OK OK - Sheryl/Cheryl Denise Taylor, 12, Picher, July 1978

While I think she could be the Iola Doe, I am not convinced. There's another Jane Doe who IMO, matches up just a but better than the Iola Doe. Could she be the Vidor Jane Doe instead? Probably gonna have to submit through Facebook like @chaddylex did but if it means getting her name back I will.
Vidor Jane Doe.jpg
OK - OK - Sheryl/Cheryl Denise Taylor, 12, Picher, July 1978 | Page 2 |  Websleuths

Now, I will get the main point out right now, this Doe had short hair and Sheryl did not. I have two solutions to this.
1. She cut he hair if she ran away after her disappearance.
2. Her hair was short when she disappeared.
I have one piece of evidence for this and it is the unconfirmed yearbook photo of Sheryl from 1978 in Picher.
sheryl-taylor-1978-jpg.398876

While I NEVER point out hairstyle, the hair length and style seem very, very close. From what I see, everything does match with face shape and proportions. Height is close and even has the potential to be even closer. Time for the table:
Vidor Jane Doe UP4574Sheryl Denise Taylor- Charley Proj.
SexFemaleFemale
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucsaian
Age12 - 2012
DLC/DOD1983 - 1984July 20, 1978
Height4'10 - 5'24'
WeightUnknown60 pounds
Hair ColorBrownRed/Auburn
Eye ColorUnknownHazel
Distinctive FeaturesUnknownSupposed to wear a patch over one eye but often takes it off.
CircumstancesFound in field.Last seen in Picher, OK. Notably didn't like it there.
DistancePicher - Vidor553 miles (9hrs 17mins)
I feel that timing and location are the only problems here. I know hair color but I have seen hair color change slightly post-mortem in some cases.

An older sister of Cheryl Taylor, a Picher girl missing for 45 years, is providing Texas authorities with a DNA sample in hopes it is a match to the unidentified body of a woman found in 1981.

The sister, who asked not to be immediately identified, lives in a community north of Springfield, Mo.

“What is so strange – after years of not hearing anything I had a dream two nights ago about Cheryl,” the sister said. “I knew in the dream she was dead.”

“I was in shock,” the sister said when learning of the possibility of her sister’s case being solved.

“She had gone to the grocery store for mom,” the sister said. “She didn’t have her glasses on and she was barefooted.”
Cheryl was with several friends on bicycles, and we think they dropped her off about two blocks from the house carrying a bag of groceries, the sister said.

“We don’t believe she ran away,” the sister said.

Cheryl was “happy-go-lucky” and very friendly, according to her sister.

Cheryl’s older sister, Peggy, was supposed to go to the store that day and “Cheryl’s disappearance really messed her up,” the sister said.

Hilda Taylor, Cheryl’s mother, started receiving death threats and she was scared for her children, so after alerting local authorities of her plans to move from the area out of fear, the family moved to Lebanon, Mo., the sister said.

Herman and Hilda Taylor, Cheryl’s parents, were separated at the time of their daughter’s disappearance. Herman had moved to Joplin.

“We didn’t know if dad had something to do with Cheryl’s disappearance,” the sister said. “He was a mean drunk.”

Herman Taylor was described by his daughter as a violent man that “repeatedly beat” Hilda and the children.

-

An older sister of Cheryl Taylor, a Picher girl missing for 45 years, is providing Texas authorities with a DNA sample in hopes it is a match to the unidentified body of a woman found in 1981.

The sister, who asked not to be immediately identified, lives in a community north of Springfield, Mo.

“What is so strange – after years of not hearing anything I had a dream two nights ago about Cheryl,” the sister said. “I knew in the dream she was dead.”

“I was in shock,” the sister said when learning of the possibility of her sister’s case being solved.

Very happy they found a relative so we can get DNA but I'm just not convinced Iola Doe is Sheryl. The Cheryl name comes from Henry Lee Lucas, a man notorious for making false confessions and if he is to be believed, Iola Doe was picked up in North Carolina, 15 hours away from Picher. While she still is a possibility, I think Vidor Jane Doe is a better fit. She matches more if Sheryl's characteristics and the only thing she doesn't match in physical characteristics is hair color. Also, I think police are still under the impression Sheryl had long/medium length hair which is most likely not true given the 1978 yearbook photo. Her hair seems quite short. While I appreciate the work everyone has done and the fact that this has gotten the ball rolling and that I'd love to be proven wrong, I don't think Iola Doe is Sheryl.

You guys beat me to posting the article.(I am out of town for the weekend) I am mentioned in this article. I spoke with the reporter yesterday. Sounds like Cheryl didn’t stand a chance. I am glad they found her sister. Now they will have her DNA to compare to other Jane Does if she doesn’t end up being the one in Texas.

*I’m not familiar enough with this case yet to form an opinion. She’s a sister Oklahoman so this case caught my attention. Admittedly, I’m confused about the references to other Does, I’m not even sure I posted in the correct thread…

“I have been in contact with the Ottawa County Health Department that is going through old records looking for dental records,” said Mark Wall, an Ottawa County Cold Case investigator.

The purpose of obtaining Cheryl Taylor’s dental records is to compare them to the dental records of a Texas Jane Doe, he said.

Grimes County Jane Doe was found alongside a highway in Grimes County, Texas in 1981. Her skeletal remains showed the teen had extensive dental work.

“We are not sure if the Tar Creek environmental problems led or might have created dental problems for Cheryl,” Wall said.

“She had a lot of dental work, including four fillings and she also had small circle discolorations on her teeth, and her wisdom teeth had not come in yet,” said former Justice of the Peace John LeFlore referring to the Grimes County case. LeFlore was the lead investigator in the “Grimes County Jane Doe” case.

“The dental work was very professional,” LeFlore said.

No updates yet. It seems LE is really banking on this being Sheryl as they have not reached out to me on the Vidor Jane Doe. They saw my message on February 10 and never responded. I hope they keep an open mind and to test Vidor Jane Doe along with Iola Jane Doe.

No updates yet. It seems LE is really banking on this being Sheryl as they have not reached out to me on the Vidor Jane Doe. They saw my message on February 10 and never responded. I hope they keep an open mind and to test Vidor Jane Doe along with Iola Jane Doe.
I have been in touch with the authorities and the reporter. They are waiting for the DNA to be analyzed from Cheryl's sister. They are hoping for an answer soon. I was told that Othram is the one doing the DNA comparison.

I have been in touch with the authorities and the reporter. They are waiting for the DNA to be analyzed from Cheryl's sister. They are hoping for an answer soon. I was told that Othram is the one doing the DNA comparison.
Wait... Othram? Is Othram working on this case? I'd say they will do DNA comparison with Vidor Jane Doe if Iola Jane Doe doesn't match. I hope we get answers soon so Sheryl can either be tested against Vidor Jane Doe, or she finally gets reunited with her family.

Wait... Othram? Is Othram working on this case? I'd say they will do DNA comparison with Vidor Jane Doe if Iola Jane Doe doesn't match. I hope we get answers soon so Sheryl can either be tested against Vidor Jane Doe, or she finally gets reunited with her family.
Yes, that's what I was told. I guess they were the ones who did the DNA profile for Iola Jane Doe.
When I was interviewed by the reporter two weeks ago, they found Cheryl's sister the night before and were sending her a DNA test to take. Last week when I followed up, Othram should have been receiving the kit w/ her DNA by the end of last week.

@chaddylex has there been any updates on the Iola Jane Doe? Personally, I have become convinced she is Iola Jane Doe as I have found a very good match for Vidor Jane Doe.

I hope we can get answers on Iola Jane Doe's connection soon... No word from Sheryl's contact... I have no idea if she is even being considered for Vidor Jane Doe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back