Rowden, who disappeared in 1977. Her skeletal remains were found tied in a tree in 1978; she had been beaten to death. Myers was acquitted in this case, but later convicted of killing two other women and sentenced to death. He died in prison in 2012. It's unclear whether he was involved in Sheryl's case.
Although it's possible Sheryl ran away from home, it would be very unusual for a runaway to drop out of sight without a trace for this long. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department

Source Information​

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated January 19, 2023; casefile added.

Gathered everything I could find:

27 July 1978, Sapulpa Daily Herald, pg 6
1674591965261.png

3 August 1978, The Daily Oklahoman, pg 79
1674592052566.png

5 August 1978, The Tulsa World, pg 20
1674592091279.png

29 August 1978, The Daily Oklahoman, pg 31
1674592167965.png

7 September 1978, The Tulsa World, pg 61
1674592301698.png

26 October 1978, The Daily Oklahoman, pg 94
1674592370630.png

21 July 1979, The Daily Oklahoman, pg 55
1674592205406.png

22 July 1979, The Okmulgee Daily Times, pg 6
1674591816379.png

30 January 1983, The Daily Oklahoman, pg 13
1674592464689.png

15 April 1983, The Tulsa World, pg 9
1674592533541.png

The bones mentioned above turned out to be that a of a middle age man.

Ummm Hello?
What do you think?
I bolded what I thought lined up with Sheryl's Charley Project Discription
Picher OK is 8 hours from Iola TX

1674666554348.png1674666563802.png

Demographics​

Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Possible First Name Cheryl
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated Age Group Late Teen/Young Adult
Estimated Age Range (Years)13-19
Estimated Year of Death1976-1981
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 3"(63 inches) , Estimated
Weight110 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances​

Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found October 29, 1981
NamUs Case Created October 14, 2008
ME/C QA Reviewed November 15, 2011

Location Found Map

Location Iola, Texas 77861
County Grimes County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)30.738996 -96.081422
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Recovery Estimated date of death could be as much as 5 years prior to 1981. Found near FM 244. Right handed.

Details of Recovery​

Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Circumstance Notes​

Agency Case #: 05-1209-03DA; 00-08614

Grimes County Sheriff's Office Lt. Daniel Wagnon Agency Case #: F-81-309 00-08614

Physical Description​

Hair Color Red/Auburn
Head Hair Description Red/Dark Auburn
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown
Eye Description Unknown

I figured I would submit anyway, since they found skeletal remains. I put a read receipt on my email and it hasn't been read yet. (I sent yesterday)
Don’t worry I think it’s a good possibility because of the hair color and the name “Cheryl.” I’m just saying what I saw and read is all. Hope you receive a response asap!! Sheryl’s NamUs was restricted the last time I checked and was last modified on my submissions list on 01/23

Sheryl has been considered as a possible match for the Valencia Jane Doe/UP4388. They seem to have the same distinctive eye feature.

So many Jane Doe's come to mind when thinking of her. One notable one is Becca. Sheryl would be about 25 at the time. Height does seem like an issue though. I can't tell how similar they are. I think we need an age progression and one would be on the table by NCMEC as Sheryl was 12.

So many Jane Doe's come to mind when thinking of her. One notable one is Becca. Sheryl would be about 25 at the time. Height does seem like an issue though. I can't tell how similar they are. I think we need an age progression and one would be on the table by NCMEC as Sheryl was 12.
It looks like Sheryl’s disappearance was just reopened after probably at least 40 years so NCMEC will likely be asked to assist in the investigation at some point but maybe not right now

I found a yearbook photo of her. Look at it and tell me it's not her! This also tells us the town she moved from was Alluwe, Oklahoma. Overjoyed at this find! Everywhere but Charley Project lists her as Cheryl. Is it Cheryl or Sheryl?
Sheryl Taylor.jpg
While writing, I now believe this is the photo from the newspaper article, just a way better quality one. Also confirms this photo was of her a year before her disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101
Back