OK OK - Sheryl/Cheryl Denise Taylor, 12, Picher, July 1978

I found a yearbook photo of her. Look at it and tell me it's not her! This also tells us the town she moved from was Alluwe, Oklahoma. Overjoyed at this find! Everywhere but Charley Project lists her as Cheryl. Is it Cheryl or Sheryl?
View attachment 398871
While writing, I now believe this is the photo from the newspaper article, just a way better quality one. Also confirms this photo was of her a year before her disappearance.
That's definitely the same photo as the news article! Great findScreen Shot 2023-01-30 at 8.37.54 PM.png

I found a yearbook photo of her. Look at it and tell me it's not her! This also tells us the town she moved from was Alluwe, Oklahoma. Overjoyed at this find! Everywhere but Charley Project lists her as Cheryl. Is it Cheryl or Sheryl?
View attachment 398871
While writing, I now believe this is the photo from the newspaper article, just a way better quality one. Also confirms this photo was of her a year before her disappearance.
1675129224766.png

View attachment 398871
I'll email the administrator at Charley Project if you want so that she can replace the old photo.

This one is either not her or a new photo of her. It does look like her. This one is from Picher in '78. It would make so much sense if it was her. The '77 photo in the last comment was 4th grade and this one is 5th grade. Pleased with these finds as comparisons would be very difficult without the new photos.
Wouldn't rely on this as even though it looks a lot like her, it's unconfirmed. Sure looks like her though.
Sheryl Taylor 1978.jpg
Date even matches here. Sheryl went missing in what I assume would be summer break, after the photo would have been taken if I believe correctly. After staring at the two side by side I think it's her. They look very similar for it not to be her.
I'll email the administrator at Charley Project if you want so that she can replace the old photo.
That would be great! Thank you! If we all feel strongly about this one you can discuss it with her too but I wouldn't give it too much though. Just an idea of what she could look like closer to her disappearance.

This one is either not her or a new photo of her. It does look like her. This one is from Picher in '78. It would make so much sense if it was her. The '77 photo in the last comment was 4th grade and this one is 5th grade. Pleased with these finds as comparisons would be very difficult without the new photos.
Wouldn't rely on this as even though it looks a lot like her, it's unconfirmed. Sure looks like her though.
View attachment 398876
Date even matches here. Sheryl went missing in what I assume would be summer break, after the photo would have been taken if I believe correctly. After staring at the two side by side I think it's her. They look very similar for it not to be her.

That would be great! Thank you! If we all feel strongly about this one you can discuss it with her too but I wouldn't give it too much though. Just an idea of what she could look like closer to her disappearance.
I emailed her and sent the photo.

I emailed her and sent the photo.
Thank you! Very happy I found this as if Sheryl is a Jane Doe it will be easier to find her. The newspaper articles photo is squashed and doesn't provide an accurate shot of her face. Her face is much more wide and short than in the newspaper photo.

@chaddylex compared her to a Jane Doe early into the search. I would like to make a side by side with the recon and the higher quality photo.
1674666554348.png
Sheryl Taylor.jpg

They look very similar with the new photo. I was unconvinced with the other one. I must say the bone structure is larger and the eyes are much closer together but I don't know how accurate this sketch is.

Thank you. I still haven't heard a peep from anyone. Not even a read receipt. I am going to look and see who else I can contact.

So the wacko that I am, contacted the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department (which is listed on Sheryl's Charley Project profile as the investigating agency) - thru their FB page. I went on their website and they didn't have any emails listed, and I hate calling, so FB it was.

Hopefully I will get some type of response.

Sheryl really needs to be entered into NamUs.

So the wacko that I am, contacted the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department (which is listed on Sheryl's Charley Project profile as the investigating agency) - thru their FB page. I went on their website and they didn't have any emails listed, and I hate calling, so FB it was.

Hopefully I will get some type of response.

Sheryl really needs to be entered into NamUs.
I know. @Mysteries1974 said they submitted her to NamUs on the 18th so I hope we wont have to wait too much longer. I have a Jane Doe that I though could be her but I'm not sure as some things don't line up like age and height. The Jane Doe is quite well known and looks like another MP I am awaiting feedback on more than Sheryl IMO.

I know. @Mysteries1974 said they submitted her to NamUs on the 18th so I hope we wont have to wait too much longer. I have a Jane Doe that I though could be her but I'm not sure as some things don't line up like age and height. The Jane Doe is quite well known and looks like another MP I am awaiting feedback on more than Sheryl IMO.
NamUs hasn’t updated Sheryl’s case in a week and it’s still restricted. Her name is also changed to Cheryl on it now
1675208520175.jpeg

I think NamUs realised her legal name was Cheryl. Possibly a typo on Charley Project's part? Hope it gets added to NamUs soon.
I don’t think so. In the article that’s been written recently about her disappearance, she is referred to as Sheryl and it makes it a point to say that the newspapers spelled it as “Cheryl.” I’ve seen cases where the name was misspelled in newspapers. I think NamUs is using the name they see in the newspaper clippings I posted in the photo section

So I heard back from the Ottawa County's Sheriffs office via FB messenger. They gave me an email address to send my info to. They are going to have someone look into it. I am just happy someone got back to me. Nothing to lose, this Jane Doe has been identified almost as long as I have been alive along with Sheryl going missing.

Just gonna pile up a few matches here. These range from possible to likely. Also, height is not taken into account with these. I find it very hard to think that a 12 year old could only be 4'0.
633UFCA First is the Rancho Cucamonga Jane Doe. I do see similarities in the recons and Sheryl.
58UFNV Next is Sahara Sue. I see a resemblance but height (I'd say Cheryl was closer to 5'0 - 5'2) seems off. Not to mention the dentures. Possible but I'm not sure.
252UFNJ Next is this Jane Doe found in Sussex County, NJ. Age and height match but location doesn't. The development stage of the third molars seem consistent with a 12 or 13 year old IMO.
1225UFCA Next is the Newhall Jane Doe. I do see a resemblance with the sketch but height and location could be a problem.

526UFKY Finally, I want to mention the Bowling Green Jane Doe. She matches Sheryl's recorded height closest. She would be 16 in 1982, the longest she could have been dead, the oldest age the Doe could be according to NamUs. Even if she died in 1983 - 1984, Doe Network lists her oldest height as 20 instead of 16. I also see a resemblance in the sketch. Unless Sheryl ran away, location may be an issue.

That's them all. If one turns out to be her I'd be very happy.

Last edited:
I just received this article from the Ottawa Sheriff’s office - my phone went off with a message on FB Messenger A I was already sleeping (I get up at 5am for work)

Made me tear up!

I just received this article from the Ottawa Sheriff’s office - my phone went off with a message on FB Messenger A I was already sleeping (I get up at 5am for work)

Made me tear up!

Very happy to see this. Fingers crossed its a match, at very least if it isn't Sheryl's DNA will (hopefully) be in the system.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back