OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

dark_shadows said:
Hi Buzz,:)
I watched a show on the family a couple of days ago.
I also read this article;
Scientists: Donner Family Not Cannibals

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
d_s, it was just a matter of survival; cannibalism is not at all uncommon in such situations; it has happened many times before, and since, and faced with the alternative I kind of wonder, how many of us, faced with similar circumstances, wouldn't do the same thing??

Buzzm1 said:
d_s, it was just a matter of survival; cannibalism is not at all uncommon in such situations; it has happened many times before, and since, and faced with the alternative I kind of wonder, how many of us, faced with similar circumstances, wouldn't do the same thing??
Hey Buzz,:)
I would rather starve than eat human flesh. That is just my opinion.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

scandi said:
Good Morning,

Frostbite is narly. The flesh swells and turns black. Buzz, when people die from freezing in the wilderness, these bodies freeze to look normal, don't they?

I know that's kind of a bizarre question sweetie.

I was disappointed that the mountain show last night on Discovery was one I had already seen. It wasn't about Mt McKinley but rather about how a father, his wife and baby got stranded in the snow for 9 days. They all lived but the mom and baby had to have all of their toes removed as they were frostbitten. I woke up in the middle of the night and was visualizing the guy in the Everest show with the frostbitten hand that he held up. So awful!

Off to bake cookies Buzz! ;)
Hi Scandi,
I watched those shows again on Discovery On Demand.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I know that I need to get real about this but I keep hoping for a miracle headline that they just hiked down and showed up at the bottom of the mountain. I can only imagine what their families are going through.

Keep your loved ones close this holiday season!

The climbers on the Mt. Everest show payed $40,000.00 each to climb whether they reached the top or not. Apparently that is the standard fee.

Cost

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

RoughlyCollie said:
FYI at camping stores and some drug stores (at least here in New England) you can buy hand and foot warmers that last something like 8-12 hours. That would be a good thing to put in your car, too.

I'd never heard of something like that...thanks.

dark_shadows said:
Respectfully,
dark_shadows
While I don't really like the idea of eating human flesh, I don't have a problem thinking of someone eating me if they were put in a survival situation. I don't care what happens to me after I'm dead (I won't be using "me" anymore), and if that can preserve someone else's life I hope they do it.

But the actual eating kind of gives me the willies. I'd hope I'd get over it if I needed to. I bet it would be easier if I was also having to keep my kids alive, I'd do a lot of things for them that I wouldn't necessarily do for myself.

Does that make sense?

dark_shadows said:
Respectfully,
dark_shadows
More for the rest of us!

Who wants the leg?

lol--agree--"more for the rest of us'--although most feel like dark shadows,that's only because nobody here has ever starved--remember the Andes soccer team survivors from 1972--they were all teamates and best friends but they took the drastic step to eat each others bodies to survive--so did the Donner Party--I think that every single one of us would probaly resort to cannibalism in instances like that--the will to survive overcomes most taboos and personal morals,it pervades above all else

One point I would like to make here that was made very well on the climbing sites. There is a vast difference between "climbing" and "hiking". A mountain climber does not "hike" up the face of a very steep snow and ice covered mountain!

dark_shadows said:
The climbers on the Mt. Everest show payed $40,000.00 each to climb whether they reached the top or not. Apparently that is the standard fee.

Cost

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
$40,000?!?!? Yikes! I can think of better things to do with $40K, but then again I am not rich so I cna't throw money around like that!!

Peter Hamilton said:
lol--agree--"more for the rest of us'--although most feel like dark shadows,that's only because nobody here has ever starved--remember the Andes soccer team survivors from 1972--they were all teamates and best friends but they took the drastic step to eat each others bodies to survive--so did the Donner Party--I think that every single one of us would probaly resort to cannibalism in instances like that--the will to survive overcomes most taboos and personal morals,it pervades above all else
Ewww, that is disgusting....but you're right. Right NOW, in the safety and warmth of my home, will a full pantry and full fridge I can say I would NEVER do that, but put me in their shoes & I have no doubt my outlook and opinion would change dramatically.

This article says that 80 searchers and support staff were planning to go up Mt Hood on the weekend of Sept 8th to look for the bodies of Brian Hall and Jerry Cooke. Hall & Cooke have been missing on Mt Hood since December, 2006.

http://www.khou.com/news/state/stories/khou070908_tnt_mountainclimbers.b3e5dadb.html

I cannot find anything that says what the outcome of the search was and if there will be more searches in the future. Has anyone out there seen any more on this story?

This article says that 80 searchers and support staff were planning to go up Mt Hood on the weekend of Sept 8th to look for the bodies of Brian Hall and Jerry Cooke. Hall & Cooke have been missing on Mt Hood since December, 2006.

http://www.khou.com/news/state/stories/khou070908_tnt_mountainclimbers.b3e5dadb.html

I cannot find anything that says what the outcome of the search was and if there will be more searches in the future. Has anyone out there seen any more on this story?

two of the three climbers were from dallas where i live and i think i heard on the radio last week that no further searches are planned unless something (piece of equipment or body i gathered) is found.

Hi IzzyB and Mattsmom, Great to see you both ;}

I watched the news report the day they went up the mountain to search for them, and the top of Mt Hood was covered in clouds so they had to come back without finding them.

I have been waiting all September to hear any day when they will go back up. I have heard nothing on the news. I will call KOIN tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

We have just had the first new snow on the mountain yesterday and the weather is already turning to rain here in the Willamette Valley, which means more snow on the mountain.

I will be back tomorrow after I learn something. It looks like it might be awhile before they can be found and brought down.

xoxoxoxox Scandi

I watched the news report the day they went up the mountain to search for them, and the top of Mt Hood was covered in clouds so they had to come back without finding them.

I have been waiting all September to hear any day when they will go back up. I have heard nothing on the news. I will call KOIN tomorrow to see what they can tell me.

We have just had the first new snow on the mountain yesterday and the weather is already turning to rain here in the Willamette Valley, which means more snow on the mountain.

I will be back tomorrow after I learn something. It looks like it might be awhile before they can be found and brought down.

xoxoxoxox Scandi
Scandi, Good to see you; I've been wondering where you were as I hadn't seen you on WS for a while. When I saw there had been an early heavy snow storm on Mt. Hood, it made me think about you again.

xoxoxoxox Scandi
It's so good to see you Scandi!! Here's all I have on the climbers: There was an organized search for them towards the end of July, and they found the equipment the climbers stashed so they could make a rapid ascent to the summit. Here is a picture of the equipment they found:
gearstash_climbers.jpg

More at link:
http://www.katu.com/news/8641586.html I was hoping so much that they would be found this summer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back