OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

I reached out to PI company and asked if they could run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me it came back to a different name and that the person was still alive. The also told me for them to keep digging there would be a fee. I'm confused about this ssn as I found it on a piece of military paper. Thoughts?

wow.
Are you saying that they would not provide the "other name of someone alive"???

I do think there are other ways to get info..using that ssn number...
Social Security Admin will do something, I think, but not quickly or completely. I don't THINK, anyway

Podcasters in Tue Crime/Missing people may also be a good contact address.
I was thinking that this would be perfect for The Vanished. It is one of the best podcasts out there - talking to all the people involved. Good luck! I've followed along on your journey and you are so determined!

If someone else is using his social security number, that's a serious crime and the feds might want to get involved.
In any case, if I were you, I wouldn't take into account the fact, that someone else might get into trouble. If the SSN is used illegally, that is not your problem, but should be clarified. :)

Last edited:
Without an actual copy of his social security card it would be difficult to make any case that this person is even using his SS number (which could have been incorrectly recorded on his papers). Steve could have accidentally written the wrong thing, purposefully written the wrong thing, could have changed his name and kept using the same number… what is odd to me is that you were first told by the detective that there’s been no activity on the social for many years with no mention that the name is different to now being told by the PI that it belongs to a different person who is alive. Can you tell the detective what the PI told you and ask if they can confirm whether the number is actually a number assigned to Steve? Even though it sounds like a privacy issue to disclose the name of the person using the number I’d think the detective should at least be able to verify whether it does in fact match Steve’s name.

I thought, awhile back, you said that you had been told that that SSN number had not been used for years. So, I am suspicious that this PI firm has come up with this scenario. They can’t both be true.
Excatly. The detective told me that his ssn hasn't been active. This is why my hesitation that this PI came back with answer so quick

Without an actual copy of his social security card it would be difficult to make any case that this person is even using his SS number (which could have been incorrectly recorded on his papers). Steve could have accidentally written the wrong thing, purposefully written the wrong thing, could have changed his name and kept using the same number… what is odd to me is that you were first told by the detective that there’s been no activity on the social for many years with no mention that the name is different to now being told by the PI that it belongs to a different person who is alive. Can you tell the detective what the PI told you and ask if they can confirm whether the number is actually a number assigned to Steve? Even though it sounds like a privacy issue to disclose the name of the person using the number I’d think the detective should at least be able to verify whether it does in fact match Steve’s name.
I didn't even think to ask the detective. Thank you.

The same three possibilities went through my head as well. Also, someone could have "stolen" it along the way. Many ssn's have been stolen, when someone is deceased. THAT information would still be "closure" for you @Snoangel26 .
IF there is a second person who used it, it would be good if the detective can track down the location where that person lives/lived. But may not provide any real info either.

Snoangel26 said;
"I reached out to PI company and asked if they could
run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me
it came back to a different name and that the person
was still alive."
"The detective told me that his ssn hasn't been active."

Both statements could still be true, if the SSN hasn't
been used for years. There's the possibility someone
used it for false ID purposes in the last century...
say, to try and access veteran benefits or some such
thing. Alternatively, the information on the internet
is rather rubbery as to whether someoneelse can be
accidently issued a previously issued number... seems
like it might be a thing, although the false ID purpose
theory seems more likely.
Rather than bothering your local police about this,
which is really a Federal matter, I'd talk to whatever
Federal Law Enforcement agency you've been talking
to in regard to Stephen Murphy, (NCIS?) to report a
possible incidence of false ID usage of the SSN,
preferably getting the result of their enquiries in
writing. Then, if you ever have to go before a Judge
to assert that Stephen Murphy is believed to be
deceased, and the Judge happens to ask if his SSN
has been active, you'll be able to produce a document
from LE that shows that while the SSN has been used
since 1974, at least LE has determined that the person
who used the SSN is NOT your Stephen Murphy.

Snoangel26 said;
"I reached out to PI company and asked if they could
run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me
it came back to a different name and that the person
was still alive."
"The detective told me that his ssn hasn't been active."

Both statements could still be true, if the SSN hasn't
been used for years. There's the possibility someone
used it for false ID purposes in the last century...
say, to try and access veteran benefits or some such
thing. Alternatively, the information on the internet
is rather rubbery as to whether someoneelse can be
accidently issued a previously issued number... seems
like it might be a thing, although the false ID purpose
theory seems more likely.
Rather than bothering your local police about this,
which is really a Federal matter, I'd talk to whatever
Federal Law Enforcement agency you've been talking
to in regard to Stephen Murphy, (NCIS?) to report a
possible incidence of false ID usage of the SSN,
preferably getting the result of their enquiries in
writing. Then, if you ever have to go before a Judge
to assert that Stephen Murphy is believed to be
deceased, and the Judge happens to ask if his SSN
has been active, you'll be able to produce a document
from LE that shows that while the SSN has been used
since 1974, at least LE has determined that the person
who used the SSN is NOT your Stephen Murphy.
The only law enforcement I've been in contact with is the detective that took the missing person report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haor.org
Back