Found Deceased OR - Meighan Cordie, 27, Yamhill County, 18 Aug 2018

"Fell"
Fell backward at high speed, and her mother driving didn't notice and then looked for her then went home forgot to call the police.
Not buying the story at all.
What a great grandmother!
Hopefully, this poor child is NOT raised by this grandmother.

I'm not saying I buy it. I'm just saying that's what investigators seemed to be going on. None of it makes any sense.

Currently there is a no contact order and she's been charged with reckless endangerment for drunk driving with her granddaughter in the car. Little, but at least it's something.

Weathers was ordered not to have any contact with Cordie’s father or her granddaughter. After court, Weathers’ family said there is more to this story we do not know but would not say anything else.
Mother appears in court for DUII after daughter died falling out of car

Interesting comment from the family.

The woman accused of DUII after her daughter fell or threw herself from their moving car will not be allowed to enter a DUII diversion program.

Weathers petitioned to enter a diversion program for that charge but a judge denied the request. She is due back in court in December.

Meighan Cordie’s mom barred from entering DUII diversion program

Meighan Cordie's mom continues to fight DUII charges from night daughter died
Jennifer Weathers, 50, faced opposition from the prosecution to enter the program. Yamhill County Circuit Judge Ladd Wiles would have made the decision after hearing arguments from both the defense and prosecution.

But Weathers’ defense attorney, Walter Todd, told the judge that Weathers no longer plans to seek diversion. Instead, Todd said he will use the next five weeks to further investigate his client’s case.

Weathers' next court date is scheduled Dec. 6 on charges of driving while under the influence of intoxicants and endangering another person, her 3-year-old granddaughter, who was in the back seat of the car when authorities believe Cordie fell or jumped out to her death. A trial date hasn't been set.

“The mother of a 27-year-old woman who investigators believe died after she tumbled out of her mother’s moving car southwest of Portland is expected to plead guilty to driving under the influence of intoxicants.”

“Weathers didn’t tell the dispatcher that she and her daughter had gotten into an argument and physical fight — with Cordie pulling out a clump of Weathers’ hair, according to a memo written by the prosecution. Prosecutors believe that Cordie then tumbled barefoot out of the car.”

Mom to plead guilty to DUII night daughter tumbled from car

“[SBM]

Jennifer Weathers, 50, was charged with DUI and reckless endangerment in October, one month after her daughter, 27-year-old Meighan Cordie, of Salem, was found dead down an embankment along Highway 18.

‘It was a terrible tragic night and one that I wished never happened,’ Weathers said after pleading guilty to DUI.

A Yamhill County deputy handcuffed her and led her away to begin serving her 120-hour jail sentence.

Weathers initially reported Cordie missing the morning after the pair attended a wedding in the rural community of Grand Island with Cordie's 3-year-old daughter Gia.

[SBM]

A friend of Peggy Holland, Gia's paternal grandmother, read a statement aloud in court about the grief she, her son and Gia have endured in the wake of Cordie's death.

Her granddaughter, who was once a happy, carefree toddler living with two parents, until ‘everything went terribly wrong.’

She was now living with her dad as her sole caregiver, undergoing counseling and slowly remembering more details from the night her mother died.

She recounted Gia waking up from nightmares screaming for her mother.

‘She should be in her mom's arms, not mine,’ Holland said.

She said Cordie was beautiful and kind.

‘She was a loving, nurturing mother who will never get to see her daughter grow up,’ Holland said.

Weathers' attorney Walter Todd said his client was taking accountability for her actions and clarified that she was being charged with DUI, not with her daughter's death.

Cordie was an adult, who, while intoxicated, willingly jumped out a vehicle and died immediately, he said.

As part of the terms of her probation, Weathers is forbidden to have any contact with Gia.

Before being sentenced, Weather said she had helped raise Gia from the day Cordie delivered her.

‘I miss them both very much, and I'm very sorry,’ she said.

Yamhill County Judge Cynthia Easterday said DUI is a serious crime that can easily escalate into manslaughter. Weathers' sentence was harsher than typical for a first time offender.

Easterday said she hoped Weathers was sorry, but wasn't sure if she was.

‘I am,’ Weathers said. ‘I really am.’” (BBM)
Meighan Cordie's mother goes to jail for driving drunk the night her daughter died

This defense attorney ... (I’m speechless).

Last edited:
5 days in jail and 3 years probation?
Seriously?
I am sick.

SHE COULD HAVE KILLED HER 3 YEAR-OLD GRANDDAUGHTER by DUI.
I am not even going to go there regarding the level of responsibility I believe she had in contributing to Meighan's death.

Please tell me why the light sentence?
Texting while driving can carry a higher sentence in Oregon!

Edited to add a thought.
JMO

because she only got DUI (I know, bad enough) but what I meant was they didn't convict her of child endangerment. they should have.

IMO, you shouldn’t be allowed to change your name while you’re on probation.
She filed before she was sentenced.

Meighan Cordie's mom files name change petition
Jennifer Weathers.jpg
"She filed the petition days before she was sentenced to 5 days in jail for DUII. She was sentenced to 3 years probation, alcohol treatment as a condition of her probation, attend a victim impact panel and complete a high risk driving course. She was also ordered to pay a $1000 fine, her license was suspended for a year and she was ordered to not have any contact with her granddaughter."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back